Week 1 Impressive Players?

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

OSUCat

Week 1 Impressive Players?

Post by OSUCat »

The UTSA game was ugly game with too many injuries. Do you think any specific player stood out for a good performance?

My immediate, beer enhanced, reaction is that Johnny Jackson played very well. I was also impressed with Neal, he needs more experience in the position but he does bring athleticism to the position.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
PHXCATS

Re: Week 1 Impressive Players?

Post by PHXCATS »

Was not impressed with Neal at all. Made bad moves. UTSA fed the guy Neal was guarding.

I thought Sir T played well
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

Jamar Allah
Luca Bruno
Deandre Miller
Nate Philips
Johnny Jackson

all had better than expected games
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Anu seemed to settle down in the second half and stopped overthrowing guys, and the offensive line settled in as well and gave him a little more time to work, and some nice running lanes for Nick.

Bundage, beyond the one holding call, was pretty good. No awkward snaps and held his own at the point of attack. Thought he showed great hands, which is often the toughest thing going from having your hands in position to block to having them on the football and your momentum heading backwards.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
qwertyus

Post by qwertyus »

NW made up for his fumble in the 2nd half. Anu needs to work on that deep ball!!!! Argh, so many times he's missed it! Impressed with his scrambling ability though, and he took care of the ball and didn't throw a pick. One sack first play, don't remember if he was sacked again.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Jamar Allah, Jonnie Jackson, Cayleb Jones, Nick Wilson had some good runs, Anthony Lopez - hard to believe he's still around.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

A couple of things.

Anu overthrowing the ball in the first half was real common last year. I thought he might've addressed it by this year. He needs to.

Sir Thomas had a couple of good games two years ago. This guy should be ready to have a great year.

I think Davonte is going to have a very good year.

Didn't surprise me that Nate's looking good. Guy was a freshman All American two years ago.

The O line and the defense need a lot of improvement.

Here is a big question for me: What in the hell is going on with Samajie and Tellas? I mean WTF? The whole team works their ass off to get ready for the season and these guys are screwing around and not ready to focus? Hope they get their shit together quick! Just ridiculous!
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

Not Anu. His accuracy mostly sucked. All the Anu apologists must now be down to "it was his first game". "He's just a freshman", and "he was injured" no longer apply. Hope he improves.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

MrMeow wrote:Not Anu. His accuracy mostly sucked. All the Anu apologists must now be down to "it was his first game". "He's just a freshman", and "he was injured" no longer apply. Hope he improves.
He actually did improve. Just from the first half to the second. By my count he was 11 of 22 in the first half and 11 of 14 in the second.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
The Butcher

Post by The Butcher »

Yah, he was much more accurate in the second half. And one of the passes was a drop by Caleb that he pretty much had in his hands on 4th down and the defender was able to mess with it. Gotta be stronger. RichRod reamed Caleb on the sidelines over that.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

One of the guys he overthrew deep a few times was Phillips. He didn't miss by much but it was a little too strong. To me that speaks to a slight timing issue between Solomon and Phillips, nothing major and something they can work out.

An improvement I saw from last year with the receivers was that when Solomon had to scramble they were much better about coming back to the ball to help him out.

I noticed on the zone reads that Solomon only kept it a couple of times. I don't know if that's the reads he had or if RR is being conservative to limit his exposure to hits. What it did do though was put the UTSA defense in a lull and opened up that big scramble in the 4th.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

If Anu would have pulled it and kept it on that 4th down play in the last 2 minutes, he would have walked in. RR was pissed he missed that read.

Those 3 guys were sent home from the hotel so you have to wonder about their behavior
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Anthony Lopez.

List over.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Skowron had some strong kickoffs and was perfect on extra points.

Solomon, in his first game as a sophomore, moved into the top 10 in career TD passes. Yes, we are Quarterback U!

Glenn Parker continues to prove that if you're good at football, you're good at football.
Right where I want to be.
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

Sir T made a lot of plays.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

gumby wrote:Skowron had some strong kickoffs and was perfect on extra points.
When this (not made FG's, but made extra points) is listed as "impressive"....you know you're a UofA fan. :lol:
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Jackson
Lopez
Neal
Wilson
Allah
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Lopez is a given but I thought Bundage was really good given this was his first game at center (nice call Chi).

I though Richards was pretty good as was Nate Phillips. Allah was solid
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Here is who impressed the coaches the most. From Arizona Athletics:
Senior Cayman Bundage was recognized as the program’s Offensive Player of the Week. A starter at guard the last two seasons, Bundage shined in his first career start at center. He steadied a line that introduced two new starters along the left side, and the unit help produce 163 yards on the ground while giving quarterback Anu Solomon plenty of time to toss for 229 yards and four touchdowns.

Junior corner back DaVonte’ Neal was named the team’s Special Teams Player of the Week. A first-time starter on defense, Neal recorded 11 tackles and broke up a pass, but his biggest contribution came when he blocked a fourth quarter field goal try as the Roadrunners threatened to cut the Wildcats’ lead to one possession. Jamar Allah recovered the block and Arizona’s offense soon punched in a touchdown for welcomed breathing room early in the fourth quarter. It was the first blocked field goal for the Wildcats since 2002.

Scout team player of the week honors went to freshman running back Branden Leon (offense), redshirt freshman linebacker Kevin Hamlett Jr. (defense) and freshman corner back Malcolm Holland (special teams) for their preparations leading up to the game.

The team’s Hard Edge Player of the Week was sophomore linebacker De’Andre Miller, while senior defensive lineman Reggie Gilbert was tabbed the Student of the Week.
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

Once we started running the ball well we were running to the side with Bundage, Alsadek, and Maiva. No offense to Hemilla and Friekh, but losing Tagoloa greatly hurt our running to that side.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Gifs from game 1 -