Fired Casteel

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

azgreg

Re: Fire Casteel

Post by azgreg »

Merkin wrote:I didn't realize Casteel was exempt from recruiting.

Not really all that surprising how the UA can't get elite players when other schools sent out coordinators, and UA only sends out position coaches.
Agree. I believe that recruiting is everything in college football.
FightWildcatsFight

Post by FightWildcatsFight »

People are really blaming the defense for yesterday? ASu didn't have a first down until like their fitfth drive. Our problem in the first half was our offense. We couldn't get a first down to save our lives. It was only a matter of time until the dam finally gave. Look at what happened in the second half, we started moving the ball and the defense had time to regroup on the sidelines. I agree the defense has been bad but it's not why we lost yesterday.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

FightWildcatsFight wrote:People are really blaming the defense for yesterday? ASu didn't have a first down until like their fitfth drive. Our problem in the first half was our offense.
People trot this argument out and it's so weird to me. The defense gave up all the points right, or at least 38 of them?

I too wish our offense had scored 53 points so we could win the game, but that's a pretty tall order.

The 37 points we did score should be more than enough to win a game against a completely mediocre 5-5 team. Sadly our D game up 31 in the first half alone to that mediocre team, making a win nearly impossible.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

FightWildcatsFight wrote:People are really blaming the defense for yesterday? ASu didn't have a first down until like their fifth drive. Our problem in the first half was our offense. We couldn't get a first down to save our lives. It was only a matter of time until the dam finally gave. Look at what happened in the second half, we started moving the ball and the defense had time to regroup on the sidelines. I agree the defense has been bad but it's not why we lost yesterday.
They had 1 first down in their 1st drive (by penalty), 2 in their 3rd drive, and TD's on their 4th and 5th drive.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

SCCats wrote:
FightWildcatsFight wrote:People are really blaming the defense for yesterday? ASu didn't have a first down until like their fitfth drive. Our problem in the first half was our offense.
People trot this argument out and it's so weird to me. The defense gave up all the points right, or at least 38 of them?

I too wish our offense had scored 53 points so we could win the game, but that's a pretty tall order.

The 37 points we did score should be more than enough to win a game against a completely mediocre 5-5 team. Sadly our D game up 31 in the first half alone to that mediocre team, making a win nearly impossible.
Negating defensive TD's, ASU out scored us 38-30. They were +1 in takeaways, had fewer penalties, and out gained us 565 yards O to 449. They also led TOP by ~5 min.

We did a good job keeping it close and within reach, but in reality they won every aspect of that game. Hopefully we can get them next year. Aside from the crazy streak we had starting 30+ years ago, they've beaten us more than we've beaten them anyway.
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

azgreg wrote:
Merkin wrote:I didn't realize Casteel was exempt from recruiting.

Not really all that surprising how the UA can't get elite players when other schools sent out coordinators, and UA only sends out position coaches.
Agree. I believe that recruiting is everything in college football.
Yes its been known for a while that Casteel is exempt from recruiting. Let that concept sink into your brain for a moment. The guy who is the top dog who runs and scheme's for our defense and who is also the LB coach at that, does not have to leave his recliner and recruit. The other position coaches have to do their own recruiting and pick up the dead weight for the other guys who don't want to.

Now throw in Karlawick the DL coach who apparently has that same "non-recruit" clause and even a monkey can clearly see this is a potential problem.

Honest to goodness how does such special treatment irresponsible crap like that even possible at a tweener low-level school like Arizona that already has a crap ton of things to overcome.

Honest to god I don't know how anyone including Greg Bryne and RR could defend such a contract loophole, but there are folks who do and will and you will hear from them shortly.

3-2-1............But, but, but, but.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Sorry if he doesn't recruit and continuously fields mediocre to poor defenses...casteel needs to be fired asap. Hire someone who can actually do the job of a DC
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

I think it's well known that Casteel doesn't like to travel to recruit, but he's not "exempt" (whatever the hell that means).

He flew to California twice just for Scooby:

http://www.pdpreps.com/news/article/422 ... bys-focus/
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

UAEebs86 wrote:I think it's well known that Casteel doesn't like to travel to recruit, but he's not "exempt" (whatever the hell that means).

Every member of the staff went to see Scooby. Hell they probably took the janitor and the Stadium landscaping crew.

30 seconds to counter that recruiting loophole was far faster than I had envisioned.

Well done Eeb's.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Gladiator Cat wrote:
UAEebs86 wrote:I think it's well known that Casteel doesn't like to travel to recruit, but he's not "exempt" (whatever the hell that means).

Every member of the staff went to see Scooby. Hell they probably took the janitor and the Stadium landscaping crew.Just

30 seconds to counter that recruiting loophole was far faster than I had envisioned.

