2020 Season Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

ChooChooCat

Re: 2020 Season Thread

Post by ChooChooCat »

Alieberman wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
They could get struck by lightning on a non-game day though or practice. Is the university liable for that in your guys' opinions? Honestly curious. Obviously my analogy is the odds of a college aged athlete dying of COVID is less than them being struck by lightning.
I have no problem with professional leagues trying to operate. These athletes are being paid lots of money AND they can opt out.

But I'm coming at this from a student point of view. These players are students first. If Universities are all basically saying students can not congregate due to fears of health and community spread... it is completely hypocritical to allow this to happen. They know the dangers... but are putting these STUDENTS in danger (and the community) because of $$$$.

End of story.

They know the right thing to do.... and are looking the other way
That's fair.

To be honest though they're far more concerned about coaches/professors/etc. being ultimately affected by COVID than they are the players, although I do agree a player dying is the ultimate worst optics possible.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Chicat wrote:So Choo.... you think players should play and practice during thunderstorms? Interesting...
So Chi, I see you have a kindergarten level reading comprehension. Interesting...
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Chicat wrote:So Choo.... you think players should play and practice during thunderstorms? Interesting...
So Chi, I see you have a kindergarten level reading comprehension. Interesting...
But the chances of them being struck by lightening and dying are so low.

Isn’t that your point?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Chicat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

Isn’t that your point?
Would you hold the school administration ultimately responsible if a player died of lightning strike because they were on campus regardless of during a football event or not Chi? That's my point.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Chicat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

Isn’t that your point?
Would you hold the school administration ultimately responsible if a player died of lightning strike because they were on campus regardless of during a football event or not Chi? That's my point.
I would answer that if the school had a policy that ALL students were strictly forbidden to be outside when lighting was in the area... but then only held their non-athletes to this rule.... then yes, the school would be responsible if an athlete got struck by lighting.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I doubt any players will die, or very few will, the issue is that many of these athletes will be carriers, and then transfer the virus to family members, especially those with health conditions, or grandparents and such who will die.

And exactly why schools should stay closed.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Chicat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

Isn’t that your point?
Ahh, then I see it’s actually you with the kindergarten-level communication skills.

I would hold the school administration accountable if he was participating in a school-sanctioned event during a thunderstorm and they didn’t take every precaution possible during that potentially deadly situation to protect the students. Especially if his scholarship was contingent on him participating in that event.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

There have been 125 Covid deaths for people between the ages of 15-24. So far this year the US has had 9 deaths (all age groups) by lightning.

https://www.acsh.org/news/2020/06/23/co ... race-14863" target="_blank
https://www.weather.gov/safety/lightning-fatalities" target="_blank
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

What about the ones who don't die but have severe complications?

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

We’ll see what happens...
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

The new schedule has been released. Cats open up at home against asu.

2020 Schedule
9/26: ASU
10/3: at Washington
10/10: Colorado
10/17: BYE
10/24: USC
10/31: at Utah
11/7: at Oregon State
11/14: Cal
11/20: Oregon (Friday)
11/28: at UCLA
12/5: at Stanford
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

I honestly don't care. I can't believe we're letting this happen. I don't think I'll even try and watch this travesty.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

This is ASU levels of stupid.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Chicat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Chicat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

Isn’t that your point?
Ahh, then I see it’s actually you with the kindergarten-level communication skills.

I would hold the school administration accountable if he was participating in a school-sanctioned event during a thunderstorm and they didn’t take every precaution possible during that potentially deadly situation to protect the students. Especially if his scholarship was contingent on him participating in that event.
Or it was just you being willfully dense. Either way Cheers.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

azgreg wrote:There have been 125 Covid deaths for people between the ages of 15-24. So far this year the US has had 9 deaths (all age groups) by lightning.

1 death is too many Greg let alone 9, you should never leave your house. 240K strikes occur a year and any one of them can be a death. Cherish your life.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

UAEebs86 wrote:What about the ones who don't die but have severe complications?

Those who are struck by lightning may have neurological issues their entire lives. Never leave your house is the only answer.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Choo,
I like what you bring to the board so I am not going to argue with you here in the upper boards.

We could have had everything back to semi-normal like you want if we had functional leadership and response at the Federal level and intelligent citizens who listened to science. Most other industrialized countries are there. Come on down to the lower boards if you want to discuss.

Physical distancing, masks, and extensive testing and contact tracing is all it took. This virus is actually not that hard to beat. We are too immature as a country to pull any of this off, and a vaccine isn't going to help when half the country refuses to take it.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

ChooChooCat wrote:
azgreg wrote:There have been 125 Covid deaths for people between the ages of 15-24. So far this year the US has had 9 deaths (all age groups) by lightning.

1 death is too many Greg let alone 9, you should never leave your house. 240K strikes occur a year and any one of them can be a death. Cherish your life.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

azgreg wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

And the point in my trolling went over your head. Son, I am disappoint.

