2017 recruits/commitment thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

azcat49

Re: 2017 recruits/commitment thread

Post by azcat49 »

Well Chief says he doesn't care but Skowren and our Sahuaro punter Riggleman were pretty good in his 4 years. If you have those level guys in your first 4 years why waste a scholly on someone.

Like many things he posts, I will wait for more evidence that may corroborate the amateur commentary. When he puts his 3m income on the line I will be all ears from the get go
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Newportcat wrote:Tony Fields looks like a solid commit with solid offers and like us getting a Vegas kid as that is a logical place for us to get at least 1-3 players from each year.
Excellent commitment, a whole host of offers from fellow FBS competition - ASU, BSU, BYU, Colorado, Illinois, Missouri, Northwestern (grades must be good), Oregon State, San Diego State, and Washington State. If we're not getting the five stars or the masses of 4 stars UCLA and SC are landing, these higher level three stars are what I'm rooting for.

Welcome Tony!
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

azcat49 wrote:Well Chief says he doesn't care but Skowren and our Sahuaro punter Riggleman were pretty good in his 4 years. If you have those level guys in your first 4 years why waste a scholly on someone.

Like many things he posts, I will wait for more evidence that may corroborate the amateur commentary. When he puts his 3m income on the line I will be all ears from the get go
From things I've read, it's the rare Power5 coach who puts a ton of time and effort into both recruiting and coaching special teams. There is just a finite amount of time in recruiting and practice. ST is what? 15 plays total per game? I can see why it gets shortchanged.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
Sage&Silver

Post by Sage&Silver »

Sage&Silver

Post by Sage&Silver »

Two star out of high school, never saw the field with USF. Was on USF for two years, then left the team in March 2015
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

Rhedi Short decommits from UCLA, could he be a Wildcat?
http://tucson.com/sports/arizonawildcat ... b9ba1.html" target="_blank
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

MrBug708 wrote:Rhedi Short flip watch
Decommitted
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

MrBug708 wrote:
MrBug708 wrote:Rhedi Short flip watch
Decommitted
Is this a case of UCLA pointing Short somewhere else to make room for a bigger name?

Short's list of offers, except for UCLA and Oregon, is entirely from the types of schools that finish anywhere from 30-60 in the recruiting rankings every year - Illinois, BC, Oregon State, Boise, Etc.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

He's teammates with a bigger fish, though I doubt this plays into it. They will probably take 2-3 DB's. One of them is Darnay Holmes, so they need a safety. I'm assuming the coaches can go after higher regarded ones. I don't know how much contact he's had with the coaches. So I don't think he was told to kick rocks, but I'm not sure the coaches are going to be going after him now and try and keep him, either.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

MrBug708 wrote:He's teammates with a bigger fish, though I doubt this plays into it. They will probably take 2-3 DB's. One of them is Darnay Holmes, so they need a safety. I'm assuming the coaches can go after higher regarded ones. I don't know how much contact he's had with the coaches. So I don't think he was told to kick rocks, but I'm not sure the coaches are going to be going after him now and try and keep him, either.

That Cathedral team is pretty good. They have some good-sized fish.
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

Sage&Silver wrote:Two star out of high school, never saw the field with USF. Was on USF for two years, then left the team in March 2015
im interested to see if he's a walk on or not.
TyrantCat

Post by TyrantCat »

Anybody know what's up with Burmeister? According to another board, the 4-star recruit may have visited over the weekend. Perhaps a re-commit is coming?
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

TyrantCat wrote:Anybody know what's up with Burmeister? According to another board, the 4-star recruit may have visited over the weekend. Perhaps a re-commit is coming?
He is flirting with the idea. Hopefully very soon we should know as he wants to end his recruitment and begin looking forward to his senior season.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

catinfl wrote:
Sage&Silver wrote:Two star out of high school, never saw the field with USF. Was on USF for two years, then left the team in March 2015

Walk on?
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

chiefzona wrote:
catinfl wrote:

Walk on?
Just my opinion, but I'm not convinced he's coming here on scholarship if he is
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Braxton Burmeister will be announcing his commitment at 8:30am PST on Friday.
Folesfor10K

Post by Folesfor10K »

[tweet] https://twitter.com/SSCollector/status/ ... 1361907713" target="_blank[/tweet]

Gotta help that his last visit was to us. Got to be pretty serious about a school to come all the way over here from Florida on your own dime. Would be a ginormous piece to the recruiting class.
Why is fast food healthy? Why do skinny people have SLOW metabolisms? Check out my nutrition blog for a fresh, new perspective on nutrition.

