2017 recruits/commitment thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

wyo-cat

Re: 2017 recruits/commitment thread

Post by wyo-cat »

The ABOR QTR benefit is a 75% discount for dependents, the only time the benefit is taxed is for domestic partners. Athletics would only have to finagle a 1/4 a scholly for Rhett. If he's got straight A's as Scurran says, the. He would be able to get an academic scholly to make up the difference. I'm almost positive that's the route they will go.
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

Scummy Dick Douglas wrote:
tgrumpy2 wrote:This is a new situation for Arizona. I don't think we've had a head coach before with athletic children that were college age. It happens at a lot of other schools including that place in Tempe. Coach Kush gave his kid a scholie to place kick. Although little Danny was capable I think there were better ones available. In the mid 80's the ASU quarterback coach gave his kid a scholarship and he ran the scout team for four years. Rhett certainly has great stats but yea with the talent that he's going to have in front of him, he is definitely going to have to prove he belongs on the field. Other than that, I don't have a problem in the world with it.
We're there scholarship limits back then?
There were limits then. I had to go look up what they were but when Kush's son played the scholarship limit was 105 and when the qb coach's son played the limit had been dropped to 95 which is ten more than are allowed today.
Sage&Silver

Post by Sage&Silver »

wyo-cat wrote:The ABOR QTR benefit is a 75% discount for dependents, the only time the benefit is taxed is for domestic partners. Athletics would only have to finagle a 1/4 a scholly for Rhett. If he's got straight A's as Scurran says, the. He would be able to get an academic scholly to make up the difference. I'm almost positive that's the route they will go.
Putting football players on academic scholarships seems like such a no-brainer way to cheat it has to be prohibited.
Sage&Silver

Post by Sage&Silver »

wyo-cat wrote:The ABOR QTR benefit is a 75% discount for dependents, the only time the benefit is taxed is for domestic partners. Athletics would only have to finagle a 1/4 a scholly for Rhett. If he's got straight A's as Scurran says, the. He would be able to get an academic scholly to make up the difference. I'm almost positive that's the route they will go.
Putting football players on academic scholarships seems like such a no-brainer way to cheat it has to be prohibited.
Sage&Silver

Post by Sage&Silver »

After seeing what the offense could do with Denker, I have no problem using a scholarship on a smart, quick-thinking QB who knows the system. If Rhett Rod can throw a ball further than 10 yards, that's just a bonus. If he can move like BJ, he could be a back-up option.

Its just is very weird that a coach who is so outspoken on the restrictions the NCAA puts on giving scholarships to walk-ons would limit his scholarships even further.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Sage&Silver wrote:

If your managing your roster you would think you would take advantage of the tuition waiver/discount so you could have an extra scholly.

If he beats out BB, he has earned a scholly
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Pretty sure there is 0% chance that any kid playing football can be on academic scholarship
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

MrBug708 wrote:Pretty sure there is 0% chance that any kid playing football can be on academic scholarship
Could be wrong but I'm pretty sure Nate Phillips has some sort of academic scholarship. Same with Werlinginger
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

azcat49 wrote:
Sage&Silver wrote:

If your managing your roster you would think you would take advantage of the tuition waiver/discount so you could have an extra scholly.

If he beats out BB, he has earned a scholly
Interesting point.... If he beats out BB, then I hope it is in a landslide and not close. And what if he doesn't?

The board has spoken. I'll leave this topic alone, now.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I would be shocked Harvey if he beats out BB. He will most definitely run the offense with better efficiency early and maybe once he gets into the weight room he becomes a monster.

Maybe other schools backed off recruiting him because they knew he was going to play for u u s n pops. Regardkess, I think using that scholly for another guy makes the most sense to me but hey, I am not his pops
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

azcat49 wrote:I would be shocked Harvey if he beats out BB. He will most definitely run the offense with better efficiency early and maybe once he gets into the weight room he becomes a monster.

Maybe other schools backed off recruiting him because they knew he was going to play for u u s n pops. Regardkess, I think using that scholly for another guy makes the most sense to me but hey, I am not his pops

I think it's a brilliant move and shows other guys that RR plans on staying. Other coaches can't use the line 'well he's one foot out the door...'
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

whatisee wrote:
azcat49 wrote:I would be shocked Harvey if he beats out BB. He will most definitely run the offense with better efficiency early and maybe once he gets into the weight room he becomes a monster.

I think it's a brilliant move and shows other guys that RR plans on staying. Other coaches can't use the line 'well he's one foot out the door...'
Because coach's kid on scholarship can't transfer?

It will mean more after after next season over if RR stays and Rhett arrives in campus. But even then, it's not the cement shoes you are suggesting.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

whatisee wrote:

Damn, we shouldn't have put together that 6m retention package and just offered his son a scholly.

I hope RR doesn't show a hint of favoritism as guys will be transferring faster than herpes on the ASSU campus
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

azcat49 wrote:
whatisee wrote:

Damn, we shouldn't have put together that 6m retention package and just offered his son a scholly.

I hope RR doesn't show a hint of favoritism as guys will be transferring faster than herpes on the ASSU campus
Rhett is the second coming of Bryce Alford? A little over reaction i think
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

Chicat wrote:
Looks like our newest coach is already at work. Looks like this kid was recruited by SJSU
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

I think Williams goes right after Stephen Carr. He knows him well. I would flip out if Carr decommits from USC and commits to Arizona. One of my favorite 2017 RBs.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

I know USC is really trying to go after Harris to replace Carr
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

MrBug708 wrote:I know USC is really trying to go after Harris to replace Carr

A Tosh Lupoi boy who is Alabama bound.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

A lot of people think he stays in California
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

MrBug708 wrote:A lot of people think he stays in California

Yeah, USC or UCLA bound but momentum of a National Championship and the RB to NFL track record has Alabama soaring right now. Anything can happen.
Footballjunkie

Post by Footballjunkie »

btfd16 wrote:
MrBug708 wrote:Pretty sure there is 0% chance that any kid playing football can be on academic scholarship
Could be wrong but I'm pretty sure Nate Phillips has some sort of academic scholarship. Same with Werlinginger
Don't forget Daniel Borg.
Not sure if he received an academic scholarship but when i last talked to him, years ago, he was set to graduate Summa Cum Laude (>3.90) in his major.
Borg said that graduating Summa Cum Laude was something he could take with him the rest of his life. Cool Name. Cool person. Said that if he didn't get scholarship money, he would pay his parents back somehow.

http://tucsoncitizen.com/morgue/2008/01 ... -football/" target="_blank
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

If you are recruited to play football you cannot receive an academic scholarship.

Only way an academic scholarship recipient can play a sport is if he enrolls at the university, and later decides to play a sport.

Don't know Zach Werlinger's story, but if he was ever recruited to play football for the UA, he cannot receive an academic scholarship in lieu of an athletic one.

Perhaps they get academic scholarships in addition to their athletic ones.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Tate's mom sure had pushing the Arizona Bandwagon of late! I'm loving mama Tate!

https://mobile.twitter.com/serrasportsmom
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

2017 Buena Park HS OT Ryan Nelson was offered today. I'm happy about this one.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

So with the new hires on defense minus the DL coach who are the big targets we are pushing for in the 2017 class. I would think Holmes, Rogers from Neveda?
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

They need to scope out Liberty HS in Vegas. Large population of Hawain's in that neighborhood. I see huge kids around this part of town constantly. Not to mention they just played Gorman for the State title.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Alright Chief, let's have your class wish list for next year
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

I would love to have some way to evaluate some of the young men returning from the military. A lot of good athletes that maybe weren't quite there after high school but a few years of maturing and you have a different animal. I'd love to see some sort of a walk on and eval system for these guys. You could find some real sleepers
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Looks like Britt and Halimon are grayshirting so they are now class of 2017?
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

tgrumpy2 wrote:I would love to have some way to evaluate some of the young men returning from the military. A lot of good athletes that maybe weren't quite there after high school but a few years of maturing and you have a different animal. I'd love to see some sort of a walk on and eval system for these guys. You could find some real sleepers
This is a great and innovative idea! Might be a significant pool of potential recruits that weren't really thinking of going to college. These guys would have a different level of maturity also. Looking to the future with super rose colored glasses, it'd be a great way for the red, white and blue of U of A to be identified as the place to try out for football when your service is over.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

UAEebs86 wrote:Looks like Britt and Halimon are grayshirting so they are now class of 2017?
yep
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Quite a list to be a part of.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

One would think the fact big bro is on our team that we would have the inside track with Holmes.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

His final list will eventually include usc
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

3goggles wrote:One would think the fact big bro is on our team that we would have the inside track with Holmes.
One would hope, but it never seems to turn out that way when the younger brother is the more talented one.

David Fulcher... Rodney Peete... Cory Redding... Michael Philipp... Deehaun Holiday... Calvin Bundage... I am sure I am missing a few.

I hope this time is different, but history is not on our side.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Harvey Specter wrote:
3goggles wrote:One would think the fact big bro is on our team that we would have the inside track with Holmes.
One would hope, but it never seems to turn out that way when the younger brother is the more talented one.

David Fulcher... Rodney Peete... Cory Redding... Michael Philipp... Deehaun Holiday... Calvin Bundage... I am sure I am missing a few.

I hope this time is different, but history is not on our side.
If Cayman was still on the team I bet you Calvin would've commited
Footballjunkie

Post by Footballjunkie »

[/quote]
If Cayman was still on the team I bet you Calvin would've commited[/quote]

I'm not so sure Calvin is an OKG given his last few tweets. When you know where you're going and you lead people on, ...what kind of person does that? Looks like he doesn't see the whole picture or think things out. Why burn bridges/piss people off when you don't have to? I wish him well in life only because he's Cayman's bro.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

I don't think there is such a thing as an inside track against Bama and tOSU. also being on Keyshawn's team bodes well for Nebraska
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
TuiTouchdown

Post by TuiTouchdown »

Sounds like the staff is aiming high:

http://www.azdesertswarm.com/recruiting ... 2017-class" target="_blank

As it says in the article, while we've always been early to offer the elite talent, it seems like the new staffers are approaching this class with a more aggressive attitude.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Lindsey is all Trogan
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

MrBug708 wrote:Alright Chief, let's have your class wish list for next year

2017 shortlist with more to add on:

Moses Robinson
Greg Johnson
Martin Andrus
Brandon McKinney
Nathan Tilford
Jack Sears
Nick Sipe
Jaylon Redd
Aaron Banks
Taariq Johnson
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

I put that list on Twitter and was happy to find Arizona offers to follow. I'll keep some on the low so UCLA doesn't get wind.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Those are some nice names. Andrus will be hard to get out of LA. I think Sears is better than both Darnald and Wilson were. Tilford is highly overrated considering he's 18 in March. He's also never been the same since that Santiago game his freshmen year.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Offers are flying like hot cakes!
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

3goggles wrote:Offers are flying like hot cakes!
Yep!
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Doesn't seem to be ranked by ESPN or Rivals, but decent offers.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Merkin wrote:Doesn't seem to be ranked by ESPN or Rivals, but decent offers.

He's decent.