2016 Recruit/Commitment Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Newportcat

Re: 2016 Recruit/Commitment Thread

Post by Newportcat »

dc4azcats wrote:
Newportcat wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:As far as I can tell the utsey guy is a completely unevaluated unranked guy with no interest from any other schools. Lets hope he's Scooby 2.0
Seems like a stretch but you can't coach size and I always think if you take a flyer, take one on a kid with this type of size because if it does work out you have a potential monster because big strong d lineman can be so important to success and are hard to find.

If the guys craps out, well you took a chance on a 6'4 290lbs DT. I take that bet all day long at a place like Arizona
Guys who are natural DT's at 6'4 290 in HS are hard to come by. Guys that have been injured so nobody has really had a chance to see him because he didn't go to a bunch of camps and combines shows how good this staff is at evaluating based on film. Have you watched the kids film? I know you've already claimed the '15 class sucks before they've played a down but are you also saying this kid sucks as well and you've never seen him play?

This staff only had film on Scooby and had not seen him in person when they offered, which should tell you all you need to know about their ability to evaluate talent. Stay with me on this, but our coaches actually watch film and thus have an idea on what this kid can do. They don't view him as a "stretch", kind of like they didn't view Scooby as a "stretch" either. Other than that you were spot on as usual.
I was F*CKING MAKING THE POINT THAT IT WAS SMART TO TAKE THIS KID. My God, seriously what is wrong with you. Any time you take a 2 star recruit it could "seem like a stretch" BUT as I have said it is a very smart bet. Recruiting is like betting and taking 2 star recruits are not betting with the odds. But you take the bet on kids like this.

Do you feel the need to argue with me just to argue.
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

MrBug708 wrote:
dc4azcats wrote:
This staff only had film on Scooby and had not seen him in person when they offered, which should tell you all you need to know about their ability to evaluate talent. Stay with me on this, but our coaches actually watch film and thus have an idea on what this kid can do. They don't view him as a "stretch", kind of like they didn't view Scooby as a "stretch" either. Other than that you were spot on as usual.
Isn't this a little dangerous to say though? For every Scooby, there are about a dozen Bush-Loo's that were scouted.

YES THANK YOU OUTSIDE VOICE OF REASON!
Scummy Dick Douglas

Post by Scummy Dick Douglas »

dc4azcats wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:The star system is a joke except when it comes to being an excellent indicator of who wins the most in college football.
Ohio State still had great recruiting classes when Urban Meyer wasn't the coach. Florida had great recruiting classes when Ron Zook and Muschamp were coaching Florida. Bobby Bowden at FSU had great recruiting classes at the end of his tenure and they won what? Add Texas to that list as well which proves the point that getting star players doesn't guarantee success if you can't coach said talent. And or develop said talent.
No one is saying coaching doesn't matter. Lets look at the reverse of your argument. Who was the last National champion that regularly brought in recruiting classes similar to UA's? It simply doesn't happen.

It takes talent and coaching to win championships. And as good as you think RR may be, he won't be winning the conference until he brings in better talent. (And yes, star ratings are historically sound way of assessing talent). Just look to last season. It could be argued that UA lost to SC and UCLA because of the talent gap alone. RR will always provide a competitive product on the field, but it will take several top 20 recruiting classes before he has the tools necessary to make a real run at a championship, conference or national.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Who is our next commit? Cain, Gutwald? Would like to see some more OL recruits in this class, can never have enough big uglies up front

Wait, need to say something else so DC can argue with me....umm Scobby Wright sucks...there that should get him going
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

Newportcat wrote:And you know this how? The season hasn't even started yet and once again you prove how little you know. You're pathetic in trying to prove a point that is impossible to prove at this point. But by all means keep trying. If only we had that indoor practice field, we would be killing it in recruiting right now. Maybe even have a top 25 class??
By rankings, the class was not great and history has proven at Arizona that recruiting classes do matter as since 1999 we have had 2 recruiting classes in the Top 25 I believe 2006 and 2014, and low and behold we have had one team finish in the top 25, 2014....coincidence, I think not.

And bringing up the indoor facility just proves how little you know about Arizona football. Rich Rod would love an indoor facility and thinks its the one major missing piece to our program. Well that and actually being able to sell out our stadium[/quote]

RR hasn't been here since '99 so I'm not sure how you make that comparison? Scout had our 2014 class ranked 30th as an FYI. 2005 class was ranked 15th as we had 12 4* players in that class according to Scout. In 06 we came in at 19th and had 7 4* players in that class. 19 4 star players in 2 years and all we could muster is a 5-7 record in 07. We did go 8-5 back to back in 08 and 09 fwiw.

As a side note, Ucla had the #12 class in '12 and the #3 recruiting class in '13. In that 2 year period they had 3 5* and 24 4* players commit and what have they won? In '14 they dropped to 20th best class. Last year they were 9th. Ton of talent has been recruited to Westwood since '12 and yet?? In 2012 Texas had the number one recruiting class in the country. Texas went 6-7 last year.

It's the missing piece? You don't live here and it's obvious that you don't know what you speak of. RR loves his outdoor practice facility and has said publicly numerous times how much he loves it because it has to full size practice fields. How many full size fields do you get inside an indoor facility? A half a football field at best in most places. They use the entire outdoor practice facility because they can. When it rains they go over to the stadium and practice on the turf. RR has stated that it wouldn't bother him if they had an indoor practice facility and has stated that it's not a priority. If it was a priority then we would have built a bubble much like Assu did to accommodate RR's request. The bubble isn't that much in the big scheme of things and we were already putting turf down in front of LSFF so I'm not sure that it would've been that big of a deal to convert half of that into an indoor facility.

How many practices do you think we've had to cancel in the 3 years RR has been coach? I can't remember even one but for argument sake we can say once in 3 years.
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

Scummy Dick Douglas wrote:
dc4azcats wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:The star system is a joke except when it comes to being an excellent indicator of who wins the most in college football.
Ohio State still had great recruiting classes when Urban Meyer wasn't the coach. Florida had great recruiting classes when Ron Zook and Muschamp were coaching Florida. Bobby Bowden at FSU had great recruiting classes at the end of his tenure and they won what? Add Texas to that list as well which proves the point that getting star players doesn't guarantee success if you can't coach said talent. And or develop said talent.
No one is saying coaching doesn't matter. Lets look at the reverse of your argument. Who was the last National champion that regularly brought in recruiting classes similar to UA's? It simply doesn't happen.

It takes talent and coaching to win championships. And as good as you think RR may be, he won't be winning the conference until he brings in better talent. (And yes, star ratings are historically sound way of assessing talent). Just look to last season. It could be argued that UA lost to SC and UCLA because of the talent gap alone. RR will always provide a competitive product on the field, but it will take several top 20 recruiting classes before he has the tools necessary to make a real run at a championship, conference or national.
We lost to SC on a missed FG on the last play of the game. That talent gap was impressive as far as the score went. Look at what Ucla has recruited the last 3 years and what have they won? In the last 3 years they have as many south Championships as we do.

RR went to 2 BCS bowls in 3 years with top 50 recruiting classes. Beat Georgia and Oklahoma and I'm sure both schools haven't sniffed a top 50 recruiting class ever.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Ok so UCLA has not done anything except beat USC three years in a row and basically turn their program around to the point that Mora should have them in the Top 20 going forward every year.

and for the love of god, while I dont live in Tucson now, I did when I was in college and still have a lot of family who lives there. It is F*cking HOT this time of year, the indoor facility is to counter act the biggest knock against playing football at Arizona, it is f*cking Hot for 5 months out of the year there. We did Arizona state build one, we did the Cardinals build one, because its F*cking hot. If you live in Tucson, go outside tomorrow at 2pm and stand in the sun for 5min, then think about putting pads on and going through a 2 hour practice. If we built a bitchin indoor facility where the baseball stadium is, we could probably still fit one full size field next to it, then a 80 yard field behind the new sand volleyball facility. that would look great, provide a great indoor facility for all sports to practice in during the HOT months of May through September, provide a place to hold summer camps for football, be a great recruiting tool, and provide a place to tailgate before football games and maybe even basketball games.

Whats with this half field BS too, every indoor facility I have ever seen is a full field. You are just making stuff up now

Rich rod at an event in Orange County told me too my face he would really love an indoor facility but the athletic departments focus was on fixing up McKale after Lowell Stevens was done. So I guess you are calling Rich Rod a liar.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

DC4, first, I know you hate the star system, and you've got 1001 examples up your sleeve about where it didn't accurately reflect on an individual player, but Winger has already proven to you and the rest of us that statistically it does matter if you hope to compete at the highest level in football. I refuse to pore over the old posts on TOS, but I'm sure Winger's statistics can be found again by anyone interested enough to re-start this old argument.

Second, if you find it stupid to discuss the quality of a recruiting class until four years after, then what on Earth are we supposed to discuss now? Last year's seniors? That wouldn't leave much room for discussion, would it? Why don't you just accept that people will continue to discuss the most recent recruiting class based on it's star rankings, because that is literally the only information we have to go by. Of course it's not perfect, and I agree that the its utility in discussing any particular individual is next to useless, but it's not terribly insulting to the team or the coaching staff for one to say that he is disappointed with a class on paper. 'On paper' is a perfectly legitimate caveat in this case, as it acknowledges that we don't really know. Best we can do without refraining from all discussion till after all the kids graduate!
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

RazorsEdgeAZ wrote:Michael Eletise on ESPN Maui today. Talks about his recruitment process, why AZ and how he looked for the best fit for him and going to a "brand" name school wasn't a priority for him.

Eletise
This is a solid commitment. I'm not going to de-commit
Here's the podcast http://www.espnmaui.com/page.php?page_id=331
Thanks for the link. Nice interview and better kid.

I wonder sometimes if anyone will every bring anything new to the stars v coaches evaluation argument? No one certainly did this time around.

Always sad for me to see "fans" knock the kids we have already recruited because they weren't highly rated. Regardless if you were happy with the recruiting class or not, the players are working their asses off year round to get in condition, make the team, earn a playing spot, and win football games. They are Wildcats and deserve our support.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Puerco

Post by Puerco »

ANGCatFan wrote:
RazorsEdgeAZ wrote:Michael Eletise on ESPN Maui today. Talks about his recruitment process, why AZ and how he looked for the best fit for him and going to a "brand" name school wasn't a priority for him.

Eletise
This is a solid commitment. I'm not going to de-commit
Here's the podcast http://www.espnmaui.com/page.php?page_id=331
Thanks for the link. Nice interview and better kid.

I wonder sometimes if anyone will every bring anything new to the stars v coaches evaluation argument? No one certainly did this time around.

Always sad for me to see "fans" knock the kids we have already recruited because they weren't highly rated. Regardless if you were happy with the recruiting class or not, the players are working their asses off year round to get in condition, make the team, earn a playing spot, and win football games. They are Wildcats and deserve our support.
I think your last paragraph explains why people get emotional over this topic. Some people read critique of an entire recruiting class as a personal attack on the individuals within that class. IMO, it is nothing of the sort. At least I hope it isn't. The world ain't that black and white, I hope.

Expressing disappointment that we recruited a particular player? Now that's bad form, IMO.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Getting back on topic, who do you guys think our next commit is, would hope it would be Cain.

Oh on the star argument, and I have posted these articles multiple times and there are about a million more out there showing to win championships, stars matter. The guy I consider to be the guru for college football, Phil Steele, also writes about this every year in his magazine and gives concrete proof of how his star system shows that recruiting highly ranked players leads to championships and there is a high correlation between a players ranking and where they get drafted

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootbal ... l/21641769

http://www.footballstudyhall.com/2014/2 ... ings-right

http://athlonsports.com/college-footbal ... ngs-matter

I guess the thing is,that as I have said multiple times, my goal for Arizona football is to play and WIN a rose bowl. I think its a pretty good goal and I guess I am the type who wants my sports team to strive for greatness always. Maybe its been the curse of growing up a Lakers fan where Banners are all that matter. Great coaching alone has not gotten us to a Rose Bowl before. We need Talent mixed with great coaching

Thankfully I think this current class is a great one so far with the ability to continue to land some strong highly ranked players
threenumberones

Post by threenumberones »

The problem is you continue to ignore that RR is not a conventional coach with a conventional system. You can't take those metrics and apply them directly. He won consistently and in BCS games at WVU with Arizona-like recruiting classes. Players that get passed on by pro-style systems can be better suited to what RR does. Granted not the big uglies, but for anyone without a hand on the ground it's plausible. And he also priorities the intangibles, unlike the Sabans of the world. You should clearly go be a USC fan because that's what you want. UofA will NEVER be that high profile kind of program. And that's exactly why RR is the perfect fit. Always under the radar a bit, unconventional, blue collar, scraping and clawing, and overachieving according to your boilerplate metrics.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Might get a bunch from that class contributing early. Creason, Fotu, Bradford and MgGlore are 4 guys that come to mind and probably a few more. Might be more productive than we think
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

DC4cats went all out KyleCollins on this thread
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

CatsbyAZ wrote:DC4cats went all out KyleCollins on this thread
LOL, KyleCollins, drink!
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

If I'm not mistaken the mighty UCLA Bruins has a practice facility that only has an 80 yard field. There are others as well that fall short of a full field. If we built one where Sancet/Kindall field is at I don't believe that'd be big enough for a full field either.
Sage&Silver

Post by Sage&Silver »

ChooChooCat wrote:If I'm not mistaken the mighty UCLA Bruins has a practice facility that only has an 80 yard field. There are others as well that fall short of a full field. If we built one where Sancet/Kindall field is at I don't believe that'd be big enough for a full field either.
Take a look at Google maps. Even if the indoor facility were for some reason confined to the dimensions of the outfield, there would be room. There is a 90 yard field (plus end zones) painted on it with room for a full 100 yard field if you take it to the warning track. Sancet is 360 down the line or 120 yards so there is room even in its baseball configuration. But keep in mind, knocking down the baseball stadium would open up even more room.

I would be interested to see the 1st base stands kept to give Soccer/Rugby an home on campus, then the indoor practice facility could by built in what is now left & center fields. That would leave the whole area between 6th and Volleyball for a pair of 80 yard natural grass fields.
TuiTouchdown

Post by TuiTouchdown »

Newportcat wrote:Getting back on topic, who do you guys think our next commit is, would hope it would be Cain.
Personally I'd love to see a shut-down corner.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Sage&Silver wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:If I'm not mistaken the mighty UCLA Bruins has a practice facility that only has an 80 yard field. There are others as well that fall short of a full field. If we built one where Sancet/Kindall field is at I don't believe that'd be big enough for a full field either.
Take a look at Google maps. Even if the indoor facility were for some reason confined to the dimensions of the outfield, there would be room. There is a 90 yard field (plus end zones) painted on it with room for a full 100 yard field if you take it to the warning track. Sancet is 360 down the line or 120 yards so there is room even in its baseball configuration. But keep in mind, knocking down the baseball stadium would open up even more room.

I would be interested to see the 1st base stands kept to give Soccer/Rugby an home on campus, then the indoor practice facility could by built in what is now left & center fields. That would leave the whole area between 6th and Volleyball for a pair of 80 yard natural grass fields.
Hmmm I was just basing that thought off the fact that the practice field it has been turned into isn't 100 yards and just jumped to the conclusion there's not room for one. Thanks for pointing out the actual amount of room we have. Truly surprised a booster hasn't come forth with a bunch of money for an indoor facility already. Then again our big donors are on the bball side so maybe it's not that much of a surprise.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Here is what I think, if RR really wanted a bubble he would have one or GB would be openly talking about it being built soon. It would have been easy to float another 5M of bonds in the LS project. I just don't think RR has it as a priority.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I think practicing in the heat has it's advantages as far as stamina.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Sage&Silver

Post by Sage&Silver »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Sage&Silver wrote:

Hmmm I was just basing that thought off the fact that the practice field it has been turned into isn't 100 yards and just jumped to the conclusion there's not room for one. Thanks for pointing out the actual amount of room we have. Truly surprised a booster hasn't come forth with a bunch of money for an indoor facility already. Then again our big donors are on the bball side so maybe it's not that much of a surprise.
I also wonder about the mirror lab. It is big money manufacturing, and probably one of the few academic areas athletics can't just kick down the door and have their way.

They can be booked several years out when they get a contract. I know there has been a lot of construction in that part of campus this past decade... and obviously game day creates a lot of vibration. I just wonder if a major earth moving/pile driving construction project right next door is a bridge too far until they find a break in production.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

dc4azcats wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:
Newportcat wrote:Guys, our class last year was not good. We didn't recruit well after having three straight classes that improved on themselves. We missed out on almost all our big targets and did not recruit our key markets well like SoCal. It's not like we were coming off a bad season either, not as good as last year but still 8-5 and bowl won which for Arizona football is a damn good season and AND we were one year in to the Lowell Stevens facility which was supposed to by the savior for recruiting. Now I really like this class because we are doing all the things we should be doing, recruiting SoCal well, getting mostly strong three star recruits and some four stars, getting size along the lines, getting good JUCO mid year transfers, and recruiting speed. Love to see some more local recruits but this is a very good class for us.

Some of you should stop making excuses for our team as we should expect these type of classes every year especially with the new facility. We will never have top ten class like basketball, but we should be able to bring in top 20-30 Classes every year. Also this well the guy lost a star or didn't gain a star because he was recruited to Arizona is pathetic. None of these sites have a vendetta against Arizona.
With the exception of the board members who seem compelled to defend the infallibility of the staff at every turn, I think most would agree that last year's class was pretty disappointing on paper (why not signing a QB hurt our class ranking went over my head, but whatever). That said, we won't know for a while how good it actually is.

But it is done... And why you feel the need to continue harping on it is beyond me. They are in school, the class is not changing, and all we can do is hope for the best - and look ahead.

This class is shaping up nicely - I like getting the 4 star studs with impressive offer lists; it not only speaks to the talent entering the program, but also the stature of the program in recruits' eyes. It seems like the "stars don't matter crowd" likes getting those guys, too - although they never admit it when we don't.
Please, one of you tell me how you know this class sucks when not a one has played a snap as yet? I'm not defending the coaching staff, I'm saying how idiotic it is to declare a class a failure when not a one has stepped on the field. And, most of this class won't see the field for at the very least 2 years. In 2 years time if you want to say this class sucked and here's why? I'm all ears. But to say this class sucks at the end of July is pure ignorance since you have nothing to base it on. But on paper? And we all know how many games are played on paper.
Would ou f*cking read the you post you respond to before arching your back and going into your best little league Mom routine? Nowhere did I come close to saying "I know thi class sucks". Your true believer shtick is sweet, really, but your insistence on vilifying everyone who does not mimic it has been long in the tooth for longer than I can remember.

Last year's class was disappointing ON PAPER, but it's effectiveness is yet to be determined. That is what I said, and I will stand by it. I will also hope that it turns out to be terrific.

Your "Scooby was a 2-star" shpiel is as predictable as Rain Man's declaration that "K-Mart sucks". Scooby is a stud... But your argument weakens if you would ever take a look at the hit rate on 2 and low-rated 3-stars. It would be like saying saying an NFL team should never take a QB rated in the top 10 on the board in the draft because Montana and Brady are the best to play the position, while Ryan Leaf and JaMarcus Russell were busts.

At least you are upping your game in creative ways no one else could devise: "Last year's class was low rated because we did not sign a QB"; if only we could have grabbed a Cameron Allerheiligen or a Javelle Allen in the spring - we would have been Top 20.

But you also love to point to grabs like Tate, Modster, and Eletise of this staff's prowess on the recruiting trail... If you had a shred of objectivity and credibility, you should instead reply with "let's not get too excited until these guys are on campus and see how they perform". But credibility and objectivity are not requirements for being head of the cheerleading squad.

This staff can flat out coach, that is not debatable - but if they are going to coach a conference champion, the talent in the program needs to be upgraded. Last year was a special year where the team over-achieved. They magically won the south, but also were 39 points shy of a conference championship. Talent eventually a catches up with you.

Our first Final 4 under Lute came with a PG who had no other offers, and a local Tucson kid. By your rationale, that should be the formula that Miller needs to follow to get to his first Final 4.
Last edited by Harvey Specter on Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Go back and look at every recruiting class Rich Rod has recruited at Arizona and he has always offered many guys that are highly ranked. He has been close on guys like Khalil, tabor, etc who had big time offers and we pursed hard. Some act like Rich Rod doesn't want highly ranked guys, well if that was true why do we always offer so many of them and pursue them so hard.

Look at our our elite guard from Hawaii this year, I think Matty d tweeted a million #teamaloha tweets. Rich rod wants highly ranked recruits and in 2014 we got them and now in this class we are getting them which is great to see. I get we will never be USC who wakes up every year with a top ten class without needing to do much, but no reason we shouldn't bring in classes like this year every year especially with Lowell Stevens built and rich rod making us a consistent winner. I think we can be a TCU type program under rich rod but we need to keep improving the talent on our team especially playing in our tough division.

I look at a guy like Cayleb Jones, five star recruit who can do things Nate Phillips, two star, never could do like get that onside kick against USC and make that catch against Boise state. Those two plays almost helped us win those games and they were made on pure talent and unreal athletic ability. I love guys like Nate Phillips but guys like jones can make big time plays in big time games. To make a rose bowl we need guys like Jones

Back to topic, would love a shut down corner too, is Lucas our top get there? Love to get some Phoenix recruits in this class
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I know RR has said he doesn't need a full class of 4 or 5 star guys, just a few of them along with guys who fit the system to get AZ at a high level.

I really think we will see more of this years type of class than say last years going forward.

As for Phoenix I think Lucas is our best chance but I think that would be the rabbit we pulled out of the hat. I can tell you Newport that RR and staff have made strides in Phoenix with the HS coaches but it is still a tough pull for both schools on those top guys.

They just had 2 corners in this week, Elijah Battle and Burgess(one a JUCO, the other a 3 star from Cali). I have no idea if either is that type of corner but they like both. With the greyshirts (I think 2 from last year as they moved Flanagan up to fall camp) they don't have alot of room and are waiting on some really top tier kids. Should be a fun close. Winning as always might tip a few scales
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

I mean if we're pining for ridiculous talent our likely 2 starting corners this year, Denson and Neal, sure are that. Both were either equal to or higher ranked than Lucas and they both have multiple years left.
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

Newportcat wrote:Go back and look at every recruiting class Rich Rod has recruited at Arizona and he has always offered many guys that are highly ranked. He has been close on guys like Khalil, tabor, etc who had big time offers and we pursed hard. Some act like Rich Rod doesn't want highly ranked guys, well if that was true why do we always offer so many of them and pursue them so hard.
At AZ, RR/Staff - a third or more of offers made (known) are to 4/5 star recruits. So far this 2016 class is running at 45% 4/5 star recruits offered
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Rich Rod on 2016 recruiting class
cat77

Post by cat77 »

Chicat wrote:I think practicing in the heat has it's advantages as far as stamina.
This is what Parks was saying on the Rome show. He said practice in the heat is no fun at all but in games come the 4th quarter the other team is sucking wind and our team is still fresh wanting to run plays faster and faster. And as a fan I think we have seen that. I'm never worried about our guys running out of gas late.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

Particularly on defense. Casteel likes to really turn on the pressure in the fourth quarter. We've seen it in offense but if the game is at all in doubt in the fourth, watch how aggressive the defense gets.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Well I am concerned about running out of gas at the beginning of games like Oregon last year, ASU year before, UCLA year before that. I hear all this talk about how well conditioned we are and then we have these games under Rich Rod where we get blasted and look tired, lethargic, etc. Maybe more of a depth/talent issue but still the practicing in heat is great discussion is funny because not like its ever helped us get to a rose bowl.

Back to recruiting, seems like LB is a position of not great need this year based on offer lists and who we are targeting which is surprising to me considering we only took one LB last year. I would like to see us get that JUCO LB AJ but honestly who are our LB targets other then him? Seems like we should target at least 3 high school LB's in this class
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

Newportcat wrote:Well I am concerned about running out of gas at the beginning of games like Oregon last year, ASU year before, UCLA year before that. I hear all this talk about how well conditioned we are and then we have these games under Rich Rod where we get blasted and look tired, lethargic, etc. Maybe more of a depth/talent issue but still the practicing in heat is great discussion is funny because not like its ever helped us get to a rose bowl.

Back to recruiting, seems like LB is a position of not great need this year based on offer lists and who we are targeting which is surprising to me considering we only took one LB last year. I would like to see us get that JUCO LB AJ but honestly who are our LB targets other then him? Seems like we should target at least 3 high school LB's in this class
Kahi Neves.
TuiTouchdown

Post by TuiTouchdown »

catinfl wrote:
Newportcat wrote:Well I am concerned about running out of gas at the beginning of games like Oregon last year, ASU year before, UCLA year before that. I hear all this talk about how well conditioned we are and then we have these games under Rich Rod where we get blasted and look tired, lethargic, etc. Maybe more of a depth/talent issue but still the practicing in heat is great discussion is funny because not like its ever helped us get to a rose bowl.

Kahi Neves.
How confident do you feel we land him, CatinFL?
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

TuiTouchdown wrote:
catinfl wrote:

Kahi Neves.
Not confident, but they want him.
TuiTouchdown

Post by TuiTouchdown »

catinfl wrote:
TuiTouchdown wrote:
Not confident, but they want him.
Yeah that's what I figured... It'd be an awesome get though.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

I just read that he's on his 6th school and hasnt started his senior year of HS?
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

MrBug708 wrote:I just read that he's on his 6th school and hasnt started his senior year of HS?
That's weird. All I know is that he knows Scooby some how and he's helping recruit him to us. He's a legacy at Utah which is hard to de-commit from and I don't know how bad he wants to play QB, but apparently he has great potential at LB and was very good in his first year playing defense last year
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

http://www.sltrib.com/home/2644009-155/ ... ring-again

The article is from June and it looks like it involves a lot of moving in and out of states
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

Sounds like playing QB is really important to Neves who was struggling to start at QB at those high schools. If transferring to AZ means his dream to play QB is over, we might not have a chance since Utah is telling him he can QB there.
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

UALoco wrote:Sounds like playing QB is really important to Neves who was struggling to start at QB at those high schools. If transferring to AZ means his dream to play QB is over, we might not have a chance since Utah is telling him he can QB there.
Utah just accepted a commit at QB so that might help
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I think if he flips it would be an eleventh hour thing unless this recent wigning of a QB by Utah is a forbodding and they know he will flip

I think we want him as a LB and have told him so
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Anyone other then him we have been targeting at LB?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Newportcat wrote:Anyone other then him we have been targeting at LB?
You act like we're dying for LB depth next season. The only major contributor at the position who likely won't be back next year is Scooby. Deandre Miller, Jake Matthews, Derrick Turituri, Cody Ippolito will all be back next year, plus Cobb, Ware, Franklin, and Colacion are in the mix. Sounds like if we land Evan Weaver he'd be flexible enough to play LB as well. I don't think adding a JUCO LB makes much sense with the seniority we already have with this unit following this upcoming season. I'm all about Kahi Neves if he wants to come though.

On a side note it does look like we offered a guy who is currently a Virginia LB commit just last night, so maybe there's a connection there?
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Thinking more long term, we only took 2 LB's in 2014, 1 last year and have 1 commit this year. We are fine this year and next but then things could get thin so expected with this class we would land at least 3 LB's to build for the future.

I do agree though that a JUCO LB doesn't make as much sense as JUCO DE's and Safety's made
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Don't forget John Kenny, former Iowa LB/FB will be available next season. Gonna be pretty crowded at LB in 2016.
TuiTouchdown

Post by TuiTouchdown »

Merkin wrote:Don't forget John Kenny, former Iowa LB/FB will be available next season. Gonna be pretty crowded at LB in 2016.
Man, I forgot about him. Yeah, I'm not worried about depth at LB. Now, if for whatever reason Scooby decides to come back...
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Merkin wrote:Don't forget John Kenny, former Iowa LB/FB will be available next season. Gonna be pretty crowded at LB in 2016.
Whats funny is I just read this article below and thought the same thing, great depth in 2015 and 2016 but I am a believer in having balanced recruiting classes given how many kids drop out, don't pan out, etc. If you can try and get a QB every year, 2 RB's, 3 WR's, 5 OL, 4 DL, 3 LB, and 4 CB's. and with your extra spots get a couple more skill guys. I remember one year where we didn't taken any OL, think it was like 2007 and it came back to bite us in 2011 when we had a very young OL with no seniors.

Given we only took 1 LB last year, hopefully we end up with more then that this year.

http://zonazealots.com/2015/08/03/forme ... a-wildcat/
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

TuiTouchdown wrote:
Man, I forgot about him. Yeah, I'm not worried about depth at LB. Now, if for whatever reason Scooby decides to come back...
I would want nothing more then for Scobby to come back, highly highly doubtful though
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I doubt it too. A body can only take so many hits.