2016 Recruit/Commitment Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

azthrillhouse

Re: 2016 Recruit/Commitment Thread

Post by azthrillhouse »

Newportcat wrote: Thing I also love about Tate is he also plays at marquee program in Socal, Serra, so could open up a pipeline there. Seems like they produce 6-8 solid D1 players every year.
Yup this is what's the most exciting about this to me.

I always wonder about scenarios like this where you're able to get a recruit in large part because you'll let him play the position he wants to play, so I guess for me it's easy to imagine a situation where he never beats out Dawkins or Burmeister.

However, even if that happens and Tate doesn't make a huge impact, planting the flag in more high-talent high schools is definitely something we need to continue to do. Would love to see that happen w/ some of the Phoenix-area schools that we appear to be locked out of (Saguaro, Chandler, etc).
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Serra is pretty much a USC school. They have four kids from the school right now, though one is transferring. They are bringing in three more for the class of 2015. The Class of 2016 still has talent there, though just one obvious stud and a few next tier kids. But if USC wants them, they're probably going to land them.

Which is weird, because their coach is a UCLA alum.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Sean McGrew has Arizona in his top 5
Sage&Silver

Post by Sage&Silver »

BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

Tate in a playoff game vs. Centennial last Fall. That SB Nation article puts him at 5'11''? Scout says 6'2".

http://www.scout.com/mediaplayer/1441222

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/2438338/hig ... 4140768/v2
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

MrBug708 wrote:Serra is pretty much a USC school. They have four kids from the school right now, though one is transferring. They are bringing in three more for the class of 2015. The Class of 2016 still has talent there, though just one obvious stud and a few next tier kids. But if USC wants them, they're probably going to land them.

Ok but they did offer Tate, which means they wanted him, but he committed to Arizona.

Don't disagree that Serra has been a USC school for sure but we did just make a good in-road and USC doesn't always get every player from there

Also, a guy like Tate knows a lot of guys from other LA high schools probably given passing camps, etc so he can help with those guys too convincing them to look at Arizona so its a win-win deal.
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
Scummy Dick Douglas

Post by Scummy Dick Douglas »

Newportcat wrote:
MrBug708 wrote:Serra is pretty much a USC school. They have four kids from the school right now, though one is transferring. They are bringing in three more for the class of 2015. The Class of 2016 still has talent there, though just one obvious stud and a few next tier kids. But if USC wants them, they're probably going to land them.

Ok but they did offer Tate, which means they wanted him, but he committed to Arizona.

Don't disagree that Serra has been a USC school for sure but we did just make a good in-road and USC doesn't always get every player from there

Also, a guy like Tate knows a lot of guys from other LA high schools probably given passing camps, etc so he can help with those guys too convincing them to look at Arizona so its a win-win deal.
Every kid? No. Just every kid they want. SC owns Serra.
boat343

Post by boat343 »

Scummy Dick Douglas wrote:
Newportcat wrote:

Every kid? No. Just every kid they want. SC owns Serra.
So their offer to Tate was just illusory? If he would have committed they would have been like "we were just playin'!"?
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Clearly USC didn't want Tate because that's why they offered him a scholarship

I would expect this sort of logic from an ASU fan, they done learned you well
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Tate didnt have an offer to play QB nor do I think he had a commitable offer as an ATH.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

MrBug708 wrote:Tate didnt have an offer to play QB nor do I think he had a commitable offer as an ATH.
What did usc offer him at? Kicker? Long snapper?
Sage&Silver

Post by Sage&Silver »

3goggles wrote:
MrBug708 wrote:Tate didnt have an offer to play QB nor do I think he had a commitable offer as an ATH.
the position of not-QB.

let's not get defensive because of some troll. It's not the first player to turn down bigger programs to get a shot here at his preferred position.

He still will hopefully get Arizona's foot in the door somewhere down the road for other players who don't like where they fit in a pro-style system.
boat343

Post by boat343 »

What is a commitable offer? Are you guys really insinuating the primer football program in the Pac-12 extends frivolous offers?

