2024 Season Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Irish27

Re: 2024 Season Thread

Post by Irish27 »

Two Cats make ESPN's 2025 NFL draft sleepers: Scouts pick under-the-radar players, https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2025/insi ... cts-risers

Tacario Davis, CB, Arizona
Cornerbacks who are 6-4 and had 14 pass breakups in their first year as a starter are rarely under the radar, but that's the case for the Arizona junior.
Davis has fantastic length and physicality, but scouts are worried he'll never be a high-turnover guy despite tying for fourth in the FBS in pass breakups.
"He could break out, but I always worry when a guy has a lot of PBUs and no picks," said an NFC West area scout. "Joey Porter Jr. was like that and fell [to Round 2] because of it."
For Davis, who had one interception last season, holding on to passes should be a point of emphasis if he wants to be a first-round pick. He also allowed three touchdowns as the nearest defender in coverage.
The 2025 class looks deep at cornerback with Will Johnson (Michigan), Travis Hunter (Colorado) and Benjamin Morrison (Notre Dame) all projected to go in Round 1. If Davis can boost his interception numbers, he could join the list.

Jonah Savaiinaea, OT, Arizona
Here's what an AFC scout who covers the Southwest said when I asked for under-the-radar names: "You watched [Jordan] Morgan last year and kept checking out the right tackle. He's going to be a good one."
That right tackle is Savaiinaea, a 6-6, 330-pound lineman who has experience at right guard, where he looked great in 2022 as a first-year starter. His ability to make plays in space is notable, with excellent movement skills combined with great power at the point of attack. He allowed just one sack last season.
He reminds me of Taliese Fuaga at this time last year, and Fuaga ended up going No. 14 overall to the Saints. Time will tell if Savaiinaea can make that same jump, but their talent levels are similar.
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
TheCatInTheHat

Way Too Early Previews

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

With the changes to college football recruiting, the so-called experts may have to change their calendars. With the generally well-regarded coaching transition, the return of the Fifita/McMillan combo, and what looks like a favorable Big XII schedule, we were expected to be pretty good again. But Brennan's been pretty relentless with the portal in addressing depth needs, and I'd think we'd get a little extra nudge upwards from that. Changes in coaching technique and play-calling may result in some rough spots, especially in the early going, but that also may add some unpredictability. The other question is how quickly the transfers can pick things up, particularly for those who missed spring ball. Regardless, I'm pretty happy with our roster.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

The initial Vegas O/U on wins was 8.5. The bettors have dropped that to 7.5 and I assume that was because they thought our roster would be pillaged. I am looking for that bargain # to go up as we get closer to the start of the season
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
FreeSpiritCat

Post by FreeSpiritCat »

It is very hard to make predictions with the transfer portal. The Athletic article stated that we were having problems at RB. That is not the case. Jacory is every bit as good as Coleman. Kedrick is also very good, but needs more reps. Quali may be the hardest worker on the team, and "Speedy", who should be used properly. Our RB core is comparable to last season, and there isn't much of a drop off, if at all.

Of all the players we lost to the transfer portal, Prysock hurt the most. And he is on the second team at UW. Of all the graduates, Cowing will be the hardest one to replace.

Arizona is a lot better than they are given credit for. The back-to-back Kansas State and Utah games, on the road, will set up the rest of the season. It is good that Arizona has a bye week between the games. After Utah, the schedule becomes less difficult. I think 10 wins is doable. We may have a higher ceiling than that. It depends on a few players stepping up, and how fast the new players become accustomed to the new scheme. One last point. This all depends on Noah staying healthy. The Cats don't have a backup QB who can replace him.
FreeSpiritCat

Post by FreeSpiritCat »

Simply stated: I haven't looked forward to a season as much as this year. There are barriers that can be broken. For one, having 2 major successful seasons in a row, at least since I've been following the Cats (early 90s). And second, we have a shot at the playoffs. We may not be good enough to win it all. But if things go right, our ceiling is the semi-finals. And that can have a major impact on our recruiting and future. I might subscribe to Venu Live Sports or YouTube TV. Venu isn't guaranteed yet (it is the all sports streaming service). And price does matter.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

We’ll have some games on ESPN+.

It’s 10.99/mo or $109.99 for the year.
FreeSpiritCat

Post by FreeSpiritCat »

wyo-cat wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 5:07 pm We’ll have some games on ESPN+.

It’s 10.99/mo or $109.99 for the year.
I would get it with Disney+ and Hulu.
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

Yup. Got it in my Disney+ package and didn't even realize it until earlier this week. Lol
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

Fifita on third team is a literal crime.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Is there an entire list somewhere? Just want to see who is 1 and 2.

RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

I dunno. Seems to me that Utah is always being big noted and then failing to deliver. But I don't know from nuttin'.
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

If Cam Rising finds his form early Utah will be the team to beat.