Sumlin’s future - poll question

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

How much time are you giving Sumlin to right the ship?

None - If money wasn’t an issue he would be gone now
39%
1-2 years - depending on defensive coordinator
30%
2-3 years - We need to give him a full 4-5 years to see how it will turn out.
21%
3+ years - Sumlin is the best Arizona can get.
1%
Bah - It doesn’t matter it’s Arizona football
8%

Total votes: 71

azcat49

Re: Sumlin’s future - poll question

Post by azcat49 »

The apathy is off the charts. Huge cat fan at work never even mentioned the football game against our rival. Like it didn’t exist. Not many to upset at the loss. Upset Sumlin is coming back. Really bad times for our football program coupled with epic weak leadership
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

It's also a very different world than 2002-2006. There's so much media to consume that overall apathy towards sports has increased drastically. There's so many other things to watch and do and distract yourself with than 15 years ago.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

azcat49 wrote:The apathy is off the charts. Huge cat fan at work never even mentioned the football game against our rival. Like it didn’t exist. Not many to upset at the loss. Upset Sumlin is coming back. Really bad times for our football program coupled with epic weak leadership
even assu fans i know didn't bother to bring it up and shove our noses in it. that's how bad we are right now.

and yes, as you mention, nobody I know was talking about the game as a cat fan either. complete irrelevancy.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

My father and I chat constantly during basketball games but not a single word during the football game not even an email note afterwards. Don't think that is going to be atypical any more.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

My best friend from college and I were talking the other night. After literally 30 seconds talking about football ineptitude we moved on to how limp-dicked Heeke is. 90 seconds later it was all basketball.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Yep and when your inept AD has been let it known publicly that he wants to move on from Sumlin, but can't afford to, it makes it so if a rebuild were actually possible it no longer is. So who cares? Football isn't even good enough to be a waste of time until basketball season any more.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ChooChooCat wrote:Yep and when your inept AD has been let it known publicly that he wants to move on from Sumlin, but can't afford to, it makes it so if a rebuild were actually possible it no longer is. So who cares? Football isn't even good enough to be a waste of time until basketball season any more.
We are a M/W Basketball—W Soccer—Softball school now.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

azcat49 wrote:The apathy is off the charts. Huge cat fan at work never even mentioned the football game against our rival. Like it didn’t exist. Not many to upset at the loss. Upset Sumlin is coming back. Really bad times for our football program coupled with epic weak leadership
Both this year and next feel like a dying marriage where the couple is staying together until the last kid leaves and then planning to divorce.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

If fans showed up, there would be a lot more money to move on from Sumlin now. This is on all the fans who don't show up.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

PHXCATS wrote:If fans showed up, there would be a lot more money to move on from Sumlin now. This is on all the fans who don't show up.
Stop.

It's like saying if a lot of people went to see a terrible movie, the studio would have the money to make a better one. It's a pie in the sky idea that ignores people have entertainment choices, and the factory of disappointment in Arizona Stadium doesn't make Arizona football a good choice.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

PHXCATS wrote:If fans showed up, there would be a lot more money to move on from Sumlin now. This is on all the fans who don't show up.
If the fans show up no matter how bad the program, what incentive is there to get rid of Sumlin?

PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Stop.

It's like saying if a lot of people went to see a terrible movie, the studio would have the money to make a better one. It's a pie in the sky idea that ignores people have entertainment choices, and the factory of disappointment in Arizona Stadium doesn't make Arizona football a good choice.
It is dollar and cents. Arizona cannot afford to buy out Sumlin right now. What would give Arizona more money is more fans buying seats and donating to the department.

People can do what they want with their time and money, more power to them, but that choice comes with consequences and one is not being able to afford buying out Kevin Sumlin
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

This is just backwards. Let me ask you a hypothetical.

Let's say there a restaurant you like. Over time the quality of food they put out gets to the point of being inedible. Now, do you keep going back thinking that if you just support them enough they will see your enthusiasm and start putting out good food again?
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

azgreg wrote:

Let's say there a restaurant you like. Over time the quality of food they put out gets to the point of being inedible. Now, do you keep going back thinking that if you just support them enough they will see your enthusiasm and start putting out good food again?
Let’s extend the metaphor:

You keep showing for the sake of loyalty while thinking: if I just keep showing up they’ll have enough money to hire a new chef. Except the owner thinks, why should I lay the current chef off and pay a 2 month severance package and then pay a new chef more money when the seats are all filled anyway?
MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

azgreg wrote:

Okay, so I want my favorite restaurant to stay in business, but want it run by new management. I want a better menu since the current one is getting old. If I don't eat there anymore along with others, the restaurant will close. I just want to see a better dessert tray and compete with that eatery (which I hate) across the street. What do I do now, not go and wait and see...

...I'm confused!
No Bandwagon Here! Always a Cat!
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

There’s a lot of talk that Heeke found the money to buy out Sumlin. He just chickened out.

