Arizona Coaching Search

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Bangkok Wildcat

Re: Arizona Coaching Search

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

prh wrote:Love Bear Down Gym, bummed they had to turn it into offices/academic but I understand why. Cool thing, I played in the last (intramural) basketball game played there before it converted.
Wow, I didn’t know that prh. Thanks.

I played there in my first and only full court pickup basketball game in around ‘86.....After a few up and down the courts I quickly realized that this was nothing like the half court game I played in my fraternity, lmao. After that experience I had a whole lot more respect for the conditioning of hoops players.

Sorry, back to the topic....I really hope we can get Sumlin!
UofAlum05

Post by UofAlum05 »

Machina is excited and wants the same thing we all want. Lets just all be on the same team and pray for whats best for Arizona Football in this thread.
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

UofAlum05 wrote:Please don't make the mistake as my 2nd favorite college football program East Carolina.

East Carolina fired Ruffin McNeil 2 seasons ago. I still don't agree with it but fine the AD and Ruff didn't see eye to eye. (I love Ruff and miss that guy every day. Congrats OU, you've got a hell of an associate head coach).

So ECU went out and soon you started hearing that a deal with Brady Hoke was close to done. Say what you will about Hoke at Michigan but I actually thought it would have been a good hire for ECU considering what Hoke did at SDSU. For days this went on and us ECU fans kept hearing that they were falling just short on money for assistant coaches. I kept telling myself that that ECU would find the money somehow and make the hire happen.

Well long story short the money didn't happen. ECU went on the cheap and hired Scottie Montgomery, the OC at Duke. It was sold that although hiring an OC from Duke seemed underwhelming he had a really strong background in the NFL and was seen in coaching circles as an up and coming superstar.

Well, the last 2 seasons at ECU have totally sucked. They went from one of the most exciting teams in college football to just straight up awful. They can't tackle, complete a pass, or do anything right. They are one of the worst teams in college football with really no hope in site. The home atmosphere at ECU went from sold out and electric every Saturday to half filled stadium and dead. All of Eastern North Carolina has suffered economically due to the downtrodden football program.

So yeah, coming up with the money and making the big hire does matter
Yup, as goes ECU so goes every college in need of a coach. LOL
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

Starting to think these OC jobs opening up might be better for him. Take it for a year, get a better paying job. Booooooooooooooooooooooooooooo my thinking
UofAlum05

Post by UofAlum05 »

MrMeow wrote:
UofAlum05 wrote:Please don't make the mistake as my 2nd favorite college football program East Carolina.

East Carolina fired Ruffin McNeil 2 seasons ago. I still don't agree with it but fine the AD and Ruff didn't see eye to eye. (I love Ruff and miss that guy every day. Congrats OU, you've got a hell of an associate head coach).

So ECU went out and soon you started hearing that a deal with Brady Hoke was close to done. Say what you will about Hoke at Michigan but I actually thought it would have been a good hire for ECU considering what Hoke did at SDSU. For days this went on and us ECU fans kept hearing that they were falling just short on money for assistant coaches. I kept telling myself that that ECU would find the money somehow and make the hire happen.

Well long story short the money didn't happen. ECU went on the cheap and hired Scottie Montgomery, the OC at Duke. It was sold that although hiring an OC from Duke seemed underwhelming he had a really strong background in the NFL and was seen in coaching circles as an up and coming superstar.

Well, the last 2 seasons at ECU have totally sucked. They went from one of the most exciting teams in college football to just straight up awful. They can't tackle, complete a pass, or do anything right. They are one of the worst teams in college football with really no hope in site. The home atmosphere at ECU went from sold out and electric every Saturday to half filled stadium and dead. All of Eastern North Carolina has suffered economically due to the downtrodden football program.

Anyone who ever has some slide remark at ECU I usually tell them they should wait to comment until they've actually visited Eastern North Carolina. That entire side of state eat, breathes, and lives Pirate Football. They have one of the best home game experiences I've ever seen. ECU Alum (former Dallas Cowboys Linebacker) Robert Jones ended up having 3 sons play college football. Levi who plays at USC right now, Zay who played at ECU and now starts for the Bills, and our very own Cayleb who played here after Transferring from Texas. He was on National radio yesterday and said that none of those other schools his sons attended can come close to the home game experience and passion of East Carolina. I get why people might snicker but I really encourage people to visit the area/home game before commenting.
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

UofAlum05 wrote:
MrMeow wrote:

Anyone who ever has some slide remark at ECU I usually tell them they should wait to comment until they've actually visited Eastern North Carolina. That entire side of state eat, breathes, and lives Pirate Football. They have one of the best home game experiences I've ever seen. ECU Alum (former Dallas Cowboys Linebacker) Robert Jones ended up having 3 sons play college football. Levi who plays at USC right now, Zay who played at ECU and now starts for the Bills, and our very own Cayleb who played here after Transferring from Texas. He was on National radio yesterday and said that none of those other schools his sons attended can come close to the home game experience and passion of East Carolina. I get why people might snicker but I really encourage people to visit the area/home game before commenting.
Went right over your head and you didn't even see it.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Can someone explain to me how buying tickets right now somehow sends the message we want Sumlin (or anyone else)?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

