2016 Recruit/Commitment Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

WildcatStunner

Re: 2016 Recruit/Commitment Thread

Post by WildcatStunner »

carcassdragger wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:
carcassdragger wrote:
Just wish we didn't keep his brother as our shit snapping Center for so long.
Guy comes to our school, works his ass off, and was a very good OL for us and you come up with this?

You sir, are a dick.
I don't think you watched any games this year...[/quote]

I watched EVERY game. I thought you'd be one to pile on too. Figures.[/quote]

Carcass, I am not sure how you dragged Hater into this, I was the one who made the comment about his brother snapping.

I am pleased with signing day, I like the guys we got.
Last edited by WildcatStunner on Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

carcassdragger wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:
carcassdragger wrote:
Guy comes to our school, works his ass off, and was a very good OL for us and you come up with this?

You sir, are a dick.
I don't think you watched any games this year...[/quote]

I watched EVERY game. I thought you'd be one to pile on too. Figures.[/quote]

Caymen was a 4 year starter, humble, never in trouble, rarely injured, worked his ass off then took one for the team and thrown into a position he had never played before. you are a dick.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Harvey Specter wrote:
azcat49 wrote:Have to love Tate, Elitise, JJ Taylor, Colacion, Chacho and a few others. If a class can get 6 multiple year starters from it I think that is pretty darn good and I think the above 5 contribute very well along with greyshirt Walker
On the positive front, we have added or confirmed some very good looking prospects in the last few days, with hopefully a couple more before this is over. Looks better today than it did just a few days ago.

Conversely, on paper this is a poor class by even UA historical standards. I agree that 6 multiple year started from any class in good - but the pool from which those might come in this class looks very shallow.

We never have a close to 100% hit rate on the good looking prospects we sign, so we'll need a higher-than-average hit rate on the lower rated guys.
Got Cooper back and added Ulloa and Burns. Finished as well as we could have hoped to.
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

WildcatStunner wrote:
azgreg wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:
azgreg wrote:Looks like Bundage to OK Lite.
He was punking us... Not cool.

I hope big bro teaches him a lesson next time he is home.
After all the crap AZ fans gave him he probably told him to go there.
Douche bag....Caymen was a great Arizona Wildcat
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

Throw the flag and give me the penalty, I'm piling on too. For coming up with that about Cayman, yea you're a total dick.
Sid

Post by Sid »

I would like to personally thank all those recruiting experts out there for the hilarious star rating awarded to Mr. JJ Taylor.

Again, thank you! You ass pirates have a wonderful sense of humor....

I said a couple weeks ago when pandemonium broke out on this board we still had a few committed diamonds in this class. Today my excitement tripled & we might still have late addition to only add to that excitement. Great job to all the staff for busting ass and giving me something to freaking believe in..... :D

Welcome to Arizona class of 2016!

BTFD
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

No doubt, not Haters best post. Bundage was a great 4 year starter who worked incredibly hard to move to center for the teams benefit. No one felt worse that his poor snaps hurt the team at times and he stayed long after practice was done to refine his craft.

Class tuned out OK. I think we got some good pieces. Time will tell on those we got and those we lost
Last edited by azcat49 on Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

anyone left not named Himphill?
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

So 24/7 recruiting services are the best, especially the composite rankings.

Right now Arizona is #47 w/ an Avg. of 84.22 (3*)

Still 10th in the PAC 12 rankings, but UofA has a higher average than Or St (who has 6 more signees) and just a couple of points behind Utah.

If Arizona had more commits, probably be ranked in the low 40s -- which would fall in line with most class rankings Rodriguez has pulled in.

Class rankings: '12 - #42, '13 - #44, '15 - #43, '16 - #47 -- save for the #30 ranking in '14.

The average rating have been: '12 - .832, '13 - .806, '14 - .834, '15 - .830 & '16 - .842

PAC 12 rank: '12 - #10, '13 - #7, '14 - #6, '15 - #9 & '16 - #10

So a typical Rodriguez recruiting class, that can be a good thing or a bad thing.

Adding the Cal transfer, Walker, Parks, etc makes it a lot better as well.

