Why can't we consistently fill AZ Stadium?

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Gladiator Cat

Re: Why can't we consistently fill AZ Stadium?

Post by Gladiator Cat »

When it comes to drinking beer at a football game, how about a crazy ass, novel, stunningly original type idea?

How about we let adults, be adults.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

We used to have to sneak it in. But a hip flask of 151 went a long way.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Puerco wrote:We used to have to sneak it in. But a hip flask of 151 went a long way.
When I was in high school I was a soda hawker at Arizona Stadium. Whenever I sold a soda in the student section they would pour a bit of it out and then top it off. :D
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

azgreg wrote:
Puerco wrote:We used to have to sneak it in. But a hip flask of 151 went a long way.
When I was in high school I was a soda hawker at Arizona Stadium. Whenever I sold a soda in the student section they would pour a bit of it out and then top it off. :D
Eegees was the better option for a mixer.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Chicat wrote:
azgreg wrote:
Eegees was the better option for a mixer.
I remember getting those large tubs of Eegee's for parties.

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Merkin wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:adding alcohol and improving concessions and bathrooms would give an auto boost of 5k people per game. we already average about 49500 a game under RR. alcohol and nicer amenities would make us closer to sellouts every time.
I would assume alcohol is more about liability than puritan beliefs. I think the tide is headed that way, but there's a downside.

It was tweeted that Byrne said they have less in-stadium accidents at football games where alcohol is served since the college kids don't need to binge drink beforehand.

Back in "my day", there was no issue with bringing in your own alcohol to Arizona stadium as long as there was no bottles or cans.
There's a liability issue with Arizona being the server for the alcohol. I'd assume it's less about the intoxication than the university incurring a potential level of liability for serving people. That same issue doesn't exist with binge drinking at home.
UAtrue

Post by UAtrue »

I credit alcohol with making me a lifelong UA football fan. Well, that and a "Wendy's girl".

The first game I attended was in the fall of '82, I had just enrolled in graduate school after getting my BS in Wisconsin. As an undergrad, I had little interest in the sports (it didn't help that my school didnt have a football team and our BB team was an average Div II team).

A new friend I'd made talked a group of us into getting tix in the south end zone corner. The BEST PART is you could take ice chests in with you. We came all stocked up and of course got wasted. While sitting there in my stupor I noticed a couple of girls dressed as the Wendys girl (you know the fast food place) going around the crowd giving out coupons or something. One came and sat next to me and asked me if I was my brother (she named my brother, not me). Turns out we grew up in the same small Wis town. I asked her out, she said yes and I got to be reminded of how hot she was when I saw her w/o the Wendys clothes, make-up, and wig. I'm pretty sure we lost that game by a bunch but quickly forgot that.

Well, I figure if it wasn't for the alcohol, I doubt I'd have had such a great time and become such an avid fan :lol:

So YES, allow alcohol. Doesn't everyone know its a great recruitment tool?
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Merkin wrote:Back in "my day", there was no issue with bringing in your own alcohol to Arizona stadium as long as there was no bottles or cans.
:shock:
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

We called it ???? juice and put it in a plastic container. Jungle juice or something. Fruit juice and vodka or something.

It was over 30 years ago!
UAtrue wrote: how hot she was when I saw her w/o the Wendys clothes
Without her clothes? You da man!
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

We called everclear and fruit juice/kool aid "Jungle Juice". Which now that I say that seems like it could have been racist...
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

I graduated in 85. I know it's hard to believe for some folks now, but for every home game, we brought in either a full ice chest or a 5 gallon Gott cooler full of screwdrivers and squeeze them into the seats between us. Sometimes we would get stopped at an entrance gate, but we'd just go to another one. Not once did we fail to get these items in.

Of course, we always had pre-game too. We'd usually be completely schnockered by the time the game ended. Those games were some of the funnest experiences I had at Arizona.

One time they had a home game on Halloween night. It was parent's night and my folks (both alumni) came and sat in the student section. The costumes were hilarious and there was just complete debauchery all around. Somebody created a huge inflatable penis with emissions coming out and launched it next to the stadium so if flew over the middle of the field. This happened two years in a row.

My folks and I had an epic time.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

I was backward...as a student, I never went to games drunk because I really wanted to remember the whole thing. I was more of a fanatic at that time, I guess. We'd drink after, but never before. Also, I didn't want to be burning out or chasing my buzz all game.

As an adult, in the Mackovic era, drinking at our tailgate party was the highlight of the game. I stood many a time at that last trash can downing two full cans of beer in 30 seconds to prepare for the beat down that was coming. And, of course, we had the body bladder guy in our group. So we stayed nice and toasty, though there were too many times I had to drive back to Phoenix after the game and had to stop an hour before game time to allow for sober up (I have a buddy who lives right by the stadium where I hang out after the game for a bit).