Chicat wrote:Can someone explain to me how buying tickets right now somehow sends the message we want Sumlin (or anyone else)?
It doesn't. I think what he was trying to say is because he bought buying tickets and donated in years past, he did his part to afford Sumlin this year.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

azgreg wrote:
Never really paid attention to him before, but this coaching search is really making me not like Hansen.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

btfd16 wrote:Never really paid attention to him before, but this coaching search is really making me not like Hansen.
You'd be joining a very large group of people.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

btfd16 wrote:
azgreg wrote:
Never really paid attention to him before, but this coaching search is really making me not like Hansen.
And how did stoops work out as a Non retread up and coming coach. We go with sumlin if you can't the Baldwin if not
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

3goggles wrote:
btfd16 wrote:
azgreg wrote:
And how did stoops work out as a Non retread up and coming coach. We go with sumlin if you can't the Baldwin if not
The point is there is no tried and true formula. Retreads, small school hot shots, hot coordinators, nothing. All you can do is do your due diligence and hope you hire the right guy and everything works out. For the most part Arizona has done a very good job at hiring head coaches in most of it's sports. Football will be there one day.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Hansen wants a young coordinator because they might not already be wise to the “small town sports opinion writer” bullshit he bathes in.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

azgreg wrote:
3goggles wrote:
btfd16 wrote:
azgreg wrote:
The point is there is no tried and true formula. Retreads, small school hot shots, hot coordinators, nothing. All you can do is do your due diligence and hope you hire the right guy and everything works out. For the most part Arizona has done a very good job at hiring head coaches in most of it's sports. Football will be there one day.
I agree you go with who think is the best option regardless of retread or not.
ProfessorFate

Post by ProfessorFate »

UofAlum05 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:I don't think a damn thing has changed since yesterday outside of maybe the Troy coach being out of it. Still trying to work things out with Sumlin and if that doesn't pan out you're looking at the Beau Baldwin era.
Maybe Heeke wants to make the big intro at the basketball game?
That would be funny. I was at the UA vs Houston basketball game in Houston several years ago and at halftime they introduced Sumlin as their new football coach.
Coincidence? :D
2023 Football RAP Champion
2022 Mark Schlabach Memorial Bracket Champion
2017 Bear Down Wildcats Survival Pool Champion
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

azgreg wrote:
btfd16 wrote:Never really paid attention to him before, but this coaching search is really making me not like Hansen.
You'd be joining a very large group of people.
:lol:
UofAlum05

Post by UofAlum05 »

ProfessorFate wrote:
UofAlum05 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:I don't think a damn thing has changed since yesterday outside of maybe the Troy coach being out of it. Still trying to work things out with Sumlin and if that doesn't pan out you're looking at the Beau Baldwin era.
That would be funny. I was at the UA vs Houston basketball game in Houston several years ago and at halftime they introduced Sumlin as their new football coach.
Was that the game where Chase got his face stomped on and Arizona went on a run to win the game?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

azgreg wrote:
3goggles wrote:
btfd16 wrote:
azgreg wrote:
Bill Belichick moved to New England as a retread. Pete Carroll joined USC as a retread.

Of course, plenty of retreads fail hard too. Heeke needs to have the courage to figure out who he believes in, then hire that guy. A big name retread is always safer, but long term success depends on winning, not name. If we learned anything from RichRod, it should be that.
ProfessorFate

Post by ProfessorFate »

UofAlum05 wrote:
ProfessorFate wrote:
UofAlum05 wrote:
Was that the game where Chase got his face stomped on and Arizona went on a run to win the game?
I'm not sure as my memory is getting fuzzy in old age. I remember Kevin O'Neil was the coach (gag) and i think Jerryd Bayless was our best player at the time. I'm pretty sure we won.

What was also funny was before the game, they picked my son to go down and participate in some contest on the court. It wasn't until he got down there that they realized he had on U of A gear (it was red like Houston's). Once they saw that, they told him he couldn't participate and sent him away.

Bastards!
2023 Football RAP Champion
2022 Mark Schlabach Memorial Bracket Champion
2017 Bear Down Wildcats Survival Pool Champion
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

UofAlum05 wrote:
ProfessorFate wrote:
UofAlum05 wrote:
Nope, that face stomp was at Mckale

Also, bring back the cactus!

UofAlum05

Post by UofAlum05 »

RondaeShimmy wrote:
UofAlum05 wrote:
ProfessorFate wrote:
UofAlum05 wrote:
Nope, that face stomp was at Mckale

Also, bring back the cactus!