Well done Eeb's.
Not defending his lack of effort in this area, he's just not "exempt". Sorry for posting facts.
-JB
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

ASUHATER! wrote:Sorry if he doesn't recruit and continuously fields mediocre to poor defenses...casteel needs to be fired asap. Hire someone who can actually do the job of a DC
Name a DC that will replace Casteel if he get let go.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

cordera89 wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:Sorry if he doesn't recruit and continuously fields mediocre to poor defenses...casteel needs to be fired asap. Hire someone who can actually do the job of a DC
That's a great f*cking response.

As long as we aren't dead last, we should be petrified to make a change? As long as ther is a POSSIBILITY we could do worse, let's stick with the status quo! Well we are pretty f*cking close to being dead last...

If that is not a loser mentality, I am not sure what is. Are we scared of our own shadow, too?
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

Harvey Specter wrote:
azcat49 wrote:I think we just need to change a fewcthings, such as both Casteel and Kirelawich do not recruit. To me that is symptomatic of the problems with our defense.

This big uglies that are top line are recruited hard by there position coach and DC. I am not as sold on it being the scheme as in the Larry Smith days the lineman had to same responsibilities as these guys today at AZ.

We need to some top line recruiters on defense and retire the old man and get Casteel on the road
Great post 49 and I agree.

If I knew that Casteel was exempt from having to recruit, I forgot. The fact that we are paying a DC $700K per year to field the defenses he has fielded, and give him a pass on having to recruit, would be funny if it was not so sad.

I am not sure I believe that Byrne should dictate to RR what changes he should make to his staff... But he better put his foot down on this issue.

He is not good enough to get that kind of special treatment and that kind of pay. That's an epic fail.
When did Casteel start making $700K?
Casteel took a slight pay cut coming to AZ from WV. Last year, USA Today reported Casteel made $500k
TuiTouchdown

Post by TuiTouchdown »

Harvey Specter wrote:
SCCats wrote:

Negating defensive TD's, ASU out scored us 38-30. They were +1 in takeaways, had fewer penalties, and out gained us 565 yards O to 449. They also led TOP by ~5 min.

We did a good job keeping it close and within reach, but in reality they won every aspect of that game. Hopefully we can get them next year. Aside from the crazy streak we had starting 30+ years ago, they've beaten us more than we've beaten them anyway.
True, but when our offense is going 3 and out basically the entire first quarter, how are we expecting our D to hold? The team relies on the offense running more plays than the other team (not winning time of possession, but overwhelming them with a lot of plays and quickly).

Plus, 3 of their TDs came on big plays over the top. That is probably the one spot we should look at if anything. And it's been a problem for a few years.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

Harvey Specter wrote:
cordera89 wrote:
That's a great f*cking response.

As long as we aren't dead last, we should be petrified to make a change? As long as ther is a POSSIBILITY we could do worse, let's stick with the status quo! Well we are pretty f*cking close to being dead last...

If that is not a loser mentality, I am not sure what is. Are we scared of our own shadow, too?
It only take one game for that possible outcome to happen or how year 5 will look. RR is staying and he is likely going to keep Casteel as DC. Now loyalty is a strong bond among friends, But that bond can be broken depending on how Petrified Casteel can improve the defense. Byrnes doesn't have tell RR what to do or how to do his job. Sooner or later RR will make that change on DC and Defensive staff it only matter time.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

cordera89 wrote:
So you'd rather just keep the status quo of shit instead of taking a chance? We can't be any worse with a new DC. Most likely would be better. But you'd just rather say "well we would never get anyone to work here, so let's give up and accept awful defenses for eternity"

I don't think that way.

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Not that RR will get rid of Casteel, he won't but since we are talking about pipe dreams, what about the Virginia Tech DC? Bud Foster is one of the best in the business and may be out of a job if the new HC brings in his own guys.

In any event, I bet half the DCs on these teams would be willing to talk to Arizona. Most coaching positions outside of HC are just year to year.

This is amazing, Cats are up to 113th in total defense. Almost as good as the 110th they finished last year.

Cats are up to 124th ins red zone defense too, out of 127. So that's an improvement.

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/ ... eam/704/p3" target="_blank
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

When you're talking about Bud Foster and DCs of that ilk, you're talking about ponying up some big time cash. Could be close to $1 million per year.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Merkin wrote:Not that RR will get rid of Casteel, he won't but since we are talking about pipe dreams, what about the Virginia Tech DC? Bud Foster is one of the best in the business and may be out of a job if the new HC brings in his own guys.

In any event, I bet half the DCs on these teams would be willing to talk to Arizona. Most coaching positions outside of HC are just year to year.

This is amazing, Cats are up to 113th in total defense. Almost as good as the 110th they finished last year.

Cats are up to 124th ins red zone defense too, out of 127. So that's an improvement.

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/ ... eam/704/p3" target="_blank
Which begs the question of how much better we really would have been without all the injuries.

Of course on the the flip side, some could counter with "This is Casteel's best coaching job yet... We performed almost the same as we did last season despite losing a ton of guys".

