Why can't we consistently fill AZ Stadium?

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

ByJoveByJingle

Re: Why can't we consistently fill AZ Stadium?

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

You guys should respond to the surveys they send me every week. I don’t, because I don’t use concessions and so don’t have any real complaints. Except the on the field product.
sf25

Post by sf25 »

Merkin wrote:Next season look for RichRod attendance numbers after this fiasco.
ASUHATER! wrote:Pretty big crowd today, but games like this are what tank attendance.
They definitely gave a lot of season ticket holders a fresh reason to say “no thanks” when those deposit requests start coming around. As well as for long time fans who have competing interests elsewhere to just pass and watch it at home next time.

One thing the Athletic Department was very successful at was diminishing the incentive to buy its season tickets and 3 game packs. The later season deals for the Cal, Oregon, CU, and ASU games they were offering took the need out of buying anything in advance (flash sales, buy one get one free, t-shirt deals with tickets, etc.). Between that and third party sites like stubhub, why commit the cash up front? (besides blind loyalty and a free fan appreciation popcorn).
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

“I was too my fridge and back on the couch within 15 seconds each and every time.“

Well at least I could look at your posts while I was in line
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

I did surveys last year.
This year we got tickets second hand
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Merkin wrote:
I expect it to be like 40k next year barring some out of nowhere miracle 8-4 season.

Next year our home games are NAU, Texas Tech, Oregon State, Washington, Utah and UCLA. Not a bad home slate. But just looking at that and our road games it's hard to see us winning more than 5-6 games again.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

PHXCATS wrote:
scumdevils86 wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
scumdevils86 wrote:This is why. Today. I will absolutely not attend another game ever again.
Cool story bad fan
Enjoy spending your time and money on this garbage. Must be hard to keep up though with the gambling addiction. Get some help.
Ok mr obsessed with me
hey moron, you're the one who searched out his post and called him out for his comments. if anyone is obsessed, it's you. btw, shut the fuck up.

bad fans are the ones who use the internet to spread made up stories about coaches
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Siempre Verde

Post by Siempre Verde »

Not saying I’ll never return to Arizona Stadium, but I sincerely doubt I’ll renew my season tickets. I’m through caring more about the outcome of these games than some of the key on field participants. I’m through being Charlie Brown to Lucy.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

PieceOfMeat wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
scumdevils86 wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
scumdevils86 wrote:This is why. Today. I will absolutely not attend another game ever again.
Cool story bad fan
Enjoy spending your time and money on this garbage. Must be hard to keep up though with the gambling addiction. Get some help.
Ok mr obsessed with me
hey moron, you're the one who searched out his post and called him out for his comments. if anyone is obsessed, it's you. btw, shut the fuck up.

bad fans are the ones who use the internet to spread made up stories about coaches
Ok mr moderator. Good example you set.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

Better than your example Machina.
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

UAdevil wrote:Better than your example Machina.
I am not a mod cussing at people and then threatening people for saying someone follows me like a puppy

Also supporting the team no matter what is a great example
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

Threatening? Drama queen...
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

PHXCATS wrote:supporting the team no matter what is a great example
When you make up a story about the basketball coach blaming fans for a loss, is that an example of “supporting the team no matter what”?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

PHXCATS wrote:
UAdevil wrote:Better than your example Machina.
I am not a mod cussing at people and then threatening people for saying someone follows me like a puppy
In regards to your comments about my cussing with "btw, shut the fuck up" I can only tell you this: grow the fuck up. Got a problem with the word fuck? then feel free to get the fuck out. Hope I didn't fuck up my message there, and that you fucking understood the fucking point of what I said.

As for your secondary comment about threatening......what in your imaginary little world are you referring to?

Also, you're still a moron who is obsessed with other people who then turns around and claims they're obsessed with you. As evidenced in this thread.

Oh, and not to be forgotten, you're also a documented liar.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Chicat wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:supporting the team no matter what is a great example
When you make up a story about the basketball coach blaming fans for a loss, is that an example of “supporting the team no matter what”?
Only the bestest of best fans do that.

Jefe

Post by Jefe »

51,805. Best crowd I've seen in a long time and they stayed for the whole game. I was in the Sands Club(which is amazing) and saw Rich Rod and Trey Mason. Weird

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Nice pics. Good seats.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

Yep, the environment in the stadium did remind me of "the good ol' days" even though there were some pretty big open spots on the west side that you can't see from those angles.

The beer was flowing freely but they need to add more taps, the lines were stupid long and closed off at half time. I will have to keep bringing my own until they figure that out. Should be a pretty good source of income but all the of the college teams are doing it so not a difference maker.

If only if we would've won, might have been a great foundation to build on...oh well. I sense I will probably be one the "last of the Mohicans" supporting this football team through this time and as the Pac12 and, ultimately, the entire sport goes downward.

I am thankful for the few friends who continuously attend, tailgate, celebrate the few wins, and provide a support group for losses. I choose not to worry about those who have something better to do because there are choices for what people do with their precious time. I missed many games this year due to competing demands ( i know, bad fan) and will likely miss many next year.

