17 Josh Kern and Jace Whittaker

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

ANGCatFan

17 Josh Kern and Jace Whittaker

Post by ANGCatFan »

Kern is a 6-5, 229, redshirt Junior tight end from San Antonio, TX. Originally recruited as a QB, Kern was switched to tight end in the spring of 2013. He has primarily played on special teams over the past 2 years, but also had time as a tight end last year with 1 start against Wash St. Just from my memory, Kern had only 1 pass thrown to him last year and it was short and incomplete. That was also the only pass thrown to a true tight end since Coach Rod has been at Arizona.

That will change this year. I guarantee we will have receptions by a tight end this season. Now, if I am coaching, I would only use the tight end minimally in the first 3 games. Just enough to get rid of the first game jitters. Then, against ucla, I bring out every tight end formation and pattern that Coach Rod has been saving and give them looks they have never seen from this offense. But thats just me. Whenever we do start using a tight end, Kern is the likely starter.

Whittaker is a 5-10, 163, Freshman cornerback from Oceanside HS, Oceanside, CA. He graduated high school in 2014 after earning defensive POY honors, but a knee injury made him wait a year. Whittaker enrolled at Arizona in January, so he has a head start on S&C and learning our defense.

A track star as well as offensive, defensive, and special teams threat on the football field, Whittaker should bring speed and playmaking ability to the secondary. He is a likely redshirt this year.

Here are some of the coaches' comments on Whittaker:
“Jace has the absolute perfect mental make-up to be a major cornerback in a Division I program. He’s physical, aggressive, and has great feet and ball skills. He has a great mindset for the game. I had a couple former Arizona players that all did well and I think he will be just like them. Jace is very tough and tenacious and I feel like he will do a great job in bringing those qualities to Arizona football.” – Oceanside HS Coach John Carroll

“Jace is another guy who enrolled in January and will be here for spring ball. He’s a great athlete. He’s a guy we are expecting to add depth at the corner position.” – UA Coach David Lockwood

17 is the Arizona record for consecutive games throwing a TD pass held Nick Foles. 17 is also the Arizona record for the highest number of different players to score a TD in season set by the 2014 team.

Finally, 17 is also today's date. Only happens once this countdown. Everyone drink!

ImageImage
ANGCatFan

Re: 17 Josh Kern and Jace Whittaker

Post by ANGCatFan »

FightWildcatsFight

Post by FightWildcatsFight »

The Territorial Cup twitter announced their tweet series. They're counting down to the game in Tempe starting Monday apparently.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

whatisee

Post by whatisee »

Somebody get Jace whiiaker some food. He looked so tiny running around out there at CB. Sonoran Dogs and Chimichangas stat!

On the brighter side it's nice to see another Freshman seeing the playing field.