Bottom line... Our defense has been awful for 4 years regardless of who we do or don't have available.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Harvey Specter wrote: Bottom line... Our defense has been awful for 4 years regardless of who we do or don't have available.
I think it was Greg Hansen who said that the Nick Wilson injury was worse for the team than the Scooby Wright one.

Which makes sense, the defense would have been awful anyway, and the offense really suffered without Wilson.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Won 6 games with that abortion of a defense and 10 games last year. Wow RR is a genius LOL.

That is just pathetic beyond almost belief
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

ASUHATER! wrote:
cordera89 wrote:
So you'd rather just keep the status quo of shit instead of taking a chance? We can't be any worse with a new DC. Most likely would be better. But you'd just rather say "well we would never get anyone to work here, so let's give up and accept awful defenses for eternity"

I don't think that way.

Let me break it down to you since you think RR and Arizona should take a 50/50 chance on of replacing a DC that problably fighting for his job next season if Everyone stays. Ok Who do you know out of 125 schools of DC or Former DC that would replace Casteel under RR coaching tree? And which one out of those 125 schools with a DC or a Former DC would like to come Tucson, Arizona to improve our 110 rank Defense in PAC 12 south.

Now if the criteria is to be met on WC ties, Recruit and Develop, Scheming and game planning and can he do with less talented player on our roster. That RR will be shopping for MW type DC or AZ high school coaches. My choices would be these guys.

Ron English Former Michigan DC
Greg Mattison Former Michigan DC/DL
Gene Chizik NC DC
Brady Hoke Former HC Michigan/ DL coach.
Will Muschamp Auburn DC
Randy Shannon Former Miami DC
Ed Orgeron LSU DL coach
Kevin Steele LSU DC
Bud Foster VT DC
Jeremy Pruitt Georgia DC.
Galen Scott Memphis DC.
Todd Orlando Houston DC.
Chad Glasgow TCU Co DC.
Mike Stoop Oklahoma DC.
John Pease Utah DC.

Which one of these DC/DL or Former DC will come to Arizona to replace Casteel and coach D under RR.
TuiTouchdown

Post by TuiTouchdown »

cordera89 wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:
cordera89 wrote:

I don't think that way.

Let me break it down to you since you think RR and Arizona should take a 50/50 chance on of replacing a DC that problably fighting for his job next season if Everyone stays. Ok Who do you know out of 125 schools of DC or Former DC that would replace Casteel under RR coaching tree? And which one out of those 125 schools with a DC or a Former DC would like to come Tucson, Arizona to improve our 110 rank Defense in PAC 12 south.

Now if the criteria is to be met on WC ties, Recruit and Develop, Scheming and game planning and can he do with less talented player on our roster. That RR will be shopping for MW type DC or AZ high school coaches. My choices would be these guys.

Gene Chizik NC DC
Will Muschamp Auburn DC
Ed Orgeron LSU DL coach
Kevin Steele LSU DC
Bud Foster VT DC
Galen Scott Memphis DC.
Todd Orlando Houston DC.
Chad Glasgow TCU Co DC.
Mike Stoop Oklahoma DC.
John Pease Utah DC.

Which one of these DC/DL or Former DC will come to Arizona to replace Casteel and coach D under RR.
Mike Stoops would be incredible. If I remember correctly he used to live in Tucson for a few years, so has amazing ties to the area. Would be able to recruit like gangbusters.

/s
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Wasn't it Mark who was really the genius behind the defense, not Mike?

Mark just had 3 straight losing seasons as UK HC, but seems to be making slow progress.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

:lol:
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

cordera89 wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:
cordera89 wrote:

I don't think that way.

Gene Chizik NC DC
Will Muschamp Auburn DC
Ed Orgeron LSU DL coach
Kevin Steele LSU DC
Bud Foster VT DC
Galen Scott Memphis DC.
Todd Orlando Houston DC.
Chad Glasgow TCU Co DC.
Mike Stoop Oklahoma DC.
John Pease Utah DC.

That list isn't long enough; I only count 15 names.

There are 112 DC's who have outperformed our defense this season.

If you want to highlight the injury issues, then find the 109 DC's that bettered our defensive performance last season.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

