Why can't we consistently fill AZ Stadium?

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

azgreg

Re: Why can't we consistently fill AZ Stadium?

Post by azgreg »

PHXCATS wrote:
azgreg wrote:All those games are played in their own time zone. Most are at home.
What does that even mean? Texas does not play at 9am Central (Texas) time. Does Arizona not play in their own time zone and at home 2 of the 3 OOC?

Local times for each school of the times Merkin noted

Bama 7pm 2:30pm 6pm
Texas 11am 7pm 7pm
Michigan 7:30pm noon 3:30pm
Ohio State 12:30pm 3:30om 8pm
I misunderstood the previous comment.
prh

Post by prh »

Sumlin's been clear that they have to make a product worthy of showing up. Funny how he understands economics. Funny how you keep having stupid takes. Funny that we let you stick around.

Actually that last one isn't funny.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

prh wrote:Sumlin's been clear that they have to make a product worthy of showing up. Funny how he understands economics. Funny how you keep having stupid takes. Funny that we let you stick around.

Actually that last one isn't funny.
Oh I am so grateful to you
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

You should be Machina, you've been dancing that ban hammer line for years.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

oK that's enough, let's move the topic to useful discussion and away from ad hominem
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Looking at the website, looks like every section has hundreds of empty seats except the end zone seats. Really hoping for a strong walk up crowd but I would not expect it at this time. Come on Arizona we can do better than this.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

PHXCATS wrote:Looking at the website, looks like every every section has hundreds of empty seats except the end zone seats. Really hoping for a strong walk up crowd but I would not expect it at this time. Come on Arizona we can do better than this.
Why don't you do your part and buy all the empty seats and give them to under priviledged local families then?
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

ASUHATER! wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:Looking at the website, looks like every every section has hundreds of empty seats except the end zone seats. Really hoping for a strong walk up crowd but I would not expect it at this time. Come on Arizona we can do better than this.
Why don't you do your part and buy all the empty seats and give them to under priviledged local families then?
He did request the BYU tix that he won in the giveaway be donated. That was pretty generous of him.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

https://www.wsj.com/articles/college-fo ... 1535634001" target="_blank

Article about declining attendance across the board in college football and how most schools severely inflate attendance. It isn't just a "bad Tucson fan" problem. It's a nationwide every college football program problem.

PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

"It is okay we suck really bad because everyone else is declining slightly." Terd fans aka asuhater
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

PHXCATS wrote:"It is okay we suck really bad because everyone else is declining slightly." Terd fans aka asuhater
Our attendance issues are no worse than anyone else's, and probably better than most.

UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

PHXCATS wrote:"It is okay we suck really bad because everyone else is declining slightly." Terd fans aka asuhater
:roll: :roll: :roll:
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Stanford dropped their football stadium from 89,000 to 50,400. Even with a winning program, it still can't sell out.

Only 23 out of the 130 Div I athletic departments don't need subsidies from the school or state with football obviously being the most expensive program due to all the personal required.

Also the most lucrative,if you can get the money. UK makes more from football than basketball.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

PieceOfMeat wrote:oK that's enough, let's move the topic to useful discussion and away from ad hominem
Ahem....
Sigh....

So you didn't read the article and don't care about facts.

PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

I do care about facts. The facts are that fans are willing to spend money on watching a practice for basketball but cant make it out to a game. Arizona has the potential to be a really good fan base for all sports. But Arizona chooses not to be for the most part.

From the article, it says actual ticket scans was 172,446 for the year. So that is 28,741 per game. That is really bad. Without accounting for the people traveling from Phoenix or Yuma or wherever and traveling fans, that is less than 3% of the population of Metro Tucson.

So there are three school in the PAC-12 that have no pro sports in town or close to the area (not counting Oregon since they sell out every game). Arizona, Oregon State and Washington State

I took the population of the metro area of Tucson and it was less than 3% that go to a game on average. For Oregon State I took Salem and Corvallis metro population and it was 4.8% using the same metric and Washington State was 4.1% with the same using metro population of Spokane and Pullman
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Well, why don’t you cry about it?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

PHXCATS wrote:I do care about facts. The facts are that fans are willing to spend money on watching a practice for basketball but cant make it out to a game. Arizona has the potential to be a really good fan base for all sports. But Arizona chooses not to be for the most part.

From the article, it says actual ticket scans was 172,446 for the year. So that is 28,741 per game. That is really bad. Without accounting for the people traveling from Phoenix or Yuma or wherever and traveling fans, that is less than 3% of the population of Metro Tucson.

So there are three school in the PAC-12 that have no pro sports in town or close to the area (not counting Oregon since they sell out every game). Arizona, Oregon State and Washington State

I took the population of the metro area of Tucson and it was less than 3% that go to a game on average. For Oregon State I took Salem and Corvallis metro population and it was 4.8% using the same metric and Washington State was 4.1% with the same using metro population of Spokane and Pullman
Fans aren't allowed like certain sports over others? If someone really likes bball and goes to all the games they are 'bad fans' if they don't also support football? People have different interests. Doesn't make them any better or worse. You're being ridiculous.
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

PHXCATS wrote:I do care about facts. The facts are that fans are willing to spend money on watching a practice for basketball but cant make it out to a game. Arizona has the potential to be a really good fan base for all sports. But Arizona chooses not to be for the most part.

Please stop saying this is a fact. This is an assumption you are making, it is not a fact.
The facts are that fans are willing to spend money on watching a practice for basketball but cant make it out to a game.
You have no idea that those fans attending the Red and Blue game are not also going to Arizona football games. Show me an article or something that states that with facts included (ie Athletic department looked up names and say these people attended the Red and Blue game but there name does not show up buying a football ticket) before throwing out this terrible assumption again. So damn frustrating

Facts are not assumptions. This is really important in life to know
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
prh

Post by prh »

I guess today I learned that $7 tickets to Red-Blue are equivalent to $35 tickets to a football game.

Not to mention the fact that there's only 15k of $7 tickets and far more $35 tickets.

Or that a 4 hour football game at 7:45pm is equally as convenient as a noon 2-hour game.

Lastly, as someone originally from Oregon, both OSU and OU draw from population all the way up to Portland and all the way down to Medford-- yes, for game days. I-5 is an absolute mess on days they're both at home.
prh

Post by prh »

PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Not good enough - machina

PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

PieceOfMeat wrote:Not good enough - machina
You are right but there is progress so that is good
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

machina really enjoys this back and forth and elevating himself to a mythical caricature of the worst of all sports fans.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

PHXCATS wrote:
A 15% increase year over year isn’t good enough?

I’m not sure what your line of work is, but I’m guessing it’s not sales.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
prh

Post by prh »

Chicat wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:

He could just be a really poor salesman
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Chicat wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:

No shit. We posted a 14.77% yoy growth in one of our most important metrics and everyone was falling 9ver themselves ecstatic.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

scumdevils86 wrote:
Chicat wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:

No shit. We posted a 14.77% yoy growth in one of our most important metrics and everyone was falling 9ver themselves ecstatic.
I didn’t even mention that we were down 10% the prior year.

So to be up 5% over 2 years after being down double digits? That’s fairly incredible.

Add to that the increased revenue from the improvements to the gameday experience (beer!) and you’ve got a turnaround any CEO would leverage into an expanded golden parachute.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Better schedule, beer or Sumlin?
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

azcat49 wrote:Better schedule, beer or Sumlin?
I'd imagine it's a bit of all three. Oh and Tate.

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

PieceOfMeat wrote:
azcat49 wrote:Better schedule, beer or Sumlin?
I'd imagine it's a bit of all three. Oh and Tate.
Sumlin for sure. When Tate was the most exciting player last season in the month of October and the Cats went undefeated, they still couldn't sell out.

Only 42,822 showed up for a game at 6:30 against #15 WSU even after Tate won all those Player of the Week awards and UA was 5-2.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I'm sure this is like the many people who bought basketball season tickets in Lute's first and second year. If you want to lock in those good seats, get them now. Because if we kick ass this year, and Sumlin's recruiting takes off, anyone who waited will be on the outside looking in (possibly literally).
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

BYU fans making more noise than UA fans. Tucson should be very ashamed
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

PHXCATS wrote:BYU fans making more noise than UA fans. Tucson should be very ashamed
Fuck off already.

whatisee

Post by whatisee »

PHXCATS wrote:BYU fans making more noise than UA fans. Tucson should be very ashamed
your mom makes a lot of noise
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

:lol:
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Ah yep, this is why I don't buy tickets but once every year or two. Because I'm constantly disappointed and AZ football consistently sucks ass. I will not spend my money on this garbage.
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

I'm regretting buying season tickets. I'd rather be disappointed in the comfort of home than disappointed at the stadium.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Performances like tonight by the team are why we have attendance struggles.

ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

We broke 50k tonight and it may not happen again in the next decade.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

yup. attendance won't recover this season. for good reason. no one should have to be forced by machina to spend their hard earned money on this garbage.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

I was about to buy tickets to the Oregon or Cal or Colorado game this week but I held off pending the outcome of this game. Sure glad I didn't. I will not buy any tickets now this season. I'll reevaluate next August.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

I think we can lock this thread now. The question has been definitively answered.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

After we lose to Houston, I doubt more than 30k show up for Southern Utah.

UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

Well, just made plans for afternoon/evening of the 29th. Anyone need a pair of tix for the SC game? Sec 31.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I’m sure that had nothing to do with the results on the field and everything to do with our fans not living up to the example you set for them.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

8pm local kickoff for Florida State when most fans have work or school the next day. Full stadium making tons of noise
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I wonder what are some of the other differences between Florida St football and Arizona football.
prh

Post by prh »

azgreg wrote:I wonder what are some of the other differences between Florida St football and Arizona football.
It’s almost like winning a title recently causes people to show up. What a fucking shocker.