They definitely had zero interest in him at QB. I'm pretty sure if he committed to their (apparently) ghost offer they would have loved to have him at WR. Clearly, they saw something at camp that intrigued them. But, he is head set on playing QB so we'll give him the ol' Mora Devin Fuller special.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

3goggles wrote:
ATH.
Footballjunkie

Post by Footballjunkie »

What is the status of the NCAA rule on early commitments for Football players?

Being the father of a 3.50+ female academic recruit, who is waiting until the VERY Last MINUTE for ALL of the acceptance letters to come in, it says lots about the students who commit early.
It tells me they are organized, disciplined, Intelligent, and have a great idea on what they need to do to get ahead in life.
This waiting till the last minute and playing with hats crap gets old. I understand the guy that waits till the last minute because he's not going to the local school and wants to avoid the hard time he will get from the locals, but these aren't girls we're talking about here.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Looks like they will put in a December signing period that is congruent with the JC day. Not a fan of these guys stockpiling offers as a badge of honor
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Scummy Dick Douglas

Footballjunkie wrote:What is the status of the NCAA rule on early commitments for Football players?

Being the father of a 3.50+ female academic recruit, who is waiting until the VERY Last MINUTE for ALL of the acceptance letters to come in, it says lots about the students who commit early.
It tells me they are organized, disciplined, Intelligent, and have a great idea on what they need to do to get ahead in life.
This waiting till the last minute and playing with hats crap gets old. I understand the guy that waits till the last minute because he's not going to the local school and wants to avoid the hard time he will get from the locals, but these aren't girls we're talking about here.
Is it the public announcements with hats that bothers you or that some of these kids make their decisions very late in the process?
Scummy Dick Douglas

azcat49 wrote:Looks like they will put in a December signing period that is congruent with the JC day. Not a fan of these guys stockpiling offers as a badge of honor
How would you prefer 17 year old kids receive offers?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

It's not that they receive offers its that they tweet all the ones they have received. They feign interest in schools just to get an offer when in reality they have no interest in the least

I like that RR tells them if you have great interest when can we expect your unofficial visit. Two way street
Footballjunkie

Post by Footballjunkie »

Scummy Dick Douglas wrote:
Footballjunkie wrote:What is the status of the NCAA rule on early commitments for Football players?

Is it the public announcements with hats that bothers you or that some of these kids make their decisions very late in the process?
Its the waiting very late, last day/Week, in the process that bothers me most.
Coaches and parents have to make plans also.

I guess I'm sore because I had to work my way through college and my my daughter has "a" great college (Pac-12) offering her thousands of dollars to her for a college education, up front, and she is being nonchalant about the whole process when Grandma and Grandpa have said they would pick up the difference. :evil:
Grandma & Grandpa are not getting any younger and they say if she's not going to need any money, they will give it to other relatives and charities. She is waiting on out of state Michigan and Maryland to see what they have to offer :?:
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Maryland? Oh, no, no, no, no... The place is a cess pit.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

http://sports.yahoo.com/usc/football/re ... lin-161367
Sage&Silver

Post by Sage&Silver »

Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Guy has some WHEELS and comes from a great high school in LA...but I think his listed height at 5'9 is pushing it. Looks like he was born for the spread offense

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVnfBl8Yto8

http://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/sean-ri ... -stats.htm
threenumberones

Post by threenumberones »

Some solid guys on campus yesterday:

Riley, who committed.
Keyshawn Johnson Jr. (4*)
Traveon Beck (3*)
Darnay Holmes (4*)
Jalen Cole (NR)
Javon Mitchel ('17)

http://www.azdesertswarm.com/recruiting ... ia-commits
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

Newportcat wrote:Guy has some WHEELS and comes from a great high school in LA...but I think his listed height at 5'9 is pushing it. Looks like he was born for the spread offense

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVnfBl8Yto8

http://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/sean-ri ... -stats.htm
Reminds me of Cormier. Pierre was chaos in open space. If you drew a bead on him he'd move to the space you just vacated.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

TuiTouchdown

Post by TuiTouchdown »

According to Rivals, Matt Hegarty (Center from ND) was on campus. Looking to transfer could play immediately.

https://mobile.twitter.com/MattGOAZCATS ... 4855757824

http://m.espn.go.com/ncf/story?storyId= ... rc=desktop
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

