Post by whatisee »

azcat49 wrote:
azgreg wrote:

Who committed to us?
who's twitter is that?
Beermancats

Re: 2016 Recruit/Commitment Thread

Post by Beermancats »

Most likely Lorenzo Burns, but not 100% sure. Whoever it is wants to keep it on the down low so he can announce on signing day.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I wonder if he used Twitter this much at Boise St. or has Matty influenced him a bit?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

azgreg wrote:I wonder if he used Twitter this much at Boise St. or has Matty influenced him a bit?
He was at San Jose State prior to here and it certainly appears he has always been very active on twitter.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Chacho Chacho Chacho. Drums beating.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Whats your thoughts on Chacho Chief?

I would say this does feel like a class where we had an entirely new staff coming in who is scrambling to fill a bunch of spots at the end. But I am optimistic they fill them with great players.

Any thoughts on Jabari Watson. Know he de-committed and was looking at Boise State heavily. Wondering if we do not request he grey-shirt and take him in the fall with Yates on board. We need more DL players
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

whatisee wrote:
azcat49 wrote:
azgreg wrote:

Who committed to us?
who's twitter is that?
Kwesi Mashack, not sure who is referring to but most likely someone in the LA area.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

Newportcat wrote:Whats your thoughts on Chacho Chief?

I would say this does feel like a class where we had an entirely new staff coming in who is scrambling to fill a bunch of spots at the end. But I am optimistic they fill them with great players.

Any thoughts on Jabari Watson. Know he de-committed and was looking at Boise State heavily. Wondering if we do not request he grey-shirt and take him in the fall with Yates on board. We need more DL players
On Watson, Yates said he told Harsin that he wasn't going to poach Boise St. recruits and if anyone was committed to BSU he wanted them to stay committed. Now Watson apparently is still available and not committed, so I wonder where that falls on the spectrum as far as who's fair game for Yates. Another factor for Watson is that there's still no DL coach.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

I love Chacho. I think he would be a great get and fit very nicely in the new scheme. I'm confident that the new crew will close out the class in good fashion. Watson isn't going to happen.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

Asking a healthy committed player to grey shirt is coaches speak for we aren't going to pull your scholarship but we would be perfectly fine with you leaving.
Scummy Dick Douglas

Post by Scummy Dick Douglas »

Devaughn Cooper was quietly slated to take an official visit to ASU this weekend. UA coaches found out about it and threatened to pull his scholi, so he canceled last minute. Figured you guys would appreciate that.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

gronk4heisman wrote:Asking a healthy committed player to grey shirt is coaches speak for we aren't going to pull your scholarship but we would be perfectly fine with you leaving.
Not usually
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Scummy Dick Douglas wrote:Devaughn Cooper was quietly slated to take an official visit to ASU this weekend. UA coaches found out about it and threatened to pull his scholi, so he canceled last minute. Figured you guys would appreciate that.
He's apparently visiting here instead.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

chiefzona wrote:

I love Chacho. I think he would be a great get and fit very nicely in the new scheme. I'm confident that the new crew will close out the class in good fashion. Watson isn't going to happen.
I just watched his highlight tape. Looks like he has great route recognition, knows how to bait a QB, knows how to play his coverages, just has good instincts and the talent to use them. Yes please.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

We made Fitzpatricks final 4 today! He is going to Nebraska more then likely but man would it be nice to get a better Caleb Jones
Footballjunkie

Post by Footballjunkie »

azpenguin wrote:
chiefzona wrote:

I just watched his highlight tape. Looks like he has great route recognition, knows how to bait a QB, knows how to play his coverages, just has good instincts and the talent to use them. Yes please.
Is he better than 4* Safety Lamar Jackson?
Are we talking to him as he hasn't commited yet.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

Footballjunkie wrote:
azpenguin wrote:
chiefzona wrote:

Is he better than 4* Safety Lamar Jackson?
Are we talking to him as he hasn't commited yet.
Both of our new coaches where in Cali visiting Jackson a few days ago.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Beermancats wrote:Most likely Lorenzo Burns, but not 100% sure. Whoever it is wants to keep it on the down low so he can announce on signing day.
Burns must be awfully skinny, but he has a nice looking offer list.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

I would say we have about 9 spots left to fill, the list of big names we are still in on are as follows (in order of ranking) let me know if I am missing anyone. It looks like we have a handful of guys we could fill this class with and some special talent that we could hopefully swoop in and steal late.

