Coach Sumlin

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

CalStateTempe

Re: Coach Sumlin

Post by CalStateTempe »

Merkin wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:You mean like by hiring young cheap hungry up and comers instead of retreads?

Inject that line of thought squarely into my veins.
That has worked with the basketball program. Hire a head coach from a smaller school who has never been fired.

Used to work with the football program too, with Larry Smith (Tulane) and Dick Tomey (Hawaii).

No more retreads, no more coordinators without head coaching experience.
Yes, that was my problem with stoops. Great coordinator but just couldn’t make the jump to running a program.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

PHXCATS wrote:There is no reason besides fan support that we cannot win the conference
Wait, are you . . . Ha! You are!

You’re blaming the fans for losing!!!!! :lol:

Irony just got dysentery and shit itself to death. Nice work Machina.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

I know we can't fire Sumlin, but I want him gone. It sounds like he's changing nothing from this disaster of a season and seems to blame the players more than the coaches including himself? WTF

Maybe if attendance drops even more next year we can move this along faster.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

AZCatGirl wrote:I know we can't fire Sumlin, but I want him gone. It sounds like he's changing nothing from this disaster of a season and seems to blame the players more than the coaches including himself? WTF

Outside of a like 1-11 season next year combined with some kind of scandal, Sumlin is here until November/December 2020 guaranteed.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

AZCatGirl wrote:I know we can't fire Sumlin, but I want him gone. It sounds like he's changing nothing from this disaster of a season and seems to blame the players more than the coaches including himself? WTF

I have been told by our "fans" that they arent showing up ever again. So write that off now.

Oh well. We wont have money for the buyouts if needed and we wont be able to afford the best coordinators and coaches because of it. But I will just look at the positives of it. Shorter lines for me next year!
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Looks like the ASSU model won out. I would retain Sumlin but I would love to see two new coordinators for next year. Not going to happen but watch when ASSU has a dismal season and see how fast those guys get jettisoned by Herm
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Chicat wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:There is no reason besides fan support that we cannot win the conference
Wait, are you . . . Ha! You are!

You’re blaming the fans for losing!!!!! :lol:

Irony just got dysentery and shit itself to death. Nice work Machina.
if only humor was his intent
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

PHXCATS wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:We really need to stop thinking of UofA football as a power five team and start running it like a high profile mid major.

Should have started this line of thinking like 8-9 years ago.

Fans have certainly been acting that way for years now

Sorry but this is a terrible take. There is no reason besides fan support that we cannot win the conference
Outside of the fact our facilities have been terrible and now are only average and on par with everyone else, the state of Arizona does not produce much talent, the talent the state does produce traditionally wants to leave the state or go to ASU, we have zero tradition or any history of note, the very little history we do have was before any current recruit was born, our weather sucks big fat donkey balls for football season, we are viewed as a basketball school, we are a basketball school which if you look at Kansas, Kentucky, UNC, or Duke means really tough to succeed at football and basketball, vast majority of major donors would rather donate to other sports, we play in a division of 6 teams where two of them (USC and UCLA) have and will always recruit better then us every single season and its extremely rare where both of them are struggling at the same time, We play in a conference where 3 teams have and will always recruit better then us (Oregon, UW, and Stanford), we have to go into SoCal or Texas for most of our players so we are always playing second fiddle to traditional blue blood programs....but you are right outside of bad fans there is no reason Arizona cannot win the conference.

I mean the fans have been the problem since 1941 when we last won an outright conference title
Last edited by Newportcat on Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Newportcat wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:We really need to stop thinking of UofA football as a power five team and start running it like a high profile mid major.

Sorry but this is a terrible take. There is no reason besides fan support that we cannot win the conference
Outside of the fact our facilities have been terrible and now are only average and on par with everyone else, the state of Arizona does not produce much talent, the talent the state does produce traditionally wants to leave the state or go to ASU, we have zero tradition or any history of note, the very little history we do have was before any current recruit was born, our weather sucks big fat donkey balls for football season, we are viewed as a basketball school, we are a basketball school which if you look at Kansas, Kentucky, UNC, or Duke means really tough to succeed at football and basketball, vast majority of major donors would rather donate to other sports, we play in a division of 6 teams where two of them (USC and UCLA) have and will always recruit better then us every single season and its extremely rare where both of them are struggling at the same time, We play in a conference where 3 teams have and will always recruit better then us (Oregon, UW, and Stanford), we have to go into SoCal or Texas for most of our players so we are always playing second fiddle to traditional blue blood programs....but you are right outside of bad fans there is no reason Arizona cannot win the conference.

I mean the fans have been the problem since 1941 when we last one an outright conference title
Lotta talk for someone who isnt a fan anymore

All you said is true, we have issues beyond fan support. But fan support is needed to buy out coaches and get the best new coaches in. Why could we not bring in the Texas Tech guy, money. How do fans support the team, money.

And all those facts you mentions are true but still look how close the Cats were in 2009 and 2014. Might not be able to be USC or Washington and compete every year but once every few the Cats can if we spend the money on the product and in order to do that fans need to donate and show up.
KillerKlown

Post by KillerKlown »

PHXCATS wrote:
Newportcat wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:

I mean the fans have been the problem since 1941 when we last one an outright conference title

All you said is true, we have issues beyond fan support. But fan support is needed to buy out coaches and get the best new coaches in. Why could we not bring in the Texas Tech guy, money. How do fans support the team, money.

And all those facts you mentions are true but still look how close the Cats were in 2009 and 2014. Might not be able to be USC or Washington and compete every year but once every few the Cats can if we spend the money on the product and in order to do that fans need to donate and show up.
Arizona can have sellout crowds for a decade and we'll still never be able to out money bag U$C. If im TT guy I'm going to U$C on name recognition alone. He'll be a head coach again in college after next season.
Mike Luke's burner account.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

UA is a graveyard job for head coaches. How many head coaches who were fired ever found another head coaching job? RichRod can't even get an interview.

Tomey did end up at SJSU but that's about it. Sumlin will take 6 figures from aTm and 6 figures from the UA and never have to work again.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Merkin wrote:UA is a graveyard job for head coaches. How many head coaches who were fired ever found another head coaching job? RichRod can't even get an interview.

Tomey did end up at SJSU but that's about it. Sumlin will take 6 figures from aTm and 6 figures from the UA and never have to work again.
By the time he leaves Arizona Sumlin will be 56-57 years old. He may find some other job for a while after that but yeah he's set.

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

PHXCATS wrote:Lotta talk for someone who isnt a fan anymore
Lotta talk for someone who slandered Sean Miller.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

PHXCATS wrote:
Newportcat wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:

My utter dislike of you and everything you write makes me write these posts back to show how utterly wrong you are. "issue beyond fan support"...yep just small issues that have not allowed us to win an outright conference title since 1941.

Even if Fans show up, that does not mean we have that much more money. Our average ticket sales are pretty low and would stay low as Tucson is not exactly LA. The University already sells out most of the Club Seats and Luxury boxes. Getting 10,000 more average fans paying on average of $25 more per ticket per game with say $25 per game in other crap is only $3M a year in revenues assuming 6 home games. That is 3-4% of our annual athletic budget. Would help but not moving mountains at all. We immediately go to pay off debt or add debt to improve our stadium.

And we were not close in 2009 or 2014. We thought we were but in reality we were very far away. Look at 2009, Nebraska WAXED us in the Holiday Bowl. In 2014 Oregon WAXED us in the PAC 12 Championship game. Those games showed we were really not close to being a Conference Champion or even a great team. Great teams don't get destroyed in games.

Spending money alone will not also change the fact we have awful football weather. Who the fuck wants to practice for football in July or August or September in Arizona? Who wants to tailgate? Who wants to go to a game during the day until November in Arizona? Indoor facility will help but Lowell Stevens was supposed to help and really did not do much recruiting wise. Indoor has not really helped ASU much.

In College athletics, the game is not far. Its not pro's where one team can either outspend another or one team can suck and then get the first draft pick. There are structural issues at play way larger then attendance or fan support which affects our football team. Those structural issues are never going away.

Getting a young and up and coming coach with everything to gain is the only shot we have to ever put a good team out there because they could potentially just outwork other coaches. A Coach like Larry Smith. But in the end that coach will just leave anyways eventually because Arizona is a very difficult job to recruit too. In college athletics, you should always move on to jobs that are easier to recruit to because as Pete Carroll once said, college sports are recruiting, recruiting, recruiting.

But for the love of God Arizona should never hire a coach who has been fired before again or unwanted at their former employer. That should always be the first rule when hiring a coach, is their former employeer glad they are not coaching there. As I have said before, Iowa fans are STILL pissed Lute left in 1983. There is not a single A&M fan who wants Sumlin back or single UM fan who wants Rich Rod back.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

ASUHATER! wrote:
Merkin wrote:UA is a graveyard job for head coaches. How many head coaches who were fired ever found another head coaching job? RichRod can't even get an interview.

By the time he leaves Arizona Sumlin will be 56-57 years old. He may find some other job for a while after that but yeah he's set.
I think he does announcing counting all his money and joking how he turned 2-3 good seasons of football head coaching into roughly $50M of cash

Johnny Manziel made someone rich at least...just not himself
HaCats

Post by HaCats »

Hey Newport, if we have those mountains of obstacles in our way (all of which are completely true)....then shouldn’t we realistically give a new coach more than one season before we run him out of town? I was in the stadium on Saturday, had tears in my eyes when it ended...and couldn’t even speak for about 20 minutes. I care too much about Arizona football, and could not have been more angry and more upset at the colossal choke job by our coaches and our players. But this board is like politics in this day and age....takes and opinions have to be one extreme or the other, and there are very few capable of critical thought and looking at things objectively or on a case by case basis.

Sumlin May turn out to be an abject failure. But I need to see more than one season with a banged up qb and none of his own recruits before I just deduce that ‘Sumlin sucks’, and should be fired. I totally get that losing to our despised rival in that way, made us all embarrassed and angry. Sumlin now has to earn some faith back that was blindly given to him after his hire. Smith and Tomey didn’t start out lighting the world on fire. Let’s hope he knows what he’s doing.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

HaCats wrote:Hey Newport, if we have those mountains of obstacles in our way (all of which are completely true)....then shouldn’t we realistically give a new coach more than one season before we run him out of town? I was in the stadium on Saturday, had tears in my eyes when it ended...and couldn’t even speak for about 20 minutes. I care too much about Arizona football, and could not have been more angry and more upset at the colossal choke job by our coaches and our players. But this board is like politics in this day and age....takes and opinions have to be one extreme or the other, and there are very few capable of critical thought and looking at things objectively or on a case by case basis.

Sumlin May turn out to be an abject failure. But I need to see more than one season with a banged up qb and none of his own recruits before I just deduce that ‘Sumlin sucks’, and should be fired. I totally get that losing to our despised rival in that way, made us all embarrassed and angry. Sumlin now has to earn some faith back that was blindly given to him after his hire. Smith and Tomey didn’t start out lighting the world on fire. Let’s hope he knows what he’s doing.
Not to talk poorly on you as I can appreciate your passion for Arizona football, but if you were thinking objectively you would not have been that upset about our loss. It was par for the course for Arizona. In fact you would never get upset at Arizona losing any game as you would realize the current team was poorly recruited without much talent on its current roster as it has been for the past 20 years. Until we dramatically improve recruiting, it is not realistic to think we will be a successful program as there has been a proven strong correlation between recruiting success and on-field success.

It is perfectly fine to think differently say with our basketball program or softball program but not Football. One of the things that has always kept me coming back to talk with Arizona fans about football is the lack of objectiviness some fans use when thinking about Arizona football. I candidly find it fascinating. I have gotten into endless arguments with fans over the years for it (I was literally banned from UAsports.net for being negative on Arizona football) and my negative take on Arizona football are always right in the end because again to me, facts have proven that successful programs have strong coaches and lots of Talent. Successful teams have lots of talent on them. The way to get lots of talent is to recruiting talented players. Until we recruit talented player, fruitless to ever think Arizona will ever be anything of note. This is why Arizona has not won an outright conference title since 1941.
And its a very unrealistic strategy to think we will ever recruit talented players based on the facts at hand. Now I would feel differently if we were in the MWC as we could get better recruits then New Mexico, but we are never going to out-recruit half of the PAC 12. In Basketball and sports like Softball, Baseball etc we recruit top classes so realistic to think we can be conference champions. Football its impossible because of structural issues.

What I would ask of you, thinking objectively, present the case for why Sumlin will succeed at Arizona based on historical and current information. or why realistically why we could recruit top 20 classes.
HaCats

Post by HaCats »

I was raised by die hard UofA fans/alums with generations of family roots in Tucson. Was raised in Phoenix, and was raised to despise asu. I am now 40, and have been going to games in Arizona Stadium since I was a toddler. I did not move to Tucson as a college freshman from Southern California, just conveniently riding the coattails of our basketball program. Arizona football is a lifelong religion for me. And equally religious is hating asu. And that is why I had tears in my eyes....because it physically hurts me to lose to those motherfuckers, regardless of our record/their record. Had nothing to do with my expectations of this roster. So I say no offense to you, but a transplant like you and so many others who lived in this state for 4 years and then bolted again....can never understand.
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

Tucson native here...but agree with Newport. I used to live and die by UA bb and fb. The passion is just mostly gone now unfortunately.
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
blackjacker

Post by blackjacker »

Sumlin was on thin ice with the fans before he blew the ASU game. Going into this season, we had some bright spots on defense and a QB that was in the Heisman conversation. Tate was making the nation take notice of our little program and that can't hurt recruiting.

Even when healthy, he ran but a fraction as much as he did last year. Want him to pass more? fine, but they had him passing almost exclusively.

The buck stops with the coach, and he took the one thing that had created the most excitement in this program in years, and he ruined it.

I don't think fans are sympathetic to the idea that we should wait and see what he can do with "his guys." He should have tailored his program to the superstar he had and I don't know that he can get the fans back after fucking that up.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Newportcat wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
Newportcat wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:

My utter dislike of you and everything you write makes me write these posts back to show how utterly wrong you are. "issue beyond fan support"...yep just small issues that have not allowed us to win an outright conference title since 1941.

Even if Fans show up, that does not mean we have that much more money. Our average ticket sales are pretty low and would stay low as Tucson is not exactly LA. The University already sells out most of the Club Seats and Luxury boxes. Getting 10,000 more average fans paying on average of $25 more per ticket per game with say $25 per game in other crap is only $3M a year in revenues assuming 6 home games. That is 3-4% of our annual athletic budget. Would help but not moving mountains at all. We immediately go to pay off debt or add debt to improve our stadium.

And we were not close in 2009 or 2014. We thought we were but in reality we were very far away. Look at 2009, Nebraska WAXED us in the Holiday Bowl. In 2014 Oregon WAXED us in the PAC 12 Championship game. Those games showed we were really not close to being a Conference Champion or even a great team. Great teams don't get destroyed in games.

Spending money alone will not also change the fact we have awful football weather. Who the fuck wants to practice for football in July or August or September in Arizona? Who wants to tailgate? Who wants to go to a game during the day until November in Arizona? Indoor facility will help but Lowell Stevens was supposed to help and really did not do much recruiting wise. Indoor has not really helped ASU much.

In College athletics, the game is not far. Its not pro's where one team can either outspend another or one team can suck and then get the first draft pick. There are structural issues at play way larger then attendance or fan support which affects our football team. Those structural issues are never going away.

Getting a young and up and coming coach with everything to gain is the only shot we have to ever put a good team out there because they could potentially just outwork other coaches. A Coach like Larry Smith. But in the end that coach will just leave anyways eventually because Arizona is a very difficult job to recruit too. In college athletics, you should always move on to jobs that are easier to recruit to because as Pete Carroll once said, college sports are recruiting, recruiting, recruiting.

But for the love of God Arizona should never hire a coach who has been fired before again or unwanted at their former employer. That should always be the first rule when hiring a coach, is their former employeer glad they are not coaching there. As I have said before, Iowa fans are STILL pissed Lute left in 1983. There is not a single A&M fan who wants Sumlin back or single UM fan who wants Rich Rod back.
Cool bro.

2009 UA had three crazy losses. Any one of those go different UA goes to the rose bowl. Need reminders? The Foles double pass vs Cal. The bullshit Washington game when the "ball bounced off the toe" and the Oregon double OT game. I would say that is close to a Rose Bowl no?
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

We did have three crazy losses because welcome to arizona football. But the Nebraska game proved that team was not that good. Nebraska absolutely took us to the woodshed and we had no business even thinking we were good enough for a rose bowl
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

HaCats wrote:I was raised by die hard UofA fans/alums with generations of family roots in Tucson. Was raised in Phoenix, and was raised to despise asu. I am now 40, and have been going to games in Arizona Stadium since I was a toddler. I did not move to Tucson as a college freshman from Southern California, just conveniently riding the coattails of our basketball program. Arizona football is a lifelong religion for me. And equally religious is hating asu. And that is why I had tears in my eyes....because it physically hurts me to lose to those motherfuckers, regardless of our record/their record. Had nothing to do with my expectations of this roster. So I say no offense to you, but a transplant like you and so many others who lived in this state for 4 years and then bolted again....can never understand.
Hacats I don’t know you but if you want to think objectively or live in reality you should definitely not make assumptions. Assumptions are the exact opposite of being objective. Sure I might not have grown up in Arizona but my Tucson blood is far deeper then yours or anyone here. My connections to the U of A are deeper then anyone here. My family has done more for the U of A then any family out there. I have never brought it up before ever but no one has ever been dumb enough to call me out for being from SoCal and going to U of A as if that somehow makes me so different. Making assumptions about people is stupid.

That all being said if Arizona football is your religion, maybe be objective and see it’s full of shit. Bunch of lies and made up shit. How someone can be so passionate about Arizona football to call it a religion is beyond me. What have they ever done to make you passionate about it? I guess I never understood scientologists either

I do find it hilarious you did try and lecture us on being objective or living in reality

But I would ask you again

thinking objectively, present the case for why Sumlin will succeed at Arizona based on historical and current information. or why realistically why we could recruit top 20 classes.
HaCats

Post by HaCats »

You scold me for making assumptions and then tell me your connections are deeper to Tucson and your family has done more for the UofA then me or anyone else....when you din’t Know me?? Jesus do you come off as a pretentious Orange County douchebag.

My point about being objective was strictly to hold the breaks on the ‘Sumlin sucks’ and ‘fire Sumlin’ after every loss in Year 1. Do I have empirical evidence that he’ll succeed? Of course not. Just as you have none that he won’t. And of course with all the our programs obstacles that you so thoughtfully pointed out, the chances of him not being overly successful are greater than him having huge success. And guess what....that goes with any freaking coach who ever takes this job!

You basically said I am dumb for caring so much because I should expect a disappointing outcome. If you’re able to emotionally detach like that, good for you....part of me wishes I could. But you’ll have to forgive me for having the nerve to be unbelievably devastated when my college football team chokes away a 19 point gift wrapped win to their hated rival.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

HaCats wrote:You scold me for making assumptions and then tell me your connections are deeper to Tucson and your family has done more for the UofA then me or anyone else....when you din’t Know me?? Jesus do you come off as a pretentious Orange County douchebag.

My point about being objective was strictly to hold the breaks on the ‘Sumlin sucks’ and ‘fire Sumlin’ after every loss in Year 1. Do I have empirical evidence that he’ll succeed? Of course not. Just as you have none that he won’t. And of course with all the our programs obstacles that you so thoughtfully pointed out, the chances of him not being overly successful are greater than him having huge success. And guess what....that goes with any freaking coach who ever takes this job!

You basically said I am dumb for caring so much because I should expect a disappointing outcome. If you’re able to emotionally detach like that, good for you....part of me wishes I could. But you’ll have to forgive me for having the nerve to be unbelievably devastated when my college football team chokes away a 19 point gift wrapped win to their hated rival.
I don’t need to know you at all to know my connections to Tucson and U of A are greater then yours. They are greater then anyone’s. I have never once brought that up before in the 17 years I have been posting as newportcat. I find it irrelevant and does not make me better then anyone else but you choose to make an assumption about me or people like me from socal when you are flat out wrong. After lecturing about being objective.

I have tons of evidence Sumlin won’t be successful at Arizona. There are a lot of case studies on retread coaches never working out. Arizona with Mackovic and Rich Rod have two great case studies. There are very few of any case studies of retreads doing well. I think gene stallings is still the only fired coach to ever win a conference championship at another school with Alabama.

But again I would love for you to answer my question about laying out a case for Sumlin winning in Tucson.

Remember to be objective you must emotionally detach. And to tell me I road the coattails of a good basketball program as a transplant from SoCal makes you sounds like an Arizona native douchebag too
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

now i'm just curious about newport's familial connections to the UofA
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

blackjacker

Post by blackjacker »

Would we trade our situation with WSU's? Leach wanted this job. True, he wasn't a typical retread and TTU fans did want him, but what kind of recruiting classes is he getting in Pullman?
Why is Pullman a better place for football success than Tucson?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

blackjacker wrote:Would we trade our situation with WSU's? Leach wanted this job. True, he wasn't a typical retread and TTU fans did want him, but what kind of recruiting classes is he getting in Pullman?
2019: 51st (so far)
2018: 45th
2017: 44th
2016: 56th
2015: 42nd
2014: 53rd
2013: 50th
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

blackjacker wrote:Would we trade our situation with WSU's? Leach wanted this job. True, he wasn't a typical retread and TTU fans did want him, but what kind of recruiting classes is he getting in Pullman?
How many outright conference titles has Leach won?

How many bowl games at WSU has he won?

How many BCS type bowls has he won?

How many times has he beaten his in state rival at WSU?

How many times did he beat Oklahoma at Tech?

Leach is a rare exemption in that you are right he is not a typical retread since tech fans never wanted him fired . And he has done great things at WSU but in reality they still always lose to UW, they have only won one bowl game, they never win conference championships etc

Why because they don’t recruit well. When they play a team with better athletes and as good of coaching like a UW they will lose. So even though Leach is a great coach, has not really accomplished anything of note and won’t until he recruits better. He would have been a million times better then Rich Rod but doubtful he would have lead us to a conference championship either. His system beats bad to average teams very well but typically loses to teams that have better athletes and are just as well coached.

Read from a WSU fan site

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cougce ... su-vs-utah" target="_blank
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Thanks for all you and your family has done but you are a total douche. Fuck off saying you do so much more than anyone else.

And since you mentioned it lets do the math. It is easy to assume the AD makes 500 on average per season ticket hold between donations tickets and concession markup. Well all we would need is 1000 more to buy it Yates.

Or if Miller fired Book years ago when he should have we would have had 1.5M more
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

blackjacker wrote:Why is Pullman a better place for football success than Tucson?
During the PAC-10 era, Mike Price put 2 Wazzu teams into the Rose Bowl, and 5 QBs into the NFL. Arizona was 0 and 0.

Crappy weather, crappy facilities, no city life, poor academic ranking and so on. Nearest city is 75 miles away and only has a population of 200K.

It would be very doubtful if WSU was not in the PAC today would campus presidents let them in.

Arizona was brought into the PAC only because the PAC wanted ASU, and needed a natural rival. Bringing in Utah and CU into the PAC-12 showed that the PAC no longer cares about that.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Yes.

I wanted leach as well, players in sheds and all.
HaCats

Post by HaCats »

Newport, I believe I clearly stated that I have no empirical evidence that Sumlin will succeed. And no, you telling me that Mackovic and RR didn’t doesn’t mean jack shit about where Sumlin is after 5 years here. Completely different coaches, completely different strengths/weaknesses in completely different eras. Where you and others lose me, is when you state as fact that his tenure will be a complete failure. It is too early to know that. And I know since you’re smarter than everyone here that you’ll tell me his failure is a certainty, I’m going to wait another year or two before I start to draw any definitive conclusions.

And apologies that you are one of the less than 1% of SoCal UofA alums that have a deep affinity for our football program, I shouldn’t have assumed that.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Where is the non emotional empirical evidence that Miller gets us to a final four Newport?
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

PHXCATS wrote:Thanks for all you and your family has done but you are a total douche. Fuck off saying you do so much more than anyone else.

And since you mentioned it lets do the math. It is easy to assume the AD makes 500 on average per season ticket hold between donations tickets and concession markup. Well all we would need is 1000 more to buy it Yates.

Or if Miller fired Book years ago when he should have we would have had 1.5M more
I never said I do more, I said my family has done more because thats just reality. Again a reality I have never brought up once until someone here wanted to lecture me on my love of U of A given I am just a Socal transplant and about the need to be objective and logical. Look its funny for you to call me a total douche when you in fact are a total douche.

And again, making assumptions is dumb. $500 per person on average for a season ticket holder is just incorrect given the cost of our tickets and the cost of concessions at Arizona stadium. You can get season tickets at Arizona for $70 for the season in the upper east side. Tickets in the Economy sections were cut to $100 and that was with a 7th extra game this year. If you look at Arizona's crowds, the most empty sections of the stadium are in the Upper East Side, the upper west side, and the south side all which are the cheaper sections.

Concessions at Arizona are universally cheap too. Beer sales help for sure but heard it was a disaster to even get beer at games.

Sticking to the topic at hand, maybe you can provide a case for why Sumlin will be succesful at Arizona?
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

PHXCATS wrote:Thanks for all you and your family has done but you are a total douche. Fuck off saying you do so much more than anyone else.

Fuck YOU Machina. You're ALWAYS telling us how much more you do to support the program than anyone else here. Are you THAT non self aware???
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

PHXCATS wrote:Where is the non emotional empirical evidence that Miller gets us to a final four Newport?
He recruits very talented players. To do well in college sports you need to start with talented players. When you look at Final Four teams, on the whole many are highly ranked. If you look at highly ranked teams, they typically are ones that recruit very well or recruit talented players. Given the one and done nature of the tournament it of course has exemptions every year since its the least efficient way to determine a true champion in all of major american sports (No home court/field advantage, Lose and you are out, no best of three, five or seven game series, etc)

The evidence would overwhelming suggest if Miller continues to recruit talented players, he should get us to a final four. Will he we shall see but I can tell you the wrong answer would be to try and make a final four by recruiting less talented players. There is a reason our program has made 4 final fours, and while Lute was an awesome coach you also just need to look at the amount of money the players on those teams made in the NBA to realize they were very talented.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Newportcat wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:Where is the non emotional empirical evidence that Miller gets us to a final four Newport?
He recruits very talented players. To do well in college sports you need to start with talented players. When you look at Final Four teams, on the whole many are highly ranked. If you look at highly ranked teams, they typically are ones that recruit very well or recruit talented players. Given the one and done nature of the tournament it of course has exemptions every year since its the least efficient way to determine a true champion in all of major american sports (No home court/field advantage, Lose and you are out, no best of three, five or seven game series, etc)

The evidence would overwhelming suggest if Miller continues to recruit talented players, he should get us to a final four. Will he we shall see but I can tell you the wrong answer would be to try and make a final four by recruiting less talented players. There is a reason our program has made 4 final fours, and while Lute was an awesome coach you also just need to look at the amount of money the players on those teams made in the NBA to realize they were very talented.
You are suggesting that even though Miller has not gotten to the final four before we should just continue to let him do his thing and just believe it will happen. Ok good non emotional empirical evidence.

Also how about this since you are saying Sumlin will fail. No coach has ever made their first final four at Arizona. Never has been done ever. Should we fire Miller then? Your evidence on Sumlin would suggest that
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

HaCats wrote:Newport, I believe I clearly stated that I have no empirical evidence that Sumlin will succeed. And no, you telling me that Mackovic and RR didn’t doesn’t mean jack shit about where Sumlin is after 5 years here. Completely different coaches, completely different strengths/weaknesses in completely different eras. Where you and others lose me, is when you state as fact that his tenure will be a complete failure. It is too early to know that. And I know since you’re smarter than everyone here that you’ll tell me his failure is a certainty, I’m going to wait another year or two before I start to draw any definitive conclusions.

And apologies that you are one of the less than 1% of SoCal UofA alums that have a deep affinity for our football program, I shouldn’t have assumed that.
Man, it has been a while since I have gotten into a banter war on this site like my old days. Kind of like it!

So you know what Mackovic and RR share in common with Sumlin...they all coached at the U of A. So you say Mackovic and RR not succeeding here means nothing to Sumlin but it should mean a lot since they coached at the exact same place. And what about Stoops not succeeding here or Tomey ultimately being fired here? We have never had a coach at Arizona who either did not leave for a better job or be fired in football. That should tell you something. We never had a Candrea or Lute or Frank Busch or Jerry Kindall or Dave Rubio or Rick Larose or Andy Lopez or Dave Murray who retired or will be able to retire him here at least in the past 50 years.

That the empirical evidence clearly shows that it is next to impossible for a retread coach like Sumlin to succeed at Arizona because no retread before him has. That retreads overwhelming do not succeed in college football in general. That if a coach was fired from a job with far better resources at Arizona, it is very logical to think it is next to impossible they will succeed at Arizona. The evidence overwhelming falls in this camp. Believing otherwise is an emotional reaction and is not being objective.

On behalf of all SoCal alums, we say screw you too. Do not make general assumptions that barely any Socal alums care about football. I have tons of buddies who love the U of A who live in SoCal. Who bleed red and blue and were very pissed off this past weekend losing to ASU.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Popcorn time.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

PHXCATS wrote:
Newportcat wrote:

You are suggesting that even though Miller has not gotten to the final four before we should just continue to let him do his thing and just believe it will happen. Ok good non emotional empirical evidence.

Also how about this since you are saying Sumlin will fail. No coach has ever made their first final four at Arizona. Never has been done ever. Should we fire Miller then? Your evidence on Sumlin would suggest that
To fire a coach in college basketball that recruits as well as Miller does is a recipe for disaster based on all evidence. To fire a coach in college basketball that has had the regular season success Miller has had is also a recipe for disaster. again, the NCAA tournament is the most inefficient way to determine a champion in sports. History has shown that coaches who recruit well and have great regular season success will break through and make a final four.

Firing Miller and then trying to hire another coach would not make logical sense to me either unless we could get a Coach K or Jay Wright which is not going to happen.

But can someone please give me the case for why Sumlin will succeed at Arizona?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Merkin wrote:
Arizona was brought into the PAC only because the PAC wanted ASU, and needed a natural rival.

This is incorrect Merk. You should read the stories on how it went down. I'm at work but I'll try to post a link tonight. ASU didn't even want to leave the WAC.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

UAEebs86 wrote:
Merkin wrote:
Arizona was brought into the PAC only because the PAC wanted ASU, and needed a natural rival.

This is incorrect Merk. You should read the stories on how it went down. I'm at work but I'll try to post a link tonight. ASU didn't even want to leave the WAC.
Yeah didn't they not want to give up their dominance of that conference and yearly guarantee of hosting their own bowl game?

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

UAdevil wrote:

Fuck YOU Machina. You're ALWAYS telling us how much more you do to support the program than anyone else here. Are you THAT non self aware???
No kidding.

Anyone else as tired of this knob as I am?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

UAEebs86 wrote:
Merkin wrote:

As usual, your memory is better than mine Eebs!
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

Saying Sumlin will ultimately fail because past coaches have is a good assumption based on the data. However, there are always outliers in the data eventually. Maybe Sumlin will be that guy or maybe he won't. At the same time, if we would have hired an up and coming coach the data says the same thing. They will either fail or move on before producing what we all ultimately want. I'll continue to hope that we eventually get that outlier coach whether it be a retread or a young up and coming coach.
HaCats

Post by HaCats »

Newport, why do you keep asking for ‘someone to make a case why Sumlin will succeed’....as though you are proving some point? Can you make a case why any living breathing human being who we would have a realistic shot at hiring.....WOULD succeed at arizona? Nobody in this recent thread stated that his tenure is a surefire success, I don’t feel that way at all.

It’s funny how I touched a nerve with you and you’re upset you were ‘lectured’, but you’ve spent the last several months on this board lecturing everyone about how you have seen the light on the ills of football in ways the rest of us Neanderthals ever could. No matter the topic, you come off as the guy at the bar who is enamored with the sound of his own voice and thinks he’s the smartest guy in every room he walks into.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

ha
haha
hahaha
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
UAdevil wrote:

Yes, yes he is.
Chicat wrote:
UAdevil wrote:

No kidding.

Anyone else as tired of this knob as I am?
Yes, yes I am