Fired Casteel

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

splitsecond

Fired Casteel

Post by splitsecond »

4th and 1 and in the red zone and you don't line up someone in at least the 1 technique, let alone the 0?

This guy has no idea how to scheme against the current offenses in college football. I don't give a shit if he is RichRod's bff, the guy is no longer competent to run a defense.
scumdevils86

Re: Fire Casteel

Post by scumdevils86 »

Nope. We need a real damn defense
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

splitsecond wrote:4th and 1 and in the red zone and you don't line up someone in at least the 1 technique, let alone the 0?

This guy has no idea how to scheme against the current offenses in college football. I don't give a shit if he is RichRod's bff, the guy is no longer competent to run a defense.
And the lining up in a 3 front on 3 and 1 is ridiculous!
Salty

Post by Salty »

Arizona needs to stop recruiting 5'11", 250 pound dudes as D-Lineman.

Arizona needs to stop starting 5'8, 200 pound dudes as Linebackers.

And Arizona needs to find some defensive backs who can make plays.

There's a huge lack of physicality and size across the defense. They have OKG's everywhere, and OKG's are fine as long as they are like Ricky Elmore, EMFM, and Brooks Reed. But the players out there now are severely undersized, lack talent, and can't make plays.

I've never seen a team tackle as poorly as this current defense. It's pathetic. And it's gotten worse as we've lost some of Stoops' recruits.

Casteel isn't a great defensive coach but we could do worse. The problem is the personnel and how there has been a total lack of development.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Recruit better
AZarchery

Post by AZarchery »

I'll give his defense another year. We are decimated on d right now, so next year we should have better depth and better starters. If we are just as bad next year, he needs to go.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Salty wrote:Arizona needs to stop recruiting 5'11", 250 pound dudes as D-Lineman.

There's a huge lack of physicality and size across the defense. They have OKG's everywhere, and OKG's are fine as long as they are like Ricky Elmore, EMFM, and Brooks Reed. But the players out there now are severely undersized, lack talent, and can't make plays.

I've never seen a team tackle as poorly as this current defense. It's pathetic. And it's gotten worse as we've lost some of Stoops' recruits.

Casteel isn't a great defensive coach but we could do worse. The problem is the personnel and how there has been a total lack of development.
To be fair none of the guys we're recruiting are that size. Our current d line recruits at d line are like 6'5" 270 on average as high school seniors
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Salty wrote:Arizona needs to stop recruiting 5'11", 250 pound dudes as D-Lineman.

And that lack of development falls on Casteel
Salty

Post by Salty »

ASUHATER! wrote:

To be fair none of the guys we're recruiting are that size. Our current d line recruits at d line are like 6'5" 270 on average as high school seniors
"6'5" 270" really means about 6'2" 235. Recruits and high schools consistently exaggerate raw numbers.

But regardless... The talent we are seeing now on the field are not big, physical dudes. They are smaller guys with heart. I've seen Parker Zellers and Jeff Worthy on campus. They are not big guys, well, at least they wouldn't come across as Division I football players to me. They've got passion and heart, they just lack the physicality to be impactful.

Contrast that to Ricky Elmore, who was massive, and I can understand why our defensive line has little impact.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Well I mean salty is 6'7" 290 all muscle so everyone is smaller to him.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Salty

Post by Salty »

ASUHATER! wrote:Well I mean salty is 6'7" 290 all muscle so everyone is smaller to him.
I wish.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

Arizona couldn't get pressure or cover with four rushers and everyone dropping back. So to fix the problem Arizona goes into a 3 rush and everyone in coverage?
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Salty wrote:
"6'5" 270" really means about 6'2" 235. Recruits and high schools consistently exaggerate raw numbers.

But regardless... The talent we are seeing now on the field are not big, physical dudes. They are smaller guys with heart. I've seen Parker Zellers and Jeff Worthy on campus. They are not big guys, well, at least they wouldn't come across as Division I football players to me. They've got passion and heart, they just lack the physicality to be impactful.

Contrast that to Ricky Elmore, who was massive, and I can understand why our defensive line has little impact.

Ricky Elmore was only 235 coming out of high school. A 3-star player.

http://sports.yahoo.com/footballrecruit ... more-38622" target="_blank
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Salty

Post by Salty »

UAEebs86 wrote:
Salty wrote:

Ricky Elmore was only 235 coming out of high school. A 3-star player.

http://sports.yahoo.com/footballrecruit ... more-38622" target="_blank
That's my point. OKG's are fine as long as they develop into players like Ricky Elmore, who certainly was an OKG and turning into a freaking stud. Same with EMFM and Brooks Reed. The current guys start as OKG's, and then don't improve.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

splitsecond wrote:4th and 1 and in the red zone and you don't line up someone in at least the 1 technique, let alone the 0?
I can't believe no one on UA called a time out on that play. Even these kids have been playing their whole lives, not just the coaches, and everyone knew the QB draw was coming.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

Are we seriously going to start this thread about possible of firing Casteel. Ok make your argument but good luck of trying to convince that too RR. Injury has plague our defense. Player that stepping in are mostly walk on and true freshman.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

cordera89 wrote:Are we seriously going to start this thread about possible of firing Casteel. Ok make your argument but good luck of trying to convince that too RR. Injury has plague our defense. Player that stepping in are mostly walk on and true freshman.

I am not ready to call for Casteel's job, and we have certainly had injury issues, but (aside from Scooby, who makes our D go), this injury list is not any worse than you would expect at this point in the season; everyone has key players out and no team is 100% healthy. Ever.

http://www.azdesertswarm.com/football/2 ... uri-wright" target="_blank

In year 4, we should have enough depth to field a better effort than we saw today. The fact that we need to rely on walk-on's and true freshmen points to recruiting failures.

And our DB's are really, really bad - and they have been all season. They can't cover, they can't tackle, and they do not appear to be that fast, in fact, for a team that is supposed to rely on speed all over the field - we appear lacking in that regard at many positions.

Next season will be year 5 of this regime. If we don't show marked improvement on that side of the ball, then RR will have some tough decisions to make.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

There are a lot of fingers to point in this loss. Who didn't pull Bundage soon enough? Who didn't pull Anu fast enough? Why does punt return coverage routinely allow 20-30 yard returns? Who told the freshman kick returner they could run the ball out of the endzone when it rarely provides better field position and increases the chances of a fumble? That said, the defense was worse than I ever seen. In many of the other poor showings, the offense couldn't do anything which just adds more pressure. In this case, the offense had some success and the D didn't respond. I mean, when it is an obvious QB sneak situation and the QB is actually signaling "run" to his side line, why don't you line someone up against the center? Why is does every Coug receiver have 5-10 yards distance between them and the nearest defender? ....and we still almost won. I'll never call for someone to lose their job but the Pac12 South is lost and if we don't drastically improve when Scooby and Turituri return..we have to rethink our overall approach to defense..whatever that means.
BMalo

Post by BMalo »

We have a poor defensive scheme that is crippled by injuries. There is no doubt that a healthy 3-3-5 could have beaten this wazzu team. We ran a 4-3 the second half, correct? At least for a while and still couldn't stop them.

Injuries are our biggest problem right now.

The 3-3-5 and the recruiting that has come with it is a larger issue that could prevent us from "getting there" consistently.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

Harvey Specter wrote:
cordera89 wrote:Are we seriously going to start this thread about possible of firing Casteel. Ok make your argument but good luck of trying to convince that too RR. Injury has plague our defense. Player that stepping in are mostly walk on and true freshman.

I am not ready to call for Casteel's job, and we have certainly had injury issues, but (aside from Scooby, who makes our D go), this injury list is not any worse than you would expect at this point in the season; everyone has key players out and no team is 100% healthy. Ever.

http://www.azdesertswarm.com/football/2 ... uri-wright" target="_blank

In year 4, we should have enough depth to field a better effort than we saw today. The fact that we need to rely on walk-on's and true freshmen points to recruiting failures.