My two favorite teams:
1. U of A
2. Whoever plays ASU this week
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Why did he decommit in the first place? He should have known the market better
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

MrBug708 wrote:Why did he decommit in the first place? He should have known the market better
I thought I read somewhere that he decommitted because Urban Meyer didn't know who he was.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

chiefzona wrote:
catinfl wrote:
chiefzona wrote:I'll expand to what might play out for the kickers by game 1. Josh will probably kick and punt.....they'll get the kicker from Arizona Western to walk on and he'll do kick offs only. That was the rumor but we'll see how it plays out. Glatting has been terrible.
Doubt it

Josh is the best kicker and punter on the roster. Only thing that could change is that Glatting or someone else could learn the rodeo punt and be more effective. It would NOT be ideal to have Josh kick and punt but I am convinced that RR can give two hoots about the special teams anyway. Just my two cents.....
Chief,
Does Matt Aragon have any chance to be the punter? He's a friend and former teammate of my son. Seems to have a good leg but technique may be lacking.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

MrBug708 wrote:Why did he decommit in the first place? He should have known the market better
I think Washington was the reason and than he realized maybe that's not the best situation for him.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Nice way to go into the weekend!

Bear Down Braxton!
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Welcome Back!
threenumberones

Post by threenumberones »

Well done Braxton! Welcome back to the fam.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

This moves us up to 15th in Rivals class rankings.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

azgreg wrote:This moves us up to 15th in Rivals class rankings.
....and 1st in the P12 with AsSU 9th in P12. I know stars don't count but I'd prefer to have more than less.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Still have about 3.5 years until signing day.
TyrantCat

Post by TyrantCat »

A de-commit that re-commits? This seems...rare.

A top-20 rated recruiting class for Arizona football? This seems...rare.

A lifetime between now and signing day, but it's a great day to be a Wildcat.

Welcome back, Burmeister!
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

Great start to this class, we already have as many top 500 recruits on 247 as last year. Hopefully we can land a couple studs on the DLine, a big WR, and another great DB. I am as pumped about football recruiting as I can ever remember.

Any idea how this effects us with Judson? I know him and BB are friends, but would Judson be willing to come play with his friend at a position other than QB?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Great start. Long time until signing day but pretty confident we can finish in the top 25
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

UAEebs86 wrote:
chiefzona wrote:
catinfl wrote:
chiefzona wrote:I'll expand to what might play out for the kickers by game 1. Josh will probably kick and punt.....they'll get the kicker from Arizona Western to walk on and he'll do kick offs only. That was the rumor but we'll see how it plays out. Glatting has been terrible.
Doubt it

Josh is the best kicker and punter on the roster. Only thing that could change is that Glatting or someone else could learn the rodeo punt and be more effective. It would NOT be ideal to have Josh kick and punt but I am convinced that RR can give two hoots about the special teams anyway. Just my two cents.....
Chief,
Does Matt Aragon have any chance to be the punter? He's a friend and former teammate of my son. Seems to have a good leg but technique may be lacking.

