Why can't we consistently fill AZ Stadium?

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

UALoco

Why can't we consistently fill AZ Stadium?

Post by UALoco »

Seems like this needed its own thread.
scumdevils86

Re: Why can't we consistently fill AZ Stadium?

Post by scumdevils86 »

because most people have other priorities in this part of the country. that's it. i love football and I buy merchandise, occasionally travel to away games, post tens of thousands of times on message boards discussing it, and live and die by the sport but...I don't go to all the games. not even a majority of them. there's lots of other things going on during the weekends and those sometimes take priority. i love being in AZ stadium but well...I love being out with friends or family or god forbid sitting on my own couch with cheap beer sometimes too. that's as simple as it is.

lots of us bad fans out there.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Many reasons, but among them very few UA alumni stay in Tucson, unlike grads from the bigger city schools.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Its just a different culture compared to Georgia, Louisiana, and everywhere in between those two.

There the college team doubles as the "state's" team. You have allegiance from alumni of course, but also for those that were born, grew up, will live, and will die, in those states but with no formal affiliation to the university itself.

Also, many of these states don't have pro-teams, which furthers the defacto state pride status of SEC schools.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Even in sec land the first dents in the attendance armor starting to show. Schools like Alabama are having a hard time filling student sections.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

Current PAC-12 Attendance stats

Sorted By Avg/Game
UCLA 76,703 84% UP from 70,285 previous year
USC 73,857 79% UP from 73,126
Washington 64,420 92% DOWN from 68,769
Arizona St. 58,329 86% DOWN from 62,689
Oregon 57,677 107% UP from 57,660
Arizona 50,227 90% UP from 47,619
Stanford 48,508 97% DOWN from 50,726
Utah 46,559 102% UP from 45,194
California 45,428 73% DOWN from 49,329
Oregon St. 41,797 92% DOWN from 42,964
Colorado 37,503 70% DOWN from 38,463
Washington St. 30,362 93% UP from 29,738

Looks like Arizona has the 2nd largest attendance jump (UCLA) thus far in P12 this year.

Sorted By Capacity Pct
Oregon 57,677 107%
Utah 46,559 102%
Stanford 48,508 97%
Washington St. 30,362 93%
Oregon St. 41,797 92%
Washington 64,420 92%
Arizona 50,227 90%
Arizona St. 58,329 86%
UCLA 76,703 84%
USC 73,857 79%
California 45,428 73%
Colorado 37,503 70%
Last edited by RazorsEdgeAZ on Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
cats101

Post by cats101 »

Merkin wrote:Many reasons, but among them very few UA alumni stay in Tucson, unlike grads from the bigger city schools.
It's been shown that schools in bigger cities actually have bigger issues because of professional sports.

I think it's culture too. Out of the 3 jobs I've had in Tucson in the past 3 years, only about 2 went to the games on a consistent basis. It's never really a topic at the "water cooler" and most people have other ideas of what they want todo on the weekends. mostof Western culture is like this, where sports is a source of entertainment while in the south it's religion. Most people who tailgate don't even goto the games, which makes no sense to me. I've also noticed that Tucson natives seem to be few and far in between, at least with the people I've worked with. Midwest and NW seems to be the trend. However 3 people in this very office, not including me have basketball season tickets, even though prices are expensive.

There's so many factors, there's not really a simple answer besides just win andI'm talking more than 8 win seasons
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Tucson is a low wage town.
Our History.
Other factors. (t.v., experience and atmosphere, cost (which ties to low wage town), etc.)

Despite that, attendance is up this year
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootbal ... wn-in-2014

Keep the winning going, and I'm sure the attendance will keep growing.

But this is a nationwide issue (other than a handful of schools) and it doesn't look to change very soon, for various reasons.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I am actually impressed by those % filled figures. Except for the two teams coming off of really bad years they all look pretty good.

Even though the LA schools are only in the 70% area they are still getting 75K which is a pretty big crowd.

I agree with POM, if the cats keep winning and become favorites to win the south in the near future, we will see a jump to 97% plus
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

The LA schools play in freaking huge stadiums. Hard to ask them to be close to 100%. Stanford... well, I don't know that I buy the percentage on that one; look at the stands at any of thir games and you'll see what I mean. They couldn't sell out the Pac 12 title game IIRC.

