Game #4 vs UCLA Bruins discussion thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

MrBug708

Re: Game #4 vs UCLA Bruins discussion thread

Post by MrBug708 »

PHXCATS wrote:
MrBug708 wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:Sell out on the run on first down and make Rosen pass on 2nd and 3rd with blitz packages he has never seen before. Neal and company will need to be able to stay with their guy one on one but if that can happen I see lots of big plays on defense. I know that is obvious but I think they have the talent and Rosen lacks the experience where this could work well.
Ucla had their D run a 335 in fall practice and I'd imagine also this week in practice. Some benefits of having Tom Bradley at WVa last year.

Jack is a loss but ucla has thevdepth. Next man up
Still doesn't mean that Rosen has seen things in game action. Still way different.
Of course. But it won't be a new concept. And Mazzone has built game plans to counter it
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

MrBug708 wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
MrBug708 wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:Sell out on the run on first down and make Rosen pass on 2nd and 3rd with blitz packages he has never seen before. Neal and company will need to be able to stay with their guy one on one but if that can happen I see lots of big plays on defense. I know that is obvious but I think they have the talent and Rosen lacks the experience where this could work well.
Ucla had their D run a 335 in fall practice and I'd imagine also this week in practice. Some benefits of having Tom Bradley at WVa last year.

Jack is a loss but ucla has thevdepth. Next man up
Still doesn't mean that Rosen has seen things in game action. Still way different.
Of course. But it won't be a new concept. And Mazzone has built game plans to counter it
I think Casteel will have different looks with it than the prior years. I get what you are saying but you could then say no one will ever see a new concept ever if they practice it a few times vs the scout team
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

The biggest loss from the Jack injury was his ability to cover WRs in the slot.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Although Scooby seems less than questionable now.

azthrillhouse

Post by azthrillhouse »

Catstatic wrote:
azthrillhouse wrote:I'm not "excited" that he's out. Never want to see players get injured.

However.

Call me a craven coward, but I want the Cats to win as many games as possible, regardless of the competition. I will start worrying about whether we are beating teams at their best when my tongue is bleeding from biting down on so many rose stems.

So, my shameful little heart can't help but be excited by this news.
Wasn't that part of ASU's success last year: rarely having to face first string QB's? Seems to me there were 4-5 teams that played their backup against the gerbils.

Go Cats!!
Don't remember, which kind of ties into my point...such details tend to be lost in the sands of time. People remember wins, and championships especially.
Bruins01

Post by Bruins01 »

MrBug708 wrote:Sucks, but he's coming back next year now
Really, really doubt that.
History says, Don't hope
On this side of the grave,
But then, once in a lifetime
The longed-for tidal wave
Of justice can rise up
And hope and history rhyme.

Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

MrBug708 wrote:The biggest loss from the Jack injury was his ability to cover WRs in the slot.
This. He could stick with the Nate's and Samajie's even as a LB.. can't replace that kind of athleticism at the college level. But then again I don't really know Jayon Brown or Cameron Judge.. any insight on them Bug?
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Neither are Jack...lol

They both play inside, the coaches moved Jack back outside for the game last week. He wasn't playing to his strength inside. I think Orijoke and Wallace play in the outside
Bruins01

Post by Bruins01 »

btfd16 wrote:
MrBug708 wrote:The biggest loss from the Jack injury was his ability to cover WRs in the slot.
This. He could stick with the Nate's and Samajie's even as a LB.. can't replace that kind of athleticism at the college level. But then again I don't really know Jayon Brown or Cameron Judge.. any insight on them Bug?
Serviceable linebackers. Judge is bigger, more like Zumwalt. Brown is smaller, better suited for coverage. Myles Jack has Judge's size and more athleticism and ability in coverage than either of them. This is a serious loss, harder to absorb in my opinion than the loss of Vanderdoes.
History says, Don't hope
Of justice can rise up

TuiTouchdown

Post by TuiTouchdown »

Huge loss. I feel like we have to sit Scooby just to make this feel right.

Obviously, this'll make it a little easier for our offense to get going, but I really love watching Jack play.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

I think Wallace/ Orjioke Hollins/Judge play the outside and Young/Brown/Sava play the inside. Still good depth there. Arizona won't hit up the middle too much anyway. They will bounce weak side and attack c gaps.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Merkin wrote:Although Scooby seems less than questionable now.

