For the Zona Zoo, stay & stand the entire game

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Irish27

For the Zona Zoo, stay & stand the entire game

Post by Irish27 »

For those that leave early, you might as well not come back and transfer to asu.
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
cats101

Re: For the Zona Zoo, stay & stand the entire game

Post by cats101 »

It's family weekend, which means a lot of students sit with their parents, so it may not be 100% full. Just want to point that out before people complain.
VegasCatFan

Post by VegasCatFan »

cats101 wrote:It's family weekend, which means a lot of students sit with their parents, so it may not be 100% full. Just want to point that out before people complain.
If the game is a sell-out as expected, its going to be hard for the students to find seats to sit next to their parents. Might as well just stay in the Zoo.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

also a plus is when they are with their parents they don't get nearly as drunk and wanna leave and pass out right away...
Zona_Soccer10

Post by Zona_Soccer10 »

Can't emphasize this enough. Nothing is more sickening than seeing the stadium emptying out early. You stay and support your team. It speaks volumes in terms of recruiting, players want fans who support them.
Salty

Post by Salty »

The zonazoo is far and away better than what I saw at Oregon.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

They already know this. This message should be aimed more at the 40+ crowd.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

ASUHATER! wrote:They already know this. This message should be aimed more at the 40+ crowd.
"gotta beat traffic..."

will never be said by an older CST.
cats101

Post by cats101 »

VegasCatFan wrote:
cats101 wrote:It's family weekend, which means a lot of students sit with their parents, so it may not be 100% full. Just want to point that out before people complain.
If the game is a sell-out as expected, its going to be hard for the students to find seats to sit next to their parents. Might as well just stay in the Zoo.
The game was selling well before the win on Thursday, probably the only one. I'm going to go ahead and assume tickets were being bought by parents weeks ago.
Machina

Post by Machina »

ASUHATER! wrote:They already know this. This message should be aimed more at the 40+ crowd.
Percentage was the zoo has been far worse. But yes the message is for everyone.
Lofty

Post by Lofty »

Just wondering as an out-of-state fan- I watch all the games but have not noticed the Zoo in our home games- just not paying close enough attention. How has it been and do they represent, particularly in the big games? This thread is timely. While weather sucked, MSU's student section failed abysmally on national TV this past weekend.

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/i ... dance-woes
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Lofty, if they gave a grade by quarter it might look like this

1st A+ alwalys packed and very lively
2nd A Still in it to win it
3rd C Many look like they can't find there seats and have left the stadium
4th F Those that have stayed definitely deserve an A. Usually less then 50% remain

Some of its the late starts and the length of the games. Even the Cal game wasn't close going into the 4th quarter so its hard to blame them. I think we will see a different zoo from here on out as they now know no mattter how far we might be behind that we have a chance to come back and win.

It is impressive when we kick off the game and they are paked into the zoo like sardines. Plus they are very loud. It really is a great sight and a huge advantage when they are engaged
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I was amazed watching the Oregon game the crowd that remained after half time, especially since it was a work/school night.

Never see that at Arizona. Kids got to run off to their parties.
jimson

Post by jimson »

Merkin wrote:I was amazed watching the Oregon game the crowd that remained after half time, especially since it was a work/school night.

Once we approach something even slightly resembling Oregon's success, we might see some better loyalty.
Lofty

Post by Lofty »

azcat49 wrote:Lofty, if they gave a grade by quarter it might look like this

1st A+ alwalys packed and very lively
2nd A Still in it to win it
3rd C Many look like they can't find there seats and have left the stadium
4th F Those that have stayed definitely deserve an A. Usually less then 50% remain

Some of its the late starts and the length of the games. Even the Cal game wasn't close going into the 4th quarter so its hard to blame them. I think we will see a different zoo from here on out as they now know no mattter how far we might be behind that we have a chance to come back and win.

It is impressive when we kick off the game and they are paked into the zoo like sardines. Plus they are very loud. It really is a great sight and a huge advantage when they are engaged

Thanks, and that is as expected. Frankly, I really believe it's a product of college kids and, generally, a Saturday night.
Salty

Post by Salty »

jimson wrote:
Merkin wrote:I was amazed watching the Oregon game the crowd that remained after half time, especially since it was a work/school night.

Once we approach something even slightly resembling Oregon's success, we might see some better loyalty.
Exactly.
Machina

Post by Machina »

Salty wrote:
jimson wrote:

Exactly.
But you will need a good crowd in order to get the players to get the sustained success.

Chicken and the egg. However one is a potential instant fix while the other is not.
Salty

Post by Salty »

Success comes before fans. That's how it's always been.
Machina

Post by Machina »

Salty wrote:Success comes before fans. That's how it's always been.
Says who? Oregon was not always successful. Would appreciate a school that had no success, then became successful with a terrible fanbase, and now has a good fanbase.
Salty

Post by Salty »

Machina wrote:
Says who? Oregon was not always successful. Would appreciate a school that had no success, then became successful with a terrible fanbase, and now has a good fanbase.
Arizona Wildcats basketball.
Machina

Post by Machina »

Salty wrote:
Machina wrote:
How about a football team?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

How do the bottom feeder SEC teams do it? How has Ole Miss and Miss St been before this year?
Machina

Post by Machina »

azgreg wrote:How do the bottom feeder SEC teams do it? How has Ole Miss and Miss St been before this year?
Ole Miss has a capacity of 60,580 and in 2013 outdrew that every game except for Idaho 58k and Troy 52k.

Mississippi State had a capacity of 55,082 in 2013 and outdrew that every game in 2013
Last edited by Machina on Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cats101

Post by cats101 »

Stanford had elite level success for 5 years now and their attendance is always mediocre. students showed up in massive numbers during the Stoops era. There's more to it than wins and losses imo.

It also sucks that all the games seem to be at 730 now. Not many students are going to stay past 10 if it's not a big game. Not everyone is a die-hard fan, sorry to break it to you.
Machina

Post by Machina »

Can Arizona Stadium have 58,000 fans at the game on Saturday? That would be great to have almost every seat taken and 2,000ish people in the stadium room only sections
Salty

Post by Salty »

Machina wrote:
Salty wrote:
Machina wrote:
How about a football team?
Oregon Ducks football...

Miami Hurricanes football.

Oklahoma State football.

Boise State football.

Stanford football.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Machina wrote:
azgreg wrote:How do the bottom feeder SEC teams do it? How has Ole Miss and Miss St been before this year?
Ole Miss has a capacity of 60,580 and in 2013 outdrew that every game except for Idaho 58k and Troy 52k.

Mississippi State had a capacity of 55,082 in 2013 and outdrew that every game in 2013
So, what you're saying (and I agree) is you can have rabid fan support without success.
Machina

Post by Machina »

azgreg wrote:
Machina wrote:

So, what you're saying (and I agree) is you can have rabid fan support without success.
100%
jimson

Post by jimson »

azgreg wrote:
Machina wrote:

Forget it. Just isn't going to happen in a place where everyone is from somewhere else and roots run so shallow.

Here's how it will be. A little more success = a little more fan support= a little more success, rinse repeat, rinse and repeat and then if we get to uncharted territory like an UNDISPUTED CONFERENCE CHAMPIONSHIP you have more people believing that success is possible here instead of always expecting the bottom to drop out EVERY YEAR.

You know what's NOT going to work?

Constantly trying to shame Tucson into supporting football.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Machina wrote:

I imagine almost all those fans were born and raised in that shithole state as was there parents and grand parents and all they know is NASCAR and college football.

You won't find that out west.
jimson

Post by jimson »

Oregon didn't get good because of fan support when they sucked.

When Arizona’s athletic director was a basketball standout at Eugene’s Sheldon High School, his father, Bill Byrne became Oregon’s AD, and, frankly, the Ducks were a mess. UO’s image was rain and indifference, not wild success. Attendance rarely averaged more than 25,000 per game; the UA’s game at Autzen Stadium in 1982 drew 16,489, the lowest for an Arizona game in Pac-10/12 history.

Oregon wasn’t the only Pac-10 school with threadbare facilities: Stanford, Cal, Oregon State and UCLA were similarly awful. But when the Pac-10 raised a team’s road guarantee from $75,000 to $125,000 per game, Bill Byrne was worried that the Ducks couldn’t pay it. Really.

So Byrne in 1985 began a build-a-dome-over-Autzen campaign that would cost $15 million. He even asked hated OSU officials if it would be feasible to play Oregon home games in Corvallis during construction of the Autzen Dome.

Alas, community support was so small that Byrne couldn’t get his grand Dome built. And by 1989, projected costs doubled, to more than $30 million.

But much like his son at Arizona, Bill Byrne, kept pushing. He found enough support to spend $19 million for improvements at Autzen and constructed the upscale Casanova Center adjacent to the stadium, the first of its kind in the league. By 1989, the Ducks were on their way, going to their first bowl game in 26 years. After Byrne left to become AD at Nebraska, Nike’s Phil Knight climbed aboard the Oregon Express.

http://tucson.com/sports/hansen-byrne-s ... 21850.html
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

Hmmm... I like this idea.
Machina

Post by Machina »

Really excited for the atmosphere on Saturday.

Really hope it shows Rich Rod, the team and the nation what U of A is all about and how much U of A football is loved by the state of Arizona.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

jimson wrote:

Oregon also has a history of coming back and winning games. Arizona is starting to build that rep but has to be more consistent. We are building and we all need to give each other a pass and stop with the criticizing and welcome everyone back into the tent. Let's not beat folks up for "jumping onto the bandwagon."
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Yeah if over the next 5 years we do a 2009-2013 Oregon run and we have 5 10+ win seasons, play for a title and play in several more playoff level bowls (rose, fiesta, Orange, sugar, peach, cotton) then I'm pretty sure we'll have no problems selling out and our fans staying the whole game...

Machina

Post by Machina »

It is simple, Tucson does not care enough. It is what it is, but lots of other schools and pro sports face the same issue.

Everyone says Tucson doesn't do enough and that is true, but no one mentions the thousand plus fans who travel from PHX every game.

Hopefully Rich Rod gets more than enough enjoyment out of being here to make up for the fan base outside of the 35,000ish die hards from the entire state.

Also, if you leave early or do not go to games, YOU ARE NOT A BAD FAN, but you must understand why that reflects poorly to coaches and others.
Salty

Post by Salty »

Machina wrote:It is simple, Tucson does not care enough. It is what it is, but lots of other schools and pro sports face the same issue.

Everyone says Tucson doesn't do enough and that is true, but no one mentions the thousand plus fans who travel from PHX every game.

Hopefully Rich Rod gets more than enough enjoyment out of being here to make up for the fan base outside of the 35,000ish die hards from the entire state.

Also, if you leave early or do not go to games, YOU ARE NOT A BAD FAN, but you must understand why that reflects poorly to coaches and others.
If Arizona becomes a winner, fans will show up.

It's really that simple. It's hard to develop a decent and dedicated fan base when the program has the least winning tradition of any PAC program.
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

Machina wrote:It is simple, Tucson does not care enough. It is what it is, but lots of other schools and pro sports face the same issue.

It's a damn good thing Phoenix keeps Tucson afloat huh? :lol:
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
TheBlackLodge

Post by TheBlackLodge »

UAdevil wrote:

It's a damn good thing Phoenix keeps Tucson afloat huh? :lol:
You know this board has truly made it when Bitchina is back and in full form.
Formerly McLurvin
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Machina, if Tucson doesn't care enough how in the world do you explain that in maricopa county we have 40K alumni yet only 789 are wildcat members. How do you explain that the cat cruisers that bus down to the stadium are limited to 1 because we can't fill two?

Tucson will back the cats if we win. There won't be any tickets for us Phoenix alums because Tucsonans have bought them all up. Winning is the the key. Blind support doesn't happen anywhere except the SEC
Machina

Post by Machina »

azcat49 wrote:Machina, if Tucson doesn't care enough how in the world do you explain that in maricopa county we have 40K alumni yet only 789 are wildcat members. How do you explain that the cat cruisers that bus down to the stadium are limited to 1 because we can't fill two?

Tucson will back the cats if we win. There won't be any tickets for us Phoenix alums because Tucsonans have bought them all up. Winning is the the key. Blind support doesn't happen anywhere except the SEC
http://www.arizonawildcats.com/ViewArti ... =209578293

http://arizonashuttle.hudsonltd.net/res ... S&LOGON=GO

http://bvtravel.com/2014-cat-cruiser/

Still says two locations. And you say only 789 like it is a bad thing. That is 1500 fans at least going to the games every week from PHX which is two hours away. Those are a part of the die hards. It will take a winner to get more PHX fans to make that journey every week, but I think Arizona should be proud 1500 die hards go to Tucson from PHX every game, especially given the kickoff times. Thats not to mention all thousands of fans/alumni watching the games in Phoenix.

Agree it will take a good winning team for Tucson to support the Cats. And I disagree about Blind Support not happening anywhere outside of the SEC, happens in the BIG and Big 12 as well.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Can't we just make Machina the AD, the HC (for all major sports) and fuck it...lets make him president while we are at it.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
cats101

Post by cats101 »

Phoenix can barely support its own damn teams. Machina you sound foolish as usual
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I think 2% of the alums from Phoenix being wildcat members is appaling. I was shocked when I was told that. If I was the AD I wouldn't spend anytime hustling for these people to buy tickets as that has proven to be almost impossible. The AD can survive without Phoenix and survive very easily.

Tucson is a great college town. The population of Tucson is very transient. People retire from all over the vountry and there allegiences are to many other schools. If your argument is that Tucson is to blame for the poor fan turnout I would STRONGLY disagree. Tucson has shown it will support a winner.

Phoenix fans would rather watch from there couch and I get that. I will laugh when the game comes to Glendale and 30K drive up from Tucson and we are lucky to get 10K from the valley. Guys like you and I are rare that drive down and spend soe dough to watch a game. I will be out $500 by this weekend in support of the cats. oney well spent but most in Phoenix just don't think that way
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

We need to build a stadium in the Acadia tavern parking lot and move all Arizona home games there. Phoenix fans have an almost negligible impact on attendance.

Machina

Post by Machina »

azcat49 wrote:I think 2% of the alums from Phoenix being wildcat members is appaling. I was shocked when I was told that. If I was the AD I wouldn't spend anytime hustling for these people to buy tickets as that has proven to be almost impossible. The AD can survive without Phoenix and survive very easily.

Tucson is a great college town. The population of Tucson is very transient. People retire from all over the vountry and there allegiences are to many other schools. If your argument is that Tucson is to blame for the poor fan turnout I would STRONGLY disagree. Tucson has shown it will support a winner.

Phoenix fans would rather watch from there couch and I get that. I will laugh when the game comes to Glendale and 30K drive up from Tucson and we are lucky to get 10K from the valley. Guys like you and I are rare that drive down and spend soe dough to watch a game. I will be out $500 by this weekend in support of the cats. oney well spent but most in Phoenix just don't think that way
I bet that less than 2% of Wisconsin Alumni in Chicago are the equivalent of Wildcat Club members there. While the number is lower than you and I would like, I dont think it is appalling.

Totally agree with you about Tucson, it is what it is and in 100 year it should be different if people grow up there and stay there. But for now you gotta win to be supported.

I bet that more than 10k UA fans from the PHX area will be there in 2016 at UOP Stadium.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

You bet...but you don't have any data to support your idea.

Machina

Post by Machina »

azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

That is impressive. Tickets for an AZ game going at a nice premium and fans actually willing to pay for them.

The University of Arizona has one of the best fan bases in the nation and it is based mostly in Tucson Arizona.

Machina, it's not about what it is, it's about what it can be
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Machina wrote:I bet that less than 2% of Wisconsin Alumni in Chicago are the equivalent of Wildcat Club members there. While the number is lower than you and I would like, I dont think it is appalling.
I texted the marketing directors for UW and the University of Illinois to see if they had any stats on this. Of UW alums in Chicago, about 20% give annually to the Kelner Club. UI doesn't have the equivalent of the Wildcat Club but 17% of alums in Chicago give regularly to athletics through the I-Fund. So based on those two anecdotal examples, either UA isn't doing a good job in Phoenix or Phoenix area UA alums are pretty pathetic when it comes to supporting athletics.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?