I just wanna know how two 4*s LBs (Cobb & Ware) from 2014 haven't made an impact or seen the field.
splitsecond

Post by splitsecond »

I wouldn't say I am "content" with RichRod's average classes, but I also know he has been doing it with a DC who refuses to recruit. We should see a big improvement with the new guys on the defensive coaching staff, who will absolutely recruit tirelessly.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Kaelin Himphill to SDSU.
WildcatStunner

Post by WildcatStunner »

I like Chacho and I think we got some good pieces. I think it went pretty well considering the position the new staff was put in.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

I think we got the type of class we typically get and I applaud Rich Rod for hiring assistants that should be better recruiters to improve our recruiting efforts.

I believe we have structural problems that limit our ability to recruit Top 20 type classes. I think Rich Rod has figured this out and that's why he hired new assistant coaches and is pushing for the new indoor practice facility and probably the new stadium improvements to improve Fan support. We have no real tradition to speak of that a High School kid would remember today, we have not put many guys in the league in the past 15 years, we do not have much local talent, we have to recruit in areas like LA against name brand major college programs, we have not had a long history of winning major games or bowls, our weather sucks for football 5 months out of the year, our academics are fine but nothing special like a Stanford or CAL, our fan support at games is good but nothing special, we are viewed as a basketball school and our facilities are now just average compared to the rest of the PAC 12.

I hope the new assistants combined with continued improvements to our facilities especially an indoor practice facility can help overcome our structural problems because I strongly believe it will be difficult to make a Rose Bowl with 40-50 ranked classes. Don't believe me, well just look at our history as we have made zero rose bowls with Top 40-50 ranked classes which if you went back 35 years is probably where we have typically finished.
Last edited by Newportcat on Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

azgreg wrote:Kaelin Himphill to SDSU.
Did we back off him? Seemed like an AZ lock after his visit
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

WildcatStunner wrote:I like Chacho and I think we got some good pieces. I think it went pretty well considering the position the new staff was put in.
I will be one of the first to admit I bitched and bitched going into the weekend about the class thus far, and now, at the close of signing day, it's going about as well as it can since. We secured 3 workable DEs. Kept a good athlete, Cooper away from ASU. And while I was looking forward to having a nucleus of Colacion, Hayes, Tate, and JJ, I was more than glad to add Cochran, Chacho, Cooper and Allen in just the past few days.

There's still a bit to be had, for instance, we don't have much margin for error with this class. The aforementioned talent really has to work out because the talent behind them aren't immediate or guaranteed contributors.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

What happened to that running back Haliman? Did he sign or not?
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

tgrumpy2 wrote:What happened to that running back Haliman? Did he sign or not?
He is hurt so I'm guessing he will gray shirt and see him next spring
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

WildcatStunner wrote:
azgreg wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:

I think we can all agree that it would have been nice if his brother could have stayed in his natural position, and that the UA had someone else who was a better center.
WildcatStunner

Post by WildcatStunner »

Merkin wrote:
WildcatStunner wrote:
azgreg wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:

I think we can all agree that it would have been nice if his brother could have stayed in his natural position, and that the UA had someone else who was a better center.
Well said Merk.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

that's the way to word it^
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Newportcat wrote:
azgreg wrote:Kaelin Himphill to SDSU.
Did we back off him? Seemed like an AZ lock after his visit
We took Cochran instead.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Based on Videos, I like Cochran a lot more. While he has good rankings, he might be our biggest sleeper given his size and athletic ability. Sometimes you see a kid listed at 6'4 but watch a video and he looks more like 6'0. Cochran is a legit 6'4 from his video. Himphill should have committed on his visit
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Newportcat wrote:Based on Videos, I like Cochran a lot more. While he has good rankings, he might be our biggest sleeper given his size and athletic ability. Sometimes you see a kid listed at 6'4 but watch a video and he looks more like 6'0. Cochran is a legit 6'4 from his video. Himphill should have committed on his visit

Agreed, we got a steal with this guy
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Newport you will like this paraphrased quote from RR. " We are going to crank recruiting up a notch and it starts with me and every coach n this building. If you are an AZ football coach and you are not busting your ass recruiting, then you will be dealing with me"

Adds a little bit of excitement I think
Sid

Post by Sid »

azcat49 wrote:Newport you will like this paraphrased quote from RR. " We are going to crank recruiting up a notch and it starts with me and every coach n this building. If you are an AZ football coach and you are not busting your ass recruiting, then you will be dealing with me"

You forgot the new indoor practice facility Rich Rod spoke of last night. Just one more thing to give Newport something to believe in.......
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

One thing I remember from his presser after ASU: "This is not fun. We're 6-6, we're average. No one on this team wants to be average." Now there's a whole new defensive staff, a strong close to the class, and a revitalized commitment to recruiting. Looking forward to this year.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

I keep forgetting this. It's not going to help this class any, but it will with the next class. The U is building a academic building across Enke Dr. from McKale. It will be a three story building that will run along the 3rd baseline at Sancet. All of the cattle troughs will move inside to state of the art therapy pools.