Boise State Broncos Mountain West Marcel Yates
Appalachian State Mountaineers Nate Woody
USC Trojans Justin Wilcox
Bowling Green Falcons Brian Ward
Charlotte 49ers Matt Wallerstedt
Notre Dame Fighting Irish Brian VanGorder
New Mexico State Aggies Zane Vance
Fresno State Bulldogs Nick Toth
Rice Owls Chris Thurmond
Texas State Bobcats John Thompson
Virginia Cavaliers Jon Tenuta
Colorado State Rams Tyson Summers
Oklahoma Sooners Mike Stoops
UTEP Miners Scott Stoker
LSU Tigers Kevin Steele
Wyoming Cowboys Mountain Steve Stannard
Oklahoma State Cowboys Glenn Spencer
Temple Owls Phil Snow
Arkansas Razorbacks Robb Smith
East Carolina Pirates Rick Smith
Louisiana-Lafayette Ragin' Cajuns Melvin Smith / James Willis
Alabama Crimson Tide Kirby Smart
Oregon State Beavers Kalani Sitake
Memphis Tigers Galen Scott
Air Force Falcons Mountain West Steve Russ
Rutgers Scarlet Knights Joe Rossi
Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets Ted Roof
Tulane Green Wave Jason Rollins / Lionel Washington
San José State Spartans Mountain Greg Robinson
Penn State Nittany Lions Brent Pry / Bob Shoop
Cincinnati Bearcats Robert Prunty
Georgia Bulldogs Jeremy Pruitt
Western Michigan Broncos Ed Pinkham
Oregon Ducks Don Pellum
Utah Utes John Pease
South Alabama Jaguars Travis Pearson
Miami RedHawks Matt Pawlowski
Iowa Hawkeyes Phil Parker
Missouri Tigers Barry Odom
Tulsa Golden Hurricane Brian Norwood / Bill Young
Middle Tennessee Blue Raiders Tyrone Nix
Northern Illinois Huskies Jay Niemann
Louisiana-Monroe Warhawk Adam Waugh
UTSA Roadrunners Neal Neathery
Houston Cougars Todd Orlando
Old Dominion Monarchs Rich Nagy
Auburn Tigers Will Muschamp
Georgia State Panthers Jesse Minter
Eastern Michigan Eagles Brad McCaslin
Hawaiʻi Rainbow Tom Mason
Vanderbilt Commodores Derek Mason
UMass Minutemen Tom Masella
SMU Mustangs Van Malone
San Diego State Aztecs Rocky Long
Colorado Buffaloes Jim Leavitt
Washington Huskies Pete Kwiatkowski
Troy Trojans Vic Koenning
Indiana Hoosiers Brian Knorr
Ball State Cardinals Kevin Kelly
Florida State Seminoles Charles Kelly
California Golden Bears Art Kaufman
Ole Miss Rebels SEC Jason Jones / Dave Wommack
Tennessee Volunteers John Jancek
NC State Wolfpack Dave Huxtable
Purdue Boilermakers Greg Hudson
BYU Cougars Independent Nick Howell
Florida International Panthers Matt House
Western Kentucky Hilltoppers Nick Holt
South Carolina Gamecocks Jon Hoke / Lorenzo Ward
Clemson Tigers Marion Hobby / Brent Venables
Marshall Thundering Herd Chuck Heater
Toledo Rockets Jon Heacock
Kansas State Wildcats Tom Hayes
Northwestern Wildcats Mike Hankwitz
Washington State Cougars Alex Grinch
Navy Midshipmen Buddy Green
Louisville Cardinals Todd Grantham
West Virginia Mountaineers Tony Gibson
Texas Tech Red Raiders David Gibbs / Mike Smith
Kent State Golden Flashes Brian George
Virginia Tech Hokies Bud Foster
Wake Forest Demon Deacons Mike Elko
Kentucky Wildcats D.J. Eliot
Michigan Wolverines D.J. Durkin
Southern Miss Golden Eagles David Duggan
Maryland Terrapins Keith Dudzinski
Miami Hurricanes Mark D'Onofrio
Mississippi State Bulldogs Manny Diaz
Georgia Southern Eagles Jack Curtis
TCU Horned Frogs DeMontie Cross / Chad Glasglow
North Texas Mean Green Chris Cosh
New Mexico Lobos Kevin Cosgrove
Pittsburgh Panthers Josh Conklin
Duke Blue Devils Jim Collins / Jim Knowles
Florida Gators SEC Geoff Collins / Randy Shannon
Central Michigan Greg Colby
Utah State Aggies Kevin Clune
Minnesota Golden Gophers Tracy Claeys
North Carolina Tar Heel Gene Chizik
Texas A&M Aggies John Chavis
Arkansas State Red Wolves Joe Cauthen
Arizona Wildcats Jeff Casteel
Ohio Bobcats Jimmy Burrow
Iowa State Cyclones Wally Burnham
Syracuse Orange Chuck Bullough
Connecticut Huskies Vincent Brown / Anthony Poindexter
Boston College Eagles ACC Steve Addazio 2013 Todd Fitch Don Brown
UCF Knights Chuck Bresnahan
Idaho Vandals Mike Breske
UCLA Bruins Tom Bradley
Kansas Jayhawks Clint Bowen / Kenny Perry
Buffalo Bulls Brian Borland
Nevada Wolf Scott Boone
Baylor Bears Phil Bennett
Florida Atlantic Roc Bellantoni
Texas Longhorns Vance Bedford
Army Black Knights Jay Bateman
Michigan State Spartans Harlon Barnett / Mike Tressel
Illinois Fighting Illini Tim Banks / Mike Phair
Nebraska Cornhuskers Mark Banker / Hank Hughes
Arizona State Sun Devils Chris Ball / Keith Patterson
Louisiana Tech Bulldogs Blake Baker
UNLV Rebels Mountain Kent Baer
Ohio State Buckeyes Chris Ash / Luke Fickell
Wisconsin Badgers Dave Aranda
Stanford Cardinal Lance Anderson
Akron Zips Chuck Amato
South Florida Bulls David Reaves Tom Allen

