Current 2015 Commits

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

MrMeow

Re: Current 2015 Commits

Post by MrMeow »

azpenguin wrote:
dc4azcats wrote:
whatisee wrote:
Merkin wrote:Do you have the rating stars Ang?

Class so far seems underwhelming to say the least.
Two star Scooby just scoffed at you
Agree.

I'm curious what else it is that RR and his staff have to prove to Arizona fans as far as recruiting goes? That they recruit the player "they want" instead of what a recruiter thinks and are right way more times than the so called recruiter is? They took a QB in Denker that had no business playing QB in the Pac 12 and helped him lead us to 8 wins and a bowl victory. Said this numerous times but that alone is one of the single greatest coaching jobs ever. There aren't 5 other coaches in the country who could've done what RR and company did with Denker LY. Period.

Scooby Wright, no need to go over the fact that a bunch of Pac 12 schools passed on him while Arizona offered the next day after watching his film. Then flew a private jet a couple of months later just to visit him and make sure his commitment was solid. That's all old news at this point and I'm guessing a bunch of pac 12 schools have similar stories with 2 star recruits?

It's a skill to be able to not only judge talent but to project where that talent will be once you get them on campus. Arizona's coaching staff as proven that they have that skill and it's a skill that trumps most if not all of the staffs in the Pac 12. If that's not the case then maybe somebody can explain why no other school in the Pac 12 offered Scooby a scholi? Not one. He sent tape to every school in the Pac 12 yet only one offered a scholi and he wins 3 national awards as the best defensive player in the country. I'm sure our recruiting will stay "underwhelming" as far as the so called recruiters go. RR and company run rings around those guys.
Nate Phillips comes to mind as well.
No question Scooby and Nate were great finds, as well as a few others. Grant and Bondo immediately come to mind. Nevertheless, there is still an endless debate here about RR's recruiting vs. star ratings. Now that All American lists are in, most prominently the AP list, and the four playoff teams have been named, it would be interesting to know those players' high school star ratings.

Personally, I think star ratings are completely valid, and that RR would love to have more 4 stars, and 5 stars if he could get them. The few we have are stars (no pun intended) or stars to be. I also think RR and staff are exceptional developers of talent (or lack thereof - Denker), which is the major reason they are winning with their "diamonds in the rough".
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

This argument comes back seemingly every time we play USC and UCLA. Coincidence?

Getting beaten in the trenches by those two schools on a consistent basis is the great counterpoint--and one I'd really like to see RichRod improve on over the next two classes.

Getting a four- or five-star noseguard and center to come play at Arizona would take the next step to really making this program a national playoff contender.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Irish27 wrote:

2 star WR from NOLA: http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/r ... ark-153507

Not a bad list of offers.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

Merkin wrote:
Irish27 wrote:

3-star per ESPN.
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/footb ... rell-clark
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

2 guys from that school, lets make it 3 with the hulk
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Irish27 wrote:
Merkin wrote:
Irish27 wrote:

3-star per ESPN.
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/footb ... rell-clark
3 stars on Scout as well.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

24/7 is the only one I really use anymore since it does a composite of all rankings. He's a 3* on 24/7 and seems like another Samaje Grant type guy. Let's just hope he's as good.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

He seem like a stepping stone for hulk to follow him and we are recruiting another kid from there HS for 2016
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Another 2-3 star small receiver...yeahhhhh, its not like we already have like 50 guys like that on the roster.

We better get his teammates
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

Newportcat wrote:Another 2-3 star small receiver...yeahhhhh, its not like we already have like 50 guys like that on the roster.

We better get his teammates
We already have two guys from the school committed to the class. Getting McGinnis and future commits would be a huge bonus, and gives us a 'pipeline' into New Orleans SEC country school. We're NEVER recruited that area like we do now

We need replacements for Grant and Neal
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

I get it as you always need WR's but personally I like the big strong receivers like Jones and Hill rather then a bunch of small receivers like we seem to be getting.

Where are the Defensive lineman, thats what we need in this class. Couple studs for our D Line as you can never have enough of them.
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

RR loves stockpiling 5'9" receivers and any mobile type QB. Didn't he have 7 QBs on the roster last fall, 5 scholarship and 2 walk ons?

Fortunately no new QBs coming in, and at least 2 leaving, so that frees up some scholies for some linemen.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Newportcat wrote:I get it as you always need WR's but personally I like the big strong receivers like Jones and Hill rather then a bunch of small receivers like we seem to be getting.

Where are the Defensive lineman, thats what we need in this class. Couple studs for our D Line as you can never have enough of them.
Well it looks like RR wants speed that Jones and Hill do not possess. So we can call for size but our coach has different visions for this roster.
The Ooh Aah Man

Post by The Ooh Aah Man »

Clark is listed at 6 feet by scout. Not bad, plus he can play DB too.

Arizona has 5 Dlinemen in this class if you include Shariff Williams. That's pretty decent when you only have a three-man front and return all but one guy on the line.

Jamie Nunley is listed as a 6-5 WR, so there you go.