Should be a great recruiting tool. Groundbreaking is next week. Scheduled opening Oct 2016.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Newportcat wrote:I think we got the type of class we typically get and I applaud Rich Rod for hiring assistants that should be better recruiters to improve our recruiting efforts.

I believe we have structural problems that limit our ability to recruit Top 20 type classes. I think Rich Rod has figured this out and that's why he hired new assistant coaches and is pushing for the new indoor practice facility and probably the new stadium improvements to improve Fan support. We have no real tradition to speak of that a High School kid would remember today, we have not put many guys in the league in the past 15 years, we do not have much local talent, we have to recruit in areas like LA against name brand major college programs, we have not had a long history of winning major games or bowls, our weather sucks for football 5 months out of the year, our academics are fine but nothing special like a Stanford or CAL, our fan support at games is good but nothing special, we are viewed as a basketball school and our facilities are now just average compared to the rest of the PAC 12.

I hope the new assistants combined with continued improvements to our facilities especially an indoor practice facility can help overcome our structural problems because I strongly believe it will be difficult to make a Rose Bowl with 40-50 ranked classes. Don't believe me, well just look at our history as we have made zero rose bowls with Top 40-50 ranked classes which if you went back 35 years is probably where we have typically finished.
There are some interesting thoughts in the post above.

I just don't understand why you haven't spoken up and shared these ideas/ feelings before?
ALASKACAT

Post by ALASKACAT »

wyo-cat wrote:I keep forgetting this. It's not going to help this class any, but it will with the next class. The U is building a academic building across Enke Dr. from McKale. It will be a three story building that will run along the 3rd baseline at Sancet. All of the cattle troughs will move inside to state of the art therapy pools.

Should be a great recruiting tool. Groundbreaking is next week. Scheduled opening Oct 2016.
This sounds as if this will impact the football practice area. Are all practices moving to Arizona stadium?
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

No it is taking out an area of the baseball stadium that I think was being used for storage but will not affect the current grass fields
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Yeah it's going where the current stands and stadium itself are
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Interesting list to take a look at, laying out all the teams five star, four star and three star signings.

So the question to ask might be, what type of class do you generally need to sign to "keep up with the big boys"? And by that I don't necessarily even mean the Alabamas, the Ohio States, the Michigans...let's take a look at the next rung of teams that have had some good success like Stanford, Baylor, TCU, Michigan State; teams like that.

(written in 5 star/4 star/3 star format)

Furd: 0/9/14
Baylor: 0/8/14
TCU: 0/8/15
Michigan State: 0/9/10

http://247sports.com/Season/2016-Footba ... amRankings" target="_blank

These have been pretty consistent top ten teams, teams who's success we'd probably love to emulate. So...if the coaches were able to pull in about a half dozen four stars a year (or so) we theoretically could start putting ourselves on a more equal talent footing with some of these very good second tier recruiting powers.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Britt and Halimon will gray shirt.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

ALASKACAT wrote:
wyo-cat wrote:I keep forgetting this. It's not going to help this class any, but it will with the next class. The U is building a academic building across Enke Dr. from McKale. It will be a three story building that will run along the 3rd baseline at Sancet. All of the cattle troughs will move inside to state of the art therapy pools.

This sounds as if this will impact the football practice area. Are all practices moving to Arizona stadium?
No. They are only replacing the existing structure along the 3rd base line. There's a lot of wasted space...fence, perimeter sidewalk, slope up and slope down. Plenty of room to fit in a decent sized structure. They are doing Spring practice in the stadium this year and focusing on developing individual skill, tackling for example. They aren't using Sancet this spring so the project can get vertical and the football players won't have to dodge construction.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Harvey Specter wrote:
Newportcat wrote:I think we got the type of class we typically get and I applaud Rich Rod for hiring assistants that should be better recruiters to improve our recruiting efforts.