Ok here your list of all the DC out of 128. Now the question is, Which one of them would replace Casteel if he was either Let Go, Resign, Fired, Or demoted to Co DC with another DC. Also you can take one of the post that listed Ranks of all 128 teams in the D category, One more thing? Which one of them is willing to come to Arizona, Coach under RR as his DC, Can they Recruit and Develop in West Coast area including in Arizona. Take your time with it.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

How long did that take you?
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

Bravo :!:
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

azgreg wrote:How long did that take you?
It took about an hours. All I did was copy and paste the entire list just cut the HC and OC in which that was a bitch to do.

It all of the DC, Know if RR stays for fifth season, this list should be something for everyone to look at of their dream wish of who they like to hired as the new DC if Casteel was let go or resign or demoted
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

RazorsEdgeAZ wrote:Bravo :!:
It isn't bravo, Harvey wanted me to make a list so I gave him one. All I want to know is, If RR does decide to bring someone new on the Defense staff this list of DC should be something for us fans to debate and decide who we rather want as DC. But that up too RR thou if he chooses to keep Casteel and not make any changes.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

If, and that's a big if RR brings another DC, he doesn't have to be an existing DC. So cordera I need you to put together a list of all the defensive position coaches in college football. Don't forget to include FCS and division II.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

azgreg wrote:If, and that's a big if RR brings another DC, he doesn't have to be an existing DC. So cordera I need you to put together a list of all the defensive position coaches in college football. Don't forget to include FCS and division II.
I don't think an FCS or D2 DC would help in this situation, But their also another issue with it thou. Will Casteel work with another DC and will he accept being Demoted as a Co DC.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

