Fired Casteel

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

illcat

Re: Fire Casteel

Post by illcat »

I'll post it again, RR must owe casteel BIG TIME!
I mean I am not complaining but it must suck for good ugly girls.
--Officer Craig

You'll forgive DW99, he's used to the methed-out slores in Tempe ...
--Reydituto
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

chiefzona wrote:
Dkenner wrote:does anyone know how good of a DB coach Addae is yet? cause I got a cousin flipping burgers that thinks he can coach too!

Hey DK.....Lockwood was garbage. This Addae kid hasn't even coached one game as a CB coach. We all know the real problem is Casteel but hey, let's get your cousin in the mix.
Learn to use Google. Addae was RB coach at Cincy, and graduate assistant coaching DB's (last time I checked, CB was a DB, right?) at Michigan. Dude was also an all conference DB in college - I know it doesn't stack up to "Salty Internet Guy" as yourself, but the dude is probably a good coach and a young, energetic guy. Which can be a good combo for recruiting.

Back to the Casteel thing...the dude has had top 10 defenses in the past and has a good rep, once again he's not as well known as you, the "Salty Internet Guy", but I'll take his track record over yours any day.

You are picking and choosing your phrases and facts very cleverly, being the "Salty Internet Guy" that you are, but I don't see what your motivation is. Not building your business - being a jackass isn't good for business. Especially in the role you play as a mentor to these kids.

Just sayin....
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

wyo-cat wrote:
chiefzona wrote:
Dkenner wrote:does anyone know how good of a DB coach Addae is yet? cause I got a cousin flipping burgers that thinks he can coach too!

Hey DK.....Lockwood was garbage. This Addae kid hasn't even coached one game as a CB coach. We all know the real problem is Casteel but hey, let's get your cousin in the mix.
Learn to use Google. Addae was RB coach at Cincy, and graduate assistant coaching DB's (last time I checked, CB was a DB, right?) at Michigan. Dude was also an all conference DB in college - I know it doesn't stack up to "Salty Internet Guy" as yourself, but the dude is probably a good coach and a young, energetic guy. Which can be a good combo for recruiting.

Back to the Casteel thing...the dude has had top 10 defenses in the past and has a good rep, once again he's not as well known as you, the "Salty Internet Guy", but I'll take his track record over yours any day.

You are picking and choosing your phrases and facts very cleverly, being the "Salty Internet Guy" that you are, but I don't see what your motivation is. Not building your business - being a jackass isn't good for business. Especially in the role you play as a mentor to these kids.

Just sayin....
Oh, I'm just playing around with my buddy DK. CB meaning he hasn't even coached up corners and that's a big eyesore on this team. Safeties are tough to coach in this system so that'll be a big challenge as well. I knew he was a RB coach but why mention it when it's completely irrelevant to coaching DBs. Casteel is unreal as a DC and he's one of the best in the game. :D Thanks for the tip but I don't compromise my thoughts and feelings for anyone let alone my business. I'm not a local hack or profiteer who uses canned statements and feel good comments to polish a terd. Business is good btw and if me being a jackass helps to turn people away, well that's a good thing. Thanks for the tips and for the salty internet guy. That was clever.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

It's spelled "turd".
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Chicat wrote:It's spelled "turd".

:lol:
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

catinfl wrote:Addae is a proven recruiter. Did well at Cincinnati
"Addae has also been recognized by Rivals.com as one of the top-10 recruiters in the BIG EAST Conference in 2010-11."http://www.gobearcats.com/sports/m-foot ... ile00.html

Forgive me for not getting too excited about Lockwoods demise. While he certainly deserved it RRod chose to replace him not with someone with Western recruiting ties (which we badly need) but with someone who is acknowledged for being a top recruiter in the Big East. It appears that RRod is intent on keeping a staff that is constructed for running a program on the East Coast, not the PAC12.

The day that RRod sacks Casteel & Kirlawich (sp?) and replaces them with West Coast based assistants will be the day that RRod demonstrates that he is trying to build a long term program at AZ. Until then, he's just treading water until he can high-tail it back east on his own terms.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

He did that with Robert Anae and then when he left he hired the CAL OLine coach (coach Mic) but no doubt he likes his buddies.

I am willing to give the guy the benefit of the doubt as I have heard he really is a good recruiter. Time will tell.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

azcat49 wrote:He did that with Robert Anae and then when he left he hired the CAL OLine coach (coach Mic) but no doubt he likes his buddies.

I am willing to give the guy the benefit of the doubt as I have heard he really is a good recruiter. Time will tell.
For real Cat fans, we have no choice but to give him the benefit of the doubt and hope he succeeds.

But I am reluctant to buy into this 'he is a great recruiter' talk track that Scheer initiated. Yes, I know he was rated one of the 10 best recruiting assistants in the Big East while he was at Cincinnati (decent accolade, but let's not get carried away). Recruiting is the lifeblood of every college program, and a great recruiter with position coach experience would have been on the trail for somebody... and not working in our film room these past 3 (or however many) seasons.

I remember reading how Ragle was going to give us a big edge in recruiting the Valley. Yawn.

Rhetoric is part of the game, I get that. But when it does not pass the smell test - don't blame those of us who don't buy into it.

I will be ecstatic to eat crow if this guy moves the needle with our '17 class.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Harvey Specter wrote:
azcat49 wrote:He did that with Robert Anae and then when he left he hired the CAL OLine coach (coach Mic) but no doubt he likes his buddies.

For real Cat fans, we have no choice but to give him the benefit of the doubt and hope he succeeds.

But I am reluctant to buy into this 'he is a great recruiter' talk track that Scheer initiated. Yes, I know he was rated one of the 10 best recruiting assistants in the Big East while he was at Cincinnati (decent accolade, but let's not get carried away). Recruiting is the lifeblood of every college program, and a great recruiter with position coach experience would have been on the trail for somebody... and not working in our film room these past 3 (or however many) seasons.

I remember reading how Ragle was going to give us a big edge in recruiting the Valley. Yawn.

Rhetoric is part of the game, I get that. But when it does not pass the smell test - don't blame those of us who don't buy into it.

I will be ecstatic to eat crow if this guy moves the needle with our '17 class.
Agree 100%. At this point, I have almost felt Ragle has hurt our recruiting in the valley as I have heard rumors many of the other area coaches do not like him from his time at Chapparal. We also have gotten some Chapparal players but none have made a major difference so far.

I think this recruiting class could be the first that I can remember that does not have a Phoenix area player in it.
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
Dkenner

Post by Dkenner »

anyone watching this WV/Asu game and see what the 335 is supposed to look like?
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Which one? Both teams play it.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Dkenner wrote:anyone watching this WV/Asu game and see what the 335 is supposed to look like?
Neither WV or ASU played any defense last night so I guess I did see what the 335 was supposed to look like...just terrible
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Casteel was fired!
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Last edited by Newportcat on Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Newportcat wrote:Casteel was fired!
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Wow, didn't see that coming.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

I guess rich Rod isn't that loyal after all...wow big move and who would you guys like us to get?
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

:D. My work is done here.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

dmjcat wrote:
catinfl wrote:Addae is a proven recruiter. Did well at Cincinnati
"Addae has also been recognized by Rivals.com as one of the top-10 recruiters in the BIG EAST Conference in 2010-11."http://www.gobearcats.com/sports/m-foot ... ile00.html

Forgive me for not getting too excited about Lockwoods demise. While he certainly deserved it RRod chose to replace him not with someone with Western recruiting ties (which we badly need) but with someone who is acknowledged for being a top recruiter in the Big East. It appears that RRod is intent on keeping a staff that is constructed for running a program on the East Coast, not the PAC12.

The day that RRod sacks Casteel & Kirlawich (sp?) and replaces them with West Coast based assistants will be the day that RRod demonstrates that he is trying to build a long term program at AZ. Until then, he's just treading water until he can high-tail it back east on his own terms.
Maybe he is trying to build a program here then

Love this move to fire the coaches after four years of pretty bad defensive football
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

The big question now is does RR stick with the 3-3-5?
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Peace Casteel. Hoping you take the 3-3-5 with you
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

Shocking. I just didn't see this happening.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
TuiTouchdown

Post by TuiTouchdown »

Wow. I'm shocked that it actually happened. Would have thought the position coaches would go first, then Casteel. But... OK... who are we looking at as his replacement?

What do you guys think?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Wonder if the hammer came down from Byrne? Casteel and RR were drinking buddies going way back. You would have thought RR would have given them one more year to get vested in the state retirement system.

Looks like the video guy will be the best recruiter left...

Last edited by Merkin on Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

Maybe look to a playoff contender and steal their DC. Some guy named Mike Stoops.

/kidding
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

RR still likes the 3-3-5, so I'm guessing it stays. What will probably change is how aggressive we are with blitzes. When played correctly, there should always be at least 4 guys rushing the passer. When you play it conservatively like Casteel, you end up giving the QB plenty of time to throw with big passing lanes, and RBs nice wide-open holes in the line until they get to the second level.

chiefzona wrote:My work is done here.
Bon Voyage to you and Casteel.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

I wouldn't expect a 4-3 defense anytime soon.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Chicat wrote:RR still likes the 3-3-5, so I'm guessing it stays. What will probably change is how aggressive we are with blitzes. When played correctly, there should always be at least 4 guys rushing the passer. When you play it conservatively like Casteel, you end up giving the QB plenty of time to throw with big passing lanes, and RBs nice wide-open holes in the line until they get to the second level.
Yep, rushing 3 and dropping back 8 into coverage only works against crummy QBs. Anyone half decent gets career games against that defense.

Especially when the UA DBs are a step slower and 6" shorter than the receivers.

Always rush 4, just disguising where the 4th is coming from.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

oh wow. well....it can't get any worse. interested to see what we do.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

I think Wilcox got thrown under the bus a bit at USC as their DC. Major west coast connections

I would really like to hire a guy who

1. Actually recruits
2. Has west coast connections
3. Doesn't run the 335

I would say this firing has raised my excitement level for next year for sure as the thought of watching casteel running the 335 made me sick
uacat540

Post by uacat540 »

This has an undertone of my favorite man, Byrne. With a huge retention bonus upcoming, RR's flirting with SC, it sounds like Byrne said enough is enough and saw that Arizona was headed backwards without significant changes. Hate that we are all happy that 2 people lost their jobs, families have to move etc, but this was needed. I still want pendergast here with ogeron as a d line coach. That would finally show a commitment of serious levels on behalf of Arizona to football. Man has there been a better weekend than ASU craping down its leg in both sports and a well needed staff shake up on the Arizona front?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

Newportcat wrote:I think Wilcox got thrown under the bus a bit at USC as their DC. Major west coast connections

I would really like to hire a guy who

1. Actually recruits
2. Has west coast connections
3. Doesn't run the 335

I would say this firing has raised my excitement level for next year for sure as the thought of watching casteel running the 335 made me sick
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

TuiTouchdown

Post by TuiTouchdown »

Pendergrast would be very interesting...
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

Merkin wrote:
Chicat wrote:RR still likes the 3-3-5, so I'm guessing it stays. What will probably change is how aggressive we are with blitzes. When played correctly, there should always be at least 4 guys rushing the passer. When you play it conservatively like Casteel, you end up giving the QB plenty of time to throw with big passing lanes, and RBs nice wide-open holes in the line until they get to the second level.
Yep, rushing 3 and dropping back 8 into coverage only works against crummy QBs. Anyone half decent gets career games against that defense.

Especially when the UA DBs are a step slower and 6" shorter than the receivers.

Always rush 4, just disguising where the 4th is coming from.
That's they key to the 3-3-5. Another guy is coming, you just don't know where he's coming from. I think Casteel was too worried about the secondary to send more blitzers and then with the QB having extra time the secondary was going to have trouble anyway. Against USC and Utah they were much more aggressive on defense and it showed. USC has a stud o-line and they were knocking Kessler all over the place.

RR is in uncharted waters here. He's without Casteel but this time it's by his own choice. We'll see if he stays 3-3-5 or if he switches up philosophy. Rodriguez has said many times that even though it's a 3 man front they've got a fourth guy at the line quite a bit, which makes me wonder if he's not going to stay 3-3-5 but have a DC run it with a different philosophy. It has worked before, not just at West Virginia but at other places including South Carolina. It wasn't working here, under conservative play calling. Oughta be a fun next few days.
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

I'd like to believe that RR learned his lesson at Michigan when he tried to make two unfamiliar DCs run the 3-3-5 and both failed miserably. He's not going to get a top DC candidate to Tucson to run the 3-3-5, or without giving complete defensive control. Hopefully it's gone.

Is Justin Wilcox available?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Is it possible that this was mandated by GB?
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

I hope they shitcan the 3-3-5... I just worry that RR loves it more than he loved Casteel. His defenses at Michigan sucked and the scheme is the one constant at both places (aside from him).

I think our defense is going to be weak for a while anyhow because of personnel issues. I'd just as soon flush this turd and position ourselves to recruit better defensive prospects in the future.

Seems ridiculous to have named a CB coach when this move was coming. RR hates being micromanaged, but he does not seem to mind doing it... Unless he gives the new DC free reign to make any & all changes he wants to, including Addae.

This smells like Byrne was involved in some way... The Lockwood release appears to have been in response to "changes need to be made". These moves look like round 2 after being told "Not good enough".
Last edited by Harvey Specter on Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

azgreg wrote:Is it possible that this was mandated by GB?
I'd doubt it. Athletic directors getting involved in football decisions is a recipe for trouble.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

uacat540 wrote:This has an undertone of my favorite man, Byrne. With a huge retention bonus upcoming, RR's flirting with SC, it sounds like Byrne said enough is enough and saw that Arizona was headed backwards without significant changes. Hate that we are all happy that 2 people lost their jobs, families have to move etc, but this was needed. I still want pendergast here with ogeron as a d line coach. That would finally show a commitment of serious levels on behalf of Arizona to football. Man has there been a better weekend than ASU craping down its leg in both sports and a well needed staff shake up on the Arizona front?
Heard yesterday that Clancy is going back to USC
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

azgreg wrote:
He's from Tucson but is better slated as a DL coach. Decent west coast recruiter.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

uacat540 wrote:This has an undertone of my favorite man, Byrne. With a huge retention bonus upcoming, RR's flirting with SC, it sounds like Byrne said enough is enough and saw that Arizona was headed backwards without significant changes. Hate that we are all happy that 2 people lost their jobs, families have to move etc, but this was needed. I still want pendergast here with ogeron as a d line coach. That would finally show a commitment of serious levels on behalf of Arizona to football. Man has there been a better weekend than ASU craping down its leg in both sports and a well needed staff shake up on the Arizona front?
I don't feel bad at all for guys who make as much money as casteel made the past couple of years getting fired

He will be just fine and the DL guy can just retire
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Casteel coach from the sideline? Always thought it was better to have your O and D coordinators up in the booth where they can see the whole field, plus the television game feeds and use that birds-eye view to make adjustments on the fly. Hopefully the next guy we get is in the booth and relaying stuff down to the position coaches.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

wyo-cat wrote:
chiefzona wrote:

Just sayin....

Want to revisit that Casteel thing? Even RR disagrees.

Love,

Salty Internet Guy
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Chicat wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Casteel coach from the sideline? Always thought it was better to have your O and D coordinators up in the booth where they can see the whole field, plus the television game feeds and use that birds-eye view to make adjustments on the fly. Hopefully the next guy we get is in the booth and relaying stuff down to the position coaches.

I've said that for the last four years but was scoffed. Good perception though.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

Ok smart guys...who, realistically, do you want to fill the open defensive coaching spots and why?
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

Hopefully now we can all move on and the haters can find something else to hate. You won't have Casteel to kick around anymore. lol Not that he didn't deserve it. To me moving Addae into the DB coaching position makes more sense now. I think people knew this was coming and they needed someone in the fore front that knew all of the recruits we have committed presently to try and preserve some of the commitments. This is going to be interesting for sure.
carolinacat

Post by carolinacat »

azgreg wrote:Is it possible that this was mandated by GB?
I think the question should be, is it possible that this was RR's own decision without any pressure. I think the answer to that is no. RR runs the program, but Byrne runs the AD and the boosters also have some say and some pressure. Everyone saw this coming and knew a change had to happen. Still, until recruiting changes significantly, it's all smoke and mirrors regardless of the scheme you run.