There are some interesting thoughts in the post above.

I just don't understand why you haven't spoken up and shared these ideas/ feelings before?
I know right, I need to do a better job of sharing my true feelings on this board. I am never really honest with everyone about what I think
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

azcat49 wrote:Newport you will like this paraphrased quote from RR. " We are going to crank recruiting up a notch and it starts with me and every coach n this building. If you are an AZ football coach and you are not busting your ass recruiting, then you will be dealing with me"

I could tell from his recruiting press conference last year that Rich Rod was not thrilled with how our recruiting was going. I could tell by his press conference after ASU he felt that way about how our team was performing. I think he has made some great steps to change that with pushing out his long time coaches, getting new younger assistants with strong Socal ties, pushing for the indoor facility, etc. I don't think Rich Rod will be here another 20 years like a Lute Olson but I get the sense now, he wants to see the job through which probably means at least another 3-4 years if not more. I do think Rich Rod will eventually leave but only for a marquee job where he feels he can win a National Championship at ala Clemson, Florida, etc. But I think its clear he knows the definition of insanity, doing the same things over and over again expecting different results.
SoutherAZ

Post by SoutherAZ »

wyo-cat wrote:
ALASKACAT wrote:

No. They are only replacing the existing structure along the 3rd base line. There's a lot of wasted space...fence, perimeter sidewalk, slope up and slope down. Plenty of room to fit in a decent sized structure. They are doing Spring practice in the stadium this year and focusing on developing individual skill, tackling for example. They aren't using Sancet this spring so the project can get vertical and the football players won't have to dodge construction.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Arizona Desert Swarm with a breakdown and video of the current preferred walk-ons for this year.
Tate Shumway, outside linebacker, Desert Ridge HS, Mesa, AZ.

Donald Reiter, long-snapper, Brophy Prep, Phoenix, AZ.

Josh McCauley, center, Red Mountain HS, Mesa, AZ.

Jalen Jenkins, strong safety, Mesa Community College, AZ.

Justus Lee, wide receiver, Liberty Christian HS, Argyle, TX.

Isaac Steele, quarterback/defensive back, Centennial HS, Phoenix, AZ.

Quinton Gomez, running back/safety, Centennial HS, Phoenix, AZ.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

SoutherAZ wrote: Image
Where will this building be located. Background looks more like Kansas.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Third base line at Sancet Field. Across from McKale.
WildcatLouis

Post by WildcatLouis »

This is getting off-topic for this thread, but does anyone know if this Academic Center was originally part of the McKale renovations? I seem to recall that one of the subsequent phases of the McKale renovation was going to include academic spaces for student athletes. I am just curious if plans have changed.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

WildcatLouis wrote:This is getting off-topic for this thread, but does anyone know if this Academic Center was originally part of the McKale renovations? I seem to recall that one of the subsequent phases of the McKale renovation was going to include academic spaces for student athletes. I am just curious if plans have changed.
I don't think so. It's listed separately at the UA projects website.

http://www.pdc.arizona.edu/project/list" target="_blank
Sid

Post by Sid »

Gerry Finchen kicker/punter from Orange Lutheran is in the works for our walk on program.

* Going to Akron on a partial scholie, oh well...
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Tilford is 2017.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Merkin wrote:Tilford is 2017.
Oops. Moved.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Nice summary from Gabe Encinas, AZDS, incoming players as most are arriving on campus this week.

Here is the possible news in his article:
I've been told by the staff that Russell Halimon will not be joining the team. There hasn't been much information as to why, but it could be a multitude of reasons. He did suffer an ACL tear during his senior season which was extremely unfortunate, because at the time he was one of my favorite running backs in the class, with Sean Riley and Tyliek Raynor still committed.

As for Jessie Britt, he's a longshot to come. This is likely health related. He's had some heart concerns that kept him hospitalized for quite some time. However, if he is able to join the team, he will be used at receiver, presumably in the slot.
FightWildcatsFight

Post by FightWildcatsFight »

UAEebs86 wrote:Looks like Kongbo committed to Tennessee
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Missed it when I posted in another thread. Didn't want to play for Mazzone/wasn't recruited by Mazzone, flipped after we had a new OC in place