In which case Machina’s argument is worthless and just another opportunity for him to fail at dunking on people who are actual fans and want Arizona Football to be consistently good.
MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

Since we are only getting 30,000 to attend the games, what a better time to tear down the west-side stadium and redo it SEC style over the nest two years. BUT while doing it, let's get the newest upcoming coach to take over NOW. Charge any buyout of Slumlin to the cost of the new stadium upgrades. So it goes from $150M to $160M, who cares. The sooner the better and we will compete sooner.

...Just saying - Don't wait - Invest now...
No Bandwagon Here! Always a Cat!
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

If we all showed up we would be........South Carolina.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

PHXCATS wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Stop.

It is dollar and cents. Arizona cannot afford to buy out Sumlin right now. What would give Arizona more money is more fans buying seats and donating to the department.

People can do what they want with their time and money, more power to them, but that choice comes with consequences and one is not being able to afford buying out Kevin Sumlin
There is literally no entertainment venue where consistently producing terrible entertainment leads to increased revenue.

It's just delusional to expect otherwise. Better play leads to more fans. Worse play leads to fewer fans. Why does LSU draw more fans than Rutgers?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
There is literally no entertainment venue where consistently producing terrible entertainment leads to increased revenue.
Comic book and Star Wars movies?

:D
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Merkin wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Comic book and Star Wars movies?

Ok there, Martin Scorsese. I'm sorry they're not all period pieces about exploring womanhood in Elizabethan England.

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I don't watch those either!

But what does Scheer know?
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

azgreg wrote:

I’m pretty sure this is black bear diner’s business model
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

azcat49 wrote:If we all showed up we would be........South Carolina.
Who gets big name coaches, interesting
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

CalStateTempe wrote:
azgreg wrote:

Wait, what? BBD has the best breakfast going! I hate chains, but will go there for breakfast. Lunches are just OK.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

azgreg wrote:

This is such a bad example but no I would not go back after time. But a restaurant and your school's athletic department are completely different things.

If you dont want to go to the games that is fine, you are not a bad person. Just realize that the school has less resources and accept that
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

PHXCATS wrote:
azcat49 wrote:If we all showed up we would be........South Carolina.
Who gets big name coaches, interesting
That have done what exactly? Win a whole 3 more games than Arizona in the last 5 years. Cool!
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

PHXCATS wrote:
azgreg wrote:

This is such a bad example but no I would not go back after time. But a restaurant and your school's athletic department are completely different things.

If you dont want to go to the games that is fine, you are not a bad person. Just realize that the school has less resources and accept that
It's a relationship with two sides. Arizona would have more resources if they didn't hire guys like Sumlin and give them astronomical buyouts.

Giving $ to the school tends to stop when the school blows that $. Sumlin was not a good use of money.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
azgreg wrote:

It's a relationship with two sides. Arizona would have more resources if they didn't hire guys like Sumlin and give them astronomical buyouts.

Giving $ to the school tends to stop when the school blows that $. Sumlin was not a good use of money.
Almost everyone wanted Sumlin at the time. It did not work out. No one knew this would be the case at the time
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Merkin wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:
azgreg wrote:

Wait, what? BBD has the best breakfast going! I hate chains, but will go there for breakfast. Lunches are just OK.
in Tucson there's probably a dozen better breakfast places I can think of off the top of my head and Black Bear diner is a MAGA Haven anyway
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

ASUHATER! wrote:
Merkin wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:
azgreg wrote:

in Tucson there's probably a dozen better breakfast places I can think of off the top of my head and Black Bear diner is a MAGA Haven anyway

I love me some Tucson Jethro's! Just don't ask for any salsa for your home fries, they charge a bundle for 10 cents worth.

No MAGAt crowd at all where I live. Don't think I have ever seen a Trump hat on anyone's head ever.

I imagine Jethro's is a MAGA crowd, they have a "Hippies use rear entrance" sign.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

PHXCATS wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
azgreg wrote:

Almost everyone wanted Sumlin at the time. It did not work out. No one knew this would be the case at the time
Leaving aside my disagreement with what people thought, it boggles my mind how you seem to not grasp the basic issue.

Arizona just spent a lot of money on a coach that appears to be failing hard. Yet you argue fans are at least partially responsible for throwing more money in to allow an administration that is currently paying two football coaches who produce(d) this issue to drop a lot of money on a third.

When you eff up a hire, people don't want to throw money your way to potentially eff up again. When you eff up a hire and games aren't much fun to watch, people stop watching.

None of this is complicated. If you want to bankroll the AD more for failing, go for it, just save the sanctimony about how fans should throw money at the AD when it's been used poorly for a depressing product.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Please explain to me how Arizona can get a good coach when all of the following are going on

No money
Bad fans
Little tradition
Hardly any NFL success
Bad recruiting
Poor facilities
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

PHXCATS wrote:Please explain to me how Arizona can get a good coach when all of the following are going on

No money
Bad fans
Little tradition
Hardly any NFL success
Bad recruiting
Poor facilities
Mike Price at Wazzu (2 Rose Bowl appearances, 5 QBs into the NFL) scoffs at your lack of knowledge of PAC history.

Larry Smith bailed to USC, and Dick Tomey got lazy, but you can have success at Arizona.

As with Price, Smith and Tomey, get a young hungry successful head coach from a smaller school.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:It's a relationship with two sides. Arizona would have more resources if they didn't hire guys like Sumlin and give them astronomical buyouts.

Leaving aside my disagreement with what people thought, it boggles my mind how you seem to not grasp the basic issue.

Arizona just spent a lot of money on a coach that appears to be failing hard. Yet you argue fans are at least partially responsible for throwing more money in to allow an administration that is currently paying two football coaches who produce(d) this issue to drop a lot of money on a third.

When you eff up a hire, people don't want to throw money your way to potentially eff up again. When you eff up a hire and games aren't much fun to watch, people stop watching.

None of this is complicated. If you want to bankroll the AD more for failing, go for it, just save the sanctimony about how fans should throw money at the AD when it's been used poorly for a depressing product.
Sure, you can use logic ..... but how’s he going to be the guy wagging his finger at all the bad fans if he uses common sense? Where’s the joy?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

PHXCATS wrote:Please explain to me how Arizona can get a good coach when all of the following are going on

No money
Bad fans
Little tradition
Hardly any NFL success
Bad recruiting
Poor facilities
By hiring a good coach.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

No money
Bad fans
Little tradition
Hardly any NFL success
Bad recruiting
Poor facilities

Would you say we have bad basketball fans? Baseball fans? Soccer fans? Softball fans? Women’s b-ball fans now? I think the answer would be no.

What to those programs have in common? Winning and a track record of excellence or a belief they will be good. You just can’t say that about Sumlin. You could about Stoops and the belief he would make us Okie light and we turned out at 50k plus a year.

This is not the fans fault, come on
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Thoughts and Prayers for Machina.

I regret to inform everyone that Machina is indeed brain dead.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Merkin wrote:I don't watch those either!

But what does Scheer know?
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Alieberman wrote:Thoughts and Prayers for Machina.

I regret to inform everyone that Machina is indeed brain dead.
Yes, but...

... what difference will that make??
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

azcat49 wrote:

No money
Bad fans
Little tradition
Hardly any NFL success
Bad recruiting
Poor facilities
Would you say we have bad basketball fans? Baseball fans? Soccer fans? Softball fans? Women’s b-ball fans now? I think the answer would be no.

What to those programs have in common? Winning and a track record of excellence or a belief they will be good. You just can’t say that about Sumlin. You could about Stoops and the belief he would make us Okie light and we turned out at 50k plus a year.

Or compare us to Washington State. We are superior in most of the areas he listed, but they're blowing the doors off us lately.

Why? They hired Leach and we hired RichRod/Sumlin.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

God I wanted leach so bad, if we had old boosters that had problems with locking trust fund kids in sheds....
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

UA just needed to put Leach on a short leash, 0 tolerance.

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
azcat49 wrote:

No money
Bad fans
Little tradition
Hardly any NFL success
Bad recruiting
Poor facilities

Or compare us to Washington State. We are superior in most of the areas he listed, but they're blowing the doors off us lately.

Why? They hired Leach and we hired RichRod/Sumlin.

Not just lately. Mike Price went to 2 Rose Bowls and put 5 QBs into the league during the Pac-10 era when Arizona went oh-fer.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

https://www.si.com/college/arizona/foot ... two-words/" target="_blank

Best article and comments I have seen on our state of the program. He nailed it IMO
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

azcat49 wrote:https://www.si.com/college/arizona/foot ... two-words/

Best article and comments I have seen on our state of the program. He nailed it IMO
All kinds of head scratching coaching decisions all season long. It's truly like Sumlin wants to lose so he can collect another $10m check
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

azcat49 wrote:

No money
Bad fans
Little tradition
Hardly any NFL success
Bad recruiting
Poor facilities

Basketball attendance has been very poor this year.

We have fair weather fans in all sports
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:

No money
Bad fans
Little tradition
Hardly any NFL success
Bad recruiting
Poor facilities
By hiring a good coach.
You act like it is easy to do cheap and that UA is the only school with that plan.

The more money you have from fans the more you can offer a coach and his staff the more likely they are to accept especially when you have no tradition and poor facilities
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Machina contributes nothing of value to this board. He just is a broken record repeating the same 2 lines over and over. It is ridiculous.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

PHXCATS wrote:
We have fair weather fans in all sports
Fair weather fans? Do you even know what a fair weather fan is? Basketball team is undefeated.

Here:

fair-weather fan

A person who is supportive of and enthusiastic about a sports team only when that team is performing well.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

We have fair weather fans in all sports. That's why we've led the conference in basketball attendance for like 34 years in a row.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.