Welcome Aboard Marcel Yates Arizona's New DC

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

dmjcat

Re: Welcome Aboard Marcel Yates Arizona's New DC

Post by dmjcat »

Major Kudos to RRod. In my book he just got another 3 years to develop a program........it will take that long to get some defensive recruits on board. I'm not expecting much this year as most of the better players are spoken for.

Lets check my list:

Get rid of Casteel and Kirlav..........check
4-2-5 Defense............................check
Hire some West coast recruiters.....check
Get Joe Salavea back on board................probably a pipe dream but it would be great to get a UA alum with Poly connections.

I'd settle for Tedy Bruschi instead :lol:
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

dmjcat wrote:Major Kudos to RRod. In my book he just got another 3 years to develop a program........it will take that long to get some defensive recruits on board. I'm not expecting much this year as most of the better players are spoken for.

Lets check my list:

Get Joe Salavea back on board................probably a pipe dream but it would be great to get a UA alum with Poly connections.

I think Tedy as a recruiter would be amazing! He has deep nfl connections that recruits love
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

3goggles wrote:
dmjcat wrote:Major Kudos to RRod. In my book he just got another 3 years to develop a program........it will take that long to get some defensive recruits on board. I'm not expecting much this year as most of the better players are spoken for.

Lets check my list:

I think Tedy as a recruiter would be amazing! He has deep nfl connections that recruits love
I doubt many DL recruiters could flash 3 Super Bowl rings on in-home visits :D
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

dmjcat wrote:
3goggles wrote:

Lets check my list:

I doubt many DL recruiters could flash 3 Super Bowl rings on in-home visits :D
Talk about a pipe dream! He could get kids to run through a brick wall for him! That would be a home run hire too!
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Arizona needs a good DL coach who can reteach and retrain the DL all of the basics, plus better pass rushing skills than was previously taught. That's foremost. Next is mentor. Last comes recruiting. You cannot neglect this position as it is hugely important now with the 4-2-5.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Lets check my list:

This move definitely buys some more time in my book. 3 years sounds reasonable; let's see some improved fundamentals and game planning with a noted uptick in recruiting and I think people can exercise some patience.

We just need to see progress in the areas that matter... And the O needs to keep humming.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

how big a role do you all think the Ninja had in these hires?

Like here RR, have the keys to the caddy, or here RR, here's the caddy and I'll give you date money as long as you go with my driver and head to my restaurant?

somewhere in between?
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

cordera89 wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:
cordera89 wrote:
uacat540 wrote:Cordera, who would you rather have then? Give us a specific name.
It not about who I rather have, it about who going to get the job done.

Like who?
Like who indeed. My choice were Ron English, Randy Shannon, Greg Mattison, Brady Hoke, Gene Chizik, Will Muschamp and some that media name on several article before he was ever mention. I wanted someone that can put a good product on the field. These guys were problably weren't going to get pick or mention.
Those guys are all pipe dreams. That does not mean we did not do very well with who we got.

I would have been happy with any of them because they are big names (proven on D) that probably could have done a good job. Having a DC with that cachet would have been a boon to the program, and their name recognition would have likely boosted recruiting.

All except for probably Hoke, who has never been a coordinator. That is right, he has never called a game.

To think that we should have kept Casteel if we could not have gotten former HC's from elite power 5 schools to be our DC is completely asinine. We needed an upgrade (which wasn't hard, the bar is low) , and we got a big one.

How that is not a cause for celebration... I do not understand.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

Harvey Specter wrote:
cordera89 wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:
cordera89 wrote:
uacat540 wrote:Cordera, who would you rather have then? Give us a specific name.
It not about who I rather have, it about who going to get the job done.

Like who?
Like who indeed. My choice were Ron English, Randy Shannon, Greg Mattison, Brady Hoke, Gene Chizik, Will Muschamp and some that media name on several article before he was ever mention. I wanted someone that can put a good product on the field. These guys were problably weren't going to get pick or mention.
Those guys are all pipe dreams. That does not mean we did not do very well with who we got.

I would have been happy with any of them because they are big names (proven on D) that probably could have done a good job. Having a DC with that cachet would have been a boon to the program, and their name recognition would have likely boosted recruiting.

All except for probably Hoke, who has never been a coordinator. That is right, he has never called a game.

To think that we should have kept Casteel if we could not have gotten former HC's from elite power 5 schools to be our DC is completely asinine. We needed an upgrade (which wasn't hard, the bar is low) , and we got a big one.

How that is not a cause for celebration... I do not understand.
Harvey the magnitude of those names are in fact proven DC of my choose but like said they would be unlikely be choosing if offer by RR. All we know that Hoke is the DC at Oregon in which I don't understand of your point of that but ok.

How is not a celebration? To me it isn't but to rest of yall it is. My point of it is, it not a huge hire in my eyes. He made be a young DC and good recruiter but it doesn't tell me of what he about inherit and the situation he walking into. His task basically is going to put a capable and competitive defense on the field that all I want to see.
qwertyus

Post by qwertyus »

cordera89 wrote:
qwertyus wrote:
cordera89 wrote:So were going to run the 4-2-5 defense then. You know the media really need to stop hyping it up like he a big deal. Sure it a good hired plus he young guys stepping in the shoes of trying to rebuild or let just say remodel our current defense. Question is going to say can he get the job done in the Pac 12 and South Division, Let alone of what accomplish at Boise State against non inferior opponent.
Is English your first language? Your posts are tough to read, for your information.

The question would always be if "insert coach" could get it done in the Pac 12. But, the bar set by Casteel is very low. And, the bar to succeed in the Pac 12 with RR's offense is also low. If he can get us to a 65th ranked defense, aka "average", we'll do very well in the conference.
Tell me this, Is that your best insult of the day is my English. Dude listen, RR gambling on this hired based off his recruiting, It isn't a huge hired it more of what Newport Cats said Walk Off grand slam Hired. Now the competition level is going to be different in what he about to face. This isn't the, MW where his defense was kicking every team ass in., This is PAC 12. He going to be tested in first game and conference play. Ok how long do you think that will take for him to get us at Average Defense. I want a competitive Defense that doesn't get their collective asses handle too on a daily basic. If he cant put a good product on the field then their going to be problem. Unless he like god good at his position because I wouldn't brag about how good of a recruiter he is until the result are in. If he know how to developed talent then that should be his first step.
I wasn't even trying to be insulting. I was just pointing out my difficulties with trying to decipher your posts. I considered a scenario that would explain your terrible sentence structure (or, more accurately, lack-thereof), and I asked a legitimate question. I'm on another message board, with possibly more non-native English speakers than native ones, and I've seen similar issues, which is also why I asked, because I can easily envision that scenario.

Now, to me you seem to have missed the main thrust of my argument. You were wondering why this was a good hire, and why people would hype him up before he's even coached a game. My response was, to put it simply, because he can't be worse than Casteel. He's got such a low bar to jump over, I would be very surprised if we don't see at least solid improvement, (e.g overall in the 80's) as early as next year. As far as where he can take us in the medium-to-long term, that bar is also low, because of how good the offense will be, year in and year out.
Puerco

Re: Welcome aboard Marcel Yates Arizona's new DC

Post by Puerco »

Gimino wrote:I guess I'm just a local guy who thinks this is a home-run hire (or, perhaps I should say, home-run hires).

http://www.tucsonnewsnow.com/story/30991766/gimino-arizona-makes-home-run-hire-with-defensive-coordinator-marcel-yates
Yeah, but you're a homer, Anthony. Always have been.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Looks like Arizona finally got serious on defense again.

Pray for the Pac-12.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

CalStateTempe wrote:how big a role do you all think the Ninja had in these hires?

Like here RR, have the keys to the caddy, or here RR, here's the caddy and I'll give you date money as long as you go with my driver and head to my restaurant?

somewhere in between?
Most likely told him to go get who he thinks is best for the future and just to run any names he's serious about past him, just in case there was something glaringly bad that the Ninja didn't want representing his department. The Ninja is going to let the football coach make the football decisions.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Ok so:

Here's the car RR, date whoever to want and have fun, but don't shame the family name.
uacat540

Post by uacat540 »

CalStateTempe wrote:Ok so:

Here's the car RR, date whoever to want and have fun, but don't shame the family name.
More like-Dont stain the fine pleather with your "oopsie".
Dkenner

Post by Dkenner »

Nope Byrne is actually vetting at the door! I was told 1 potential coach was not approved :shock:
Last edited by Dkenner on Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Not sure why it matters, but AD's usually just give head coaches a salary range they need to abide by when hiring assistants and there are written rules regarding who can and cannot be hired (have to have a degree, pass a background check, drug test, etc).
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

Just tried to talk with the former BSU DB and Yates recruit in my office about the hire and he said he's not talking to me for at least a week. He straight up walked away. Will try to get some insight from him when he cools off. :lol:
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

BearDown89 wrote:Just tried to talk with the former BSU DB and Yates recruit in my office about the hire and he said he's not talking to me for at least a week. He straight up walked away. Will try to get some insight from him when he cools off. :lol:
Sounds like he's pissed he left BSU :lol:
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

See below.
Last edited by CalStateTempe on Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Chicat wrote:

Not sure why it matters, but AD's usually just give head coaches a salary range they need to abide by when hiring assistants and there are written rules regarding who can and cannot be hired (have to have a degree, pass a background check, drug test, etc).
Doesn't matter at all, just having some fun.

sounds like GB did have some direct role if Kenner is correct.
threenumberones

Post by threenumberones »

qwertyus wrote:
cordera89 wrote:
qwertyus wrote:
cordera89 wrote:So were going to run the 4-2-5 defense then. You know the media really need to stop hyping it up like he a big deal. Sure it a good hired plus he young guys stepping in the shoes of trying to rebuild or let just say remodel our current defense. Question is going to say can he get the job done in the Pac 12 and South Division, Let alone of what accomplish at Boise State against non inferior opponent.
Is English your first language? Your posts are tough to read, for your information.

The question would always be if "insert coach" could get it done in the Pac 12. But, the bar set by Casteel is very low. And, the bar to succeed in the Pac 12 with RR's offense is also low. If he can get us to a 65th ranked defense, aka "average", we'll do very well in the conference.
Tell me this, Is that your best insult of the day is my English. Dude listen, RR gambling on this hired based off his recruiting, It isn't a huge hired it more of what Newport Cats said Walk Off grand slam Hired. Now the competition level is going to be different in what he about to face. This isn't the, MW where his defense was kicking every team ass in., This is PAC 12. He going to be tested in first game and conference play. Ok how long do you think that will take for him to get us at Average Defense. I want a competitive Defense that doesn't get their collective asses handle too on a daily basic. If he cant put a good product on the field then their going to be problem. Unless he like god good at his position because I wouldn't brag about how good of a recruiter he is until the result are in. If he know how to developed talent then that should be his first step.
I wasn't even trying to be insulting. I was just pointing out my difficulties with trying to decipher your posts. I considered a scenario that would explain your terrible sentence structure (or, more accurately, lack-thereof), and I asked a legitimate question. I'm on another message board, with possibly more non-native English speakers than native ones, and I've seen similar issues, which is also why I asked, because I can easily envision that scenario.

Now, to me you seem to have missed the main thrust of my argument. You were wondering why this was a good hire, and why people would hype him up before he's even coached a game. My response was, to put it simply, because he can't be worse than Casteel. He's got such a low bar to jump over, I would be very surprised if we don't see at least solid improvement, (e.g overall in the 80's) as early as next year. As far as where he can take us in the medium-to-long term, that bar is also low, because of how good the offense will be, year in and year out.
Excellent post.
threenumberones

BearDown89 wrote:Just tried to talk with the former BSU DB and Yates recruit in my office about the hire and he said he's not talking to me for at least a week. He straight up walked away. Will try to get some insight from him when he cools off. :lol:
Yea, they most certainly are considering him a sellout. Hard to fault them too much for it since he has BSU blood.

That being said, it's really nice to get someone that is wanted. I remember when we got Casteel many of the WVU comments were more along the lines of 'good riddance' or 'good luck with that'. Was a bit of foreshadowing going on there and we didn't even recognize it..
Sid

Post by Sid »

threenumberones wrote:
Yea, they most certainly are considering him a sellout. Hard to fault them too much for it since he has BSU blood.

That being said, it's really nice to get someone that is wanted. I remember when we got Casteel many of the WVU comments were more along the lines of 'good riddance' or 'good luck with that'. Was a bit of foreshadowing going on there and we didn't even recognize it..
I don't know why the "sellout" card is being thrown out by Boise fan? Marcel has said his desire is to become a head coach & feels that goal will be more obtainable in the Pac 12. Make the move to Tucson resurrect a floundering defense have a great deal of success and AD's will take notice. Seems logical to me....

The WVU comment reminds me of Texas fans telling us we were doomed with Armani Mack. Dark & somber times.....love the fact Boise is pissed, we will enjoy coach Yates for as long as we can!
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

threenumberones wrote:

On the sellout idea, I said to him that it's a $200k+ raise and he gets to coach in the Pac12 against USC, Stanford, Oregon, UCLA, etc., etc., and he's like yeah, yeah, I get it - I'm not talking to you for a week. Or it could just be that my office is littered with Block A's and Arizona gear . . . .

You're right about the Casteel recruitment too. We wanted it because RR wanted it and 3 and Out made it critical so we were all pretty deaf to the milquetoast reactions of those outside of Arizona.
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

Sid wrote:
threenumberones wrote:

I don't know why the "sellout" card is being thrown out by Boise fan? Marcel has said his desire is to become a head coach & feels that goal will be more obtainable in the Pac 12. Make the move to Tucson resurrect a floundering defense have a great deal of success and AD's will take notice. Seems logical to me....

