Most Important Player

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

ANGCatFan

Most Important Player

Post by ANGCatFan »

Ted Miller at ESPN is breaking down the most important player for each team (non-QB). His pick for Arizona - Scooby Wright. http://espn.go.com/blog/pac12/post/_/id ... -arizona-3

I have to agree with Ted. Scooby may be the one player on our team hardest to replace. As a true sophomore he will be counted on for defensive leadership and play calling why we continue to build up depth and experience on the defensive side of the ball.

My one problem with Miller's article - Scooby was not an unknown to the UofA coaches. They made him a recruiting priority using a private plane to make sure he was locked up. The coaches knew about his motor before he arrived on campus and where recruiting services had him rated 2 star our coaches rated him as a top recruit. Scooby Wright is a great example of this staff's eye for talent.

Any other nominations for most important player (non-QB)?
Last edited by ANGCatFan on Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
azgreg

Re: Most Important Player

Post by azgreg »

Welcome to the forum buddy. looking forward to your player posts.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ANGCatFan wrote:Any other nominations for most important player (non-QB)?
For me, it's Austin Hill. I know we're stacked at WR, but he's such a game-changer and leader that if he comes back at even 90% of what he was, he'll be far and away the biggest star on the most important side of the ball (scheme-wise).

I was also tempted to put whoever replaces Ka'Deem, but since we're still a ways from figuring out who exactly will get the majority of the touches at RB, I held off.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

azgreg wrote:Welcome to the forum buddy. looking forward to your player posts.
I told Scout I was moving the countdown there before this site was created. For at least this year the countdown will stay at Scout, but I have been a member here and reading everything since day one. I hope the Co-Op, succeeds, thrives, and returns to the most active Wildcat football site.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Chicat wrote:For me, it's Austin Hill. I know we're stacked at WR, but he's such a game-changer and leader that if he comes back at even 90% of what he was, he'll be far and away the biggest star on the most important side of the ball (scheme-wise).
I'd say Hill going into the season is our best proven player. He says he is much stronger in the upper body and now we just need to see if he still has his I will run thru a goal post to catch a ball focus. But if (God forbid), Hill gets injured again we have talent and experience to back him up. If we loose Scooby, I'd be very concerned for our defense.
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

ANGCatFan wrote:My one problem with Miller's article - Scooby was not an unknown to the UofA coaches. They made him a recruiting priority using a private plane to make sure he was locked up. The coaches new about his motor before he arrived on campus and where recruiting services had him rated 2 star our coaches rated him as a top recruit. Scooby Wright is a great example of this staff's eye for talent.
Agreed! "unheralded"?? Arizona staff with their homework was early with Scooby Wright. Scooby received VIP treatment from Arizona coaches. Private plane, commercial and made sure Rich Rod and all 11 of his assistants were there to greet Scooby from his Taxi ride on his unofficial visit. Here's a Local paper story on Scooby's and Arizona's VIP recruiting treatment http://www.pdpreps.com/news/article/422 ... bys-focus/
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

What about Bondurant? Adds playmaking ability and senior leadership.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Devonte Neal. The most important player will be on offense IMO. With the departure of KC, eyes have to shift over to an new offensive marquee player. Neal will be used in many different ways this year. KOs, punts, slot, inside, outside, RB....heck I wouldn't be surprised to see him in a Wildcat. Lol. Getting the ball in his hands will be very important. It makes the opposing DCs key in on him while allowing Hill and Jones wide open. Very important.
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

I would say Bondurant, but we have capable players that are sitting behind him. My next would be Scooby, but we also have some solid LB's behind him also. I'm going to go with a guy that will need to have a great year for our defense to be successful and it's Jonathon McKnight. He was banged up all of last year and was pretty awful, but if he can return to 2012 form or have a Shaq like senior year it will mean so much to this team. If he gets injured were going to have to throw some young and in-experienced guys out there.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

On Offense I will go Devonte Neal for the exact reason Chief described. Neal will lead to easier RB situation and a even better receiver situation as the defense has to keep an eye on the moving Neal. It will also help the new QB. Although Hill or Jones might have bigger yards in receptions.

On Defense I a mixed between Bondo and Scooby. Scooby is my favorite player hands down for the upcoming year. Although I'm not sure how big of an impact he will have as a MLB. So, I probably lean Bondo because he will be flying all over the field. I can't wait to see him take a few for a pick 6.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
Sage&Silver

Post by Sage&Silver »

Anyone else think of the end of Snatch when they saw that photo? Everyone is in shock but Rich Rod (Pitt's character).
ghostwhitehorse

Post by ghostwhitehorse »

Sage&Silver wrote:Anyone else think of the end of Snatch when they saw that photo? Everyone is in shock but Rich Rod (Pitt's character).

RR has a "you had better catch that thing!" look on his face.
Scallywag

Post by Scallywag »

Offense: Davonte Neal

Defense: Jordan Allen

Both will be hungry as Hell to make a statement. NFL on the line for Allen and that's a pretty big motivational factor to consider. Chief nailed why Neal will be special and I also agree with Chief that RR will utilize his speed in the Wildcat which will be a lot of fun to watch. Not so much for our opponents.... :D

So many other players to choose from with great story lines makes this little exercise a very good thing for all of us, it's going to be a lot of fun.

BTFD
Attachments
tumblr_mdttg0RRPs1qh0h7go1_1280.jpg
tumblr_mdttg0RRPs1qh0h7go1_1280.jpg (69.44 KiB) Viewed 1643 times
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Jordan Allen for sure on the defensive side. We don't want Bondy to be the most important because that would mean our pass rush and run stop capabilities aren't good. If Allen creates havoc on the that End, it will open up a plethora of possibilities for Casteel. We need a pass rush more this season than we did last season.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Chicat wrote:
ANGCatFan wrote:Any other nominations for most important player (non-QB)?
For me, it's Austin Hill. I know we're stacked at WR, but he's such a game-changer and leader that if he comes back at even 90% of what he was, he'll be far and away the biggest star on the most important side of the ball (scheme-wise).

I was also tempted to put whoever replaces Ka'Deem, but since we're still a ways from figuring out who exactly will get the majority of the touches at RB, I held off.
I would say the quarterback. We are pretty stacked at WR, but we still need that QB to get the ball there. A decent QB could look like a star with our weapons, and enable a running back by committee approach.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

The might be the hardest to replace but to me the most important is whomever is behind center (QB) and also in the middle of the d-line. Can't imagine two more important pieces for this year
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

I'll throw out a different one - Cam Denson. If he performs at the level that he's expected to perform at, that alone will win a couple of extra games for Arizona. It will also mean that 2015 can be the type of year we've always wanted to see.
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

Guess I'll go with Bondurant 2013 had 4 INTs and forced fumble then Tevis had 3 forced fumbles and 1 INT. Mainly because of Turnover situation.

Casteel's defense last year generated the LEAST amount of T/O's (22) then any other year with Casteel as DC. Luckily Arizona only gave up 18. Casteel Defenses historical generate lots of T/O's. Top 5 & top 10 nationally multiple times.

I feel Rich Rod even with loss of Carey will generate enough offense and points. Rich Rod offenses has generated roughly 30pts PLUS per game every year as a D1 HC EXCEPT his 1st year at WVU and Michigan.

For me, it comes down to defense and T/O's and more plays for the offense.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

The kicker and punter.
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

To me it's the QB position for sure. Runs the whole show. We've seen what RR can do in year 1 with a Matt Scott, KDC and a hand-me-down roster. Pretty amazing first season. We've seen what he can do with a very limited QB in BJ supported by an All-World workhorse RB in KDC. Pretty frustrating to watch for many of us for most of the season, but still a pretty good result in his second season with things still in flux.

So now going into the third season, we've a pretty good pool of potentially talented QBs - each with their respective strengths and weaknesses, but all of whom would appear to bring a few contrasting elements of talent and value to RR's offense. For me, order of importance is: (1) Ability to run the offense, make the reads and right decisions (obviously RR has shown, as many have pointed out, that this is his first priority; Exhibit A: B.J. Denker); (2) The Arm. Can't waste this potentially epic receiving corps. Too much fun to be had. Sounds wrong to say, but it's almost a bonus that Austin Hill was out last year when there was anyone to get him the ball and his talents would've been wasted; (3) Running ability. I think this element adds great fun to the offense, but it's the least priority with all of the other speed and athleticism available on the field. QB needs just enough to extend plays.

I don't really have a pick or a dog in the fight because I know RR and RSmith will go with No. 1 above. I'm just excited to see who it is and root hard for them. Okay. Scroggins maybe. It's the last chance for this once highly rated recruit to play some college ball, so it's come-to-Jesus time for him. But I don't like the one and done, and let's start again next year. So, Anu? But this Randall kid is intriguing . . . Which just circles me back to this stuff is fun and I'm psyched for season #3.

As to RB I'm not as concerned, but it sure seems that Spring ball observers were not impressed. It can't be all that bad, seems the recruits were considered talented across the board. I recall a lot of love for Zach Green as a downhill running bulldozer during his RS camps last year, but now not so much. I'll keep my eye out for him as a possible power runner to figure it out. Nick Wilson is not on the roster yet, but he's out there too.

23 Baker, Jared RB 5-8 188 RJr.
4 Cormier, Pierre RB 5-10 183 RFr.
34 Green, Zach RB 5-10 220 RFr.
7 Haden, Jonathan RB 5-8 190 Fr.
24 Jones-Grigsby, Terris RB 5-7 182 RSr.
TuiTouchdown

Post by TuiTouchdown »

BearDown89 wrote:
23 Baker, Jared RB 5-8 188 RJr.
4 Cormier, Pierre RB 5-10 183 RFr.
34 Green, Zach RB 5-10 220 RFr.
7 Haden, Jonathan RB 5-8 190 Fr.
24 Jones-Grigsby, Terris RB 5-7 182 RSr.