cordera89 wrote:Boise State Broncos Mountain West Marcel Yates
Appalachian State Mountaineers Nate Woody
USC Trojans Justin Wilcox
Bowling Green Falcons Brian Ward
Charlotte 49ers Matt Wallerstedt
Notre Dame Fighting Irish Brian VanGorder
New Mexico State Aggies Zane Vance
Fresno State Bulldogs Nick Toth
Rice Owls Chris Thurmond
Texas State Bobcats John Thompson
Virginia Cavaliers Jon Tenuta
Colorado State Rams Tyson Summers
Oklahoma Sooners Mike Stoops
UTEP Miners Scott Stoker
LSU Tigers Kevin Steele
Wyoming Cowboys Mountain Steve Stannard
Oklahoma State Cowboys Glenn Spencer
Temple Owls Phil Snow
Arkansas Razorbacks Robb Smith
East Carolina Pirates Rick Smith
Louisiana-Lafayette Ragin' Cajuns Melvin Smith / James Willis
Alabama Crimson Tide Kirby Smart
Oregon State Beavers Kalani Sitake
Memphis Tigers Galen Scott
Air Force Falcons Mountain West Steve Russ
Rutgers Scarlet Knights Joe Rossi
Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets Ted Roof
Tulane Green Wave Jason Rollins / Lionel Washington
San José State Spartans Mountain Greg Robinson
Penn State Nittany Lions Brent Pry / Bob Shoop
Cincinnati Bearcats Robert Prunty
Georgia Bulldogs Jeremy Pruitt
Western Michigan Broncos Ed Pinkham
Oregon Ducks Don Pellum
Utah Utes John Pease
South Alabama Jaguars Travis Pearson
Miami RedHawks Matt Pawlowski
Iowa Hawkeyes Phil Parker
Missouri Tigers Barry Odom
Tulsa Golden Hurricane Brian Norwood / Bill Young
Middle Tennessee Blue Raiders Tyrone Nix
Northern Illinois Huskies Jay Niemann
Louisiana-Monroe Warhawk Adam Waugh
UTSA Roadrunners Neal Neathery
Houston Cougars Todd Orlando
Old Dominion Monarchs Rich Nagy
Auburn Tigers Will Muschamp
Georgia State Panthers Jesse Minter
Eastern Michigan Eagles Brad McCaslin
Hawaiʻi Rainbow Tom Mason
Vanderbilt Commodores Derek Mason
UMass Minutemen Tom Masella
SMU Mustangs Van Malone
San Diego State Aztecs Rocky Long
Colorado Buffaloes Jim Leavitt
Washington Huskies Pete Kwiatkowski
Troy Trojans Vic Koenning
Indiana Hoosiers Brian Knorr
Ball State Cardinals Kevin Kelly
Florida State Seminoles Charles Kelly
California Golden Bears Art Kaufman
Ole Miss Rebels SEC Jason Jones / Dave Wommack
Tennessee Volunteers John Jancek
NC State Wolfpack Dave Huxtable
Purdue Boilermakers Greg Hudson
BYU Cougars Independent Nick Howell
Florida International Panthers Matt House
Western Kentucky Hilltoppers Nick Holt
South Carolina Gamecocks Jon Hoke / Lorenzo Ward
Clemson Tigers Marion Hobby / Brent Venables
Marshall Thundering Herd Chuck Heater
Toledo Rockets Jon Heacock
Kansas State Wildcats Tom Hayes
Northwestern Wildcats Mike Hankwitz
Washington State Cougars Alex Grinch
Navy Midshipmen Buddy Green
Louisville Cardinals Todd Grantham
West Virginia Mountaineers Tony Gibson
Texas Tech Red Raiders David Gibbs / Mike Smith
Kent State Golden Flashes Brian George
Virginia Tech Hokies Bud Foster
Wake Forest Demon Deacons Mike Elko
Kentucky Wildcats D.J. Eliot
Michigan Wolverines D.J. Durkin
Southern Miss Golden Eagles David Duggan
Maryland Terrapins Keith Dudzinski
Miami Hurricanes Mark D'Onofrio
Mississippi State Bulldogs Manny Diaz
Georgia Southern Eagles Jack Curtis
TCU Horned Frogs DeMontie Cross / Chad Glasglow
North Texas Mean Green Chris Cosh
New Mexico Lobos Kevin Cosgrove
Pittsburgh Panthers Josh Conklin
Duke Blue Devils Jim Collins / Jim Knowles
Florida Gators SEC Geoff Collins / Randy Shannon
Central Michigan Greg Colby
Utah State Aggies Kevin Clune
Minnesota Golden Gophers Tracy Claeys
North Carolina Tar Heel Gene Chizik
Texas A&M Aggies John Chavis
Arkansas State Red Wolves Joe Cauthen
Arizona Wildcats Jeff Casteel
Ohio Bobcats Jimmy Burrow
Iowa State Cyclones Wally Burnham
Syracuse Orange Chuck Bullough
Connecticut Huskies Vincent Brown / Anthony Poindexter
Boston College Eagles ACC Steve Addazio 2013 Todd Fitch Don Brown
UCF Knights Chuck Bresnahan
Idaho Vandals Mike Breske
UCLA Bruins Tom Bradley
Kansas Jayhawks Clint Bowen / Kenny Perry
Buffalo Bulls Brian Borland
Nevada Wolf Scott Boone
Baylor Bears Phil Bennett
Florida Atlantic Roc Bellantoni
Texas Longhorns Vance Bedford
Army Black Knights Jay Bateman
Michigan State Spartans Harlon Barnett / Mike Tressel
Illinois Fighting Illini Tim Banks / Mike Phair
Nebraska Cornhuskers Mark Banker / Hank Hughes
Arizona State Sun Devils Chris Ball / Keith Patterson
Louisiana Tech Bulldogs Blake Baker
UNLV Rebels Mountain Kent Baer
Ohio State Buckeyes Chris Ash / Luke Fickell
Wisconsin Badgers Dave Aranda
Stanford Cardinal Lance Anderson
Akron Zips Chuck Amato
South Florida Bulls David Reaves Tom Allen

Ok here your list of all the DC out of 128. Now the question is, Which one of them would replace Casteel if he was either Let Go, Resign, Fired, Or demoted to Co DC with another DC. Also you can take one of the post that listed Ranks of all 128 teams in the D category, One more thing? Which one of them is willing to come to Arizona, Coach under RR as his DC, Can they Recruit and Develop in West Coast area including in Arizona. Take your time with it.
Now that was a yeoman's effort.

I'd target anyone ahead of us on the list that is currently employed at a non BCS program... And anyone at a BCS conference program that makes <$500K. That should give us a list of reasonable targets.

As for recruiting AZ and the West Coast. Any one that could is a bonus but not a prerequisite considering our current DC is exempt from doing either. That still stuns me.

You're a good dude, Cordera, and I mean that sincerely. You do your damnedest to stay positive and you clearly love the Cats. Hats' off to you... You are a better fan than me.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

azgreg wrote:If, and that's a big if RR brings another DC, he doesn't have to be an existing DC. So cordera I need you to put together a list of all the defensive position coaches in college football. Don't forget to include FCS and division II.
-JB
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