Lamar Jackson S (longshot, but the new guys are trying hard)
Connor Murphy DE (very unlikely especially with Harbaugh having sleep overs at his house)
Desmond Fitzpatrick WR (1 in 4 shot, could definitely fill the roll of Wide Out early with our lack of size)
Chacho Ulloa S (looking good)
Josh Allen DE (would be more surprised if he chooses someone else)
TaDarryl Marshall ATH (coming on strong)
Clifford Chattman S (in a good spot but will be hard to beat the big names coming after him)
Terrell Burgess CB (looking good)
Lorenzo Burns CB (ours to lose)
Troy Cassidy LB (haven't heard much here)
Kaelin Himphill LB (looking good)
Jarius Wallace S (looking good)
Francisco Nelson DE (looking good)
Mike Daniels CB (looking good)
Scummy Dick Douglas

Post by Scummy Dick Douglas »

re: Lamar Jackson- sounds like its ASU or Nebraska. He is close with Byron Murphy, so I think any chance ASU had with Jackson might have gone with Murphy to UW. He is scheduled to announce next Thursday.
Kcwildcat27

Post by Kcwildcat27 »

gronk4heisman wrote:I would say we have about 9 spots left to fill, the list of big names we are still in on are as follows (in order of ranking) let me know if I am missing anyone. It looks like we have a handful of guys we could fill this class with and some special talent that we could hopefully swoop in and steal late.

Lamar Jackson S (longshot, but the new guys are trying hard)
Connor Murphy DE (very unlikely especially with Harbaugh having sleep overs at his house)
Desmond Fitzpatrick WR (1 in 4 shot, could definitely fill the roll of Wide Out early with our lack of size)
Chacho Ulloa S (looking good)
Josh Allen DE (would be more surprised if he chooses someone else)
TaDarryl Marshall ATH (coming on strong)
Clifford Chattman S (in a good spot but will be hard to beat the big names coming after him)
Terrell Burgess CB (looking good)
Lorenzo Burns CB (ours to lose)
Troy Cassidy LB (haven't heard much here)
Kaelin Himphill LB (looking good)
Jarius Wallace S (looking good)
Francisco Nelson DE (looking good)
Mike Daniels CB (looking good)
From what I have seen it sounds like Jarius Wallace will choose Colorado. I think we have better options at that position anyway especially if they can land Chacho.
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

Scummy Dick Douglas wrote:re: Lamar Jackson- sounds like its ASU or Nebraska. He is close with Byron Murphy, so I think any chance ASU had with Jackson might have gone with Murphy to UW. He is scheduled to announce next Thursday.
Arizona had an in-home with him and crazier things have happened. Jackson has been all over the place with his recruitment so I think there's a small chance, but he probably doesn't come to Arizona.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Beginning to wonder about potential transfers from the program with the changes. Might account for the high volume of late offers
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

azcat49 wrote:Beginning to wonder about potential transfers from the program with the changes. Might account for the high volume of late offers
Doubt it. There's a lot of offers because there's a lot of slots open with the decommitments. From what I've seen the players are pretty excited about the new staff; they're not knocking Casteel but they like the new guys. (I could be wrong, but that's the vibe I've gotten.)
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

Burns got offered by a lot of schools because he was so impressive during camps/ 7 on 7 stuff. Apparently he is a good cover guy and had some good offers. He is a bit skinny, but he should do well after a RS. Would be a good pick up if he is indeed the guy.
TuiTouchdown

Post by TuiTouchdown »

Cal just lost their OC to Middle Tennessee for the same position. Wonder if it'll have an impact on the recruits. I imagine it would. And I know we lost out on some commits to Cal.

