2016 Recruit/Commitment Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

catinfl

Re: 2016 Recruit/Commitment Thread

Post by catinfl »

Cody Martin tweeted that N'Keal Harry was on campus today.
Scummy Dick Douglas

Post by Scummy Dick Douglas »

catinfl wrote:Cody Martin tweeted that N'Keal Harry was on campus today.
Doesn't his GF go to school there? Maybe his sister? I thought I read he was close with someone at UA.
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

Scummy Dick Douglas wrote:
Doesn't his GF go to school there? Maybe his sister? I thought I read he was close with someone at UA.
Don't think that's the reason he's visiting, but possibly. Kid has at least some interest in UA and has visited multiple times.
Scummy Dick Douglas

Post by Scummy Dick Douglas »

catinfl wrote:
Scummy Dick Douglas wrote:
Don't think that's the reason he's visiting, but possibly. Kid has at least some interest in UA and has visited multiple times.
I don't think thats the reason he is visiting either (he clearly is interested in UA). I was more or less asking if you knew that info to be true. I read it somewhere, just seeing if you could verify a relationship he might have already on campus.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Aren't we looking at a likely commitment today?
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

ChooChooCat wrote:Aren't we looking at a likely commitment today?
Bryson Cain
threenumberones

Post by threenumberones »

Can never get enough of the big uglies. And personally I put a lot of weight behind that West Point offer: OKG.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

catinfl wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:Aren't we looking at a likely commitment today?
Bryson Cain
It's official now
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I’m too slender right now and I definitely need to add good weight, but coaches tell me that I have the kind of frame that will be able to put on weight.

So a normal big ugly redshirt then?
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

I had this in the wrong thread though I am following Chris Carter's advice - it was Scummy dick's fault. He's my designated fall guy.

Devon Modster article at Campus Sports.

Arizona has been waiting on a player like Modster to come around for quite some time, and he left the fan base a very short and to the point message in closing.

“You are going to get a quarterback who will win at all cost, and a person who won’t be stuck up and arrogant when someone talks to me.”

Assuming he continues working hard on his game, there is nothing holding him back from becoming a future star. He has every physical asset needed to become a very special quarterback and the Wildcats are lucky enough to have him as one of the cornerstones for their future.
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

Scummy Dick Douglas wrote: I don't think thats the reason he is visiting either (he clearly is interested in UA). I was more or less asking if you knew that info to be true. I read it somewhere, just seeing if you could verify a relationship he might have already on campus.
Believe it's girlfriend. At least that's what he seems to call her in his twitter. Her profile says she's a UofA track athlete but I don't see her on a roster or bio. Maybe new incoming freshman
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

I had wondered why Cain had not committed, seemed like a lock for us. Can never have enough big uglies up front and for our offense I especially like the guys like Cain who are good athletes that we can bulk up to play OL for us. With our schemes, we do not need the 350LBS linemen. This guy ran a 5.04 Forty and had a 4.78 shuttle time, for a 6'5 265 LBS OL that is quick

Outside of matt gutwald, we on any other OL recruits? I dont think so and figured with this class we would take at least two Tackles especially now that Poland crapped out. I guess technically Walker and Sherman are now 2016 recruits so there are two tackles there

Good pick up and look at us picking up all the SoCal recruits!
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
Catstatic

Post by Catstatic »

Watched some video on Cain. This guy has great technique, very quick feet, athleticism jumps off the screen, and absolutely pile drives defensive linemen. He gets so low when he's run blocking that most of those guys didn't have a chance. Looking at tape I assumed he was in the 6'2 to 6'3 range. 6'5 and 270? This kid could be something very special at U of A. Though I know nothing about the rankings, 3 star seems low to me. For his size, his technique and speed are incredible.

Welcome to Arizona, Mr. Cain!!

Go Cats!!
Folesfor10K

Post by Folesfor10K »

RazorsEdgeAZ wrote:
Scummy Dick Douglas wrote: I don't think thats the reason he is visiting either (he clearly is interested in UA). I was more or less asking if you knew that info to be true. I read it somewhere, just seeing if you could verify a relationship he might have already on campus.
Believe it's girlfriend. At least that's what he seems to call her in his twitter. Her profile says she's a UofA track athlete but I don't see her on a roster or bio. Maybe new incoming freshman
That would make some sense, she must be an incoming freshman. I hope those two are in love and still together come February!
Why is fast food healthy? Why do skinny people have SLOW metabolisms? Check out my nutrition blog for a fresh, new perspective on nutrition.

My two favorite teams:
1. U of A
2. Whoever plays ASU this week
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Welcome Bryson!
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

What do we know about this kid: ex-USC commit?
As Irish247 has mentioned for quite some time, Notre Dame is a big player for Lancaster (Calif.) Paraclete four-star all-purpose back Melquise Stovall.

Now, the Fighting Irish coaching staff is going to get a major crack at the former USC commit when he arrives on campus for an official visit during the Notre Dame-Texas game on Sept. 5.

The 5-8, 180-pounder first committed to the Trojans back on Apr. 17, but decided to pursue other opportunities and decommitted on Aug. 8. At that point, Irish247 reported that his recruitment will likely come down to Notre Dame, Cal, Arizona, Oregon State or North Carolina. That remains the same today and all five schools are in the mix.

Stovall is one of the most electric athletes in the country and will play in the U.S. Army All-American Bowl in January. During that trip to San Antonio, Stovall will announce his commitment.

Per 247Sports, Stovall is the No. 104 overall player in the country, No. 3 all-purpose back in the nation and No. 12 recruit in California from the class of 2016.
http://notredame.247sports.com/Bolt/Big ... =CBSSPORTS
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

He's a pretty great player. Wants to play the slot
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

MrBug708 wrote:He's a pretty great player. Wants to play the slot
and RR would certainly let him
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

MrBug708 wrote:He's a pretty great player. Wants to play the slot
Yep.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2543 ... whats-next

"They wanted to use me 99 percent of the time at running back, and that's not what I wanted," Stovall said. "I thought we had an understanding of me playing running back and slot [receiver]. I guess things change."
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Scottsdale Saguaro vs. Peoria Centennial on Cox 7 right now if anyone needs a football fix and wants to see some potential recruits.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

UAEebs86 wrote:Scottsdale Saguaro vs. Peoria Centennial on Cox 7 right now if anyone needs a football fix and wants to see some potential recruits.
Kayden Lyles is a want.
HaCats

Post by HaCats »

great article on Harry on azcentral this morning, will try and find it and come back and post the link. It sounds like the relationship with his girlfriend, who is the UofA connect that has been mentioned here, is fairly significant. One can only hope......
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

HaCats wrote:great article on Harry on azcentral this morning, will try and find it and come back and post the link. It sounds like the relationship with his girlfriend, who is the UofA connect that has been mentioned here, is fairly significant. One can only hope......
They need to date until February.
azthrillhouse

Post by azthrillhouse »

Here's the link:

http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/h ... /32445399/

But it’s not just sports that have kept him grounded. He goes to church on Sundays with his girlfriend and her family.

“The boy walked down the aisle and joined the church,” Terry Patton said. “That’s another amazing part of his journey."

Terry Patton - his girlfriend's dad
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

I believe this will give him three years to play:
-JB
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

I thought these were pretty interesting given the ongoing debate regarding the value of recruiting rankings and stars. From our very own fearless leader . . .
Folesfor10K

Post by Folesfor10K »

We made Byron Murphy's top 8. Would LOVE to land this kid. Between him and the interest from nkeal harry and Chase Lucas maybe we're finally making some inroads with Saguaro and Chandler?

http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/h ... /71507882/

I thought we might have a leg up on recruiting Murphy because his uncle is Mike Bibby so you would have to think U of A had at least some appeal to him growing up because of that.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/h ... /10396721/

Of course apparently we're not recruiting Bibby's kid for basketball and sounds like there may be some hard feelings towards U of A from dad Bibby, so maybe this actually hurts us in landing Murphy now?

http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/h ... /71132680/
Why is fast food healthy? Why do skinny people have SLOW metabolisms? Check out my nutrition blog for a fresh, new perspective on nutrition.

My two favorite teams:
1. U of A
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

The next Saguaro kid we land since Todd Graham has been at ASU will be the first. We put our chips in the Chapparral bucket and ASU put there's in Saguaro. N'Keal Harry or bust.
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

ChooChooCat wrote:The next Saguaro kid we land since Todd Graham has been at ASU will be the first. We put our chips in the Chapparral bucket and ASU put there's in Saguaro. N'Keal Harry or bust.
It's not just Todd Graham. It's Saguaro in general always been a problem. Just like we'll never get a kid from Hamilton they'll never get a kid from Salpointe.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

catinfl wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:The next Saguaro kid we land since Todd Graham has been at ASU will be the first. We put our chips in the Chapparral bucket and ASU put there's in Saguaro. N'Keal Harry or bust.
It's not just Todd Graham. It's Saguaro in general always been a problem. Just like we'll never get a kid from Hamilton they'll never get a kid from Salpointe.
Fair point, but hiring the old Saguaro coach sure didn't hurt ASU's cause.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Wow color me surprised that rich Rod would say that

Goes against what a lot of people here would think
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

Newportcat wrote:Wow color me surprised that rich Rod would say that

Goes against what a lot of people here would think
He said for the most part and I believe that too. He said the discrepancy comes from 2-3*'s that are being overlooked.
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

Liked what Rich Rod said about recruiting rankings. More because he didn't avoid the question.

The question that led to his recruiting rankings answer came from ESPN's Tom VanHaaren. Who prefaced question that Rich Rod doesn't buy into recruiting rankings and that AZ is is among some other top25 teams that seems to find some success with lower ranked guys. VanHaaren described them as "OKGs". Rich Rod added to quotes already posted, that yes recruits need to have talent, skill and speed regardless of number of stars and that a very important piece is beyond that is recruits have a desire to get better regardless of their services rating, and put in the work once they get into college.

Here's another piece of his quote on rankings accuracy:
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

Well what do ya know. 4 & 5 stars for the most part are the real deal, right from the big dawg's mouth.

If I hadn't seen it with my own eyes in print I'm not sure I would have believed it with RR legacy of recruiting.

I know for a fact that you could have never got anyone here to believe it was ever said, much-less written.

The part about 2 & 3 stars is very true, thats where a school like the UofA can make its evaluation money.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

RazorsEdgeAZ wrote:Liked what Rich Rod said about recruiting rankings. More because he didn't avoid the question.

The question that led to his recruiting rankings answer came from ESPN's Tom VanHaaren. Who prefaced question that Rich Rod doesn't buy into recruiting rankings and that AZ is is among some other top25 teams that seems to find some success with lower ranked guys. VanHaaren described them as "OKGs". Rich Rod added to quotes already posted, that yes recruits need to have talent, skill and speed regardless of number of stars and that a very important piece is beyond that is recruits have a desire to get better regardless of their services rating, and put in the work once they get into college.

That quote can't be accurate. Reydituto (and a few other board geniuses) lectured me last year for weeks on end that RRod doesn't believe or use Player Rankings/Star systems. Rey can't be wrong!!!

Thanks for posting this.....it just proves that many of the so called "insiders" or posters that claim to be knowledgeable regarding the program don't know Shyte.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

dmjcat wrote:
RazorsEdgeAZ wrote:Liked what Rich Rod said about recruiting rankings. More because he didn't avoid the question.

That quote can't be accurate. Reydituto (and a few other board geniuses) lectured me last year for weeks on end that RRod doesn't believe or use Player Rankings/Star systems. Rey can't be wrong!!!

Thanks for posting this.....it just proves that many of the so called "insiders" or posters that claim to be knowledgeable regarding the program don't know Shyte.
Could not agree more. Its literally a slap into the face for many posters here regarding football recruiting. I never laughed so hard when I read that. Now if only Rich Rod would come out and say how great an indoor practice facility would be for us like he told me in person, I would feel 100% vindication.

I still am shocked Rich Rod out of all coaches said that. I dont think Nick Saban would even say that.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

All coaches use recruiting services. They don't have the time to scout all of these kids.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

No shit Roch Rod wants an indoor facility, why wouldn't he? You're vindicated due to common sense Newport, congratulations. Anybody got $15 million plus to give Rich one?
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

"Notes disparity is usually with 2-3 stars being overlooked."

This is the point all of you selective reading star-gazers seem to have missed. You guys bitch about the lowly ranked 2-3 stars and OKGs all the time saying the program will never arrive until it pulls 4-5 star heavy classes. Yeah, the rankings are pretty accurate when it comes to 4-5 stars. No shit. RR is also clearly pointing out that the ranking services miss on a lot of 2-3 stars that are overlooked. That's why many posters are willing let the staff rely on their own evaluations.

The fact that RR gives the services credit for getting the obvious 4-5 stars right neither vindicates nor slaps anyone in the face. He still points out that they under-value, overlook and miss on plenty of good players. I don't recall any poster ever saying they wouldn't take a class full of 4-5 stars. Neither did RR. No kidding.
Folesfor10K

Post by Folesfor10K »

I like stars...

My two favorite teams:
1. U of A
Catstatic

Post by Catstatic »

BearDown89 wrote:"Notes disparity is usually with 2-3 stars being overlooked."

This is the point all of you selective reading star-gazers seem to have missed. You guys bitch about the lowly ranked 2-3 stars and OKGs all the time saying the program will never arrive until it pulls 4-5 star heavy classes. Yeah, the rankings are pretty accurate when it comes to 4-5 stars. No shit. RR is also clearly pointing out that the ranking services miss on a lot of 2-3 stars that are overlooked. That's why many posters are willing let the staff rely on their own evaluations.

The fact that RR gives the services credit for getting the obvious 4-5 stars right neither vindicates nor slaps anyone in the face. He still points out that they under-value, overlook and miss on plenty of good players. I don't recall any poster ever saying they wouldn't take a class full of 4-5 stars. Neither did RR. No kidding.
Exactly. What seems to separate RR from most is his ability to find those underrated 2-3 stars, develop them into key contributors, and put a very competitive team on the field. Imagine what he could do with a team filled with 4 & 5 stars. Maybe we will find out someday. Regardless, he puts an entertaining team on the field each and every year.

Go Cats!!
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

How many two stars are starting for you guys this year?
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

MrBug708 wrote:How many two stars are starting for you guys this year?
2 i believe

Scoobie and Nate Philips who everyone seems to be sleeping on for some reason
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

whatisee wrote:
2 i believe

Sammy Morrison, Jamar Allah, and Derrick Turituri as well.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

And Carter Hehr who will play alot is a walk in who just earned a schollie
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

Personally I don't care if it's a 2,3,4 star contributing or starting for AZ. I already know AZ can be competitive. At this point in my Fandom, I more interested in the Rose Bowl/ Pac12 Championship results. Not perennial Rose Bowl appearances, just one. Personally, don't expect AZ to be a perennial RB team, ever. They can prove me wrong, would be ecstatic with this.

So far, AZ hasn't ever produced any of these. Until they do, personally it' too obvious and too difficult for me to ignore the Oregons, Stanfords, USCs and their recruiting class rankings. Or out of conference, the schools that have perennial top 10 classes and their results. Does anyone think those other coaches do better evaluating or developing recruits than RR/staff and get results they do by leaps and bounds and get to the RB or get championships? Doesn't it make sense they just have more talented recruits? Certainly don't think they can out-coach RR and staff. Especially the schools I listed have had multiple coaches and still went back to the RB or other. They all do better at evaluating? I personally don't believe that.

I certainly don't think those school's coaches do a better job of evaluating and developing recruits than RR and staff and achieve the results they do. It's great that AZ can find a 2 star nugget and develop. I'm cool with that. Can AZ do that and get to RB please...

Personally, feel it's about depth and not the here and there recruits that thrive that will get AZ to RB. RR has said it, would like more depth at more positions. Which tells me some recruits they evaluated not making the cut. Happens at every school. Another way, would some of the 2/3 stars mentioned that are starting be starting for other Pac12 team favorites this year? Who knows, maybe, maybe not.

Impressed that Nate Phillips a 2 star thrives in the Offense. It's a great offense. Proud I can brag about Scooby to friends. Others listed are playing for a defense that still has to prove itself. Without Scooby not sure what it would look like. Those 2/3 stars mentioned until this season (except Morrison) have played for a defense that finished closer to the bottom in FBS in some categories, Bottom half in other categories. Near the last in Pac12 in many categories. Not that impressed with that. Still a fan of theirs. Happy they're making most of their opportunities. But that's a different topic.

We'll see what happens this season.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
whatisee wrote:
2 i believe

So 5 starters?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

MrBug708 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
whatisee wrote:
2 i believe

So 5 starters?
That Westwood education of yours sure came in handy for this one didn't it?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
whatisee wrote:
2 i believe

Also, Jake Matthews, Sir Thomas Jackson, and Parker Zellers on the two deep are all former starters and walk ons.

de Beer on the two deep is a zero star, played rugby and throws for the track team.
-JB