2017 recruits/commitment thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Berkut

Re: 2017 recruits/commitment thread

Post by Berkut »

Arizona will not sustain success until they start getting their share of "not under recruited" talent.

You can talk all you want about diamonds in the rough, and guys who were unknown, and blahblahblah.

But Arizona will not have sustained success as a top-5 Pac-12 school until they have top-5 Pac-12 recruiting. Unless they start getting their share of the 4 and 5 star recruits, they aren't going to get their share of the championships.
TuiTouchdown

Post by TuiTouchdown »

Berkut wrote:Arizona will not sustain success until they start getting their share of "not under recruited" talent.

You can talk all you want about diamonds in the rough, and guys who were unknown, and blahblahblah.

But Arizona will not have sustained success as a top-5 Pac-12 school until they have top-5 Pac-12 recruiting. Unless they start getting their share of the 4 and 5 star recruits, they aren't going to get their share of the championships.
Honest question, how do you feel about our current recruits? If we can keep them all, of course.
Berkut

Post by Berkut »

TuiTouchdown wrote:
Berkut wrote:Arizona will not sustain success until they start getting their share of "not under recruited" talent.

Honest question, how do you feel about our current recruits? If we can keep them all, of course.
They look pretty great, but I don't pretend to be any kind of expert at evaluating talent in recruiting - I mostly go by what the recruiting experts say...and I don't mean fans.

When year after year I see the Cats recruiting in the bottom half of the conference in overall rating, I cannot be surprised when we cannot *consistently* break into the top half of the conference. Scheme only gets you so far.

The thing about the "2 star Scoobies" is that the schools that get a bunch of 4 star and a handful of 5t star recruits? They get to hit on a few 2 and 3 star recruits as well. It just doesn't look as obvious when they do, because their 2 stars that play like 4/5 stars are playing along other 4 and 5 stars. They tend to stick out at Arizona.

So hopefully 2017 is as good as it looks. But what will 2018 look like? Can we sustain it?
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

Craig Evans was a DT who left Michigan State after his freshman year.Evans had 21 tackles, 3.5 for lost yardage and a sack his freshman year at MSU (2015). A December graduate and here is an article on him.http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2016 ... nsas-agai/" target="_blank

Would love Arizona to get more involved with him.

The other JUCO DT I think Arizona should get involved with or more involved with is Malik Young. HUDL:http://www.hudl.com/profile/618221/malik-young-eac
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I think Amey has said they are full so unless we have a decommitt I doubt we add anyone. One would think with our play that very well might happen but I was told they were very real about this years team and they have been selling playing time in 17 so those guys should hang on as they could almost all start for this POS team right now.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Sid

Post by Sid »

azcat49 wrote:I think Amey has said they are full so unless we have a decommitt I doubt we add anyone. One would think with our play that very well might happen but I was told they were very real about this years team and they have been selling playing time in 17 so those guys should hang on as they could almost all start for this POS team right now.
This.

I'm struggling to think of one single position that won't be up for grabs next season? You can say QB & RB, but history shows us that both positions are prime for new blood to step in when the injury bug hits us....and the really sad thing is, that's usually very early on in the season.

Do you want to play early? Do you have the fortitude to come in eager to learn & play your balls off during practice? If the answer is yes, then Arizona is the perfect school for you!
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Newportcat wrote: Or look at Greg Johnson our best recruit in some time, off the charts SPARQ at way over 100

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/footb ... eg-johnson

but

catinfl

Post by catinfl »

Greg has always been upfront about visiting other schools
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

I know these might be dumb questions but I 'll ask anyways. Do kids who retire from football due to injury 1)get to keep their scholly and 2) count against our scholly count?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

UALoco wrote:I know these might be dumb questions but I 'll ask anyways. Do kids who retire from football due to injury 1)get to keep their scholly and 2) count against our scholly count?