Alcohol sales actually slows drinking, because of price point. People say "I'll just drink in the stadium" and then they drink $10 beers much slower than cheap ones. Plus, you can be observed in the stadium when you buy beers.

I like the idea...good revenue.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I can understand why you'd need to get loaded to watch Mackovic era Arizona football.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

As for why we cannot fill Arizona Stadium…the reasons are numerous. Attendance is down nationwide. HDTV and beefy scheduling on TV mean if you are a college football fan in general, you are going to miss a bunch going to games. If you aren’t a diehard, you aren’t going to go. The stadium experience is a beat down…hot, expensive, parking miles away. Again, diehards like me will do it, but why would a casual fan? You have this TV at home that is like being there live and brings you 20 great games each week. Price is, I am sure, an impact for some people as well. Football is losing importance culturally with younger people…the Football Player is King high school experience has, thankfully, changed. And less kids are playing, and more sports are offered. Younger fans are a problem for the NFL and NCAA football. Then start times…a casual fan student is going to leave early for a party every single time. And they are going to go every single time because that is where they find out what they are going to do after the game. A bunch of 40 somethings wring their hand about the student section emptying out, but it is their school, and they are going to leave for social opportunities every single time unless they are a diehard. And there are simply less diehards among the younger age groups…

Then, you have to win. This isn’t the south. You see this everywhere in similar environments…if you do not win, you do not sell out. Even the SEC had drops in attendance last year. Stadiums are being shrunk…college houses used to be larger than pro houses at the upper levels, but those huge houses have vacancy.

I mean, diehards can get upset and wring their hands and tut tut all day, and God knows we/they do about this topic. It is a neverending topic. A chance to point fingers and shake our heads. But the reality is this is happening everywhere. This year is going to be way worse with 4 consecutive games in Arizona, 3 in the stadium, and 7 home games. People will take time off and go to some, not all games. We have a beefy schedule at home in conference, so those games will be full. And we will be satisfied, but it will be because of the schedule. And if we don’t win? Next year, when the schedule flips and ASU is in Tempe, will be stark.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:I can understand why you'd need to get loaded to watch Mackovic era Arizona football.
It was a fun time because of our tailgate group. But there were times we either went into the game late or returned by halftime to sit it out and watch the game on TV while drinking
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

When I was in school for the 04-07 seasons I think I maybe drank before a game twice (out of the about 25 games I went to as a student). I always wanted to remember them too. Now that is not the case. I'm older and not as optimistic...
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

lol @ adult eegees and "jungle juice" - wow, brings back memories! :D

about alcohol at games - image also plays as big of a part as risk and logistics. if the uni is trying to shake its "party school" image, serving booze on campus won't help its case. of course, there are much more obvious ways to accomplish a rebrand / reimage, starting with admissions, faculty, and programs -- look at usc over the last 20 years -- but i digress.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

UA getting called out!
prh

Post by prh »

Wasn't that the picture from the start of the 4th quarter? The NEZ looks empty in it, but other people said it started full. Asking because the girl said that was from the 1st quarter.
VegasCatFan

Post by VegasCatFan »

That looks like it was somewhere in the 4th quarter. Before the game the NEZ was pretty empty but at least one section of the zoo was full. And after halftime that video looked like the zoo but there were still some people in the NEZ until the 4th. The NEZ also didn't fill up until just before the game started. I guess people didn't want to sit in the sun. On the video board in the stadium they showed the temperature on the field at 137 degrees.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

So we have nothing but evening games and late starts and then we have a day game in record heat and we get bad press because we do sell all the tickets (as parents weekend often does) because people don't want to roast in the Stands. What else could go wrong this year
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Byrne sent out this survey to fans on what you would like to see happen with the stadium:

https://arizonawildcats.turnkeysurveyor ... 8498eda800" target="_blank
TheGreatCatsby

Post by TheGreatCatsby »

One of the options of that survey for things important to you at the game, shade was an option. Would be kind cool as a renovation they figured out some sort of retractable shade system for day games and day events at the stadium...could get more use out of it too for events.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

#MAGA (Make ARIZONA Great Again)
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Just like with nearly any sports team in the world...you build it, they will come.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
shimdic

Post by shimdic »

Can't they just let everyone sit in the student section if it is empty at the kick off? :?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

shimdic wrote:Can't they just let everyone sit in the student section if it is empty at the kick off? :?
Can't they just let students sit where they want if everywhere in the stadium is empty?

cats101

Post by cats101 »

ASUHATER! wrote:
shimdic wrote:Can't they just let everyone sit in the student section if it is empty at the kick off? :?
Can't they just let students sit where they want if everywhere in the stadium is empty?
They already have the best seats.....
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

ASUHATER! wrote:
LOL... the new Zoo Defender.

I would guess the 35 students In the zoo would prefer to keep the seats they have. Especially when they have a section that seats a whole lot more completely to themselves.

Nobody showed up tonight, and those that did did not stay. Why should they? This is garbage...

I feel bad for the players... But good learn Early that unconditional love stays at home with Mommy and Daddy.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

cats101 wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:
As they should. Attendance is bad with everyone. This vendetta against the students is beyond baffling.

scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

There's maybe 3,000 left in the stands
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

ASUHATER! wrote:
cats101 wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:
As they should. Attendance is bad with everyone. This vendetta against the students is beyond baffling.
I don't disagree... But your vendetta against season ticket holders (who pay a shit ton more for their tix, and many of the. Have no ties to the University) is equally as baffling.

PS - Why should they have the best seats? If they are no more loyal & reliable than the blue hairs who support the AD... and do not contribute to an incremental home field advantage - they should not.

The best seats in the house at a pittance are not a birthright unless they deliver something for it.

#NothingInLifeIsFree
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

TheGreatCatsby wrote:One of the options of that survey for things important to you at the game, shade was an option. Would be kind cool as a renovation they figured out some sort of retractable shade system for day games and day events at the stadium...could get more use out of it too for events.
You mean kinda like they did in Rome? 2000 years ago?
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
cats101

Post by cats101 »

ASUHATER! wrote:
cats101 wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:
So what do you mean sit where ever they want to sit, when they already have the best seats?

Your willingness to stick up for snotty nosed, most entitled college students is even more baffling considering you don't even go to the games.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

In Byrne's next pitch to new season ticket holders, he should mention how easy it is to get out of the parking lots when you leave.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

That picture offsets a $8 mil buyout.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Chicat wrote:In Byrne's next pitch to new season ticket holders, he should mention how easy it is to get out of the parking lots when you leave.

:lol:

And the bathroom and concession lines are quick!
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Go to every game from Phoenix. Sucks getting home at 130 or later and this pitiful showing by the students and other fans makes me want to give up my seats. I go because it is fun. The environment is what makes it fun. I sit in the west side and it was more full than the pictures of the east side.

You absolutely blame the students more than average fans but blame both.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

PHXCATS wrote:Go to every game from Phoenix. Sucks getting home at 130 or later and this pitiful showing by the students and other fans makes me want to give up my seats. I go because it is fun. The environment is what makes it fun. I sit in the west side and it was more full than the pictures of the east side.

Blame is equal. No reason to blame the students more. The most blame is on RR and the football program.

cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

PHXCATS wrote:Go to every game from Phoenix. Sucks getting home at 130 or later and this pitiful showing by the students and other fans makes me want to give up my seats. I go because it is fun. The environment is what makes it fun. I sit in the west side and it was more full than the pictures of the east side.

I'm blame the average fan for not showing up to support the football.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

ASUHATER! wrote:

Blame is equal. No reason to blame the students more. The most blame is on RR and the football program.
Are the general fans asked to bring more noise than the zoo? No
Are general fans given deep discounts for great seats? No
Do general fans ask you to vote them beat fans in the nation or conference? No
Do general fans say and have shirts that say they are the best in the country? No
Do general fans ask for representation at meetings in the department? No

Is this too much for you? Yes
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I am not an average fan and I sent my tickets back to GB and told him I wouldn't support such a shitty product.

I have zero blame for any fan, student or otherwise. No reason to support the complete distruction of our football program by RR. Not showing up is how changes are made.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

azcat49 wrote:I am not an average fan and I sent my tickets back to GB and told him I wouldn't support such a shitty product.

I have zero blame for any fan, student or otherwise. No reason to support the complete distruction of our football program by RR. Not showing up is how changes are made.
That always a fan excuse of not showing up to game regardless how good or bad we are. That why Basketball will save the day for some fans.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Basketball good= reason for fans to show

Football bad = why support a program where the fames are over at half. Send a statement with your absence.

How about those boo's from the 10000 fans at halftime for RR. Breathtaking wasn't it
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

azcat49 wrote:Basketball good= reason for fans to show

Football bad = why support a program where the fames are over at half. Send a statement with your absence.

How about those boo's from the 10000 fans at halftime for RR. Breathtaking wasn't it
Was the refs not RR
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

I'm pretty sure the boos at the end of the first half were aimed at the refs for the blown DPI call in the end zone and the intentional grounding throw that went in the area of two receivers.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Bummer. Others reported it was aimed at the team.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

azcat49 wrote:Bummer. Others reported it was aimed at the team.
Why would the fans boo the team? You would want the fans to boo the team?

I'm going to stop there because I respect you as a member of this community.