I've got my money on Baker starting and Cormier backing him up.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

@DSBerk: Trevor Ermisch has moved from WR to safety for the #ArizonaWildcats. Senior tore his ACL against Cal last season. Went on scholly before yr.
TuiTouchdown

Post by TuiTouchdown »

TuiTouchdown wrote: I've got my money on Baker starting and Cormier backing him up.
And that just goes to show you all that I have no idea what's going on.
Dkenner

Post by Dkenner »

azcat49 wrote:The might be the hardest to replace but to me the most important is whomever is behind center (QB) and also in the middle of the d-line. Can't imagine two more important pieces for this year
Agreed Qb and NT, hearing we may have a 300 pound NT this year!
TuiTouchdown

Post by TuiTouchdown »

Sharif healthy??
AuntieW

Post by AuntieW »

I thought Sharif Williams wasn't coming till next year to give his leg plenty of time to heal?
Dkenner

Post by Dkenner »

AuntieW wrote:I thought Sharif Williams wasn't coming till next year to give his leg plenty of time to heal?
Hearing he will show up in Jan 2015
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

The official site is starting a 7 part series spotlighting players. First-up Jared Tevis.

Visit arizonawildcat.com to see Tevis highlight video
Ih8assu

Post by Ih8assu »

Obviously the most important is the cook at Arcadia Tavern. I hope he bears down hard enough so the players can be successful.

But I agree with Neal as stated above.
"A year ago, the best perimeter player came to McKale, we gave him some milk and cookies, rubbed his belly & made sure he had wide open shots. If he missed, we'd even pass it back to him and see if he could break scoring records." S. Miller
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Austin Hill highlight video. There is a lot of footage they didn't use in this video. Hill has a knack for making highlight plays.
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

Scallywag wrote:Offense: Davonte Neal

Defense: Jordan Allen

Both will be hungry as Hell to make a statement. NFL on the line for Allen and that's a pretty big motivational factor to consider. Chief nailed why Neal will be special and I also agree with Chief that RR will utilize his speed in the Wildcat which will be a lot of fun to watch. Not so much for our opponents.... :D

So many other players to choose from with great story lines makes this little exercise a very good thing for all of us, it's going to be a lot of fun.

BTFD
Agree with both and I would add Cayleb Jones and Will Parks at Safety on D. We have got to get better safety play TY and I think Parks could have a breakout season.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Gimino at FSA with a story on players with something to prove (non-QB). Here are the players he covers: Austin Hill, Mickey Baucus and Fabbians Ebbele, Tra'Mayne Bondurant, Jared Baker, and Jonathan McKnight.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Very good Berk story at azcentral.
"Terris is just solid in everything he does," Magee said. "He knows the system. He can pass protect, he can catch the ball. He's a pretty good runner; you just haven't had a chance to see it."

Jones-Grigsby ran for 1,912 yards and 26 touchdowns as a senior at California High School in Whittier, Calif. A former triple-jumper, he said he has enough athleticism to make some moves in the open field, but he prides himself on his toughness and strength.

He closely watched Ka'Deem Carey the past three seasons and said he has a similar style to him.

His strength is no joke. This summer, he set a new UA running backs record in the hang clean with a lift of 397 pounds.

"I want to be explosive like Ka'Deem, but also strong and durable like he was," Jones-Grigsby said. "It was a great opportunity to learn from him and Daniel Jenkins, and I think I'm a better running back because of it."
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Very good SB Nation article by Jason Bartel on DaVonte' Neal. He will do a lot for Arizona this year on and off the field. Some key points:
But that season at Notre Dame has shaped Neal into a guy that has been on the big stage before, something that just about everyone on the Arizona roster can't really say about themselves. And that experience has made this newcomer one of the leaders of this team, and probably the most outspoken.

"That's how I am naturally," Neal said. "I like to talk to the guys, I like to get my team hyped up. Everybody plays best when everyone gets along, so I think it just comes naturally to me."

"Everybody in that room knows they're here for a reason, and everybody is going to come out here and work like they're here for a reason. We all know there's a bigger goal. We're trying to win 12 games this year. We're trying to win all of them."

"(Field goal holding) is new to me," explained Neal. "It's the first time I've done it, and it takes some time and takes some work but I think we're going to keep working at it and see what happens. Getting the spot for the kickers (is most challenging) and making sure that's where they want it at."

The area that I think Neal will be used the most? Sweep plays. His freakish speed and ability to avoid tacklers will probably be how this team gets most of its rushing yards in 2014.

"Learning sweep plays has been the primary focus, because we implement that a lot in our offense," Neal said. "Our offense is a fast-paced offense, so to catch the defense off-guard like that, it's big. It adds a whole new dynamic. You've got an offense that's just go fast, but with two people (Neal and Tyrell Johnson) on the inside. A lot of offenses don't have that."

We all know DaVonte's not lacking of any confidence, and that's a good thing considering just how important he'll be for this team to have success in all phases of the game.

"Wherever (Coach Rodriguez) puts me, I just gotta go out there and do my job to the best of my abilities."
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Daily Wildcat reporter Zachary Hynek interviews Austin Hill.

[youtube]phOzFPWZ-S4[/youtube]