Pretty sure they do keep their scholly, but it doesn't count. It gets transitioned to some sort of academic scholarship.

Not really sure if the AD funds those are not though or whether the school picks them up, but I imagine the AD does.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Man I hope we keep Johnson and pick up about....oh, I don't know.....maybe.....a dozen more. :D
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

azgreg wrote:Man I hope we keep Johnson and pick up about....oh, I don't know.....maybe.....a dozen more. :D
Well look at the bright side. Were 2-5 and Nebraska is 6-0.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

UA getting a visit from an offensive guard:

http://www.scout.com/college/football/r ... ore-visits" target="_blank

Interesting quote about UW recruiting him the hardest. Given the talent discrepancy between the UA and UW you would think that the UA staff would be working their butts off recruiting..............maybe that's part of our recruiting issues?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

dmjcat wrote:UA getting a visit from an offensive guard:

http://www.scout.com/college/football/r ... ore-visits" target="_blank

Interesting quote about UW recruiting him the hardest. Given the talent discrepancy between the UA and UW you would think that the UA staff would be working their butts off recruiting..............maybe that's part of our recruiting issues?

RichRod thinks so.

RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

Is the approach changing? Being modified?

"A few mistakes"? "more work pursuing highly-rated"?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

RazorsEdgeAZ wrote:
I'll believe it when I see it.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

azgreg wrote:
RazorsEdgeAZ wrote:
The first step in recovery is admitting you have a problem. I think we can put the "do stars count" debate and the term "OKG" to bed officially. Now I think the next big question is how much effort to put into "ATH" recruits that don't have a focus on a particular position...talk amongst yourselves..
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

azgreg wrote:
RazorsEdgeAZ wrote:
They can offer all the 5 stars they want. Getting them to accept is an entirely different matter.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

azgreg wrote:
RazorsEdgeAZ wrote:
Well then he and Matty D need to have a conversation... because they don't seem to be on the same page. Given that the Super Bowl teams followed AZ's "OKG" strategy" and all. LOL.

And based on where this roster is at, I would guess opposing coaches with the Cats on their schedule are thrilled UA has refused to pay attention to rankings. That winning strategy has (more often than not) helped put an automatic W on their record this season & last.
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

Merkin wrote:They can offer all the 5 stars they want. Getting them to accept is an entirely different matter.
For whatever reasons, RR doesn't have a track record at all of landing higher ranked recruits (1 exception) during his coaching career. Of course while at WV that was tough to draw them there and I think he's on record saying that so focused on the mid-major levels as their main targets (why chase a recruit when they're not serious in coming to WV. Ghost recruit). But even at Michigan. IT's MICHIGAN. His classes reverted to heavy 3 star recruits with very little 4 star or 5 stars.

I don't know if this his philosophy or high ranked recruits with NFL ambitions don't want to play in his schemes or a combination of the two. Recruits know full well RR has poor history of getting players drafted. Given his reputation for offense most of his Offense players drafted were lineman. RR just doesn't have a good resume for getting players drafted. I find it ironic the two players RR has had drafted that he recruited (not inherited) are on the defensive side of the ball. It's early for recruits and being drafted but consistent with his resume.

The best WV recruiting class RR had was 2007 ranked 25th. Next best 41st (Arizona-ish).

Now Michigan I give RR credit for three recruiting classes at Michigan. 2008 class already done when he took job. 2011 class done when he was fired. At Michigan, RR had his best ever ranked class. Finished 10th. Class had 11 4-stars and 10 3-stars. Actually pretty indicative of Michigan classes going all the way back to 2001 with Rivals/Scout/247 tracking databases. THEN, 2010 and 2011 where the classes go back to heavy heavy 3-star recruits (for Michigan). In fact, RR's 2010 Michigan class nearly doubles the number of 3-stars that Michigan has had dating back to 2001 online tracking. Before that, Michigan never had more than 12 3-star recruits in a class. 2011 class goes up to 22 3-stars. For whatever reasons (philosophy, schemes, recruits not wanting) at Michigan RR's last two classes are heavy 3-star recruits (tweeners?)