The WVU comment reminds me of Texas fans telling us we were doomed with Armani Mack. Dark & somber times.....love the fact Boise is pissed, we will enjoy coach Yates for as long as we can!
My FB post to all my Bronco friends on RR poaching their DC got me nothing but crickets. They have scoreboard, but they can't argue the Pac12 upgrade. They want so badly to be in the Pac12 or Big12.
threenumberones

Sid wrote:
threenumberones wrote:

Yea it's 100% about the fact that he's an alumni from the team, and like any other passionate fanbase they have the right to hope for some allegiance. Logic doesn't really enter the equation in that case.

If Cecil came here and did great as a DC only to take the DC job at LSU after just two years, wouldn't you be a little miffed?
threenumberones

BearDown89 wrote:
threenumberones wrote:

On the sellout idea, I said to him that it's a $200k+ raise and he gets to coach in the Pac12 against USC, Stanford, Oregon, UCLA, etc., etc., and he's like yeah, yeah, I get it - I'm not talking to you for a week. Or it could just be that my office is littered with Block A's and Arizona gear . . . .

You're right about the Casteel recruitment too. We wanted it because RR wanted it and 3 and Out made it critical so we were all pretty deaf to the milquetoast reactions of those outside of Arizona.
Ha, yea I'd probably walk right out too!
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

qwertyus wrote:
cordera89 wrote:
qwertyus wrote:

Let it go, As i said plenty time since that have done already answer your question and still your not going to accept it As I said don't have problem with the hired. I'm just not convince he that type of hired ok. He a decent hired, and I will like to see what can do with current defense and make them play competitively on the field. That it, if you cant take that as an answers, then conversation is done.
Sid

Post by Sid »

threenumberones wrote:
Sid wrote:
threenumberones wrote:

Yea it's 100% about the fact that he's an alumni from the team, and like any other passionate fanbase they have the right to hope for some allegiance. Logic doesn't really enter the equation in that case.

If Cecil came here and did great as a DC only to take the DC job at LSU after just two years, wouldn't you be a little miffed?
I would be bummed, but would I call him a "sellout"....no way. I was one of the few that had no problem with Rich Rod interviewing. I also support those that feel a change is needed to reach a desired goal. Rich choose to stay and then promptly made some very tough decisions to the betterment of our program. Back to Chuck. I would thank him for leaving it all on the field as a former player and embedding that same passion in those that he coached....and I would wish him well.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Yates name-checked Brandon Sanders . . .

*Chicat falls hopelessly in love*
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Great news! Yates and Magee now have multi-year contracts.
So what's the big deal about this?

It's the first time in program history that an assistant coach has received a contract for longer than one fiscal year according to the Arizona Daily Star.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Addae is still jacked. I saw him on campus walking with a player, he looked in better shape than the player.
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Sounds like a shitty situation all the way around.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Can't sell or rent his Idaho properties?

He said almost his entire Arizona salary goes to pay three mortgages on two homes he owns in Eagle; a rental residence in Arizona; monthly living expenses; an auto lease payment for his estranged wife, Melanie

I wonder if he has seen a bankruptcy lawyer?
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

yeah, why not liquidate? median home prices in eagle, id run north of half a mil. seems that would help things along tremendously.
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

dirtbags wrote:yeah, why not liquidate? median home prices in eagle, id run north of half a mil. seems that would help things along tremendously.
Yeah, and the market's been good. I don't live in Eagle proper, but close by in a planned community. Transactions have been steady.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Maybe since he's going through a divorce any ability to sell has to be put on hold until they can agree on a division of assets.
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

Chicat wrote:Maybe since he's going through a divorce any ability to sell has to be put on hold until they can agree on a division of assets.
True, but that really just comes down to splitting the proceeds, if any, but could be tied up in investment entities, etc. "Estranged wife" doesn't sound good either . . . Could be upside down too and/or spread pretty thin given all these investments. Seems like a lot of action for a guy making $250k at the time.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Not a great picture but it fits with the AZ football program right now
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Sid

Post by Sid »

Awesome!
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

Does RR know anything about this before he hired him.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Rushing 3 on 3rd and long does not work for Arizona.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Let's hope he can keep these LA kids committed. So last year Yates and Donte didn't try to flip any of there commits and there precious out of respect we can only hope Donte does the same for us. Highly unlikely though. It likes white from SDSU can do some things in Cali recruiting and coaching let's hope we can land him and hit the trail to keep this class intact
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

We will see what happen on Feb 1 which is National Signing Days on how many RR and the staff can keep intact and what new recruits they bring in.