My biggest beef is that there's often so many empty seats, yet there is nothing like a full house at AZ Stadium. Name opponent, 7-2 record, still a lot at stake, it's going to be 70-75 and sunny at kickoff... fill that place up and rock the stadium.
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

Issues preventing me from getting to games:

note: I only miss 1 or 2 home games a year and almost always attend UA at ASU away games.

1. I will not go alone. Most of my buddies are not into football at all. I have a couple friends that come down from Phoenix to hit the games. If they are unavailable for a game, well, my couch works great.

2. History. I like the direction we're going in, but UA is historically a very middle of the road FB program. Every now and again the team teases us and gets hopes up, but so far fails to deliver (Rose Bowl, BCS bowl, playoff, etc), leaving me unfortunately perpetually skeptical. I am hesitant to get too emotionally involved. Been burned too many times.

3. Quality Opponents. I must say that this year's home OOC was brutally bad. That Nevada game was so bad, I mean boring as all hell. That's definitely a game I wish I'd stayed home for.

4. I hate navigating hordes of people. I get very uncomfortable. For important game I push through that though. :-)

5. Price. This is not really a big issue for me, but I really don't like paying more than $60 a ticket unless it's a really big game. Sure, there are cheap tix on the east upper deck, but I'd honestly stay home and watch on TV than sit up there, especially in a day game.

6. I'm much more of a basketball guy. I don't follow much football outside of UA and games that impact UA. I support the team because it's UA, but football is pretty low on my list of fun viewing activities.
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Also football games in general have become less and less family friendly.

(Not Arizona specific)
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I am really surprised attendance is up. No marquis player like Ka'Deem, and the game times were just brutal. Weren't the first 4 home games at 7:30 or 8 pm?

Thanks a lot Larry Scott.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Interesting Devil as I am almost the opposite which confirms many of the points made already

1) I go to the games alone because my wife hates sports. I do meet up with DC and Dosia to tailgate though

2) I am very emotionally invested in the football program. Too much probably for the frustration it brings but RR has brought hope and an exciting brand of football

3) I like cupcakes and winning. Going 3-0 helps insure a bowl game and I hate leaving the stadium after a loss. Wrecks the whole weekend. Give me a W against anyone U and I am happy

4) I am the guy that loves to holiday shop on christmas eve. It's a self tradition. My wife says I am nuts but I enjoy the people. I love the mall and the tailgating. Love the crush of people leaving the stadium chanting bear down

5) have sat everywhere in the stadium and I agree about the upper deck so I just buy more expensive tickets. We usually stay in a hotel so by the time I get out of Tucson its usually a $500 weekend anyway

6) I have season BBall tickets but sell them to a colleague. Have had them since 1983 but for me its all about football.

So we are opposites but we both still go just like many of the fanatics here. Some support from there couch and it seems nothing will motivate them to buy a ticket. I get thst, it's just who they are. Its not right or wrong.

I think the cats just need to win and those empty seats will take care of itself. One last note you mmentioned you rarely miss a AZ/ASSU game. I rarely make them because of family so you just never know about why a game doesn't sell out
Last edited by azcat49 on Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Alcohol, length of the game and parking are probably at the top of the list
Machina

Post by Machina »

What is the issue with parking?
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

I understand why some of the out of conference/cupcake games, games with late start times, and those times when Arizona Football is sucking wind. I just can't wrap my head around why folks won't turn out for this game. UDUB, 1:30pm and perfect weather, not too late for the family, and AZ is on a major upswing. I just hope I am wrong and the the walk-up business is good. I know that the coaches and players look into the stands and want to see a full house. I can't believe that, in Tucson, the football team isn't water cooler fodder. It's all we talk about in my office, I do work with other UA grads though. Oh well. I just hope that this dialogue helps get some folks who are on the fence to join us on Saturday.

P.S. I know the parking in the sixth street garage is really easy to get into and for most games you can find parking until right up to kick-off. Getting out on the other hand takes 30-35 minutes if you stay the whole game. I have started to just kick-back and relax in the stadium, take my time, and watch it clear out before I go to my car. I rather enjoy the weather than wait in my car. If GB or anyone on his crew is reading this, you might want to have the Sheriffs block out one lane on 6th ST just to clear the thing out quickly. They are already there helping folks get out but someone needs to play traffic cop at the exits because the pedestrian traffic holds up the exit lanes. If my church can do it on Sunday, UA should be able to pull it off.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

azcat49 wrote:Interesting Devil as I am almost the opposite which confirms many of the points made already

1) I go to the games alone because my wife hates sports. I do meet up with DC and Dosia to tailgate though

2) I am very emotionally invested in the football program. Too much probably for the frustration it brings but RR has brought hope and an exciting brand of football

3) I like cupcakes and winning. Going 3-0 helps insure a bowl game and I hate leaving the stadium after a loss. Wrecks the whole weekend. Give me a W against anyone U and I am happy

4) I am the guy that loves to holiday shop on christmas eve. It's a self tradition. My wife says I am nuts but I enjoy the people. I love the mall and the tailgating. Love the crush of people leaving the stadium chanting bear down

5) have sat everywhere in the stadium and I agree about the upper deck so I just buy more expensive tickets. We usually stay in a hotel so by the time I get out of Tucson its usually a $500 weekend anyway

6) I have sea d on BBall tickets but sell them to a colleague. Have had them since 1983 but for me its all about football.

So we are opposites but we both still go just like many of the fanatics here. Some support from there couch and it seems nothing will motivate them to buy a ticket. I get thst, it's just who they are. Its not right or wrong.

I think the cats just need to win and those empty seats will take care of itself. One last note you mmentioned you rarely miss a AZ/ASSU game. I rarely make them because of family so you just never know about why a game doesn't sell out
I usually go alone as well (although I keep meaning to find you guys at the tailgate.)

I'm probably too emotionally invested, but the years have taught me perspective. Good win? Doesn't define the team, but enjoy that feeling. Bad loss? Doesn't define the team and time to move to the next game.

I don't mind some cupcakes, but I actually kind of like that the Cats have been playing mid-majors on the road recently. Good experience and also breaks up the schedule a little nicer; that might sound odd but I remember recently starting a season with four straight including some cupcakes, and it meant fewer home games later in the year.

As for crowds - remember the feeling in the stadium after the Hill Mary? The people that stayed were in no hurry to leave. Pregame, there's so much energy in those crowds. I love it.

I've sat pretty much everywhere in the stadium as well. I'm one of those oddballs that actually enjoys the upper deck; I never really liked the west side. Just personal preference. I like the sightlines up there, I like the ability to view the entire field and formations quickly. I like the views of sunsets when we actually get one of those prized 4pm starts. I also really like the new stairs because I can get up and down quickly now. I also enjoy the south endzone, but I haven't been able to watch a game from the NEZ yet (oh how I hated the old NEZ seats; I'd refuse to buy seats there after the couple of times I sat there. I also remember those small bleachers that they moved to the south that became the old Red Zone; as a kid, I used to get $1 tickets there for the Knot Hole Gang section and well, they were worth about that much. Couldn't see a thing aside from guys going sideline to sideline.)

Hey, UALoco, email GB (or tweet him.) That's a good point about clearing the garage, although they may have other reasons for not blocking a lane on Sixth.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

I never park in a garage - takes too freaking long to get out. I always park in the neighborhood south of Sixth and it's easy to make a getaway to anywhere south or east.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Good For You

Post by Good For You »

I'm on the fence about beer at the football games. Personally, I'd love to have a couple cold ones at the game. At the same time I don't want it to turn into an NFL environment with a bunch of drunks fighting. There are a lot of kids and families at our games. So even though I'd certainly partake if they did sell beer, we are probably better off without it.

I think our lack of attendance boils down to 36 years of UNRB. It's going to take several years of consistent winning with some conference championships sprinkled in to overcome it. I just hope that RichRod doesn't get discouraged and bail before seeing it through.

That and our ugly ass uniforms are hard on the eyes :D
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

UAEebs86 wrote:I never park in a garage - takes too freaking long to get out. I always park in the neighborhood south of Sixth and it's easy to make a getaway to anywhere south or east.
That's me as well. Meep meep!

I'm not a fan of selling beer at the games. It'd be more trouble for the school than it was worth.
illcat

Post by illcat »

According to some people on this board who consider themselves the ideal fan blame it on the so called bad fans that don't attend every game. ;)
I mean I am not complaining but it must suck for good ugly girls.
--Officer Craig

You'll forgive DW99, he's used to the methed-out slores in Tempe ...
--Reydituto
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

UAdevil wrote:6. I'm much more of a basketball guy. I don't follow much football outside of UA and games that impact UA. I support the team because it's UA, but football is pretty low on my list of fun viewing activities.
This is my main reason. But like others have said, win and the people will come. It's no coincidence that the one sellout outside of ASU was the USC game.

Even McKale had trouble filling seats during the transition years. As long as the football program keeps trending in the right direction, Arizona Stadium will start filling up more regularly.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

I really do not think it is that complicated..

Build a program that consistently challenges for conference championships, and occasionally win one, and schedule decent to good OOC games. Only the most avid die-hard will travel down from PHX for a 8:00PM kickoff vs UNLV. There are not many of those...

Rich Rod has done a terrific job so far with what he walked into, but 4-5 in conference with 3 cupcake wins is not going to get the marginal fan excited.

I think we are on our way... We just need to keep it going. Win tomorrow and beat ASU and I think there will be a lot of excitement and fan support heading into next season.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Harvey Specter wrote:I really do not think it is that complicated..

Build a program that consistently challenges for conference championships, and occasionally win one, and schedule decent to good OOC games. Only the most avid die-hard will travel down from PHX for a 8:00PM kickoff vs UNLV. There are not many of those...

Rich Rod has done a terrific job so far with what he walked into, but 4-5 in conference with 3 cupcake wins is not going to get the marginal fan excited.

I think we are on our way... We just need to keep it going. Win tomorrow and beat ASU and I think there will be a lot of excitement and fan support heading into next season.
only the blessed Machina. praise him.
KillerKlown

Post by KillerKlown »

If you build it, they will come.
Mike Luke's burner account.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

illcat wrote:According to some people on this board who consider themselves the ideal fan blame it on the so called bad fans that don't attend every game. ;)
Will do! :D
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

Good For You wrote:I'm on the fence about beer at the football games. Personally, I'd love to have a couple cold ones at the game. At the same time I don't want it to turn into an NFL environment with a bunch of drunks fighting. There are a lot of kids and families at our games. So even though I'd certainly partake if they did sell beer, we are probably better off without it.

I think our lack of attendance boils down to 36 years of UNRB. It's going to take several years of consistent winning with some conference championships sprinkled in to overcome it. I just hope that RichRod doesn't get discouraged and bail before seeing it through.

That and our ugly ass uniforms are hard on the eyes :D
I stopped going to AZ Cardinal games cause things were just too toxic to take my son. If they decide to serve Beer, limit it to certain sections. When I'm hangin' with the grown ups, I'll partake, otherwise I prefer to stay clear of drunk a-holes.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

We definitely need to ramp up the out of conference schedule. I like the "one cupcake, one mid-major, and one Big 5" approach someone else mentioned. In the new CFP world, it really matters and the free advertising when you're in the national championship conversation is priceless. :ugeek:
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

So AZ athletics just posted this.
So I went to ticket office website and none of these $10 / $20 tix are available.

Thanks for posting that AZAthletics
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Interesting Ari, sounds like price is a driver. I know in the upper deck in 204-206 they are pricey but I think about the last 20 rows up there shouud be discounted
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

azcat49 wrote:Interesting Ari, sounds like price is a driver. I know in the upper deck in 204-206 they are pricey but I think about the last 20 rows up there shouud be discounted
They have $29 seats available, but that looks like the cheapest.
jimson

Post by jimson »

It's going to take a breakthrough. Simple as that. A conference championship will prove that UA football can be more than an annual disappointment.

That's what it will take to get broad community support

Right now Tucson is always waiting for the other shoe to drop.
splitsecond

Post by splitsecond »

How pathetic that ASSU is down with the year they are having. Though my guess is a lot of that has to do with the Cardinals. I know personally I haven't been able t commit to going to Tucson for a game because of my season ticket commitment to the Cardinals and not wanting to miss any games, because the atmosphere has been the best it's every been.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Some will remember BearDownBaby from TOS
jimson wrote:It's going to take a breakthrough. Simple as that. A conference championship will prove that UA football can be more than an annual disappointment.

That's what it will take to get broad community support

Right now Tucson is always waiting for the other shoe to drop.
Good point. When I was a student it was the transition years between Snowden>Lindsay>Olson.

You could not give away seats at McKale, well at $3 anyway.

And look at it now.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

splitsecond wrote:How pathetic that ASSU is down with the year they are having. Though my guess is a lot of that has to do with the Cardinals. I know personally I haven't been able t commit to going to Tucson for a game because of my season ticket commitment to the Cardinals and not wanting to miss any games, because the atmosphere has been the best it's every been.
A friend of mine up there in his early 30s: Born and raised in the east valley. Loves football. Huge Cardinals fan, although not a season ticket holder. And he has never cared a lick for ASU. He couldn't tell you what they're doing from week to week. I have to wonder how many more people like this there are up there. If that's the case, I really don't know how ASU can combat this. Those are the types of fans that the school should have locked down.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

splitsecond wrote:How pathetic that ASSU is down with the year they are having. Though my guess is a lot of that has to do with the Cardinals. I know personally I haven't been able t commit to going to Tucson for a game because of my season ticket commitment to the Cardinals and not wanting to miss any games, because the atmosphere has been the best it's every been.

Always find it interesting when someone picks an NFL team over there college team. I say that because so many of these NFL teams are transplanted teams like the Cardinals. Certainly not a knock SS, I just find it interesting.

I have never been to a cardinal game and have been in Phoenix since 97. I give them a look on Sundays to see how they are doing but past that they don't spark any emotion.

But if we are losing good AZ fans like you to the Cardinals then that is scary if they were to do any marketing in Tucson
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

I know the Cardinals claim a sellout streak but usually the 200 level is empty and half the upper level is empty after the tv station buys up the tickets to show on tv. All sports not Az basketball suffer attendance issues in Arizona.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

UW attendance = 47,757. Pathetic.

...and there was a huge number of Husky fans that filled the Visitor section and then some. I was really impressed with how well they traveled, and we were such rude hosts. :lol:

I am a Cards and former season ticket holder, if you think the place is rocking now, wait till the playoffs. The win against the Eagles on the way to the Superbowl was awesome. All that said, I just prefer the college game and college crowd. If the Cards keep it up, I will try to get some playoff and superbowl tickets.
azthrillhouse

Post by azthrillhouse »

Gilbertcat wrote:I know the Cardinals claim a sellout streak but usually the 200 level is empty and half the upper level is empty after the tv station buys up the tickets to show on tv. All sports not Az basketball suffer attendance issues in Arizona.
First part of your statement is true, 2nd part is false. Club seat level is often sparse, tells me that the team needs to adjust pricing. Upper level,at have some no-shows but the "blackout lifter" TV station thing hasn't happened in forever.

I think the last time it might have almost happened, ironically, was the playoff game against Atlanta during their super bowl run in 2008. They had a hard time selling it out and as a season ticket holder who had dreamed of a home playoff game for a decade, I couldn't figure it out. Why would people who had paid for regular season tickets decline the opportunity for a playoff game?

I thi the answers are relevant to our attendance. First is macroeconomics - in December 2008 the economy was starting it's freefall. In Tucson, as many have pointed out, it has never really recovered due to a lack of a solid economic engine and over-reliance on service industry jobs.

Second is scheduling. When I was 20 or even 30 I wouldn't have understood this, but once you have kids, you can't imagine the conflicts that pop up. (My sons first birthday party was scheduled for the same day as the NFC Championship game in 2008. My wife, God bless her, moved the party before I had to think about asking). With the new TV deal where most game times are set only 2 weeks in advance, you are constantly faced with this problem. Season ticket holders have a small window of opportunity to sell on stubhub etc if there is a conflict and so you end up eating tickets on occasion. The flexible scheduling times also puts a severe damper on people who may be traveling from out of town, which could impact the #'s by 2,500-5,000 depending on the game.

The schools, particularly in the Pac-12, prioritized TV over attendance. It is what it is, we shouldn't wring our hands over it.
azthrillhouse

Post by azthrillhouse »

UALoco wrote:UW attendance = 47,757. Pathetic.

...and there was a huge number of Husky fans that filled the Visitor section and then some. I was really impressed with how well they traveled, and we were such rude hosts. :lol:

I am a Cards and former season ticket holder, if you think the place is rocking now, wait till the playoffs. The win against the Eagles on the way to the Superbowl was awesome. All that said, I just prefer the college game and college crowd. If the Cards keep it up, I will try to get some playoff and superbowl tickets.
This ++. Best in-person fan experience of my life so far. (I didn't get to go to Indy in 97....)
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

So we should finish at about a 51K average after the ASSU game which isn't to bad.

We need a military night and get about 5k from the airbase to wrap around homecoming and family weekend
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

azthrillhouse wrote:
Gilbertcat wrote:I know the Cardinals claim a sellout streak but usually the 200 level is empty and half the upper level is empty after the tv station buys up the tickets to show on tv. All sports not Az basketball suffer attendance issues in Arizona.
First part of your statement is true, 2nd part is false. Club seat level is often sparse, tells me that the team needs to adjust pricing. Upper level,at have some no-shows but the "blackout lifter" TV station thing hasn't happened in forever.
Agree to disagree here. Only 85% of the non-premium seats need to be sold to lift the blackout. Thats not the same as "sellout" and usually the fox station or the cardinals will buy the remaining tickets at $.33 to the dollar. Nothing annoys me more living up here then hearing how they sold out the stadium but great tickets are still available. Just say its a packed house and make sure you are there. I usually go to a game or two a year and everytime I see a ton of seats open. This also goes for opening day at the Dbacks, the upper level is usually empty but they claim a sellout...must be a state thing.
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

I also thought 47k was a nice figure (considering the doom and gloom I heard). The side that struggled Saturday was above the student section and was shown on TV more but the west side looked full. But nothing is better then a packed house.
illcat

Post by illcat »

azcat49 wrote:So we should finish at about a 51K average after the ASSU game which isn't to bad.

We need a military night and get about 5k from the airbase to wrap around homecoming and family weekend
Like that idea.
I mean I am not complaining but it must suck for good ugly girls.
--Officer Craig

You'll forgive DW99, he's used to the methed-out slores in Tempe ...
--Reydituto
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Great Idea J.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

azcat49 wrote:So we should finish at about a 51K average after the ASSU game which isn't to bad.

Send that sucker to GB. I like it.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Get some jets to fly over as well...
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

There has been lots of talk across all of the Arizona message boards and on 1290 bashing Arizona fans and for not filling Arizona stadium. This is not one of those posts. I want to instead stand up for the fans who have been there to support Wildcat football.

The fans that have been in the stadium this year have made a difference and have been rewarded with some great finishes.

They stayed and cheered when the Cats were down 3 TDs to Cal and rocked the stadium during the first 27 points of the 4th quarter. And then the Hill Mary. The crowd held their breath as one and then exploded in joy and disbelief after watching one of the great comebacks in Arizona history. Even after the win, fans remained in the stadium to celebrate together an amazing and improbable victory.

Even though USC was a loss the fans were there to help cheer the team into a position to win and help share the frustration of the loss. And because they stayed to watch USC it made the Washington game that much sweeter.

Now, last weekend, first off there is some bad information out there. There was not a mass exodus during half time. Large groups of people left the north and east sides of the stands to seek shade after sitting in the sun for 2 hours. The concourses on the north and east side were packed with people escaping the sun and cooling off before returning to the stadium for the second half.

I never saw a mass exodus from this game despite the fact that Washington outplayed Arizona most of the night. The crowd remained to cheer the defense as they kept as in the game and to try and coax one last score out of the offense.

Was everyone heading for the exit when Washington scored there last 1st down? Sure, but they turned right around and stood transfixed after Coach Peterson gave the Cats one last chance at the ball.

I don't know how it sounded in your car or living room or sports bar or wherever you watched the final 2 minutes of the game, but "Let it be" never sounded better than it did in Arizona Stadium sung by die hard Wildcat fans as they waited for the replay to confirm the ruling on the field.

In those final 2 minutes of the game the fans in the stadium got to experience a seasons worth of emotions. Defeat turned to hope and then almost immediately to triumph as Anu finally connected with a receiver in the end zone. Shit, on the line, OK, lets see if we can still win this. They groaned together when Casey kicked it wide right and celebrated as one when his second kick sealed a Wildcat victory.

A Wildcat win is always great, but it is even better when you are part of it as a cheering fan sharing the emotions with your team in person.

I am tired of hearing why people don't go to the games. Your choice and your loss. I do want to stand up for the fans that sacrifice their time to come cheer Arizona to victory. You make a difference in the games and in recruiting and are part of what is being built at Arizona Football.

Bear Down! Beat the Utes! Destroy ASSu!
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Great post ANG.

I won't complain about seeing empty seats on TV because when you turn on any other college football game you see the same exact thing. I mean, does anyone think Michigan is getting 100K+ to fill the Big House this season? The last game I watched it literally looked half empty. So if Arizona Stadium looks 9/10ths full, then we're doing as well or sometimes even better than some of the blue blood programs out there.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?