2009 10th (10 3 star recruits)
2010 17th (21 3 star recruits)
2011 25th (22 3 star recruits)

I'm guessing it has bee a combination of reasons with landing top ranked recruits. Michigan is odd though. Taking RR's recruiting class ranks over the years (even with Michigan factored in) his average class rank is 38th.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

RR has been success in recruiting heavily on 3 star recruit with less 4 & 5 stars. Some succeed with good result and some succeed with bad result. Razor I think 0meant 08 to 10 RR Michigan recruiting class. In 08 he recruited (6) 3 stars, In 09 (6) 3 stars, In 10 (20) 3 stars. Know I don't know if that the right info if you want to take a look:http://www.annarbor.com/sports/um-footb ... g-classes/
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

cordera89 wrote:RR has been success in recruiting heavily on 3 star recruit with less 4 & 5 stars. Some succeed with good result and some succeed with bad result. Razor I think 0meant 08 to 10 RR Michigan recruiting class. In 08 he recruited (6) 3 stars, In 09 (6) 3 stars, In 10 (20) 3 stars. Know I don't know if that the right info if you want to take a look:http://www.annarbor.com/sports/um-footb ... g-classes/
Thanks. I didn't give RR credit for 2008 Michigan recruiting class. 2008 signing day was Feb 5th 2008 (I think). RR didn't get introduced at Michigan until Dec 17th 2007. I did give RR credit for the Mich 2011 class which signing date was Feb 1st 2011. RR got fired Jan 5th 2011
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Merkin wrote:
azgreg wrote:
RazorsEdgeAZ wrote:
They can offer all the 5 stars they want. Getting them to accept is an entirely different matter.
And yet RRod and company have just offered another 2 Star lineman with an offer list full of Mountain West Conference teams:

https://arizona.rivals.com/news/new-off ... zona-offer" target="_blank

Despite all of the talk about changing his ways RRod has thus far stubbornly stuck to his Modus Operandi. By the time the season started we had already offered and received commitments from over 20 recruits. Aside from a few 4 star players the rest are 2 star athletes and a significant number of 3 star recruits with an offer list comprised mainly of the Colorado States, UNLV's and Nevadas of the MWC. Its difficult to get inside RRods head but it appears to me that he offers a lot of lower ranking players with unimpressive offer lists because he knows that they will commit..................Bottom line it appears to me that RRod just doesn't like recruiting and everything that goes with it (sucking up to 17 year old kids). It would also explain RRods love of walk-ons...........he doesn't have to recruit them and the walk ons suck up to him. If RRod is really serious I would expect to see the following for next years recruiting class:

1) No offers to 2 star recruits until 1 month before national signing date (in the event that he craps out on more highly rated players and needs to fill out the class)
2) No offers to 3 star players unless they have at least 2 offers from other Power 5 conference teams
3) Drop the entire walk-on program. Our time would be better spent evaluating and recruiting real football players. If RRod feels that he has to fill his roster with walk ons then Byrne needs to find another head football coach, and quick.

I certainly don't expect RRod to start signing 5 star players (or any AZ Fball coach for that matter) but I do expect that we should NOT be competing with the freaking Mountain West Conference for recruits. While the UA will never out-recruit the USC's and UCLA's of the world there is no reason that we can't at least be competitive against the asu's/colorado/utah/wsu/oregon states of the world.

If we continue to recruit MWC players we will continue to get MWC results.........unfortunately we are playing PAC12 teams.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

dmjcat wrote:
Merkin wrote:
azgreg wrote:
RazorsEdgeAZ wrote:
And yet RRod and company have just offered another 2 Star lineman with an offer list full of Mountain West Conference teams:

Despite all of the talk about changing his ways RRod has thus far stubbornly stuck to his Modus Operandi. By the time the season started we had already offered and received commitments from over 20 recruits. Aside from a few 4 star players the rest are 2 star athletes and a significant number of 3 star recruits with an offer list comprised mainly of the Colorado States, UNLV's and Nevadas of the MWC. Its difficult to get inside RRods head but it appears to me that he offers a lot of lower ranking players with unimpressive offer lists because he knows that they will commit..................Bottom line it appears to me that RRod just doesn't like recruiting and everything that goes with it (sucking up to 17 year old kids). It would also explain RRods love of walk-ons...........he doesn't have to recruit them and the walk ons suck up to him. If RRod is really serious I would expect to see the following for next years recruiting class:

1) No offers to 2 star recruits until 1 month before national signing date (in the event that he craps out on more highly rated players and needs to fill out the class)
2) No offers to 3 star players unless they have at least 2 offers from other Power 5 conference teams
3) Drop the entire walk-on program. Our time would be better spent evaluating and recruiting real football players. If RRod feels that he has to fill his roster with walk ons then Byrne needs to find another head football coach, and quick.

I certainly don't expect RRod to start signing 5 star players (or any AZ Fball coach for that matter) but I do expect that we should NOT be competing with the freaking Mountain West Conference for recruits. While the UA will never out-recruit the USC's and UCLA's of the world there is no reason that we can't at least be competitive against the asu's/colorado/utah/wsu/oregon states of the world.

If we continue to recruit MWC players we will continue to get MWC results.........unfortunately we are playing PAC12 teams.
Is it really that important of what type of prospects he been recruiting. I wouldn't event bother to open the lion den on this. But if you look how he recruited at WVU it mostly the same way he been doing here at Arizona. He doesn't need to stop with early commit and bringing in walk on at this point. I don't think byrne would make a change for another HC. He still believe that RR can get the job done.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

dmjcat wrote:
Merkin wrote:
azgreg wrote:
RazorsEdgeAZ wrote:

I see what you're getting at, and in large part I agree, but I'm puzzled by the "drop the entire walk-on program" bullet point. They don't take up scholarships, and they're essential for game prep, practices, and to fill in during emergency situations due to injury. When people complain about walk-ons starting on our DL, it's not that they don't have scholarships and that's somehow a problem. It's that the staff misevaluated so badly on the starred guys they recruited and gave schollies to. If a kid with no offers or very few is beating out some other kid who had multiple offers and was given a D1 scholarship, your evaluation process of the kid with the scholarship is the problem. Not the kid trying to earn one.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

It's coachspeak (when have they ever said recruiting was not going well?) but I hope they are right.
Sid

Post by Sid »

I'm hopeful a few diamonds come out of this class. Oh, that OT loss in our crib to the now #4 team in the country is actually a win with a healthy JJ MOTHERFUCKING TAYLOR.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Greg Johnson was at the USC game yesterday
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

MrBug708 wrote:Greg Johnson was at the USC game yesterday
And this is saying What exactly? Ok he went to USC game and saw them win big, He probably watch our historic beat down at Wazzu and we were embarrassed. And he probably hearing some rumor that RR wont be the coach next season jeez image how that must feel.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I thought RichRod didn't want recruits who continue to take official visits after they commit?

Or is that just for MWC level players?
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

Merkin wrote:I thought RichRod didn't want recruits who continue to take official visits after they commit?

Did all the top prospect took Arizona serious or Did Arizona took them seriously. No matter what RR does he wont get all the top prospects to Arizona.
MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

cordera89 wrote:
Merkin wrote:I thought RichRod didn't want recruits who continue to take official visits after they commit?

Did all the top prospect took Arizona serious or Did Arizona took them seriously. No matter what RR does he wont get all the top prospects to Arizona.
"TOOK?"
No Bandwagon Here! Always a Cat!
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

We just lost one of our DT commits.......Elijah Watson.

http://www.azdesertswarm.com/recruiting ... commitment" target="_blank

Either the staff dropped him or he decommitted............depending on who you believe
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

The good news is that helps our average star's for this class. I believe he was are lowest rated recruit coming in and someone who would be labeled and OKG, which I think is safe to say is a bad thing to be at this point. If he gets replaced with an EKG (Everyone's Kind of Guy) instead of an OKG, that is a plus.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Staff cut ties with him. They think one of the ends they recruited could move inside and they then recruit another end or if they get lucky and get a top flight tackle (unlikely).

Either way they are seeing it as a plus for whatever reason (s)
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

cordera89 wrote:
MrBug708 wrote:Greg Johnson was at the USC game yesterday
And this is saying What exactly? Ok he went to USC game and saw them win big, He probably watch our historic beat down at Wazzu and we were embarrassed. And he probably hearing some rumor that RR wont be the coach next season jeez image how that must feel.
Probably not any worse than the prospect of coming to a school who is about to go winless in conference...

With Byrne's announcement that RR's job is safe, that should make the class solidly in tact, right?
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Our other 2 Star DT commit has just received an offer from Washington State

http://www.azdesertswarm.com/recruiting ... redictions" target="_blank
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

Arizona is going to go on the road after the ASU game to stop the bleeding. I think they will do fine and pick up a couple good kids. Hopefully Graham, Lewis, or Thomas will come, but it's not a given with kids that high of caliber. Arizona has playing time to sell and recruiters who are vey involved. I'm excited to see how they end the class because they have quite a few spots open with a lot of kids coming early. If i did my math correctly they could add up to 8 more kids.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

From the AZ Daily Star:

Quick hitters from the Arizona Wildcats’ post-practice media availability Wednesday morning:

* With two games left and no bowl berth, much of the talk focused on recruiting and what’s in store for next season. Given the desire for a quick turnaround, UA coach Rich Rodriguez was asked whether he’d pursue more junior-college and graduate transfers than usual. “You don’t want to get too many because you’ve got to build your program,” he said. “But we need some grown men.”

* Rodriguez said he and his staff will take advantage of their time off in December to focus on recruiting. "We play Friday night,” he said of the season finale vs. Arizona State. “Saturday morning, we’ll all be on the road hitting it hard."

* Rodriguez views linebacker as Arizona's thinnest position and the one that's most in need of reinforcements. The Wildcats lose several seniors at the “Mike” and “Will” positions.

* Rodriguez praised one of them, grad transfer Michael Barton, for his leadership during tough times. We’ll have more on Barton – and fellow Cal transfer Freddie Tagaloa – later this week.

* Rodriguez on the senior class as a whole: "They’ve given a lot to our program. They’ve won three bowl games. It’s been a great class - everything that you’d want, on the field, off the field, leadership."

* Rodriguez expects more newcomers in next year's recruiting class to play early “than probably any time since I’ve been here.” That doesn’t necessarily mean they’ll start.

* One of the big keys for Arizona at Oregon State on Saturday: Get off to a good start. It would boost the Wildcats’ confidence and keep guys engaged. It’s been hard to maintain confidence amid the UA’s seven-game losing streak.

* Rodriguez said Oregon State uses a lot of spread principles on offense, including jet sweeps and motions, "to get you off-balance defensively." That sort of sideline-to-sideline action will test the Arizona defense, which has had issues tackling in space.

* Rodriguez said the Beavers’ defense mixes odd and even fronts and is "very pressure oriented; (they) love to blitz, especially in obvious pass situations." Arizona hasn’t handled blitzes particularly well this season.

* Rodriguez won’t wait until the end of the season to evaluate the program. "Trust me," he said. "I’ve gone through it a hundred times a day."
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

AZ recruiting AZ Western LB:

http://www.azdesertswarm.com/recruiting ... ng-tackler" target="_blank
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

CFHS led by RRs and Michalcziks' kids just snapped off Gilbert Higley to go to the state championship.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

CFHS is a total egghead school. It's all college prep, there's no D's, if one drops below a C, you fail.