I am thankful that I can afford to "contribute" through season tix that, selfishly, helps me feel invested in the program, along with all the time I throw down the drain with this team...oh well, everyone has a blind spot and Arizona Football is mine.

For example, setting aside the anger at the way game and the season ended, I do think the team will be better next year. Tate will be a senior and hopefully more mature, he certainly can't enter the draft, we have some options for back-up QB, the defense has been improving and will have one more year under their belt and in the weight room, hopefully, we can improve on the o and d lines and with the other skill positions. Eternal optimist, I guess.

I think there will be changes with the coaching staff. I don't hate Yates as much as others do, but he's as good a scapegoat as any. Mazzone will probably get a pass since he is Sumlin's guy. I blame the offensive turnovers for the loss more than the D. TO's are totally deflating to the defense and gave ASU a spark when they really needed it.

Beardown Cabrones.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Exactly machina, it's the program and not the fans.

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

With the exception of Phil Knight U, it seems there is a small coloration of metro population and worth of a program. Bay Area someone worth less than population, but still a correlation, just other factors involved.

In any event, the 3 lower schools will never achieve the value of the schools in more populated areas. Phil Knight only comes once a lifetime.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

UALoco

Post by UALoco »

Welp...today is sort of an inflection point for me. I did not renew my football season tickets that I've since 2008. I am a bad fan.

A few factors played into my decision:
1) My season ticket partner, my brother, moved and can't share the cost with me.
2) My son just doesn't seem to care. He is 15 now and really just wants to play video games with his friends.
3) General disillusionment with the program. I just don't see them ever really competing with the big boys. We might get an upset here and there, but I think think we'll ever get back to the early 90's when I went to school there. I've hoped we would get to relive the gool ol' games against UW and Miami when they were ranked #1 or #2.
4) General disillusionment with football. I recently watch the 30 for 30 about Junior Seau. Even though most of these football players get to experience life at a level I could never imagine, seeing the impact on that man's mental state due to the blows he suffered really took some of the zest for the game out of me. I know, I am late to this party, but I am typically slow on the uptake.
5) Related to #1 - the cost. I have been doing some retirement planning and I just want to stop working as soon as possible so I am looking for any way to save a buck or two.
6) Gettin' a bit old to party like I used to at the tailgates. Also, the food is just so unhealthy, I gain 5 lbs every football weekend. That is 30lbs I have to work off.

There are probably some other reasons but those are the main ones.

Anyways. It is a little like putting your pet to sleep.

I'll still watch on TV and make it to a game or two. You know, fair weather and all.

Beardown.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

UALoco wrote:Welp...today is sort of an inflection point for me. I did not renew my football season tickets that I've since 2008. I am a bad fan.

1) My season ticket partner, my brother, moved and can't share the cost with me.
2) My son just doesn't seem to care. He is 15 now and really just wants to play video games with his friends.
3) General disillusionment with the program. I just don't see them ever really competing with the big boys. We might get an upset here and there, but I think think we'll ever get back to the early 90's when I went to school there. I've hoped we would get to relive the gool ol' games against UW and Miami when they were ranked #1 or #2.
4) General disillusionment with football. I recently watch the 30 for 30 about Junior Seau. Even though most of these football players get to experience life at a level I could never imagine, seeing the impact on that man's mental state due to the blows he suffered really took some of the zest for the game out of me. I know, I am late to this party, but I am typically slow on the uptake.
5) Related to #1 - the cost. I have been doing some retirement planning and I just want to stop working as soon as possible so I am looking for any way to save a buck or two.
6) Gettin' a bit old to party like I used to at the tailgates. Also, the food is just so unhealthy, I gain 5 lbs every football weekend. That is 30lbs I have to work off.

I'll still watch on TV and make it to a game or two. You know, fair weather and all.

Beardown.
I'm younger than you but I agree completely. I still watch some football every week for sure but nothing like I did even 2-3 years ago for the reasons you just described. I guess you can say I've grown out of football? From like 2004-2015 I literally watched football every Thursday night from like 5 pm-10 pm and every Saturday from 8 am-midnight. Only thing that would prevent that is if I had to work or was actually at a game or something.

Now I don't really watch football any days besides Saturdays and now I probably just casually watch 2-3 hours on Saturday and that's it.

Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

UALoco wrote:Welp...today is sort of an inflection point for me. I did not renew my football season tickets that I've since 2008. I am a bad fan.

Beardown.
You are not fair weather at all. You are simply being smart with your time and actually thinking about you do then just go through the motions like many people.

I applaud your decision and commend you for doing it
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

Newportcat wrote:

Beardown.
You are not fair weather at all. You are simply being smart with your time and actually thinking about you do then just go through the motions like many people.

I applaud your decision and commend you for doing it
I probably just locked us in for the Rose Bowl by backing out of Season tix.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

I believe the world can be a random crazy place but I feel 1000% confident in saying Arizona will not be making a rose bowl this year and you will not regret giving up your season tickets
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

https://m.tucsonweekly.com/tucson/daneh ... d=24986236" target="_blank

Basically in a nut shell UALoco you are not alone
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

I gave up my seats too. Last season really took it out of me.

I had tickets to 8 games including a road trip to Houston. I went to 4, we lost all four. I skipped 4 and the 'Cats won those 4.

The ASU game was the last straw. I can't do that to myself again.

#badfan
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
sf25

Post by sf25 »

Dropped my season tickets as well for 2019. Had them since I moved back to Arizona in 2012. Just wasn’t worth the upfront cost anymore.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Newportcat wrote:https://m.tucsonweekly.com/tucson/daneh ... d=24986236

That was spot on and a good read. Although many conservatives had the hair on their backs stand up.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

That article is dead on. The abject failure of the P12 Network is another reason apathy has set in so hard.

Retread coach. Same old results. Invisible national profile.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:

That article is dead on. The abject failure of the P12 Network is another reason apathy has set in so hard.

Retread coach. Same old results. Invisible national profile.
Obviously agree on the retread coach. Arizona has to understand what worked in the 80's and 90's and that was hiring two younger coaches from smaller programs who wanted to make the leap up and were ready for it in Larry Smith and Dick Tomey. This shit is not rocket science.

Look at Arizona Men's Tennis. A program that literally has struggled worse than anyone program at U of A. They hire a great new young coach from Utah State and three years later they are back in the Tournament in the Top 30 nationally. They had not won a PAC 12 match since like 2013 before this season. Arizona Women's basketball under Adia same thing. Arizona Soccer under Tony Amato same thing. Arizona football under Larry Smith and Dick Tomey same thing. Arizona football under Wackovic, and Dick Rod, and Sumlin....nope. I have no illusions Arizona football could ever be an elite program, but the definition is insantity is doing the same things over and over again expecting different results.

PAC 12 network has not helped either as those late start times for games really make it hard on fans. Though I am not sure any fans want to be in Arizona stadium before November for a day game. But an 8pm start time means a game that if you live in Tucson you are not getting home till past 12:00am and in Phoenix till much later.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Crap article all the way around
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Newportcat wrote: Obviously agree on the retread coach. Arizona has to understand what worked in the 80's and 90's and that was hiring two younger coaches from smaller programs who wanted to make the leap up and were ready for it in Larry Smith and Dick Tomey. This shit is not rocket science.
And as we all know, which worked is the basketball program too with Lute and Miller.

Keep it simple:

1. Must have HC experience
2. Never been fired
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Merkin wrote:
Newportcat wrote: Obviously agree on the retread coach. Arizona has to understand what worked in the 80's and 90's and that was hiring two younger coaches from smaller programs who wanted to make the leap up and were ready for it in Larry Smith and Dick Tomey. This shit is not rocket science.
And as we all know, which worked is the basketball program too with Lute and Miller.

Keep it simple:

2. Never been fired
1. Is open for debate, HC experience is preferred, but if you're an up and coming coordinator you more than qualify to be the HC at Arizona
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Merkin wrote:

Keep it simple:

2. Never been fired
1. Is open for debate, HC experience is preferred, but if you're an up and coming coordinator you more than qualify to be the HC at Arizona

ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Merkin wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Merkin wrote:

Keep it simple:

2. Never been fired

Was literally a million times better than the retread we hired before him and literally built the team the retread we hired after him had a 10 win season with. Stoops wasn't perfect, but an up and coming coordinator is more than appropriate as the head man at a school of Arizona's stature. If Georgia, Clemson, Oklahoma, Oregon, etc., can hire guys with no head coaching experience then we sure as hell can.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

I don’t disagree hiring an up and coming assistant is way better then a retread.

If we did hire an assistant coach I would suggest it be someone with extensive recruiting relationships on the west coast or Texas and someone from a big time program

Stoops was far better the wackovic or dick rod and is going to prove to be much better then drunken Sumlin

But again, I like up and coming head coach best
prh

Post by prh »

That article had a lot of accurate points but was mostly just wandering around searching for a purpose, before surprising us with the woe-is-me-no-media-access trope stolen from the Star
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

prh wrote:That article had a lot of accurate points but was mostly just wandering around searching for a purpose, before surprising us with the woe-is-me-no-media-access trope stolen from the Star
When you said mostly just wandering around searching for a purpose I thought you were describing Arizona football
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Newportcat wrote:
prh wrote:That article had a lot of accurate points but was mostly just wandering around searching for a purpose, before surprising us with the woe-is-me-no-media-access trope stolen from the Star
When you said mostly just wandering around searching for a purpose I thought you were describing Arizona football
Ha, that's exactly what I thought too. Arizona football is almost literally wandering in the desert, searching for a purpose or inspiration.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

OSU and WSU have no business ahead of Arizona, rose bowl or not. They are two of the worst programs all time. Especially OSU.

Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Merkin wrote:
69!

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Because most Arizona seasons feel like they're over after the first game?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:Because most Arizona seasons feel like they're over after the first game?
Ding ding. Attendance this year may be the worst we've seen in decades.

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I wonder if parents of players are poor fans too?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Funny thing is you couldn’t or wouldn’t fire Sumlin because your interim coach would be one of the coordinators and they both have to go as well LOL
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Well outside of like 0-12 no one is getting fired this year. But Sumlin will be on the hot seat next season. Anything less than like 8 wins next year should be fireable.