And our DB's are really, really bad - and they have been all season. They can't cover, they can't tackle, and they do not appear to be that fast, in fact, for a team that is supposed to rely on speed all over the field - we appear lacking in that regard at many positions.

Next season will be year 5 of this regime. If we don't show marked improvement on that side of the ball, then RR will have some tough decisions to make.
That link you posted I already seen that before. I didn't watch the game on tv I don't have the PAC 12 network so I can understand everyone point of view but i didn't seen them play today.

Their were an article that did talk about Defense depth issue of in the past 3 season we brought in 30 or 40 D player and we lost 19 of them. Depth has been the big topic of our defense to this day. Losing 4 LB in same position is a bitch. And most of keys player are starting to get rattle. I don't think were lacking in talent develop on that side, Were putting in inexperience player that just starting for the first time and getting game experience as well.

Even when Year 5 does come where only getting on Offense not defense. and I don't know if RR is willing to make a change.
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

Recruiting been bad. Injury has been crazy but that play blew my mind
illcat

Post by illcat »

I seriously have to ask if Casteel is sees the same thing on the field that most everyone else sees.
I mean I am not complaining but it must suck for good ugly girls.
--Officer Craig

You'll forgive DW99, he's used to the methed-out slores in Tempe ...
--Reydituto
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

RichRod was not happy at all with the defense in the presser after the game. Said they knew what was coming. Said the players were yelling out the route packages that were going to be run. They still couldn't stop it.

I imagine practice is not going to be fun for the defense today.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

By the way, the critcisms of the defense on this game are all well and valid, but at the same time you've at least got to give some credit to Falk. He's been lighting up defenses all year. He's pretty damned good.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Saw a post which said that was the best effort ever by a QB against Arizona. He had 2 or 3 passes sail, and missed a wide open receiver for a TD, but still pretty impressed. The pirate said that he is the best QB in college football.
splitsecond

Post by splitsecond »

Like I have said in other threads I don't think that there is anything wrong with the 3-3-5 as a base offense especially with all the spreads we see now. But there has to be other looks you run - no different than the NFL. I also understand we have injuries, and also haven't recruited good enough athletes on the defensive side of the ball yet.

BUT

The fact that Casteel doesn't line a single guy up over center on 4th & 1 shows where his ceiling is as a coordinator. So what if they have been passing the whole time. Make them pas again. Make them run a sweep. You don't just give them a soft spot in the middle that literally anyone could have suited up and pushed through to get a first down.

All the other stuff adds to the loss, but that one play tells us all we need to know about whether Casteel can ever get another defense to perform like the Adam Jones era Mountaineers defense did.
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

Fire the coach for losing his best 3 linebackers in a defense predicated on linebacker play! Give the dude some slack it's not like he hasn't had injuries. He was missing four starters for the game and our 2 best pass rushers in a game where we arguably need them the most. I get the fourth and 1 stuff as that was damn near retarded, but he isn't working with a lot right now.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

105 players on the roster with 90 dressing for the game.

Injured LBs:

Scooby, the most famous 2 star rated player in the land.
Ippolito, also a 2 star.
Turituri, still another 2 star.

All those players on the roster, and no one can back up 2 star LBs?

POS. # PLAYER HT. WT. YR.
END 8 Reggie Gilbert 6-4 262 RS Sr.
55 Jeff Worthy 6-2 287 Sr.
NOSE 99 Sani Fuimaono 6-1 288 Jr.
93 Parker Zellers 6-1 247 RS So.
TACKLE 60 Luca Bruno 6-4 264 RS So.
92 Jack Banda 6-3 238 RS-So.

SLB 32 DeAndre’ Miller 6-3 230 RS So.
24 RJ Morgan 6-1 229 RS So.

MLB 47 Jake Matthews 6-3 221 Jr.
53 Sir Thomas Jackson 6-0 222 RS Sr.
WLB 14 Paul Magloire Jr. 6-1 210 RS Jr.
47 Jake Matthews 6-3 221 Jr.

SPUR 11 Will Parks 6-1 194 Sr.
14 Paul Magloire Jr. 6-1 210 RS Jr.
BANDIT 1 Tellas Jones 6-0 189 RS Jr.
28 Anthony Lopez 5-11 211 Sr.
LC 3 Cam Denson 5-11 168 So.
29 Jarvis McCall Jr. 6-2 182 RS. So.

RC 19 DaVonte’ Neal 5-10 173 RS Jr.
17 Jace Whittaker 5-10 163 Fr.
27 Sammy Morrison 5-9 166 Fr.
FS 7 Jamar Allah 6-1 186 Sr.
12 Demetrius Flannigan-Fowles 6-2 182 Fr.
TuiTouchdown

Post by TuiTouchdown »

catinfl wrote:Fire the coach for losing his best 3 linebackers in a defense predicated on linebacker play! Give the dude some slack it's not like he hasn't had injuries. He was missing four starters for the game and our 2 best pass rushers in a game where we arguably need them the most. I get the fourth and 1 stuff as that was damn near retarded, but he isn't working with a lot right now.
Agree. End the thread. If we hadn't just come off a 10-2 record and winning the South, and suffering the injuries we are, then we'd be justified to discuss this.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

Cobb and Ware were both 4 stars. They were both dogged by injury when they came in and they're RS freshmen. I don't rule out Cobb going back to defense some time in the future and Ware still has a lot of time to contribute if he can work his way in. A lot of people were pretty high on Smothers but he hasn't done much. Matthews and Magloire are serviceable backups (and they may become starting caliber as they get more time in, the coaches really like Matthews) but the problem is right now that they're the starters; you don't want to run your whole game plan around them if you don't have to. Miller is going to be good if he can stay healthy. Plus Ippolito and Turituri will be back next year (we can only hope on Scooby but stranger things have happened.) Losing all three starters, especially the caliber of the guys that are out, really hurts.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

azpenguin wrote:Cobb and Ware were both 4 stars. They were both dogged by injury when they came in and they're RS freshmen. I don't rule out Cobb going back to defense some time in the future and Ware still has a lot of time to contribute if he can work his way in. A lot of people were pretty high on Smothers but he hasn't done much. Matthews and Magloire are serviceable backups (and they may become starting caliber as they get more time in, the coaches really like Matthews) but the problem is right now that they're the starters; you don't want to run your whole game plan around them if you don't have to. Miller is going to be good if he can stay healthy. Plus Ippolito and Turituri will be back next year (we can only hope on Scooby but stranger things have happened.) Losing all three starters, especially the caliber of the guys that are out, really hurts.
Scooby is flat-out irreplaceable, and no doubt that losing him has a meaningful negative impact that cannot be avoided. Turituri is a physical freak and very nice player, but neither he (nor Ippolito, especially) have production that should be impossible to replace, especially 4 years in.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

Harvey Specter wrote:
azpenguin wrote:Cobb and Ware were both 4 stars. They were both dogged by injury when they came in and they're RS freshmen. I don't rule out Cobb going back to defense some time in the future and Ware still has a lot of time to contribute if he can work his way in. A lot of people were pretty high on Smothers but he hasn't done much. Matthews and Magloire are serviceable backups (and they may become starting caliber as they get more time in, the coaches really like Matthews) but the problem is right now that they're the starters; you don't want to run your whole game plan around them if you don't have to. Miller is going to be good if he can stay healthy. Plus Ippolito and Turituri will be back next year (we can only hope on Scooby but stranger things have happened.) Losing all three starters, especially the caliber of the guys that are out, really hurts.
Scooby is flat-out irreplaceable, and no doubt that losing him has a meaningful negative impact that cannot be avoided. Turituri is a physical freak and very nice player, but neither he (nor Ippolito, especially) have production that should be impossible to replace, especially 4 years in.
If I was casteel at some point I could of found suitable replacement for Scooby, Ippolito, Turituri with Cobb, Ware and Smoother but that fans wet dream to consider. Would that change make a different if those three were playing instead of our current LBs that still haven't shown anything. DLine once again has been another disappointed where we don't have pass rusher on the line. Why isn't Griffen and Williams haven't seen field and yet people be talking about our dline to need to be bigger and those two are only ones that are 300lb plus and still scratching our head over that. Then their that
FightWildcatsFight

Post by FightWildcatsFight »

cordera89 wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:
If I was casteel at some point I could of found suitable replacement for Scooby, Ippolito, Turituri with Cobb, Ware and Smoother but that fans wet dream to consider. Would that change make a different if those three were playing instead of our current LBs that still haven't shown anything. DLine once again has been another disappointed where we don't have pass rusher on the line. Why isn't Griffen and Williams haven't seen field and yet people be talking about our dline to need to be bigger and those two are only ones that are 300lb plus and still scratching our head over that. Then their that
Sharif is a true freshman coming off of a torn ACL, he isn't in playing shape. That's why he redshirted this year. Griffin played against WSU.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

Um, even if our starting LB's were in, they wouldn't be covering the receivers. They might have got more pressure on Falk but who knows. It is our secondary that is killing us. The Cougs receivers were wide open almost every time. I think Neal batted away one pass. They would give them 10-15 yard cushion on a 3rd and 7 and even the the WR's would run a nice little curl route in the middle of the field, catch the pass and then run for 5 more yards. So effing frustrating.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

FightWildcatsFight wrote:
cordera89 wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:
Sharif is a true freshman coming off of a torn ACL, he isn't in playing shape. That's why he redshirted this year. Griffin played against WSU.
If you said he play how many series did he get in?
ghostwhitehorse

Post by ghostwhitehorse »

I am inclined to blame the O's fuck ups for the lose . . . Falk and the Air Raid does what it did to everybody.
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

Yes, I know injuries and lack of pressure, sacks etc. With a "healthy" defense last year against Wazzu, including with Scooby Wright, Wazzu torched AZ then as well. Again, injuries a factor but bad is still bad. AZ Offense and two interceptions last year won the Wazzu game (59 points). My opinion less turnovers and AZ offense lost the Wazzu game this year.

Just think some are applying too much value when MLB corps returns. It's been incremental difference (bad) compared to last year.

Last year Connor Halliday threw 4 TD for 489 yards
Last year Solomon threw 5 TD for 294 yards

This year Falk threw 5 TD for 514 yards (1 TD and 25 pass yards difference to last year)
This year AZ QBs threw 2 TD 301 yards

Wazzu had 543 total yards last year. 631 this year. Wazzu also doubled their rushing yards this year 54 to 117

Last Year AZ had 3 sacks on Halliday
This year AZ had 2 sacks on Falk

Here's a difference, Last year AZ had 7 TFL (Tevis had 3.5)
This year 4 TFL

Difference last year AZ had two interceptions by the secondary. No turnovers against Wazzu this year.

BAD defense is BAD defense. Injuries is not the only problem. May not be AZ biggest defensive problem.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

UA is 115th (out of 127) in passing yards allowed, and 108th in total defense.

Cats have 3 2-star linebackers out but still 100 other guys on the team.

Maybe it's just me, but I find that pretty unacceptable. Not asking for Desert Swarm, but is it really that hard to get around the 50th percentile? Get to around 65th in total defense?
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Merkin wrote:UA is 115th (out of 127) in passing yards allowed, and 108th in total defense.

Cats have 3 2-star linebackers out but still 100 other guys on the team.

Maybe it's just me, but I find that pretty unacceptable. Not asking for Desert Swarm, but is it really that hard to get around the 50th percentile? Get to around 65th in total defense?
I don't want to be one of those "You need to fire this person and that person" types but those numbers so far into the season are unacceptable from our defensive unit.

31 points and 335 yards of passing offense would be pretty bad stats for an entire game. For a half they are catastrophic; at the half we're on pace for 62 allowed and 670 yards allowed, which would have probably brought every person on the board out calling for a scalp.

As it was, the Arizona D allowed 6.8 yards per play...for all 93 plays the Cougars ran (631 yards, 93 plays)! I hate to repeat words, but that is a catastrophe.

So I don't want to call for scalps. But I do think it's necessary for the coaches to take a look at what has happened, publicly comment on the problems they see (and in my opinion blaming this all on a couple injuries ain't gonna cut it) and again comment publicly on how they are going to address the problems. We will watch to see the specific things they mention and see how they do, whether it scheme or recruiting or whatever it is they want to pinpoint.

Because 108th in total defense is not going to cut it. Allowing 31 points and 335 yards passing in the first half of a home game isn't going to cut it. Allowing 6.8 yards per play attempted with no turnovers isn't going to cut it.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

SCCats wrote:But I do think it's necessary for the coaches to take a look at what has happened, publicly comment on the problems they see (and in my opinion blaming this all on a couple injuries ain't gonna cut it) and again comment publicly on how they are going to address the problems. We will watch to see the specific things they mention and see how they do, whether it scheme or recruiting or whatever it is they want to pinpoint.
They're not hiding from it and RichRod says they're looking at everything. But you're basically saying you want them to lay out everything they know is wrong and then explain future plans to fix these things? I'm sure opposing coaches would love to have that tape to show players and recruits.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

azpenguin wrote: But you're basically saying you want them to lay out everything they know is wrong and then explain future plans to fix these things?
Yes that's what I want them to do.

The situation now seems so bad that we need to have this level of accountability, in my opinion. It's not enough, in my opinion, for them to say 'We're going to look at everything and make the changes we need to make.' With performances like these we're past that; at this point I want to see if they can 1) even pinpoint their problems on defense (unclear they can) and 2) make the proper adjustments once the problems have been properly identified (again, not clear they can).

The point of this exercise is to publicly gauge competence. It's sad that that's where I think we are, but it is where I think we are with the D. And if competence can not be properly established in the affirmative, then it will be time for a reorganization.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

OK. You throw scheme and recruiting in there, implying those are the problems while discounting the injuries. The 3-3-5 has been debated to death. If you believe the recruiting is the problem, I'd like your take on just where they have fallen down on recruiting. I don't want vague "they need to recruit better" types of answers. I'm genuinely curious what you think on that.

But to ask them to put themselves on trial before the fanbase to "publicly gauge confidence" is... well, ridiculous. If there are problems I expect the details to be handled internally instead of letting the fans (who have shown themselves to be oh so knowledgeable in these things, dontcha know) know everything. If there were to be a need for a reorganization, that would be up to RichRod, the coaches, and if he felt things were headed in the wrong direction, Byrne.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

azpenguin wrote:OK. You throw scheme and recruiting in there, implying those are the problems while discounting the injuries. The 3-3-5 has been debated to death. If you believe the recruiting is the problem, I'd like your take on just where they have fallen down on recruiting. I don't want vague "they need to recruit better" types of answers. I'm genuinely curious what you think on that.
I'm not the expert, they are. That's why they're given the chance to diagnose the specific problem, tell me how they're going to fix the problem and then execute that fix.

If they can, great. If they can't (or won't) that's fine too. Reorganization time.
But to ask them to put themselves on trial before the fanbase to "publicly gauge confidence" is... well, ridiculous.
I would say the ridiculous things are:
Allowing 6.8 yards per play attempted with no turnovers isn't going to cut it.
Being in the lowest quartile like that of any industry in the world puts you on review. Period.