TuiTouchdown wrote:According to Rivals, Matt Hegarty (Center from ND) was on campus. Looking to transfer could play immediately.

https://mobile.twitter.com/MattGOAZCATS ... 4855757824

http://m.espn.go.com/ncf/story?storyId= ... rc=desktop
He had a stroke in 2012? Wow!
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Wow, we stole one from UCLA? That is a pretty good get
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I don't think he's actually committed.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I thought that pic twitter of ESPN was real, LOL. I am so easily fooled.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

azcat49 wrote:I thought that pic twitter of ESPN was real, LOL. I am so easily fooled.
I think it was a Matty D piece of art.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

azcat49 wrote:Wow, we stole one from UCLA? That is a pretty good get
I'm not sure UCLA leads for him.
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

MrBug708 wrote:
azcat49 wrote:Wow, we stole one from UCLA? That is a pretty good get
I'm not sure UCLA leads for him.
Who would you say does? USC? Off his twitter it seems like he has a lot of interest in us, but than again it is twitter.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

I thinks he pretty open. It does seem like UCLA and Oregon have had a strong presence in Hawaii right now. Can never turn down OL but I think he's about 4th on their chart
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

Riley is a versatile player. He's gonna be a fun weapon and if he didn't commit to us early he would have had 10+ offers. Hes a poor man's DAT, but he is still quite talented
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

Trevor Speights visited Texas A&M again recently and didn't flip so that's a good sign. Bug tell me what you know on Sean McGrew? From reading articles it just seems like he's going to UCLA. We have two RB commits (Riley is kind of a RB, but was recruited more of an athlete) Speights is wavering also. Would be great to land McGrew, but I don't feel like he's coming here.
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

MrBug708 wrote:I thinks he pretty open. It does seem like UCLA and Oregon have had a strong presence in Hawaii right now. Can never turn down OL but I think he's about 4th on their chart
Yeah he seems pretty open. Matty D made quite the impression on him and I think we got in there. I think we'll be in it till end.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

catinfl wrote:Trevor Speights visited Texas A&M again recently and didn't flip so that's a good sign. Bug tell me what you know on Sean McGrew? From reading articles it just seems like he's going to UCLA. We have two RB commits (Riley is kind of a RB, but was recruited more of an athlete) Speights is wavering also. Would be great to land McGrew, but I don't feel like he's coming here.
Apparently UCLA took him for granted and he was feeling other schools, but UCLA had him in for a visit and I think it would be a small surprise if he doesnt come here. He's probably a slot guy/scat back, but he's talented.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

catinfl wrote:
MrBug708 wrote:I thinks he pretty open. It does seem like UCLA and Oregon have had a strong presence in Hawaii right now. Can never turn down OL but I think he's about 4th on their chart
Yeah he seems pretty open. Matty D made quite the impression on him and I think we got in there. I think we'll be in it till end.
Seems like it's about time for MattyD to get a coaching gig right? He can probably do a lot more damage there. We had a guy like that, Angus McClure, and we ended up moving him to DL coach to maximize his ability to recruit
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Been talk of that but it might be a few years
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

to be completely honest I don't think he wants to coach. could change but I really feel like he likes where he is at. more job security and absolutely loves focusing on what he does.
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

MrBug708 wrote:
catinfl wrote:
Seems like it's about time for MattyD to get a coaching gig right? He can probably do a lot more damage there. We had a guy like that, Angus McClure, and we ended up moving him to DL coach to maximize his ability to recruit
From what I know I don't think he wants to be a coach. It might change in the future but as of now he doesn't want too
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

For those of you who don't have premium and are thinking of getting it scout is way to go imo. Jason Scheer is good at his job. We had a big visitor today
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

They had talked about doing some recruiting shuffling as our best recruiters have to stay on campus. Could have been someone else but I thought for sure they were talking about Matty D
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

catinfl wrote:For those of you who don't have premium and are thinking of getting it scout is way to go imo. Jason Scheer is good at his job. We had a big visitor today
Why not share with your Bear Down brethren here? It's not like anybody here will get pissed.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »