Game #4 vs UCLA Bruins discussion thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

chiefzona

Re: Game #4 vs UCLA Bruins discussion thread

Post by chiefzona »

dc4azcats wrote:
chiefzona wrote:Good to see there's a red out. That's been occurring every home game I thought. DC-you sound off your game. I can smell the fear from here. :lol:
I'm feeling really good for this game. RR is the best coach this program has ever had and he along with his staff is the best in the conference and certainly up there as far as in the country goes. In RR I trust.

Are you ready to give us all your final score prediction?
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

chiefzona wrote:
dc4azcats wrote:
chiefzona wrote:Good to see there's a red out. That's been occurring every home game I thought. DC-you sound off your game. I can smell the fear from here. :lol:
I'm feeling really good for this game. RR is the best coach this program has ever had and he along with his staff is the best in the conference and certainly up there as far as in the country goes. In RR I trust.

What good does "calling out DC for fear" do? It does not make you look good or tough, just so you are aware.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

chiefzona wrote:
dc4azcats wrote:

It's only Monday. I have taken note of your predictions thus far. Cracks me up how every week you think the Arizona D will give up more than it actually does. I'm sure this week will be no different.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Arizona 38 UCLA 34
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

dc4azcats wrote:
chiefzona wrote:
dc4azcats wrote:

It's only Monday. I have taken note of your predictions thus far. Cracks me up how every week you think the Arizona D will give up more than it actually does. I'm sure this week will be no different.
Oh, really? Well, let's see....I said UTSA would score 24 and they scored 32. I said Nevada would score 28 and they scored 22. I said NAU would score 20 and they scored 13. Not too shabby there DC.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Nevada scored 20. Don't think chief is watching the games.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

ASUHATER! wrote:Nevada scored 20. Don't think chief is watching the games.

Well, sorry about that. Not 22 but 20. Thanks for the correction. I've watched every game except I missed the 2nd half to the NAU game because I fell asleep.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

97cats wrote:Arizona 38 UCLA 34
UCLA scores 34 on that D? Wow. That's bold. :D
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

Its kind of strange for me this week because I'm not pessimistic or optimistic in any real sense. I think its a pretty even match up, with a slight edge going to UCLA on talent alone.

I just feel its time to stop all of talk, and just man up. If your a 2nd or 3rd stringer on the depth chart or even a walk-on thrown into the mix, it doesn't matter anymore because when the game starts you have to go make stops on D, and make plays on O.

This game is going to be won or lost in the trenches. The big ugly's will set the tone and our defensive front is still not much to write home about. Our big boys are getting better at pressure but still not where they need to be at this level.

Who ever controls the line of scrimmage will be your winner.

On a side note I really, really hope they don't bring back Scooby too soon for a hyped up game. Re-injuring the knee will result in being done for the year.

Last but not least Jarrard Randall is freaking greased lightening fast. The kid has an extra gear that most players only dream of. He is a certifiable home run hitter every time he touches the ball.

We have got to find a way to that kid the ball outside of the QB position because we all know Anu is not coming out of this game unless injured.

As we all know injuries are apart of the game and everyone has them. It's suck it up time and I expect this to be a highly contested hard hitting game that will produce even more injuries on both sides.

You know Rich Rod and the staff wants this game bad, going 0-4 against the Bruins and Mora in the RR era is a close second in dislike only to losing to TG and ASS Crack U.

This will be a hell of a game and the winner will control the early season PAC12 South chess board.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

chiefzona wrote:
Im not sure Arizona has scored 38 points combined in three previous years.

I think Arizona should win this game, but they could suffer what USC went through. You beat up on a bunch of terrible schools and when you face a program that is much bigger, stronger, and faster than previous opponents, you are unable to adjust.
gumby

Post by gumby »

100-0.

You disappoint me.
Right where I want to be.
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

MrBug708 wrote:
chiefzona wrote:

I think Arizona should win this game, but they could suffer what USC went through. You beat up on a bunch of terrible schools and when you face a program that is much bigger, stronger, and faster than previous opponents, you are unable to adjust.
You're trying way to hard to spin this the other way. Seriously. You don't think Arizona is going to win anymore than I think ucla is going to win. Don't compare us to SC as there's nothing comparable between Sark and RR. One coach has beaten Oregon 2 times in 3 years while the other coach has never sniffed at beating Oregon.

Interesting. Let's see, BYU struggles to beat a Nebraska team that hasn't looked good at all thus far. They then struggle to beat a Boise St team that didn't look good against a UW team that couldn't find the end zone to save it's life. They then have the lead against Ucla for most of the game and lose at the end. So is BYU really that good or are the teams they've played not that good?

Ucla played Unlv who hasn't won a game thus far. Virginia? They played ND tough and beat William and Mary by 6. Bill and Mary put up 29 on VA which is 5 points less than what Ucla did.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

MrBug708 wrote:
chiefzona wrote:

43 actually. Gosh.

chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

DC-You are making me nervous. You are off it man. The king of smack is holding back. Disappointing. BTW DC....Sark beat RR at home last year. Tough to trash talk when score board says different. Oregon? They're a north team. RR hasn't beat UCLA either. This year might be different but I think Bug had a pretty solid take.
Sid

Post by Sid »

Bug,

Do you think some of the coaching staff will be wearing eye black for this game again? My score prediction will be effected by this question I seek.

Thanks,

Sid
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Sid wrote:Bug,

Do you think some of the coaching staff will be wearing eye black for this game again? My score prediction will be effected by this question I seek.

Thanks,

Sid
I'll be wearing eye black.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

dc4azcats wrote:
MrBug708 wrote:
chiefzona wrote:

You're trying way to hard to spin this the other way. Seriously. You don't think Arizona is going to win anymore than I think ucla is going to win. Don't compare us to SC as there's nothing comparable between Sark and RR. One coach has beaten Oregon 2 times in 3 years while the other coach has never sniffed at beating Oregon.

Interesting. Let's see, BYU struggles to beat a Nebraska team that hasn't looked good at all thus far. They then struggle to beat a Boise St team that didn't look good against a UW team that couldn't find the end zone to save it's life. They then have the lead against Ucla for most of the game and lose at the end. So is BYU really that good or are the teams they've played not that good?

Ucla played Unlv who hasn't won a game thus far. Virginia? They played ND tough and beat William and Mary by 6. Bill and Mary put up 29 on VA which is 5 points less than what Ucla did.
I don't think you wrote that with a straight face. An Arizona fan discussing the merits of someone else's OOC schedule? C'mon. UCLA has the best Non-Conference win in the conference with their win over BYU and you're trying to discount it? If our positions were switched, you'd be saying I was so full of shit, even toilet paper wouldn't touch me. But hey, let's question Nebraska and BSU, but UTSA and NAU, I mean, they won some games, so they aren't so bad. Oh wait, UTSA has looked like total crap against OK State and Kansas State. But you would see me trying to spin anything. I'm not a spin doctor. Everyone knows I'm much more passive aggressive. I'd say something like Arizona's defense isn't quite that of UC Davis' defense.

It's stupid to compare coaches, I agree. I mean, RichRod lost to both Sark and WSU in the same season. Was the best coaching staff in the country just taking the night off? Or do we only compare games that we want to. But your coaches comparison is mostly a red herring, especially using Oregon as an example. You know why? Jim Mora hasn't beaten Oregon or Stanford, yet he's owned RichRod. It was a pointless tangent, designed to take away from the fact that Arizona has yet to play a real opponent and as before, if we were switched, you'd be endlessly pointing out this fact. Like the point about UCLA starting school this week. It's a valid one, but it would be as useful as me changing directions and talking about academic rankings and school.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Sid wrote:Bug,

Thanks,

Sid
The coach who did is no longer around. The player who did is out injured. I wouldnt put it past the players, they do it quite often
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

MrBug708 wrote:UCLA has the best Non-Conference win in the conference with their win over BYU.
How sad is that.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

azgreg wrote:
MrBug708 wrote:UCLA has the best Non-Conference win in the conference with their win over BYU.
How sad is that.
TAMU won, MSU won, only game of note left is beating Notre Dame. BYU could end up at double digit wins
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Byu also should/could be 0-3

MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

But they arent. We are talking about reality
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

MrBug708 wrote:
dc4azcats wrote:
MrBug708 wrote:
chiefzona wrote:

I don't think you wrote that with a straight face. An Arizona fan discussing the merits of someone else's OOC schedule? C'mon. UCLA has the best Non-Conference win in the conference with their win over BYU and you're trying to discount it? If our positions were switched, you'd be saying I was so full of shit, even toilet paper wouldn't touch me. But hey, let's question Nebraska and BSU, but UTSA and NAU, I mean, they won some games, so they aren't so bad. Oh wait, UTSA has looked like total crap against OK State and Kansas State. But you would see me trying to spin anything. I'm not a spin doctor. Everyone knows I'm much more passive aggressive. I'd say something like Arizona's defense isn't quite that of UC Davis' defense.

It's stupid to compare coaches, I agree. I mean, RichRod lost to both Sark and WSU in the same season. Was the best coaching staff in the country just taking the night off? Or do we only compare games that we want to. But your coaches comparison is mostly a red herring, especially using Oregon as an example. You know why? Jim Mora hasn't beaten Oregon or Stanford, yet he's owned RichRod. It was a pointless tangent, designed to take away from the fact that Arizona has yet to play a real opponent and as before, if we were switched, you'd be endlessly pointing out this fact. Like the point about UCLA starting school this week. It's a valid one, but it would be as useful as me changing directions and talking about academic rankings and school.
Good luck on Saturday night. Please keep the spin coming. With as tough as Ucla's OOC schedule apparently was, I'm surprised the line is only 3.5? With who we played it should've been 13.5 shouldn't it? Here's some spin for you Bug, what's Arizona record as a home dog in the RR era? Against Ok State, Oregon and SC we not only covered but won straight up. Last year against SC we pushed and if not for the last second missed FG he would be 4-0.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

For what its worth I think we win but with a score of like 45-42 as our defense will get run over by UCLA but think we force Rosen into a couple turnovers which is the difference. No way our offense doesn't score points at home.

I also think we will then go up to Stanford and get exposed. That game scares me a lot more as I could see us getting the big win at home then pulling the crap we always pull and losing the next game badly to get brought down to earth.

I think our defense without Scobby will get exposed in the Pac-12 but if he comes back strong, we should be ok there. I do think our offense (outside of just a marginal OL) is the best I have ever seen with so much talent and experience everywhere.

I also think the lack of depth at LB shows that our 2014 and 2015 classes for linebackers were big misses outside of franklin contributing later on. We need about 2-3 more LB's for this next class. BUT going into the season i thought we did have good depth at LB with TuriTuri, Scobby, Miller, Matthews, Ippolito, Sir Thomas, Gregory, Ware, Smothers, Cobb, Franklin, etc. Losing Ippolito was huge as he would have plugged Scobby's role well. Not the coaches fault injuries hit us so badly there, I mean we had the best MLB in the country coming back with probably the best MLB back up in the Pac-12. Too lose both is not solely on the coaches

Thats all, beat the bruins
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
qwertyus

Post by qwertyus »

Are some posters really trying to buff up our OOC schedule? Compared to UCLA's? I mean, at least I can see that with ASU, but UCLA? Come on. We've been getting better each game, that's about as much as you can reasonably say about our team. UCLA played a harder OOC and they look good, but they've got a true Freshman QB playing in his first PAC-12 road game against an opportunistic defense, and we're catching him off of a bad previous week. That's basically how both teams shake out from their OOC, and everything else is just haggling.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Not sure what to make of this game yet. UCLA has better talent on its overall roster and there strength is there OLine. I keep thinking they will just run it down our throats and we will have to committ so many guys to stop the run that we will make Rosen look good through the air.

I then drift off and think we have the best offense in the league but I then wake up and realize Mora and company have done a great job against our offense the last 3 years. Only Denker and his run threat seemed to bother UCLA and Anu just isn't a threat.

No doubt our team and fans will be lathered up and loud and I do hope we just have an explosion on offense and we outscore the Bruins. If we win I think the game goes over 62 (the over/under). 38-34 cats but I really don't know
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

Newportcat wrote: I also think we will then go up to Stanford and get exposed. That game scares me a lot more as I could see us getting the big win at home then pulling the crap we always pull and losing the next game badly to get brought down to earth.
Highly doubt it. RR vs. Shaw and both of them have their guys in their programs now. Ask other coaches who they'll take in that one.

One thing that I like about this game - UCLA is coming in ranked in the top ten. Coming to Arizona is dangerous for any top ten team.
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

qwertyus wrote:Are some posters really trying to buff up our OOC schedule? Compared to UCLA's? I mean, at least I can see that with ASU, but UCLA? Come on. We've been getting better each game, that's about as much as you can reasonably say about our team. UCLA played a harder OOC and they look good, but they've got a true Freshman QB playing in his first PAC-12 road game against an opportunistic defense, and we're catching him off of a bad previous week. That's basically how both teams shake out from their OOC, and everything else is just haggling.
What's to Buff up? It is what it is. At the same time I'm not sure Ucla's is all that great either. BYU isn't 0-3 but how many teams hit one Hail Mary in a season let alone two? Virginia struggled to beat William and Mary by 5 points. Unlv is ranked 127th of 128 by Phil Steele. You say it was a harder schedule and I'm not arguing it, but by how much and does that difference really mean much? Honestly, it's to UA's advantage that they played a physical BYU on Saturday while we played NAU. We rested a bunch of guys but also had the chance to play a lot of guys it was the best of both worlds.

The first 3 games are really the exhibition season and the key is to improve each and every game which I think we did. The rubber hits the road on Saturday.
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

Interesting comment and it would be more like 2 and a half weeks? :o

Will Carroll ‏@injuryexpert · 1h1 hour ago
ESPN seems surprised Scooby Wright could return in 2 weeks. Happens all the time after meniscus removal.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

No felony charges for Ismael Adams. He could return this weekend, but Tracy speculated that it would likely be for next week
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

Pac12 South runs through Tucson this year. AZ earned that.

Don't care if UCLA favored or if AZ were heavily favored to win. Rich Rod at AZ has never beaten UCLA. We all know that. UCLA has dominated Rich Rod at times. We all know that too.

Both teams pretty Damn good. It's a fair duel. AZ at home, should have the edge, No excuses.

Such a great opportunity for Rich Rod to get that win. When good teams win...
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

MrBug708 wrote:No felony charges for Ismael Adams. He could return this weekend, but Tracy speculated that it would likely be for next week
I'm not surprised, it didn't sound like a crime that should be elevated to a felony.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

I think one of the keys for Arizona to win is for Anu to find his targets early instead of overthrowing receivers for at least a quarter as usual. If we get behind, I'm not sure our D can get enough stops for us to catch up.

If he can hit his targets early, I think we win.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

I loved Glenn's comment Saturday. He said, and I paraphrase, that he has known a lot of coaches, and one outstanding quality of RichRod is he always thinks he has an answer. How true. We have all seen this, and I believe this was THE key to last season's success. I also believe the same can be said of Coach Casteel. Above all else, these guys know their shit, and win or not, will always put the team in the best position to do so.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

I have a gut feeling UCLA will win, but I just don't see us repeating a 37% completion percentage and 2.6 yards per carry.. The only question is can the defense perform well enough to hold them under 20 again.. Home field should help but LB depth is still scary and as much as I want Scoob to play this game, I'd rather have him 100% the rest of the season.. That being said I think he plays limited because he is too much of a competitor to sit out.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I believe that UCLA has the better team.... but in RichRod I trust. I really think we find a way to win this 1. Anu and Nick are playing amazing ball right now.... RichRod hinting he's going to use Randall in this game (not as qb) and I gotta believe Scooby is going to have this defense fired up even if he isn't playing in this game.