The only reason there's a FB team is to give the marching band a platform to perform.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

RazorsEdgeAZ wrote:Is the approach changing? Being modified?

Dudek should have been fired a long time ago.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Haha and he should have given the job to you right? Such a load of sh#t. No doubt the talent level is pathetic but man I can't think of anything much lower than a parasite. Dude, you are eating off the body now that it is decaying. Fly higher brother. If you are that good, go find a job at another D-1 school
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

azcat49 wrote:Haha and he should have given the job to you right? Such a load of sh#t. No doubt the talent level is pathetic but man I can't think of anything much lower than a parasite. Dude, you are eating off the body now that it is decaying. Fly higher brother. If you are that good, go find a job at another D-1 school

Not my bag. I know nothing about football. I'm retired from it. I just enjoy watching it. Too bad Arizona lost it's football program. There's still a lot of CFB to watch though. Hello to you AZcat49 and Happy Thanksgiving.
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

chiefzona wrote:

LOL it's not like Dudek makes the end decisions just goes after the guys the coaches want. Dude is a great recruiter and so is Singletary.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

catinfl wrote:
chiefzona wrote:

LOL it's not like Dudek makes the end decisions just goes after the guys the coaches want. Dude is a great recruiter and so is Singletary.
I agree with AzCat49 that Dudek is not the guy evaluating and making offers... but how you can look at recruiting for this program over the past 5 years and say the Recruiting Coordinator is a 'great recruiter' is... an awful lot of artistic license.

We have offered plenty of highly rated guys over the years and don't make shit for headway with them. The true believers on this board eat up his shtick... but I expect it is popular with some and not well received by others. I follow him on Twitter and he talks a lot of shit... some of it seems pretty ill-advised (and not just about football). Although he has toned down the bravado a bit with this recent slide.

It seems a disproportionate number of the guys we actually sign have no other BCS Conf offers. Pretty sure most people with a pulse and a pen could get them to sign.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I have been intrigued with RR 's latest diatribe where he talks about the future and how great it will be when we win a chsmpionship.

He says he has been around a long time and he knows this by what he see's in practice and what he has coming recruit wise.

I look at the roster and I see decent safeties, poor cornrrs, no LB's, no DLINE talent. On offense I see a pretty average OLINE with little depth, a decent stable of RB'S and QB's. Not much at wide out and special teams are a joke.

I just don't see what he is shoveling. I get that Dudek bought it hook line and sinker. Heck, we all did.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

azcat49 wrote:I have been intrigued with RR 's latest diatribe where he talks about the future and how great it will be when we win a chsmpionship.

He says he has been around a long time and he knows this by what he see's in practice and what he has coming recruit wise.

I look at the roster and I see decent safeties, poor cornrrs, no LB's, no DLINE talent. On offense I see a pretty average OLINE with little depth, a decent stable of RB'S and QB's. Not much at wide out and special teams are a joke.

I just don't see what he is shoveling. I get that Dudek bought it hook line and sinker. Heck, we all did.
On the first part in bold... I have not been paying attention, but it sounds like a guy trying to keep the vultures from circling. I am impressed that he can say that with a straight face. I haven't seen practices but I've seen the results of 11 games, and the previous 3 classes that look an awful lot like this one. (One was markedly better on paper)

Dudek doesn't need a shovel - he serves up plenty of his own shit.... look at some of his tweets in this thread.

You really think RR advised him to post "The Master & Student" tweet referring to Butch Jones during the Kahlil McKenzie recruitment? There are plenty of examples.

Our shitty class falls on RR more than him, but he is a great recruiter in the eyes of this board only - because he seems to be a very funny dude that talks a lot of shit and die-hards eat that up.