Washington wins by just taking a knee

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

TheGreatCatsby

Washington wins by just taking a knee

Post by TheGreatCatsby »

After Washington got their last first down, they didn't have to snap the ball on 1st down until 1:24 was left on the clock. If they just take a knee there, take 4 seconds off the clock taking a knee on first down, Arizona calls its last timeout at 1:20. On 2nd down Washington takes a knee again, burn 5 seconds running 2nd down kneel down play and refs spotting it....tick tick tick all the way down to 35 seconds if they just let the 40 second play clock run before 3rd down. Snap 3rd down with 35 seconds on the clock, take a knee, end of game. Wow we're lucky!
scumdevils86

Re: Washington wins by just taking a knee

Post by scumdevils86 »

They royally fucked up. Oh well...
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

They should of used their timeouts on the running plays after Jones touchdown was called not a catch. Btw, how big was that missed extra point by Washington?
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
TheGreatCatsby

Post by TheGreatCatsby »

In a way that f-up made up a little bit for the infamous interception up there at Washington when they said it bounced off our receiver's foot when it really bounced off the turf too. And that final fumble by Washington today was pretty close, looked at it again and his right knee may have been down before our defensive guy even got his hand in there to start ripping it out. Wasn't a very clear view though, so had to let it stand. Love being on the other side of this for a change.

Love this weekend...3 Wildcat games in 3 days, lets sweep it Cats.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Irish27 wrote:They should of used their timeouts on the running plays after Jones touchdown was called not a catch. Btw, how big was that missed extra point by Washington?
Huge.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

TheGreatCatsby wrote:After Washington got their last first down, they didn't have to snap the ball on 1st down until 1:24 was left on the clock. If they just take a knee there, take 4 seconds off the clock taking a knee on first down, Arizona calls its last timeout at 1:20. On 2nd down Washington takes a knee again, burn 5 seconds running 2nd down kneel down play and refs spotting it....tick tick tick all the way down to 35 seconds if they just let the 40 second play clock run before 3rd down. Snap 3rd down with 35 seconds on the clock, take a knee, end of game. Wow we're lucky!

Yep.

The football Gods definitely smiled on the U of A this afternoon. The Huskies kicked our asses on both LOS for most of the game but still managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.
cats101

Post by cats101 »

TheGreatCatsby wrote:In a way that f-up made up a little bit for the infamous interception up there at Washington when they said it bounced off our receiver's foot when it really bounced off the turf too. And that final fumble by Washington today was pretty close, looked at it again and his right knee may have been down before our defensive guy even got his hand in there to start ripping it out. Wasn't a very clear view though, so had to let it stand. Love being on the other side of this for a change.

Love this weekend...3 Wildcat games in 3 days, lets sweep it Cats.
Oh man that play is the sole reason I hate the mutts in both sports.

What a duck up. Oh well, I'll take it
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

We are not a good team.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

We really really aren't that good..but 8 wins in the regular season and a winning conference record guaranteed is automatically a top 3 season for us in the last 20 years...
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

CalStateTempe wrote:We are not a good team.
We're not bad. We're ok. Good enough to win maybe 9-10 games in a tough division.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I recorded the game and listened to enough on the radio that I don't feel then need to torture myself by watching the game.

Our D is awful. Our O is schizo. At the beginning of the season I predicted 9-3 and we are still on track for that, but man there have been some ugly wins.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Just win baby
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

CalStateTempe wrote:We are not a good team.
Not sure you can say that a 8-2 team is not a good team. Not a great team, but have to be atleast an okay team.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

CalStateTempe wrote:
Our D is awful.
I give the D credit for only giving up 9 points in the second half, both after turnovers by the offense.

Last four UDub drives: Punt, Punt, Punt, Fumble.

Offense is not holding up their end of the bargain. Our D is not awful - it was 6th in the PAC-12 is scoring defense going into
this week, and gave up our average. 2.7 points per game from being second.

SCORING DEFENSE G TD FG XPT 2XP DXP Saf Points Avg/G
1. Stanford 9 17 9 16 0 0 0 145 16.1
2. USC 10 30 8 25 1 0 1 233 23.3
3. Utah 9 27 11 26 0 0 0 221 24.6
4. Arizona State 9 27 11 27 0 1 0 224 24.9
5. Oregon 10 30 14 26 1 0 0 250 25.0
6. Arizona 9 29 10 27 1 0 1 235 26.1
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Our D was definitely our best side of the ball today. If someone thinks our D is awful, they must really hate our offense.

(well, ok, maybe special teams was the best side of the ball...)
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Our D stepped the fuck up today. The offense did them no favors and they still came up with stops late.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Yikes... damn autocorrect.

I meant our D is Awesome, as a contrast to a O that doesn't click.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Furd 5-5 with the best defense in the conference, yikes. Our D today was gassed in the first half. We had so many 3 and outs it was almost not fair.

When you think we give up 26 ppg with our quick tempo game giving the other team 80 plays regularly, you have to be impressed
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
SDCAT23

Post by SDCAT23 »

I thought Washington would line up in the victory formation for a few snaps after getting the first down with 2 minutes left. I wouldn't be surprised if after Petersen collects himself he takes the blame instead of blaming his "chart".
prh

Post by prh »

If we take out the 21 garbage time points by WSU, then I think we move up to #2
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

CalStateTempe wrote: I meant our D is Awesome, as a contrast to a O that doesn't click.

Giving up 200 yards in the first quarter, and 359 at half is not awesome, even compared to a very anemic offense.

UDub just self destructed all game. 9 penalties in the first half.

Miles losing the ball twice without contact. Unreal.