Go Cats!
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

Not sure he knows anything being associated with ESPN...
But it will be AZ trainers - medical personnel that will clear Scooby or not. Don't think Scooby or coaches have that much pull in deciding. But I would expect if trainers give Scooby any clearance, that Scooby will play, BUT limited (or at least dressed). For the emotional boost
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

Starting safety and CB, all the more reason to get Adams back :?:
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

I think Mora has to sit Adams at least one more game. If not, let it be known Mora does not discipline on gameday.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

azcat49 wrote:Not sure what to make of this game yet. UCLA has better talent on its overall roster and there strength is there OLine. I keep thinking they will just run it down our throats and we will have to committ so many guys to stop the run that we will make Rosen look good through the air.

I then drift off and think we have the best offense in the league but I then wake up and realize Mora and company have done a great job against our offense the last 3 years. Only Denker and his run threat seemed to bother UCLA and Anu just isn't a threat.

No doubt our team and fans will be lathered up and loud and I do hope we just have an explosion on offense and we outscore the Bruins. If we win I think the game goes over 62 (the over/under). 38-34 cats but I really don't know
wurd. i'm thinking it'll be a real shootout on saturday. looking forward to seeing the atmosphere on national tv -- the fans are gonna be HOT and LOUD on game day. at the same time, though, i'm trying not to overinflate my own expectations after the nau blowout (because, nau), and:
Alieberman wrote:I believe that UCLA has the better team.... but in RichRod I trust.

bd
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Stunning development
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

It didn't really sound like a felony offense from the get go, but the 'it's being dropped from a felony to misdemeanor so we are instantly reinstating him...'oh, are we happening to play possibly our most important PAC game this weekend? I didn't know that...' is very typical of college sports, pro sports...hell, typical of everything in the world.

As soon as it's money time it's peace out for the morals.
Last edited by SCCats on Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Main Event wrote:Stunning development

Shocked I tell you. Shocked.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

fullly convinced if Moreau wasn't out for the season he wouldn't have been reinstated..
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

btfd16 wrote:fullly convinced if Moreau wasn't out for the season he wouldn't have been reinstated..
It's probably multiple things that came together. It's a big game, having db issues, being able to successfully lobby the DA to drop the charge to misdemeanor so you feel like you have some cover to make the move...all of that comes together to create the perfect storm where morals get flushed down the toilet.

C'est la vie. Time to kick some Bruin ass.
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

Its embarrassing for them but all coaches are judged on one thing, winning.
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

Adams will be rusty and not thoroughly game ready conditionally. At least not a full game - up tempo. Even IF he were to play. The Moreau injury more significant towards the game.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

The felony charges were declined yesterday. Why is anyone shocked he's back with the team? He's already been off the team for three weeks. I agree with Moreau being out for the year, he'll likely play now, but there is nothing nefarious about him coming back now. The DA had moved the court case hearing back three weeks originally. Pretty sure it wasn't to dick Arizona over, unless you mean keeping a kid off the practice field longer somehow hurts Arizona more than UCLA.

Denzel Fisher has looked great in games so he will likely start
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Gilbertcat wrote:Its embarrassing for them but all coaches are judged on one thing, winning.
Exactly...winning is the thing.

The more serious example of that was old Art Briles over at Baylor. He recruits a transfer who he's told is a rapist and then that guys rapes on campus.

Did Art lose his job? We all know the answer and let's just say it's a good thing for Art he was 12-1 last year and not 6-6, 'cause if he had been 6-6 you probably get a statement from the AD saying "We hold ourselves to higher standards here at Baylor..."

But at 12-1...not so much.