The wheel route and why Arizona’s WRs are so dangerous

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

azpenguin

The wheel route and why Arizona’s WRs are so dangerous

Post by azpenguin »

We know that the WR corp is one of the strongest in the country. They present really bad matchups for secondaries and that opens up limitless possibilities for Arizona. Can you cover everyone? Do you even dare to double any of these guys? Odds are someone will be open and it’s up to Solomon to find them and get them the ball.

Everyone remembers the two wheel routes that burned Oregon in the third quarter. This was made possible by the WRs before anything else. Same route, but two different plays. On the first one, Solomon set up in the pocket looking right. Hill and Grant were on the right. Snap, set, throw, big gain. Oregon accounted for all of the WRs and still knew they’d left themselves open to the run because they couldn’t load up the box. As soon as they recognized that it was a pass they completely forgot about TJG.

Let’s look at the second one for the TD. This is something that RichRod set Oregon up for all season long. How many times has he sent that rolling pocket and the ball goes towards the rollout? This time he used that film to his advantage.

Typical four wide set for Arizona. See that boundary side safety? He’s about to guess right… at least for a second. Right before the snap he rolls towards the right side of the field. Hill and Johnson are left in 1-on-1 coverage. There’s three on the field side.

As they’ve done so many times before, they roll the pocket right. The safety who rolled over is now heading right into the action. They’ve got three guys covering that side of the field plus another one set to control the gap so Solomon can’t run. 10 of Oregon’s players are in the frame and the 11th is off chasing Hill. All of the WRs are covered to some extent. But once they recognize the rollout they forget Wilson is there. Then Solomon stops and turns.

Oregon has covered all of the receivers and they’ve run themselves out of the play in the process. The safety on that side of the field was screwed the second he stepped to his left. No one is within 15 yards of Wilson. Six points and a lead they’ll never give away. The Ducks played that rolling pocket just like they'd seen on film and then the Cats reeled them in easily.

If you look again at the pre-snap cover, there’s a lot problems that Oregon has to account for. They have to try to cover everyone. If Arizona decides to run it, they’ve got the numbers to do it. Plus Johnson was gone so fast on that route that the slot corner was toast. A receiver was open in the flat. This is why the WR corps is so deadly. They didn’t even touch the ball on either of those wheel routes and they still made the plays work. Again, who do you cover? These are the kind of weapons that Rodriguez has to work with, and if Solomon is making the throws Arizona will run riot on you.
Olsondogg

Re: The wheel route and why Arizona’s WRs are so dangerous

Post by Olsondogg »

With information illustrated in the thread like this, the terrorists will win.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

Nice write up penguin.

A couple of surprises for me this season with the WR's:

Nate Phillips- he's having a nice season, but last year he caught everything thrown anywhere near him while becoming a freshman AA. He's dropped a couple this year that surprised me. One against Oregon which might've gone for 6. Still looking for him to have a breakout game this year.

Davonte Neal-just thought he would be more involved this year. I'm very sure he will break out soon.

Samajie- Nice improvement over the off season.

Austin Hill- All Pac two years ago. Thought he would've had a huge game by now.

Caleb- Wow! Can this kid ball or what?
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

Neal was on the field when TJG caught that wheel route. He'll get more and more involved; there's just too many guys to spread things out to now. Phillips will get involved more as well. They're rotating guys in a lot more than you think. On the TJG wheel route drive, Jones, Grant, Hill and Neal were on the field. (Grant actually caught one out of the backfield on a rare two back set shortly before the big play.) On the next drive where Wilson scored on the wheel, it was Jones, Phillips, Johnson and Hill.

Hill has been fairly quiet, but he also has a knack for showing up when you need something to happen. He caught the Hill Mary, but he also caught a key touchdown late when Solomon was on the run. A lot of it is that defenses are putting a lot into covering him. They're doing the same with Jones now, which is why you see that safety rotating over. Give Solomon a look like they're going to put three guys over Hill and Johnson, and then run the safety over to play help up top on covering Jones.

What I really like about Grant now is his versatility. Having him as an option in a two back set really throws defenses for a loop. He'll run, he'll catch out of the backfield, he'll go out wide, he'll block, anything. Last year he had a knack for disappearing on defenses and then getting first downs when Denker would find him. He's going to be out there a lot more.
UofAlum05

Post by UofAlum05 »

Don't forget about Trey Griffey who I like as well. Plus Richardson had a catch in the 1st quarter and Anu just missed him for a TD. Damn we are deep.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I feel like these wheel routes weren't in the game plan the first three games. I know that RR likes to run basic stuff early and then open up the whole playbook in conference games, and I feel like this is an instance of that. It's really hard to prepare for something you haven't seen yet.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Machina

Post by Machina »

Coaches save something for the entire season to bring out in just about every big game. Wheel route was that last week. Can't wait to see what the coaches have in store for this week
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

Nice job azpenguin!! Appreciate the insight.
UofAlum05

Post by UofAlum05 »

Machina wrote:Coaches save something for the entire season to bring out in just about every big game. Wheel route was that last week. Can't wait to see what the coaches have in store for this week
Randall Package!!
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Those LB's get caught insode and we exploit the defense via the pass. They take a drop and we run the ball on that 3 man line. When they run read/option and they have Hill in the flat, that play is also unstopable.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Those LB's get caught inside and we exploit the defense via the pass. They take a drop and we run the ball on that 3 man line. When they run read/option and they have Hill in the flat, that play is also unstopable.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
splitsecond

Post by splitsecond »

The thing about the wheel route in a 4 WR set is you can't cover it without giving up a mismatch on one of the 4 WRs unless you have 5 DBs with excellent speed. This is basically the same way the Cardinals run it with Andre Ellington. If the defense reads it and covers it, there is a mismatch somewhere else on the field. This is where the ability to read the defense and read progressions is imperative. As Anu goes through the season and becomes more accustomed and comfortable with running through his progressions quickly or knowing where the mismatch will likely be, we will see more and more of this setup.
jollything

Post by jollything »

I miss being able to give rep.

Excellent post Azpenguin.
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

dc4azcats wrote:Nice job azpenguin!! Appreciate the insight.
+1. Great visual break down for the X&O-challenged like myself!
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

AZPenguin rockin' it. Great post, breakdown, and use of visuals. Triple threat post.

Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

Another outstanding contribution from azpenguin. Damn its nice to see such intelligent content on our football team.

Bravo my friend!
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

You guys are going to give him a big head and he wont be able to fit into his sweater any more.

Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

Greg someone needs to photo shop a big "A" on his sweater or maybe put a helmet on him.

And bring azpenguin alive, in true wildcat fashion. ;)
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Is that penguin wearing a sleeve from one of our football jerseys?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

By the way, if you root around on ESPN3, they not only have the replay of the game but you can watch the entire game from the overhead cable camera. No commentary, no replay, the only sound you get is the sound from the stadium and the field. Best seat in the house since you're right behind the offense the entire time.

Oh, and BTW, I donated that sweater to Goodwill a long time ago... Never expected to see it again!
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

azpenguin wrote:By the way, if you root around on ESPN3, they not only have the replay of the game but you can watch the entire game from the overhead cable camera. No commentary, no replay, the only sound you get is the sound from the stadium and the field. Best seat in the house since you're right behind the offense the entire time.
Great info. I didn't know that was available and always wanted it. Now, I just need to figure out how to sync it up with Brian Jeffries' play-by-play.

Here is the skycam replay link.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

ANGCatFan wrote:
azpenguin wrote:By the way, if you root around on ESPN3, they not only have the replay of the game but you can watch the entire game from the overhead cable camera. No commentary, no replay, the only sound you get is the sound from the stadium and the field. Best seat in the house since you're right behind the offense the entire time.
Great info. I didn't know that was available and always wanted it. Now, I just need to figure out how to sync it up with Brian Jeffries' play-by-play.

If I could just get this for every game, I could save so much money and drop so many channels. Brilliant find ANG!
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

Azpenguin, wish I could give you rep too. Thanks much for your insight and analysis....very insightful.

So, will this work against USC too?
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Great stuff, Penguin! Props to you.

Regarding covering that wheel route in a 4WR set: Jeebus, either you've got to cover one of our quick, little RB's with a LB, or you've just committed to going man-to-man on all four of Jones, Hill, Neal, Grant, Phillips, etc., etc. That's got to be a scary thought for Sark and company.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Hi, I am ANGCatFan and I am addicted to the ESPN3 skycam replay.

At first, I thought I could just pop in and check the skycam replay out, no big deal. Azpenguin said it was the best seat in the house I didn't see how that could be a bad thing.

I thought it would give me a good opportunity to watch plays develop and see offensive and defensive alignments, but it was so much more! I saw holes opening, missed assignments, pass progressions and sideline video not covered in the video broadcast. It was an epiphany.

But right away the darkness set in. Why isn't there a simple quick advance or replay on this video? Why do you have long breaks for commercials and no commercials? Why hasn't Tyrell Johnson been returning kicks all year? And boy Nick's limp looks worse then when I watched it live.

Then my mind was filled with possibilities I knew would never come true. Wouldn't it be great to have Brian Jeffries broadcast linked to this video? Or what if Jake Fischer could breakdown each series? I know, ESPN should get NFL players from each school to add commentary to each video with some analysis and a little bit of trash talking. Shoot, just release the videos on youtube, so local podcasters and wanna be analysts can add there own commentary to the video. These videos are gold to the college football fanatics and are being way underutilized.

What have I learned from watching skycam videos? First, Cayleb Jones is alway open (when covered by your normal sized DB) if the ball is thrown properly. B, our backs can hit the hole. Third, Oregon's excessive celebration penalty at 2 hours and 57 minutes into the game had to be called. D, at 3 hours and 5 min BJ Denker helps Anu try to figure out how to pee discreetly on the sidelines. And 5, I can only peek at the skycam when my wife is out of the house and I have to remember to clear my browser when I am done so she doesn't know what I have been doing for the 3 hours she was out.

It has now been 2 minutes since I last looked at a skycam video. With your support, I hope to make it until Sunday before I do it again.
Last edited by ANGCatFan on Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TuiTouchdown

Post by TuiTouchdown »

Wow, I need to check this skycam thing out...
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Do they have that feed live during the game?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

azgreg wrote:Do they have that feed live during the game?
I seriously doubt it. They want people to watch the feed with all the advertising.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

Actually... yes they did run it live. It's also how I watched the FSU-Auburn title game. These feeds aren't available for all games, but oh I wish it was.

BTW, when you watch this, you start to really understand what they're talking about when they say Nick Wilson has great vision.
azthrillhouse

Post by azthrillhouse »

ANGCatFan wrote:D, at 3 hours and 5 min BJ Denker helps Anu try to figure out how to pee discreetly on the sidelines.
That's hysterical.

Epic post ANG.
The Butcher

Post by The Butcher »

This CAM view is so awesome. You get to hear everything from the field, too. Anu missing Nate for an easy TD and him with a big smile on his face letting out a big "FUUUUUUUUUCK".

You can see from the field view what a horseshit unsportsmanlike call that was on Grandon.

Most troubling is how horrific a game McCall had. I can't believe he's our best option out there. He nearly cost us the game with his inability to cover and poor tackling. What's the story with Denson or the other back up qb (name escapes me). This can't be our best option.

Such a cool view for the game. Like being there at the game but REALLY being there, because you're on the field. Is that camera on a drone or something? I don't see wires.

Do they do this for every game?
The Butcher

Post by The Butcher »

Here's the link for the Arizona / Oregon game:

http://espn.go.com/watchespn/player/_/i ... condensed/
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

It is on wires. We may have one of those for USC, but probably not. Yeah, I wish we had it for every game.

Remember this about McCall - he's a freshman. A freshman going up against PAC-12 receivers means you're going to have a learning curve. He has shown signs of improvement as things go along. Denson will come along but there's a lot of learning that he needs to do as well. McCall is starting to get himself into position to make some of those plays that he was getting burned on and he's almost sniffed out a couple of INTs over the last couple of games. Going against the WRs on Cal, Oregon, etc, he's going to get burned sometimes until he gets more experience.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

azpenguin wrote:It is on wires. We may have one of those for USC, but probably not. Yeah, I wish we had it for every game.
Saw them on a crane setting it up today.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

btfd16 wrote:
azpenguin wrote:It is on wires. We may have one of those for USC, but probably not. Yeah, I wish we had it for every game.
Don't tell ANGCatFan's wife! :)
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

btfd16 wrote:
I hope it goes up and it's available live on game day.

It's still not listed on watchespn though :( last game of the day is before ours, skycam of ole miss and texas am :(

*crossing fingers it gets put online*
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

The Butcher

Post by The Butcher »

I hear what you're saying about McCall, but both of Marriota's passing TD's came against him and the swing pass Marriota caught for a TD was a direct result of McCall not being able to wrap up and tackle. Not the first time in the game he failed on tackling technique.

Holliday or Denson can not be much worse. I hope his learning curve accelerates.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

Actually, the pass Mariota caught for a TD was more a problem of the defense not recognizing the play. The RB didn't take off running, he dropped back to pass. The defense played it like a run, not realizing that hey, this guy is running backwards toward the sideline, maybe we should be attacking him instead of holding gaps. Obviously we had a different view than the guys on the field but on tv it was obvious that he was dropping back to throw.

McCall will improve. The depth at CB may end up costing the Cats a game or two, but if you're going to develop your younger players you have to give them a bit of a long leash.
The Butcher

Post by The Butcher »

anyone know if this is up for the USC game? As painful as that sumbitch was, I still think I'd like to watch it. Link it if you can?
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Don't tell my sponsor, but I watched for it all week and it was never available. They did have the sky cam view for the Ole Miss game, but it just wasn't the same for me.