2017 recruits/commitment thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

azcat49

Re: 2017 recruits/commitment thread

Post by azcat49 »

Agree Harvey. Dudek was selling the company juice hard. My interpretation of his job is to keep our name in front of the guys the coaches want. Build a relationship and coordinate the trips, events and information.

There is not one coach on this team (maybe Williams) who should get a pass. It stinks from the head down and even GB has some culpability in this thing as well IMO
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

catinfl wrote:
chiefzona wrote:
RazorsEdgeAZ wrote:Is the approach changing? Being modified?

"A few mistakes"? "more work pursuing highly-rated"?

Dudek should have been fired a long time ago.
LOL it's not like Dudek makes the end decisions just goes after the guys the coaches want. Dude is a great recruiter and so is Singletary.

We all know what he does. Dudek is a great recruiter? Seriously? That was the worst statement I've ever seen from you. Even the biggest homer knows that is a line of bullshit.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Is Dudek even allowed to recruit? I thought he was just the on campus coordinator or something similar.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Merkin wrote:Is Dudek even allowed to recruit? I thought he was just the on campus coordinator or something similar.
I thought the only time he went out recruiting is when we were short a few coaches.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

azgreg wrote:
Merkin wrote:Is Dudek even allowed to recruit? I thought he was just the on campus coordinator or something similar.
I thought the only time he went out recruiting is when we were short a few coaches.
Makes sense.

And why the UA does not have a designated ST only coach so Stoops and RichRod just gave it to the junior position coach on staff.

11.7.2 Football Bowl Subdivision - There shall be a limit of one head coach, nine assistant coaches and two graduate assistant coaches who may be employed by an institution in bowl subdivision football.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

I believe that there's a good chance that they'll be allowed to have a tenth assistant next year; not sure if that's still just a proposal or if it has been passed. Most schools don't have a designated ST coach because of the limitations.

That said, I think Ragle needs to be let go or at least be moved off ST. I've been on record here before saying that while place kicking accuracy and punting fundamentals are important, the team's real ST problem has been return coverage. This has gotten worse - much worse - since last season, and it wasn't great before. You can't win games when you're constantly giving teams free yards, and when you're failing to get extra yards on a regular basis on kick returns. If you win field position, the other team has to make more plays to score. If they have to make more plays, that's more chances for them to make a mistake or for you to get a third down stop. You also have a chance of getting a shorter field when you get the ball. Arizona has been absolutely obliterated in the field position game this year.
ALASKACAT

Post by ALASKACAT »

Correct me if I am wrong, but when Tomey was our head coach, special teams were played with our best players. If you were a starter on offense or defense and happened to be the best person to play special teams...you did your duty and played special teams also.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

I retract my earlier comments... Dudek is only getting paid $130K per year... which is considerably less than I thought. I know that is more money than a lot of professors on staff at the UA, but that is not much dough for a guy who is working on a renewable one-year contract, could lose his job at any time, and any job change (without a corresponding change in career) would involve a household relocation.

At that pay level relative to other members of the staff, he is following the direction he is given... our recruiting woes are not on his shoulders. At all.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

ALASKACAT wrote:Correct me if I am wrong, but when Tomey was our head coach, special teams were played with our best players. If you were a starter on offense or defense and happened to be the best person to play special teams...you did your duty and played special teams also.
Seems right to me too. Remember when the UA would actually block punts and field goals?

Exact opposite of what Mike Stoops said, something like special teams are for walk ons and scrubs that want to get into games.
ALASKACAT

Post by ALASKACAT »

Larry Smith and Dick Tomey's team blocked punts regularly. Now a days once in a blue moon.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Harvey Specter wrote:I retract my earlier comments... Dudek is only getting paid $130K per year... which is considerably less than I thought. I know that is more money than a lot of professors on staff at the UA, but that is not much dough for a guy who is working on a renewable one-year contract, could lose his job at any time, and any job change (without a corresponding change in career) would involve a household relocation.

At that pay level relative to other members of the staff, he is following the direction he is given... our recruiting woes are not on his shoulders. At all.
He's working on a 12 month appointed position. Many academic people work on 9 or 12 month appointments. If one gets cross with the wrong person, the appointment may not get renewed. Scary stuff to me...
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

azpenguin wrote:I believe that there's a good chance that they'll be allowed to have a tenth assistant next year; not sure if that's still just a proposal or if it has been passed. Most schools don't have a designated ST coach because of the limitations.

That said, I think Ragle needs to be let go or at least be moved off ST. I've been on record here before saying that while place kicking accuracy and punting fundamentals are important, the team's real ST problem has been return coverage. This has gotten worse - much worse - since last season, and it wasn't great before. You can't win games when you're constantly giving teams free yards, and when you're failing to get extra yards on a regular basis on kick returns. If you win field position, the other team has to make more plays to score. If they have to make more plays, that's more chances for them to make a mistake or for you to get a third down stop. You also have a chance of getting a shorter field when you get the ball. Arizona has been absolutely obliterated in the field position game this year.

I agree with that. Special Teams is not rocket science. Its technique and discipline. Stay in your pursuit lanes and go like hell. We keep hearing they're going to make it a priority but if that was truly happening you'd see improvement.
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

ALASKACAT wrote:Larry Smith and Dick Tomey's team blocked punts regularly. Now a days once in a blue moon.
Larry Smith was an absolutely obsessive compulsive about special teams and it showed.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

AZ offers a 310lb JUCO defensive tackle.

http://www.azdesertswarm.com/recruiting ... he-canyons" target="_blank
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

That would be a nice get.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

RRod trying to poach 4 star RB from Michigan:

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/colle ... /94652002/" target="_blank

Los Lunas (N.M.) four-star running back O'Maury Samuels: Samuels has gone quiet over the past few months, and has allowed himself to be .recruited by a bunch of other schools, including Oklahoma, USC and Arizona. He took an official visit to Arizona in October, and has reportedly been listening to them relatively intently. Michigan has three verbal commitments at running back (including Samuels) and are still after the nation's top prospect in five-star running back Najee Harris. Samuels could be the best bet to end up elsewhere. Concern level: moderate.
TuiTouchdown

Post by TuiTouchdown »

dmjcat wrote:AZ offers a 310lb JUCO defensive tackle.

http://www.azdesertswarm.com/recruiting ... he-canyons" target="_blank
Dude looks huge. Looks like he can eat Belknap.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Cats getting a visit from a top Midwest CB:

http://www.si.com/college-football/2016 ... iting-2017" target="_blank
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Cats may have edge for 4 Star DB now that Helfrich is gone

https://n.rivals.com/news/where-oregon- ... ing-change" target="_blank

Oregon has emerged as a serious contender for Graham, whose Rancho Cucamonga, Calif., teammate Jaylon Redd is committed to the Ducks as of late Tuesday night. Those two, along with three-stars Tayari Venable and Darren Hall, form one of the best defensive backfields in the country. Arizona seems to have the edge for Graham while Notre Dame and some others remain involved. The four-star said Tuesday night that he will wait to see who’s hired at Oregon and then figure out how high the Ducks will be on his list.
Sid

Post by Sid »

dmjcat wrote:Cats may have edge for 4 Star DB now that Helfrich is gone

https://n.rivals.com/news/where-oregon- ... ing-change" target="_blank

Oregon has emerged as a serious contender for Graham, whose Rancho Cucamonga, Calif., teammate Jaylon Redd is committed to the Ducks as of late Tuesday night. Those two, along with three-stars Tayari Venable and Darren Hall, form one of the best defensive backfields in the country. Arizona seems to have the edge for Graham while Notre Dame and some others remain involved. The four-star said Tuesday night that he will wait to see who’s hired at Oregon and then figure out how high the Ducks will be on his list.
Prime poaching season..... :)

Get on it boys!
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

247 has Rhett at 6'1". So RichRod is 6'5"? Must have used his puffy hair.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Pretty cool they are giving him the full recruiting experience. I got to give RR some props for that IMO
ALASKACAT

Post by ALASKACAT »

azcat49 wrote:Pretty cool they are giving him the full recruiting experience. I got to give RR some props for that IMO
Rhett, enjoy it now! Dead period set for Dec 19-Jan 3. Banished to your room or better yet, stay with your grand parents. ;)
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

AZ targeting Ohio State Decommit...............4 Star LB

http://tucson.com/sports/arizonawildcat ... 6bb22.html" target="_blank
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

UA pursuing ex-Baylor kicker

http://www.azdesertswarm.com/recruiting ... s-wildcats" target="_blank
KillerKlown

Post by KillerKlown »

Greg Johnson just decommitted.
It's going to be loooong off season.
:cry:
Mike Luke's burner account.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

KillerKlown wrote:Greg Johnson just decommitted.
It doesn't matter because he didn't sign LOT to Arizona. He was committed to William not the school or RR.
Now it up to the staff too keep it intact or go recruit.
Their nothing to can be said for it.
KillerKlown

Post by KillerKlown »

cordera89 wrote:
It doesn't matter because he didn't sign LOT to Arizona. He was committed to William not the school or RR.
um, yea.

We need another leader/recruiter asap before the dead period begins.
Mike Luke's burner account.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

College Football and especially its recruiting is just the worst, the absolute worst.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

KillerKlown wrote:
cordera89 wrote:
um, yea.

Some on the board have mention Tony White of SDSU. But that all depends if RR can reach out and convince him to come Arizona.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Really wanted to see White at UCLA
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

cordera89 wrote:
KillerKlown wrote:
cordera89 wrote:
um, yea.

Some on the board have mention Tony White of SDSU. But that all depends if RR can reach out and convince him to come Arizona.
The copy cats have mentioned him.
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

Johnson's spot will be replaced soon. Sucks to lose him, but maybe not everything is as bad as it seems on the recruiting trail :)
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

catinfl wrote:Johnson's spot will be replaced soon. Sucks to lose him, but maybe not everything is as bad as it seems on the recruiting trail :)

You continue to be funny. I like your stand up.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Hard to imagine we could get a guy as good as Johnson u less it is Graham.

Can we land him and if not who might be this mystery guy that could step in next year and lock down one side of the field?
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

It about who sign with Arizona on National Signing Day. It really not about who replace Johnson or we land Graham.

Who ever sign with RR and Arizona, Is what we get.
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

azcat49 wrote:Hard to imagine we could get a guy as good as Johnson u less it is Graham.

Can we land him and if not who might be this mystery guy that could step in next year and lock down one side of the field?
Not as good as Johnson. Just saying we will get a kid here soon and everything isn't as doom and gloom as it seems. Graham is interesting can't get a grip on his recruitment and he is an early enrollee so he will be deciding soon. I'd say Notre Dame right now but wouldn't be surprised if he picks us if we get a good DB coach
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

cordera89 wrote:It about who sign with Arizona on National Signing Day. It really not about who replace Johnson or we land Graham.

You're like the world's worst Magic 8 Ball.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

Chicat wrote:
cordera89 wrote:It about who sign with Arizona on National Signing Day. It really not about who replace Johnson or we land Graham.

You're like the world's worst Magic 8 Ball.
Chi that truth, Deal with it.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

The bottom is dropping out but RR apologists still hold on with a death grip.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

chiefzona wrote:The bottom is dropping out but RR apologists still hold on with a death grip.
#BlameByrne
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Then we will suck and RR will be fired after another 3 win season
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

Harvey Specter wrote:
chiefzona wrote:The bottom is dropping out but RR apologists still hold on with a death grip.
#BlameByrne
Harvey,

You're not wrong very often, but I would say that after five years at the helm and millions of dollars later and assembling the worst football roster in the PAC12 during that time, I would say this dichotomy falls squarely on Rich Rods shoulders.

I hope that GB has already started his stealth, under the radar search for RR's successor.

RR was lavished with excessive earnings and perks and failed miserably.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

It completely falls on RR but Byrne has some fault now. Byrne will either rectify it or take another job.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

chiefzona wrote:It completely falls on RR but Byrne has some fault now. Byrne will either rectify it or take another job.
We have a dead man waking as head coach and the other teams will let the kids know.

There's going to be some serious damage to the program and I fear it will take a long time to recover. Buyout by train wreck scares the shit out of me.

I hope I'm wrong, but I have a bad feeling about this.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Gladiator Cat wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:
#BlameByrne
Harvey,

You're not wrong very often, but I would say that after five years at the helm and millions of dollars later and assembling the worst football roster in the PAC12 during that time, I would say this dichotomy falls squarely on Rich Rods shoulders.

I hope that GB has already started his stealth, under the radar search for RR's successor.

RR was lavished with excessive earnings and perks and failed miserably.
http://www.beardownwildcats.com/viewtop ... 00#p224280" target="_blank
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

wyo-cat wrote:
chiefzona wrote:It completely falls on RR but Byrne has some fault now. Byrne will either rectify it or take another job.
We have a dead man waking as head coach and the other teams will let the kids know.

There's going to be some serious damage to the program and I fear it will take a long time to recover. Buyout by train wreck scares the shit out of me.

I hope I'm wrong, but I have a bad feeling about this.

It's bad.