I have never posted here before, I probably won't post again. More than likely I'll be booted out of here and I don't really care. Most of you are idiots. You come in here and you piss on the players and piss on the coaches and act like you know what you're talking about. I think some of you are even logging on here under several different nicknames just to argue with yourselves. You're low life bottom feeders, coach wannabes and self proclaimed experts. We've had four years of winning football and this will be four bowl games so lets all jump on the bandwagon here and fire someone. Out of all the posts I've read on this entire board, I only saw one person get it right. We didn't lose that game to ASU because of the defense. We lost it in the first half because the offense couldn't move the football. Our big halftime adjustment was we started moving the ball and that rotten no talent badly coached defense held those butt sniffers to one touchdown and I think about 170 yards of total offense. I saw another post where someone posted "I know we've had a lot of injuries but....." That person needs to shoot themselves. A lot of injuries? These weren't a lot of injuries, these were catastrophic injuries. Can anyone here tell me of any team they remember anywhere that had this many injuries on a defense? There's an elephant in the room and it rolled over the top of you knotheads and you didn't even see it. Every week, these players went out and played their guts out for you. A lot of them playing hurt and in pain and these coaches pieced it all back together every week, motivating and keeping them focused. They actually went a couple of weeks without another injury and look what they did, played SC down to the wire and beat a tenth ranked Utah team. I think this is has been one of the most phenomenal coaching jobs I've ever seen. I was looking at those defense rankings someone posted and we're basically the same as last year. What's the difference between this year and last year? Well for one thing almost every offense we played is better than last year and this year we played them with 2nd, 3rd and 4th string players because of injuries and you idiots are pissing and moaning. You dipsticks make me sick and Gimino and Hansen where ever you are F@%k you too.
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

I feel a lot of the same frustrations with this board as you. I've been avoiding posting my feelings on this subject.

Casteel has had top 10 defenses in the past - the dude is a well respected DC in football circles. As in people who get paid to coach the game, not message board posters. He gets a pass from me this year because of injuries and games without Soloman getting knocked out twice while sliding. One cannot coach and make in game adjustments when the offense goes 3 and out repeatedly. Plus it puts immense pressure on already thin and beat up defensive personnel.

Casteel isn't the problem this season, and hopefully we have developed depth for next year by going so deep into the roster to plug holes. This season was a perfect shit storm of injuries and no bye week. We would have beat the Scum with Anu, that's what really chaps my ass.

/rant off
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

I thought last week's and the week before's games were very well coached. Its just lack of depth and an O that kept the D out during a hot day. Normally, this D is made to be on the field for a while since the O is suppose to keep scoring (in theory). I think its designed to combat the other team's effort in trying to hurry up and keep pace but it emphasizes turnovers. The TO's came in bunches last year but not this year. I do think the WSU was a poor game plan. They knew what they needed to do but didnt adjust to the players not being able to get it done. The change to more blitzing changed the USC game to a close L, the Utah to a close W, and kept Tempe in check for the first and last parts of the game (the middle was forgettable).
michcat

Post by michcat »

tgrumpy2 wrote:I have never posted here before, I probably won't post again. More than likely I'll be booted out of here and I don't really care. Most of you are idiots. You come in here and you piss on the players and piss on the coaches and act like you know what you're talking about. I think some of you are even logging on here under several different nicknames just to argue with yourselves. You're low life bottom feeders, coach wannabes and self proclaimed experts. We've had four years of winning football and this will be four bowl games so lets all jump on the bandwagon here and fire someone. Out of all the posts I've read on this entire board, I only saw one person get it right. We didn't lose that game to ASU because of the defense. We lost it in the first half because the offense couldn't move the football. Our big halftime adjustment was we started moving the ball and that rotten no talent badly coached defense held those butt sniffers to one touchdown and I think about 170 yards of total offense. I saw another post where someone posted "I know we've had a lot of injuries but....." That person needs to shoot themselves. A lot of injuries? These weren't a lot of injuries, these were catastrophic injuries. Can anyone here tell me of any team they remember anywhere that had this many injuries on a defense? There's an elephant in the room and it rolled over the top of you knotheads and you didn't even see it. Every week, these players went out and played their guts out for you. A lot of them playing hurt and in pain and these coaches pieced it all back together every week, motivating and keeping them focused. They actually went a couple of weeks without another injury and look what they did, played SC down to the wire and beat a tenth ranked Utah team. I think this is has been one of the most phenomenal coaching jobs I've ever seen. I was looking at those defense rankings someone posted and we're basically the same as last year. What's the difference between this year and last year? Well for one thing almost every offense we played is better than last year and this year we played them with 2nd, 3rd and 4th string players because of injuries and you idiots are pissing and moaning. You dipsticks make me sick and Gimino and Hansen where ever you are F@%k you too.
Rich rod. Is that you???

Great post!
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

tgrumpy2 wrote:I have never posted here before, I probably won't post again. More than likely I'll be booted out of here and I don't really care. Most of you are idiots. You come in here and you piss on the players and piss on the coaches and act like you know what you're talking about. I think some of you are even logging on here under several different nicknames just to argue with yourselves. You're low life bottom feeders, coach wannabes and self proclaimed experts. We've had four years of winning football and this will be four bowl games so lets all jump on the bandwagon here and fire someone. Out of all the posts I've read on this entire board, I only saw one person get it right. We didn't lose that game to ASU because of the defense. We lost it in the first half because the offense couldn't move the football. Our big halftime adjustment was we started moving the ball and that rotten no talent badly coached defense held those butt sniffers to one touchdown and I think about 170 yards of total offense. I saw another post where someone posted "I know we've had a lot of injuries but....." That person needs to shoot themselves. A lot of injuries? These weren't a lot of injuries, these were catastrophic injuries. Can anyone here tell me of any team they remember anywhere that had this many injuries on a defense? There's an elephant in the room and it rolled over the top of you knotheads and you didn't even see it. Every week, these players went out and played their guts out for you. A lot of them playing hurt and in pain and these coaches pieced it all back together every week, motivating and keeping them focused. They actually went a couple of weeks without another injury and look what they did, played SC down to the wire and beat a tenth ranked Utah team. I think this is has been one of the most phenomenal coaching jobs I've ever seen. I was looking at those defense rankings someone posted and we're basically the same as last year. What's the difference between this year and last year? Well for one thing almost every offense we played is better than last year and this year we played them with 2nd, 3rd and 4th string players because of injuries and you idiots are pissing and moaning. You dipsticks make me sick and Gimino and Hansen where ever you are F@%k you too.
Jerryd kids?

Sorry if we don't like having an abysmal defense every year.

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

michcat wrote: Rich rod. Is that you???

Great post!
I thought it was Jeff Casteel's son.

Double Eagle Flex under Rich Ellerson was a top 10 defense too, but now OCs have figured out how to beat it. Time has come for the 3-3-5 too. Don't forget last year's 110th rated defense with big play guys Scooby and Bondurant.

UA D did do better the second half v. ASU, but ASU was more into running out the clock mode, and it's hard to play any defense when your offense throws a couple of Pick 6s. Defense wasn't hear as tired the second half too since Dawkins had some very nice scoring drives. Nothing worse for defense than your O going 3 and out. Just can't get a blow.
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

I finally got around to doing this but based on a depth chart heading into camp, we were looking at this:

1 2 3
DL Reggie Gilbert Timmy Hamilton (Transferred)
DL Marcus Griffin Parker Zellers Sharif Williams
DL Jeff Worthy (missed time) Anthony Fotu (Suspended)
LB Cody Ippolito (Season IR) Jake Matthews (Season IR)
LB Scooby Wright (Obviously) Marquis Ware Sir Thomas Jackson
LB Derrick Turituri (Season IR) DeAndre' Miller (missed time)
DB Cam Denson Devin Holiday Kwesi Mashack (missed time)
DB Jarvis McCall (missed time) DaVonte' Neal
S William Parks Anthony Lopez
S Jamar Allah Devon Brewer
S Tellas Jones Paul Magloire

http://www.azdesertswarm.com/football/2 ... on-defense" target="_blank

I know not everyone ended up being a starter (and I probably missed a few injuries) but at any point, there was 5 starters missing in games and over 40% of the the players listed missed games at any given point (5 of the 7 LB's missed most of the season). Some teams had similar devastation but they had the recruits that stepped in while taking a small step back in production. While the depth has improved from RR's first year, there is still a lot of work to do. So in a lot of ways, it was still impressive that a team was even fielded some weeks.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

OH Gee, are you all butt hurt because someone won't roll over into your pile of BS? LOL. You stink this place up guys and you wonder why you can't get more interest on this board? I'll bet at least two of you have a Mr Microphone and you watch the games with the sound off and pretend to do the play by play. Do you make your kids stick the mic in your face after the game so you can pretend to be the coach and be interviewed? You guys are dipsticks. LOL.
HaCats

Post by HaCats »

welcome back Kyle!!!
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

tgrumpy2 wrote:OH Gee, are you all butt hurt because someone won't roll over into your pile of BS? LOL. You stink this place up guys and you wonder why you can't get more interest on this board? I'll bet at least two of you have a Mr Microphone and you watch the games with the sound off and pretend to do the play by play. Do you make your kids stick the mic in your face after the game so you can pretend to be the coach and be interviewed? You guys are dipsticks. LOL.
Damn someone shit in your cereal this morning or something. Chill bruh.

SCCats

Post by SCCats »

HaCats wrote:welcome back Kyle!!!
97cats

Post by 97cats »

tgrumpy2 wrote:OH Gee, are you all butt hurt because someone won't roll over into your pile of BS? LOL. You stink this place up guys and you wonder why you can't get more interest on this board? I'll bet at least two of you have a Mr Microphone and you watch the games with the sound off and pretend to do the play by play. Do you make your kids stick the mic in your face after the game so you can pretend to be the coach and be interviewed? You guys are dipsticks. LOL.
tgrumpy2 for MOD immediately
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

SCCats wrote:
HaCats wrote:welcome back Kyle!!!