God am I bored.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

AZCatGirl wrote: This is ASU levels of stupid.
So honest question for you and anyone else who'd like to answer:

What's your advice to me, who does plan to attend UA games if allowed this coming season? If they sell tickets I plan to attend at least one hoe game, being sure to follow all the medical advice - social distancing, wear a mask/gloves, etc. I'm willing to sign a liability form as well.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I would say if you do all of that you should be fine... I would avoid crowds as much as possible and especially the bathroom!
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Alieberman wrote:I would say if you do all of that you should be fine... I would avoid crowds as much as possible and especially the bathroom!
I suggest that entry to/exit from the stadium will be a major challenge to any sense of “social distancing - proper execution of this safely would increase the time exponentially....
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Alieberman wrote:
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

QB Kevin Doyle has opted out of the season
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

ASUHATER! wrote:QB Kevin Doyle has opted out of the season
Smart man.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

This ain't happening.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Shoutout to the Pac-12 players for seeing the opportunity of asking for money during a season where money was going to be hard to come by. The Power 5 conferences may survive this year, but the rest of college football may very well be dead. Way to go guys, you certainly see the forest for the trees. They're literally falling for the words of a snake oil salesman.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

ChooChooCat wrote:Shoutout to the Pac-12 players for seeing the opportunity of asking for money during a season where money was going to be hard to come by. The Power 5 conferences may survive this year, but the rest of college football may very well be dead. Way to go guys, you certainly see the forest for the trees. They're literally falling for the words of a snake oil salesman.
Who would that be Choo? Fauci?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Merkin wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:Shoutout to the Pac-12 players for seeing the opportunity of asking for money during a season where money was going to be hard to come by. The Power 5 conferences may survive this year, but the rest of college football may very well be dead. Way to go guys, you certainly see the forest for the trees. They're literally falling for the words of a snake oil salesman.
Who would that be Choo? Fauci?
LOL DURRRRR.

Ramogi Huma.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I kind of felt Doyle was sitting out to take advantage of the opportunity to retain eligibility since GG isn’t going to be unseated anytime soon. Maybe GG goes pro after his JR year and that would mean Doyle would have a couple years as the starter. He was a Michigan recruit so he must have talent. Maybe reading to much into it but that was my initial thought, be safe and time your future opportunities better
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Chief was saying that Sumlin told Steele that Doyle was #2 on the depth chart.

On a related note:
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Some of the demands are already in place, some a good and should try to be implemented right away, and the remaining are completely ridiculous
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Stewart Mandel, the editor-in-chief of The Athletic’s college football vertical, made record predictions for every Pac-12 team following Friday’s schedule reveal, and he has zero confidence in the Wildcats, projecting them to go winless for the season.

That’s right. 0-10.

“The best-case scenario for Kevin Sumlin’s third season is that it gets canceled altogether,” Mandel wrote.

https://www.azdesertswarm.com/football/ ... dzxGWJwq3Y" target="_blank
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

asu has really struggled out of the gate the last several years barely beating crappy FCS teams. Unfortunately U of A has also struggled under Sumlin in week 0/1
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Merkin wrote:Stewart Mandel, the editor-in-chief of The Athletic’s college football vertical, made record predictions for every Pac-12 team following Friday’s schedule reveal, and he has zero confidence in the Wildcats, projecting them to go winless for the season.

That’s right. 0-10.

“The best-case scenario for Kevin Sumlin’s third season is that it gets canceled altogether,” Mandel wrote.

https://www.azdesertswarm.com/football/ ... dzxGWJwq3Y" target="_blank
I agree. Absolute ceiling for this team is like 3-7. I think we'll sneak a win somewhere and go 1-9 though. But in reality I think the season will be cancelled after 1-2 games because of major virus outbreaks among all the conference teams

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

azgreg wrote:

WSU player told he could opt out due to Covid, but if joins this movement he won't have a scholarship next season:
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

This article was perfect
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

PHXCATS wrote:
This article was perfect
Give them NIL, which they deserve, and that's it. I'm tired of the fantasy world that these guys believe exists where they're victims, when literally every body would kill to have the opportunities they have.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

ChooChooCat wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
This article was perfect
Give them NIL, which they deserve, and that's it. I'm tired of the fantasy world that these guys believe exists where they're victims, when literally every body would kill to have the opportunities they have.
Players should get NIL and one transfer without sitting and address any racism issues and let them have a say in COVID-19 safety measures.

Everything else tell them bye if they dont like it. No one forces them to play college sports.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

PHXCATS wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
This article was perfect
Players should get NIL and one transfer without sitting and address any racism issues and let them have a say in COVID-19 safety measures.

Everything else tell them bye if they dont like it. No one forces them to play college sports.
Honest question, what racism issues are facing student athletes as far as the system goes?
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

ChooChooCat wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
This article was perfect

Honest question, what racism issues are facing student athletes as far as the system goes?
I have absolutely no idea but they are the players and they say there are issues so let’s investigate them and address them
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

The same racism issues that face every other person of color in the United States...

PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

The players demanded letter says there is racial injustice in college sports.

I would love to read/hear what that means so that it can be fixed
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

It seems very weird to me that the biggest college football fans seem to have the most contempt for the actual college football player.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Alieberman wrote:It seems very weird to me that the biggest college football fans seem to have the most contempt for the actual college football player.
Yea they view them as commodities and chattel for their own personal enjoyment and fandom.

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

PHXCATS wrote:The players demanded letter says there is racial injustice in college sports.

I would love to read/hear what that means so that it can be fixed
Here is just the financial part of it. At a minimum, the NCAA has to allow NIL deals very soon.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb ... r-BB17swBc" target="_blank