It's fight for your job time. If you can't (or won't), no problem.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

SCCats wrote:
azpenguin wrote:OK. You throw scheme and recruiting in there, implying those are the problems while discounting the injuries. The 3-3-5 has been debated to death. If you believe the recruiting is the problem, I'd like your take on just where they have fallen down on recruiting. I don't want vague "they need to recruit better" types of answers. I'm genuinely curious what you think on that.
I'm not the expert, they are. That's why they're given the chance to diagnose the specific problem, tell me how they're going to fix the problem and then execute that fix.

If they can, great. If they can't (or won't) that's fine too. Reorganization time.
But to ask them to put themselves on trial before the fanbase to "publicly gauge confidence" is... well, ridiculous.
I would say the ridiculous things are:
Allowing 6.8 yards per play attempted with no turnovers isn't going to cut it.
Being in the lowest quartile like that of any industry in the world puts you on review. Period.

It's fight for your job time. If you can't (or won't), no problem.
You're implying that they aren't working to fix the problem here - you stated it twice. Do you really believe that?

I remember when Arizona was down near the bottom of the national barrel of defense due to injuries some time back. Some guy named Larry Mac Duff running the defense. Maybe they should have debated things in front of the fans fired him back in 1991 because his recruits and backups couldn't stop anything.
Sid

Post by Sid »

We just don't have a very smart football team and when the talent level is lacking as well, you have the makings of a perfect storm.

Special Teams, Defense, Offense, Coaching....

Downing punts inside the 1 and then putting one foot in for the TB. Brilliant

3rd and short with a wide open running lane and we opt for the incomplete pass. Special

4th & 1 critical juncture in the game and not 1 player on D or the coaching staff can see what is about to fucking happen? Speechless

I'm hopeful Rich can make the necessary changes to right this ship in the offseason, otherwise what outcome can we expect if nothing changes?
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

azpenguin wrote:You're implying that they aren't working to fix the problem here - you stated it twice. Do you really believe that?
A couple things:

I think it's very clear there's an issue(s) somewhere down the line. I think the results speak for themselves on that point.

I think if you heard them talk about what the problem was and how they were going to solve the problem, it would sound like a whole bunch of nothing and you and everyone else would be fairly stunned.
I remember when Arizona was down near the bottom of the national barrel of defense due to injuries some time back.
I remember some of the bad times, like Mackovick 2002 when we went 1-7 in conference giving up...

So I might be inclined to call this defense Mackovickian, but my inclination would also be to say I'm not sure that would be 100% fair to Mackovick's defenses.

Yeah :shock:
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

Well, if you're going to throw in Mackovic then don't forget to throw in 2003. They gave up 166 points in three games early. Also don't forget Stoops 2011, which led to the 2012 defense and also contributed to what we're seeing now (the 2011-2012 class is mostly gone when they should be the biggest contributors.)

You said you're not the expert. I'm not either, but I've actually looked into how the roster got to where it's gotten to. That's why I'm curious on where you think they fell short in recruiting.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

azpenguin wrote:Well, if you're going to throw in Mackovic then don't forget to throw in 2003. They gave up 166 points in three games early. Also don't forget Stoops 2011, which led to the 2012 defense and also contributed to what we're seeing now (the 2011-2012 class is mostly gone when they should be the biggest contributors.)
:lol:

You pick out Mackovick 2003 and Stoops 2012, the years those guys got fired (mid season no less), to try and find a favorable comp?

Hahaha, yeah.
That's why I'm curious on where you think they fell short in recruiting.
Again I'm not the expert. They should tell me where they've fallen short and how they're going to fix it going forward as far as maintaining the 3-3-5 goes.

As stated above, I bet that conversation would sound like a bunch of nothing as well.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

Do you two also forget that we lost a number of Defense players from RR three recruiting class that would of been the biggest contributors so far. If RR and staff can figure out the issue and problem and get it sort it after Offseason will be fine. Just better hope RR stay at Arizona because WVU has been rumor lately of his return.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Guess they weren't really OKGs.

All schools deal with injuries and transfers out.

Some adjust, some don't.

I really like RichRod a lot, but he needs to make some changes on defense.