UA regained some of the luck they had early in the season they have not had so much recently.
UofAlum05

Post by UofAlum05 »

Arizona fans are so jaded they can't even celebrate a hard fought win over a clearly more talented team. Arizona is 8-2 in one of the toughest divisions in football. Enjoy it people.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

This season so far has proven that, in the case of the Arizona offense, it is better to be lucky than good.

And if UW is "more talented," I shudder to think what that makes the other teams that beat the Huskies.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

UofAlum05 wrote:Arizona fans are so jaded they can't even celebrate a hard fought win over a clearly more talented team. Arizona is 8-2 in one of the toughest divisions in football. Enjoy it people.
Uw is not a good team nor clearly more talented
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

ASUHATER! wrote:
UofAlum05 wrote:Arizona fans are so jaded they can't even celebrate a hard fought win over a clearly more talented team. Arizona is 8-2 in one of the toughest divisions in football. Enjoy it people.
Uw is not a good team nor clearly more talented

I didn't understand the "more talented" statement either. OK, Dwayne Washington was pretty good, but the 3-3-5 defense makes pretty much every QB look like Joe Montana. Miles had 2 fumbles, Solomon 2 picks, so pretty much a wash there.
UofAlum05

Post by UofAlum05 »

UW has 3 1st rounders on their front 7.

You all are right. We are 8-2 and heading towards the top-10 but no reason to be happy. Arizona has such a strong football tradition that this is just totally unacceptable.
Augdogs

Post by Augdogs »

Enjoy it. We have a chance at being 10-2 in the regular season.
Augdogs

Post by Augdogs »

As "brilliant" as Chris Petersen is for tricky plays, his team was undisciplined and he failed to close the game by fundamental clock management.

That stuff works in a weaker conference or playing trap games against teams with a national power house reputation. He has too much talent and don't see him leading UW to where it should be.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

UofAlum05 wrote:UW has 3 1st rounders on their front 7.
QFT. They've got monsters on that line. The fact the RR was able to get Wilson over 100 yards on those guys is a credit to him just finding a way. One more big D-line to face coming up.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Merkin wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote: I meant our D is Awesome, as a contrast to a O that doesn't click.

Giving up 200 yards in the first quarter, and 359 at half is not awesome, even compared to a very anemic offense.

UDub just self destructed all game. 9 penalties in the first half.

Miles losing the ball twice without contact. Unreal.

UA regained some of the luck they had early in the season they have not had so much recently.
Exactly. Can't recall a victory more gift-wrapped than this one. Allowing that offense more than 500 yards is not good.
Right where I want to be.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Arizona was a clear favorite. I'm enjoying it. Just not deluded.

Washington is the 11th ranked offense and seventh ranked defense. Arizona is fourth on O and eightth on D. So UW is not clearly more talented.
Right where I want to be.
Catstatic

Post by Catstatic »

From my perspective it was the worst Pac 12 game for us this year. We outplayed SC but turnovers and the missed 2 point conversion and field goal cost us that game. UCLA only got 17 on us, and our receivers couldn't have caught an STD in Tijuana that game! The first 3 quarters against Cal were ridiculous, but the 4th quarter will go down in Arizona football history.

Washington? We were off the entire game and still won. Years past would have been a 30 point loss. One thing about this team: they absolutely never back down. Grind out a win? If that's what it takes! Just win, baby! Still, why Washington didn't take a knee and punt the ball away with 15 seconds left is beyond me. We needed some luck, and we got it!

8-2 with a freshman QB. Who knew?

Go Cats!!
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Catstatic wrote:UCLA only got 17 on us, and our receivers couldn't have caught an STD in Tijuana that game!
:lol: :lol:
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Anyone have video of the last 5 minutes?
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
SDCAT23

Post by SDCAT23 »

I was wrong Pertesen basically said today if he had to make the call again he wouldn't change anything. Smh, whatever thanks for giving us the opportunity to steal that one

SDCAT23 wrote:I thought Washington would line up in the victory formation for a few snaps after getting the first down with 2 minutes left. I wouldn't be surprised if after Petersen collects himself he takes the blame instead of blaming his "chart".
TheGreatCatsby

Post by TheGreatCatsby »

Petersen did defend his end of game strategy today. Think it was a matter of some heat of the moment indecision/confusion that cost him. But running a play where you slam your running back is still running a play, just like a kneel down, but risks a lot more things like a fumble, but burns a few extra seconds.

But he does get $3.2 million dollars a year for the sole purpose to win a football game. I don't get paid anything and would have come away with the W :idea: And they wouldn't have to punt either. Let's do the math again. Remember it's 40 second play clock. Arizona had 1 timeout after Washington got their last first down. While Washington did snap their final play that caused the fumble at 1:33, there was still 9 seconds on the play clock when they snapped it.

Let's assume Washington snaps the ball with 1 second left at 1:25 and takes a kneel down play on 1st down: Play burns 5 seconds before timeout called, refs see timeout, wave arms, and timekeeper stops clock.

1:20: Arizona calls its final timeout.
1:20: Washington snaps the ball for 2nd down, takes a kneel down, and ref retrieves ball and quickly spots it (5 seconds elapse)
1:15: 40 second play clock starts for 3rd down. Let 38 seconds expire before snapping 3rd down with 2 seconds left on play clock. 1:15=75 seconds; 75 seconds - 38 seconds = 0:37 on the game clock.
0:37: Washington snaps the ball on 3rd down with 2 seconds remaining on play clock. Burn 5 seconds running play, ref retrieves ball and respots it (5 seconds elapse)
0:32: 40 second play clock starts for 4th down. Game over, Washington doesn't even need to snap ball or punt it. They still have ~8 seconds to spare!

Game over. No punt. And Washington sends me a check for 1/12 of Chris's salary, or $266,666.66 for the W. Not bad for a day's work haha. Even helps them get more bowl eligible, more money for the coffers. What a deal.