Stovall is one name I can think of. If I recall he was looking at us a bit.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

It's Dykes system, so I doubt it will lose much
TuiTouchdown

Post by TuiTouchdown »

I'm sure he'd be the one out on the recruiting trail. I'm sure it won't help them at all.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

TuiTouchdown wrote:I'm sure he'd be the one out on the recruiting trail. I'm sure it won't help them at all.
It is as likely to hurt their recruiting as losing one of our co-OC's would hurt us if either were to leave. I doubt it will help the, but it's unlikely to hurt them much.
Sidewinder

Post by Sidewinder »

Looks like Utsey just flipped to Mizzou
"Yeah, well, I always heard there were three kinds of suns in kansas: sunshine, sunflowers, and sons-of-bitches"
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Fuck, I hope so Matt...
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

None of these decommits are losses. There will be others leaving the program as well which is ok. There are going to be a few growing pains but the direction of the program is up.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Donte had been in home with him earlier in the week. Have to wonder if they told him he may want to look elsewhere or that he was greyshirting?
Last edited by azcat49 on Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Chicat wrote: Fuck, I hope so Matt...
I am from Missouri... The second part of a more famous version of that quote is "until you get punched in the mouth".

We should expect to have to take one step back before taking 2 forward with a coaching change... and we can't make any assessments until we see what magic the new staff can work, but for a team that needs as much help on the defensive side of the ball as we do - this is getting awfully concerning.

Methinks we need to get a new DL coach named sooner rather than later. Fingers crossed.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

chiefzona wrote:None of these decommits are losses. There will be others leaving the program as well which is ok. There are going to be a few growing pains but the direction of the program is up.
You said that about most of these recruits when they committed. no one is arguing with you now...

I just hope we do not end up having to sign a bunch of warm bodies.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Man, I have to admit I was fired up at our defensive hires and still am but man have we taken some hits. Basically we will get no goodwill now for making the PAC 12 championship game in 2014. The 2015 class was too late supposedly to take advantage of it but the 2016 class was when the gravy was coming in. In my mind we basically got Tate and Elitese and that's kind of it. Now we are scrambling

Unless this class finishes strong I think I am going to go full negative again on Arizona football recruiting as it seems like we will never be able to recruit well unless we built crazy facilities. Even then I am not so sure especially along the OL and DL

We can't ever recruit in state players well. The year after we make the PAC 12 game we have one Tucson commit and what looks to be zero Phoenix commits in the entire class.

When we go to California we better pray Stanford or USC or UCLA don't end up offering the kid because they will switch so fast it makes your head spin if they do or come calling late.

We go to other places in the country like Arkansas or Penn or Florida and seems to be the same thing if a local school or SEC school offers well we are screwed too.

So always seem to be left with scraps as we have little history to sell, average facilities, and not a strong tradition of putting guys in the league

Hope I am wrong but we have sucked for so many years recruiting OL and DL. That is where the wars are won. All the guys we are still working on seem to be a lot of safety's and WR's. We need the big horses on both sides of the ball. We have had two OL drafted since 2004. And I believe only 5 DL since then too.

We better recruit the DL strong next year, maybe first we should actually hire a DL coach

Man I hate being this negative but just feels like we can never win when it comes to recruiting
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Newportcat wrote:Man, I have to admit I was fired up at our defensive hires and still am but man have we taken some hits. Basically we will get no goodwill now for making the PAC 12 championship game in 2014. The 2015 class was too late supposedly to take advantage of it but the 2016 class was when the gravy was coming in. In my mind we basically got Tate and Elitese and that's kind of it. Now we are scrambling

Unless this class finishes strong I think I am going to go full negative again on Arizona football recruiting as it seems like we will never be able to recruit well unless we built crazy facilities. Even then I am not so sure especially along the OL and DL

We can't ever recruit in state players well. The year after we make the PAC 12 game we have one Tucson commit and what looks to be zero Phoenix commits in the entire class.