Oh yeah. Yes to Cactus but I had burned those unis from my memory.
Bangkok Wildcat

Chicat wrote:Hansen wants a young coordinator because they might not already be wise to the “small town sports opinion writer” bullshit he bathes in.
Hey Chi, do people still listen to Hansen? I gave up on him when he was so unprofessional in his feud with Lute way way back.
Macho Grande

Post by Macho Grande »

UAEebs86 wrote:Stop trying to make Fipp happen Pops.

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Bangkok Wildcat wrote:
Chicat wrote:Hansen wants a young coordinator because they might not already be wise to the “small town sports opinion writer” bullshit he bathes in.
Hey Chi, do people still listen to Hansen? I gave up on him when he was so unprofessional in his feud with Lute way way back.
I don’t.

All the new coach needs to do to get Hansen on his side forever is take him golfing and ask him to tell some stories about Utah high school sports.
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

Yeah it's definitely to the point when I should stop caring. I didn't think football would be worth anything but then I had great hope. The combo of the Tate in Tempe injury and what ever that was in the bowl game bummed me. But RR and the situation when it's 2 am at the bar and you'll take whatever you get for a coach is just sad.

Just give it to Yates and see what happens. It's cheaper and keeps things closer to norm. Wasn't in a hurry to blow it up like I was after Stoops bubble Screen madness.
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

I just heard through the rumor mill that SpongeBob SquarePants had interviewed and if hired he's bring Squidward as his OC.
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

Chicat wrote:
Bangkok Wildcat wrote:
I don’t.

All the new coach needs to do to get Hansen on his side forever is take him golfing and ask him to tell some stories about Utah high school sports.

Hanson is a weasel and probably cheats at golf.
Beardown33

Post by Beardown33 »

Has anyone heard from Cordera since the RR firing? I would love his take on the hiring process. If he doesn’t show up again, any thoughts as to whether Cordera may have actually been RR all along?
Bangkok Wildcat

tgrumpy2 wrote:
Chicat wrote:
Bangkok Wildcat wrote:
I don’t.

Hanson is a weasel and probably cheats at golf.
Whatever happened to his son Ben....I liked him at GoAzCats....seemed like a good guy. He has a major illness (stroke?) or something terrible like that. Anyone know how he’s doing or what he’s up to? Thanks.
MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

tgrumpy2 wrote:
Chicat wrote:
Bangkok Wildcat wrote:
I don’t.

Hanson is a weasel and probably cheats at miniature golf.
There I corrected it for you.
No Bandwagon Here! Always a Cat!
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

Beardown33 wrote:Has anyone heard from Cordera since the RR firing? I would love his take on the hiring process. If he doesn’t show up again, any thoughts as to whether Cordera may have actually been RR all along?
Cordera is too challenged to be Rich Rod and has called most everyone here on this board every name in the book at one time or another.

But Cordera and RR do have the same stunningly arrogant type of personality to go along with all the rest of their idiosyncrasies.
jimson

Post by jimson »

Gladiator Cat wrote:
Beardown33 wrote:Has anyone heard from Cordera since the RR firing? I would love his take on the hiring process. If he doesn’t show up again, any thoughts as to whether Cordera may have actually been RR all along?
Cordera is too challenged to be Rich Rod and has called most everyone here on this board every name in the book at one time or another.

But Cordera and RR do have the same stunningly arrogant type of personality to go along with all the rest of their idiosyncrasies.
I for one, think we really need to hear from Cordera before we continue this discussion.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Get Sumlin in Tucson and he'd need only half a season to own Hansen. Publicly.
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

jimson wrote:
Gladiator Cat wrote:

I for one, think we really need to hear from Cordera before we continue this discussion.
Knock yourself out.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

I'm gonna take one for the team and panic now. That should speed up the announcement with my luck.
Last edited by UALoco on Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Isn't there a 10 day hiring window for state jobs? If think the earliest we'd hear something is Friday.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

UALoco wrote:I'm gonna take one for the team and panic now. That should speed up the announcement with my luck.
Only reason I am not is because I think Baldwin is our back up and I can live with HBC Beau Baldwin. Unless there was a mass transfer exodus then I would panic.
prh

Post by prh »

ASUHATER! wrote:Isn't there a 10 day hiring window for state jobs? If think the earliest we'd hear something is Friday.
Rumor was there was a waiver granted. But I think it would leak even if waiting for the 10-day to run out.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

Didn't they get an exception to the 10-day window.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

Scheer and Lev said they took that wording out of the online posting
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

ASUHATER! wrote:Isn't there a 10 day hiring window for state jobs? If think the earliest we'd hear something is Friday.
The second terms are agreed upon we're good. Either way it's only been a week guys. If this goes past Friday then you're free to panic.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

Macho Grande

Post by Macho Grande »

btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

You have got to be fucking me.

EDIT: Actually not this one is not as bad as I first thought. Did not realize who he was at first. Still don't want him.
Last edited by btfd16 on Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

Mike Sanford. Pass
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

We have an AD in over his head.
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

LOL just promote Yates and be done with it. At least the players like him.
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

#FireHeeke
mofo

Post by mofo »

btfd16 wrote:
Maybe that was meant for Scheer’s lover