Right now it's Josh's job to lose both as kicker and punter. Matt and Ollie have looked pretty good and both are fighting for the back up position. They were looking at Ollie for kick offs so will see if that stays. Anything can happen at this point and nothing would surprise me.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

B squared is a huge commit as most of you know. Not just because he is one of the best QBs out there but also because he might bring Judson and some others along. I'm thinking Arizona lands a couple of big receivers now. I'm freaking ecstatic over this though. Also, just an inside tip.....BB decommitted because he was eyeing a couple of faraway schools. His Dad owns a well off construction company that he has to devote a lot of time to and traveling was going to be difficult. His Dad has friends in Tucson with connections and things fell into place. Also, Braxton has huge respect for RR and his work with QBs. All of this tied in but travel was the biggest thing. I'm so happy I get to see him play right in my backyard. Very excited. The future of recruiting looks real good with this staff. They are going to blow up the recruiting trail. Stay tuned. Let's hurry up football and get here!!!!
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

catinfl wrote:
I think Washington was the reason and than he realized maybe that's not the best situation for him.
Makes sense. Petersen is pretty crotchety when it comes to people visiting. Good pickup for you guys. Weird year for QB recruiting in the west
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

TyrantCat wrote:A de-commit that re-commits? This seems...rare.
Ummm J.J. Allen?
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

This is great news. Since RichRod did not get the South Carolina job, do you guys feel like he is here for the long run?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Irish27 wrote:This is great news. Since RichRod did not get the South Carolina job, do you guys feel like he is here for the long run?
If he wins big enough and gets offered a big enough job, No.
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

Irish27 wrote:This is great news. Since RichRod did not get the South Carolina job, do you guys feel like he is here for the long run?
With the hiring of the new defensive staff I feel for the first time that RR may have actually set some roots down in Tucson.

His flirtation Louisville and South Carolina were huge downers, he did ultimately decide to stay so there is that.

If the hard work that Greg Byrne has done and has planned for the Stadium in the near future with a complete Westside stadium rebuild and a new practice facility is not enough to keep RR around then I don't know what will.

The recruiting looks like it may really start to make headway in the future, so that means winning big may well be a real possibility.

Ultimately facilities, winning and keeping the best assistant coaches in place will dictate RR's future.

With GB in charge the football program is in great hands moving forward. I think RR would be a fool to leave the program now as its just really starting to get in the groove.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

According to a coach I was talking to - in his opinion, interest has never been higher for AZ football. I'm sure that Marcel, Donte and Jahmile and their grinding helps.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

chiefzona wrote:B squared is a huge commit as most of you know. Not just because he is one of the best QBs out there but also because he might bring Judson and some others along. I'm thinking Arizona lands a couple of big receivers now. I'm freaking ecstatic over this though. Also, just an inside tip.....BB decommitted because he was eyeing a couple of faraway schools. His Dad owns a well off construction company that he has to devote a lot of time to and traveling was going to be difficult. His Dad has friends in Tucson with connections and things fell into place. Also, Braxton has huge respect for RR and his work with QBs. All of this tied in but travel was the biggest thing. I'm so happy I get to see him play right in my backyard. Very excited. The future of recruiting looks real good with this staff. They are going to blow up the recruiting trail. Stay tuned. Let's hurry up football and get here!!!!
This is just what the doctor ordered... and kudos to the new staff for their early returns.

In an ironic twist.... All the apologists who have made excuses for our recruiting in past years (as being beyond the staff's control... Heat, lack of tradition, lack of support, facilities, lack of local talent) are being proven wrong.

Forge ahead... The past is water under the bridge. Thing are looking up - but the biggest factor in recruiting has always been how well the members of the staff can recruit. We now have a staff that is skilled in that regard!
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

I love what this class is turning into and seems like it will be a Top 25 class when it is all said and done. Getting guys with strong offer lists and are on a bunch of top level guys. I am a little concerned with our two DT's as would love to see us finally get some high level studs there but that is being a little picky.

Harvey I know you are specifically calling me out so would like you to know that Rich Rod and our staff are selling the upcoming indoor practice facility to recruits and basically are telling them it will be done next year when they start school. They are saying that construction on it starts in January after the new academic center is done. I personally am hearing it might take an additional year to get it started but a little aggressive selling never hurt anyone. I have heard they are actively fundraising for it with major donors right now.

Great recruiters are paramount but we have mixed great recruiters with the best product to sell we have ever had as once the indoor practice facility is done and also two new practice fields, we will have as good of facilities for players as anywhere in the country. We will have brand new everything from a players perspective all right next to each other. Stadium will still be old but that is going to get fixed eventually as well and I do not think players care about how terrible the restrooms are on the West side of the stadium.

Also, literally you and me would be better recruiters then Casteel our Kiralwich given neither of these guys were forced to really recruit at all. Lockwood also was not known as a recruiter so anyone who some what good at recruiting would be a massive upgrade to this staff. I have loved the changes and loved getting guys with strong SoCal connections.

I look at Sean Miller who I feel is an outstanding recruiter, off the charts really. He understands the value of facilities in today's world thats why he invested $250,000 himself in the weight room at our practice facility, its why he pushed very hard internally to get the McKale improvements done too. Why, because now literally we have everything and how easy of a sales job is it. Dylan Smith wants to take 5 visits, comes to U of A, loves Miller, loves our facilities and tradition, and boom, signed sealed and delivered.

Rich Rod knows this thats why he is pushing hard for our indoor practice facility. He was specifically told that after Lowell Stevens the next level if improvements would be to McKale and then we would address an indoor facility and new practice fields especially after making sure Hi Corbett was the long term answer for baseball so U of A was comfortable tearing down Sancet. Well that has all happened and thats why you see the sudden urgency now with getting a new practice facility done.

I am also hearing provided all the improvements do move forward for Arizona football, Rich Rod is definitely here for at least the next 5 years.

One area it does not look like we are focusing in this class is OL. Anyone have a good idea of the potential guys we have there as I am big believer in trying to bring in 4-5 strong OL in every class.
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

I get where the indoor facility will go, but where are these extra practice fields going to be located??
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Long gone are the days of holding fall camp at the intramural fields next to the soccer stadium over a mile from campus and/or at tucson high school
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

I think RR will stay to coach Rhett than it's anyone's guess what he does. I feel like he's going to ride out the Yates tenure and hopefully we can keep the D staff for a couple years and continue the uptick and recruiting
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

Elijah Blades is announcing in a few weeks (June 12th) and it appears to be between us and Florida. If we do in fact land him does that take us out of the running for Thomas Graham and Darnay Holmes? That will be two big time players to man the corners (Greg Johnson being the other) and it is my understanding Holmes and Graham would be competing at the same position.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

gronk4heisman wrote:Elijah Blades is announcing in a few weeks (June 12th) and it appears to be between us and Florida. If we do in fact land him does that take us out of the running for Thomas Graham and Darnay Holmes? That will be two big time players to man the corners (Greg Johnson being the other) and it is my understanding Holmes and Graham would be competing at the same position.

I think there is a very good chance that Arizona lands Blades. I would be surprised if Arizona landed Graham and shocked if they landed Holmes. I think Johnson is way better suited as a RB/WR/slot than a CB but that is just my two cents.
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

chiefzona wrote:
gronk4heisman wrote:Elijah Blades is announcing in a few weeks (June 12th) and it appears to be between us and Florida. If we do in fact land him does that take us out of the running for Thomas Graham and Darnay Holmes? That will be two big time players to man the corners (Greg Johnson being the other) and it is my understanding Holmes and Graham would be competing at the same position.

I think there is a very good chance that Arizona lands Blades. I would be surprised if Arizona landed Graham and shocked if they landed Holmes. I think Johnson is way better suited as a RB/WR/slot than a CB but that is just my two cents.
Chief, how ya doing?

I agree with you pretty much all the way. I would give a Blades commit at about 55/45 Arizona edge. Florida will be hard to beat out, but possible.

I don't think we'll land either Graham or Holmes. Actually I don't think its even a close call. They're both just testing the waters, but they will select one of the big dogs. Arizona is simply not at that level yet.

As for Johnson, I agree with you, great player, but I don't think he translates well to a corner position or a DB in general. He's got RB or slot written all over him and when you watch the way he runs, he's just looks better slotted for the offense than the defense.

But who knows, its nice to have a talented kid like him in the fold.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Holmes is off to Stanford if he gets in, but that's considered a long shot. I thought Arizona was considered a favorite for Graham when he decommitted from SC, so I'm guessing things changed?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

chiefzona wrote:

Who do you think lands Graham then?