When we go to California we better pray Stanford or USC or UCLA don't end up offering the kid because they will switch so fast it makes your head spin if they do or come calling late.

We go to other places in the country like Arkansas or Penn or Florida and seems to be the same thing if a local school or SEC school offers well we are screwed too.

So always seem to be left with scraps as we have little history to sell, average facilities, and not a strong tradition of putting guys in the league

Hope I am wrong but we have sucked for so many years recruiting OL and DL. That is where the wars are won. All the guys we are still working on seem to be a lot of safety's and WR's. We need the big horses on both sides of the ball. We have had two OL drafted since 2004. And I believe only 5 DL since then too.

We better recruit the DL strong next year, maybe first we should actually hire a DL coach

Man I hate being this negative but just feels like we can never win when it comes to recruiting
Did you expect the new staff have 10 4* commits in one week! For fucks sake have some patience.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Seriously. Been a week. They're good recruiters but they aren't going to sign a top 10 class with 3 weeks on the job. The 2016 class will be a scramble but I have faith that they'll be fine recruiting.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

I'd expect fallout from the changes that have occurred. Maybe even some based on the RR-South Carolina flirtation (not much). Some of the decommits are going to other nice programs. Some which have more accomplishments than AZ. I doubt they are all doing bad evaluations and flipping AZ commits because they want to add "losses" to their rosters.

And if the recent decommits are not "losses" they why in the Hell did AZ offer them in the first place? Take their verbal? Yes, coaches who are now gone for some of those decommits, but RR on top of that approval pyramid. He approved their verbal. What, he's does bad evaluations? After last season during his signing day presser, he vowed to take more ownership because last year was not really what he wanted. So yea, RR approving bad recruits I guess. Maybe, but not all. Good Homer talk for us fans that, "Hey, no big deal, that decomnmit was not good anyway. not a loss". But UCLA, Oklahoma, Mizzou are no slouches to lose commits to.

Come on, some pretty brand schools spent time and resources to flip them "not losses".

Have to give new staff some time to see what they can do with an entire class. Giving them one month is not enough. But this class I expect will be rough. Patchwork. Maybe a couple terrific recruits. But that's likely the reality. No gonna bury my head in the sand. Or be like a Scheer, Encinas, etc. and homerize it completely and say this is the best thing to happen for this class. 2016 recruiting class world beaters. The decommits were baggage anyway. Not a loss at all. Check out their tweets and posts when those same recruits committed. Homerville positive. They're selling, marketing their interests. They have subscriptions and clicks to maintain and keep fans hyped up. Not lose hope or interest.

Some rough waters, good. Some maybe coaches wanted to decommit, great. But not all. For me, 2017 will be the real first test to see how all the new changes/staff produce. Execute.. Get some sampling this year.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

RazorsEdgeAZ wrote:I'd expect fallout from the changes that have occurred. Maybe even some based on the RR-South Carolina flirtation (not much). Some of the decommits are going to other nice programs. Some which have more accomplishments than AZ. I doubt they are all doing bad evaluations and flipping AZ commits because they want to add "losses" to their rosters.

And if the recent decommits are not "losses" they why in the Hell did AZ offer them in the first place? Take their verbal? Yes, coaches who are now gone for some of those decommits, but RR on top of that approval pyramid. He approved their verbal. What, he's does bad evaluations? After last season during his signing day presser, he vowed to take more ownership because last year was not really what he wanted. So yea, RR approving bad recruits I guess. Maybe, but not all. Good Homer talk for us fans that, "Hey, no big deal, that decomnmit was not good anyway. not a loss". But UCLA, Oklahoma, Mizzou are no slouches to lose commits to.

Come on, some pretty brand schools spent time and resources to flip them "not losses".