This is sad news. Injuries havr been so tough, especially so early in the year
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
splitsecond

Post by splitsecond »

I don't feel bad for teams because of injuries, because frankly we all saw how you can, to a point, battle through those and win games with the next man last year right here in Arizona.

I do however, feel bad for the players. Jack is a once in a lifetime freak of an athlete who undoubtedly loves the game and wants to be out there. That's a terrible feeling, and I feel for the guy.

That being said, I am not going to let his absence lessen my enjoyment of the game. Truth is with our luck, some other random player will be the Myles Jack of this game and we will all be left wondering WTF just happened.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

Depth matters. BearDown.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

CJ's mom is quite good looking.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Merkin wrote:CJ's mom is quite good looking.
Glad you beat me to it. Don't want to be the only perv on the Internet.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Saint James

Post by Saint James »

Not only nice looking but also has a nice smile.

More importantly, does this mean Caleb will be playing? It sure seems that way.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Chicat wrote:
Merkin wrote:CJ's mom is quite good looking.
Glad you beat me to it. Don't want to be the only perv on the Internet.
1 out of 2 ain't bad.
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

Heavy movement on the line. Was +4.5 and is now +3. I saw Utah and Oregon started as a PK game and is now -11.5 for Oregon...
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Fuck this!
Cracking 1!

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

TyrantCat

Post by TyrantCat »

That Cayleb Jones tweet could be huge. If he's healthy and plays, well, he's gonna ball for his momma. That's probably worth two touchdowns.
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

chiefzona wrote:
RazorsEdgeAZ wrote:Herbstreit expects AZ game plan to load up against UCLA run game and force Rosen throw / make decisions

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=13720561
If that's the case, big trouble. I think Casteel plays it safe and goes half run and half blitzing package and then adjusts at halftime.

Maybe. Makes a little sense if not obvious. We know Perkins can run. We know Bruins OL solid. At this point on paper, Rosen is "untested". True Freshman, Playing HS ball this time last year, 1st road game, 1st PAC12 opponent and don't think Rosen has ever faced a 3-3-5 or 3-3-5 hybrid before. Sure lots of film on it, but there are real-time looks/reads from the 3-3-5 that takes adjusting to.

Have to try it, at this point you can argue Rosen is the weakest link on that offense. See if he shows confusion and learns by mistakes...
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

Noel Mazzone on facing Arizona

ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

More from the ESPN blog on RBs in week 4.
Get up for Gameday: College Gameday is in Tucson this week for the showdown between No. 9 UCLA and No. 16 Arizona. The Bruins are 5-1 in their last six games against ranked opponents, but Arizona is coming off a school record 77 points against NAU and a school-best 792 yards of offense.

Not to jinx them, but… Only two FBS quarterbacks have thrown 10 or more touchdowns without an interception. Both of them are in the Pac-12: Arizona’s Anu Solomon and USC’s Cody Kessler. USC travels to Arizona State and the Sun Devils have won the last two.

The last time ... Every Pac-12 team has at least two wins through the first three weeks of the season. That doesn’t happen all that often. In fact, it’s only happened two other times in the 100-year history of the league – 1919 and 1921. Come on, who doesn’t remember Wazzu’s season-opening win against Multnomah AC back in ‘19?

RB bonanza: The top four leading rushers in the Pac-12 are squaring off against each other in two separate games this week. Arizona’s Nick Wilson, who leads the Pac-12 with 144.7 yards per game, matches up with UCLA’s Paul Perkins, who is right behind with 143 yards per game. In Eugene, Oregon’s Royce Freeman (124.3) and Utah’s Devontae Booker (115) go head-to-head. Too early to start talking about All-League teams. But this could be a separation weekend in the first-team RB discussion.

More on the RBs: Some fun notes here from the ESPN Stats & Info group. Wilson has run between the tackles 81 percent of the time, while Perkins has been 50-50 on his inside-outside runs. When Wilson does bounce it to the outside, he’s averaging 11.9 yards per rush. Over the last two seasons, only Ohio State’s Ezekiel Elliott has more yards from scrimmage (2,451) than Booker (2,289) and Perkins (2,287) among active Power 5 players.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Shereen Rayan at Zona Zealots: Three Things We Hope the Bruins Don't Do
Targeting

If you remember correctly, Wildcat Jourdon Grandon was called for targeting a Bruin and expelled from the game. Upon review, the booth pretty much agreed that Grandon’s helmet hit the shoulder pad of the opposing offensive player, not the helmet. The call was not overturned and out went Grandon for the game.

Later in the matchup, Austin Hill was hit in the head with a Bruin helmet. Austin received a concussion from the hit and remained on the bench done for the night. You would think these fabulous consistent and on top of it referees would have called targeting on the Bruins, unfortunately, they did not. Upon review in the booth, it totally looked like a helmet to helmet hit.

Trash Talking and Fighting

In my opinion, there was way too much trash talking and trouble making on the Bruins defense. Every time you looked you saw some Bruin getting into the grill of one of our Wildcats trying to start something. After awhile, they were successful and seemed to get under our players skins.

If this type of behavior does ensue, I hope the Wildcats are more mature this year and just shake it off. They will have a stadium full of us Wildcats fans to support them so I do not think this will be a problem for Arizona, but you never know.

In 2011, in Arizona, a fan posing as a referee came onto the field and as soon as he approached one of the refs, he took off and started to take off his clothes.

The Streaker eventually met his fate, and while the referees were distracted with him, a fight broke out between the Wildcats and Bruin players on the field. Shaquille Richardson had just transferred from UCLA to Arizona, and apparently Taylor Embree of the Bruins hit him. You had to think there was some trash talking going on and multiple fights broke out.

The score was 42-7 at the half in favor of Arizona, the Bruins were extremely frustrated.

In 2012, the Bruins took out our quarterback Matt Scott in the first half, and the rest of the game was hell for Wildcats fans.

There have been lots of articles about Rosen, Perkins, and how Arizona matches up with ucla. But Rayan's article brings up something I haven't seen anyone else mention this week.

Arizona should be pissed and want to beat the crap out of the 'ruins!

The streaker and fight in 2011 was before either of these coaching staffs, but in the last 3 years we have had coaches and players in black face, targeting, and a lot of trash talking as ucla has pushed Arizona around.

It is time to push back!

I don't care about game day, injuries, or rankings. It is time for Arizona to crush the 'ruins like they were still coached by Neuheisel.

Score first, score often, and dare them to keep up. And when they have to turn to the Frozen one to try and keep up, put his ass on the ground or get the interception and go back and score again.

Bear Down and Beat the Bruins!
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

threenumberones

Post by threenumberones »

Great post Ang, I'm fired up!

And that fake ref was awesome..
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

ANGCatFan wrote: It is time to push back!

I don't care about game day, injuries, or rankings. It is time for Arizona to crush the 'ruins like they were still coached by Neuheisel.

Score first, score often, and dare them to keep up. And when they have to turn to the Frozen one to try and keep up, put his ass on the ground or get the interception and go back and score again.

Actually thought message AZ was giving with their "Avengers" hype vid. Liked that approach. time to right the past wrongs...
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Injury report out
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

What happened to Bradford?
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

ANGCatFan wrote:Shereen Rayan at Zona Zealots: Three Things We Hope the Bruins Don't Do
Targeting

Later in the matchup, Austin Hill was hit in the head with a Bruin helmet. Austin received a concussion from the hit and remained on the bench done for the night. You would think these fabulous consistent and on top of it referees would have called targeting on the Bruins, unfortunately, they did not. Upon review in the booth, it totally looked like a helmet to helmet hit.
If I'm recalling it correctly that's the hit where Hill was laid out on sideline flat on his back with his arms and legs twitching straight out and he was trying to get up, but he couldn't for several seconds. He got rocked. I thought he was going to be paralyzed. No call and the announcers didn't say a word while he was clearly convulsing on the ground.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Tweets saying concussion for Bradford
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

ANGCatFan wrote:Shereen Rayan at Zona Zealots: Three Things We Hope the Bruins Don't Do
Targeting

If you remember correctly, Wildcat Jourdon Grandon was called for targeting a Bruin and expelled from the game. Upon review, the booth pretty much agreed that Grandon’s helmet hit the shoulder pad of the opposing offensive player, not the helmet. The call was not overturned and out went Grandon for the game.

Trash Talking and Fighting

In my opinion, there was way too much trash talking and trouble making on the Bruins defense. Every time you looked you saw some Bruin getting into the grill of one of our Wildcats trying to start something. After awhile, they were successful and seemed to get under our players skins.

If this type of behavior does ensue, I hope the Wildcats are more mature this year and just shake it off. They will have a stadium full of us Wildcats fans to support them so I do not think this will be a problem for Arizona, but you never know.

In 2011, in Arizona, a fan posing as a referee came onto the field and as soon as he approached one of the refs, he took off and started to take off his clothes.

The Streaker eventually met his fate, and while the referees were distracted with him, a fight broke out between the Wildcats and Bruin players on the field. Shaquille Richardson had just transferred from UCLA to Arizona, and apparently Taylor Embree of the Bruins hit him. You had to think there was some trash talking going on and multiple fights broke out.

The score was 42-7 at the half in favor of Arizona, the Bruins were extremely frustrated.

In 2012, the Bruins took out our quarterback Matt Scott in the first half, and the rest of the game was hell for Wildcats fans.

There have been lots of articles about Rosen, Perkins, and how Arizona matches up with ucla. But Rayan's article brings up something I haven't seen anyone else mention this week.

Arizona should be pissed and want to beat the crap out of the 'ruins!

The streaker and fight in 2011 was before either of these coaching staffs, but in the last 3 years we have had coaches and players in black face, targeting, and a lot of trash talking as ucla has pushed Arizona around.

It is time to push back!

Ah Shereen, try to cry a little less
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

BearDown89 wrote:
Targeting

If I'm recalling it correctly that's the hit where Hill was laid out on sideline flat on his back with his arms and legs twitching straight out and he was trying to get up, but he couldn't for several seconds. He got rocked. I thought he was going to be paralyzed. No call and the announcers didn't say a word while he was clearly convulsing on the ground.
You are remembering the hit clearly, but it wasn't ucla or a illegal hit.
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

Merkin wrote:Injury report out
I hate to sound like Chief but there's absolutely nothing you can take from these reports. Bear Down Cats!! :D
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

MrBug708 wrote:
BearDown89 wrote:
Targeting

Okay. Because a penalty wasn't called? It sure as hell looked like it on the replay.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

dc4azcats wrote:
MrBug708 wrote:
BearDown89 wrote:
Targeting

Okay. Because a penalty wasn't called? It sure as hell looked like it on the replay.
Which play are you talking about? I have a feeling your response might be just a combative one
Bruins01

Post by Bruins01 »

dc4azcats wrote:
MrBug708 wrote:
BearDown89 wrote:
Targeting

It was a perfectly fine hit. Tahaan Goodman led with his shoulder, hit Hill in the shoulder (!!!) and the only reason Hill got hit in the head area was because he bobbled the pass and had to reach down to recover it. But the only thing Hill's head hit was the turf. Definitely can't call that targeting.

Here's a vine of it.

https://vine.co/v/OO13OFdIVuA

Also, you thought he was going to be paralyzed?? Come on, man, get a grip.
History says, Don't hope
Of justice can rise up

MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

BD89 was thinking of the Boyett. DC just rolled with something different
Last edited by MrBug708 on Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

Targeting does not mean head-to-head contact. That's a common misconception. The hit on Hill was textbook targeting. See 9-1-4 below:

Targeting and Initiating Contact With the Crown of the Helmet (Rule 9-1-3)

No player shall target and initiate contact against an opponent with the crown (top) of his helmet. When in question, it is a foul.

Targeting and Initiating Contact to Head or Neck Area of a Defenseless Player (Rule 9-1-4)

No player shall target and initiate contact to the head or neck area of a defenseless opponent with the helmet, forearm, fist, elbow or shoulder. When in question, it is a foul. (Rule 2-27-14)
Catstatic

Post by Catstatic »

That was a perfectly fine hit?! You're out of your mind. That was a bullshit blow directly to the head with your DB's shoulder that could have caused massive injuries. UCLA got away with tons of cheap shots and Arizona is the team that has a player kicked out. If the officials allow Arizona to get away with what the Ruins were allowed to do that day, you will see what we mean.

I cannot remember a game that pissed me off more, watching those punks get away with murder and hardly any flags being thrown. Perfectly fine hit ... Let's see if Arizona hits a defenseless Bruin receiver like that.

Go Cats!!
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Clearly not directly to the head...
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Jefe wrote:Clearly not directly to the head...

Looked like he was targeting shoulder to shoulder.
Saint James

Post by Saint James »

Looking at the vine, it appears to me the biggest problem occurs because Austin didn't catch the ball. He was defenseless when he reached for it.

As I remember, many of our receivers were dropping balls and then getting hit. The best remedy is to catch the damn ball.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

He would have been just as defenseless had he caught the ball. Had the defender gone lower or at least looked like he was trying to wrap up, then there's no foul. But when you are clearly going for the big hit like that... well, it's amazing that didn't get called.