Have to give new staff some time to see what they can do with an entire class. Giving them one month is not enough. But this class I expect will be rough. Patchwork. Maybe a couple terrific recruits. But that's likely the reality. No gonna bury my head in the sand. Or be like a Scheer, Encinas, etc. and homerize it completely and say this is the best thing to happen for this class. 2016 recruiting class world beaters. The decommits were baggage anyway. Not a loss at all. Check out their tweets and posts when those same recruits committed. Homerville positive. They're selling, marketing their interests. They have subscriptions and clicks to maintain and keep fans hyped up. Not lose hope or interest.

Some rough waters, good. Some maybe coaches wanted to decommit, great. But not all. For me, 2017 will be the real first test to see how all the new changes/staff produce. Execute.. Get some sampling this year.
Great post... Agree 100%.

The 'not a big loss' comment on decommits is an indictment of ever offering them in the first place, especially early in the process, whether those doing it realize it or not. And funny that those same recruits were talked up by many of those now dismissing them. That's being a lemming.

Regardless, let's just hope we can bring in a few new names at positions where we need help. This class is not going to be a home run, but hopefully we don't strike out, either. And then next year see the start of a positive trend on the recruiting trail, because we need it badly.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

Scummy Dick Douglas wrote:Devaughn Cooper was quietly slated to take an official visit to ASU this weekend. UA coaches found out about it and threatened to pull his scholi, so he canceled last minute. Figured you guys would appreciate that.

Only going on assumption this is accurate (I don't know). But I just don't understand these guidelines from AZ. Devaughn Cooper, if you take that official, we're pulling your offer. Then London Iakopo takes official this weekend to Louisville? There's been inconsistencies I've read about in the past years as well. Not just this example.

Then add in that Rich Rod tells the media it was beneficial for him to go interview with South Carolina? That it opened his eyes to compare programs and see how good he has it at AZ. That it was useful to learn what's happening at another program (spin). Recruits get five Officials. That's the rules. I don't like the apparent double standard. Beneficial to compare in one situation, but "threats" if you compare towards a recruit (only to some apparently) if you do. Be consistent. Just don't like the perceived inconsistency. If I'm thinking it, then I have to assume some recruits and their parents talk about that inconsistency as well.

Verbals are not binding, situations change, Change the rules or at least be consistent with all recruits and with what's beneficial for both coaches and recruits.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

#ontothenextone
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

Tristan Cooper?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

RazorsEdgeAZ wrote:Tristan Cooper?
yep
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

Dude can lay the wood.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Lets hope he doesn't de-commit before signing day

Good article on Coach Donte

http://tucson.com/sports/football/colle ... 472aa.html
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

3goggles wrote:
Newportcat wrote:Man, I have to admit I was fired up at our defensive hires and still am but man have we taken some hits. Basically we will get no goodwill now for making the PAC 12 championship game in 2014. The 2015 class was too late supposedly to take advantage of it but the 2016 class was when the gravy was coming in. In my mind we basically got Tate and Elitese and that's kind of it. Now we are scrambling

Did you expect the new staff have 10 4* commits in one week! For fucks sake have some patience.
No but I didnt expect to have this many de commits from so many of the guys I was excited about in this class. I was fired up on Modster and Burton and Allen and Utsey and Kapri as they were either highly ranked or recruits at positions of great need. Now we might still get Allen but this class has taken big hits at positions we desperately need talent at if we want to get to a Rose Bowl anytime soon. Just frustrating and feel like every year there is an excuse on why our recruiting class wasn't great under Rich Rod except our 2014 class.

This class should finish strong but losing Modster, Burton, Utsey, and Kapri hurts short term and long term in my opinion and speaks to structural problems that I believe exist in our program. I love Donte and Marcel but we need talent today not in 2017.

Here is a pathetic fact, we have not brought in a high school DE since our 2013 class. We have none committed to this class either and I think are only targeting one low level guy at this point. We have brought in 3 JC DE's since then, two of which never played a down for us and one of which got suspended half way through the season and will probably never play for us again.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Clifford Chattman just committed to the "university of Florida state".
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion