Matt Caponi Departure

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

cordera89

Matt Caponi Departure

Post by cordera89 »

Has anyone heard about this yet. RR is going to have to hired a new Safety Coach.

http://tucson.com/sports/football/colle ... 1bdbe.html" target="_blank
whatisee

Re: Matt Caponi Departure

Post by whatisee »

Not surprising...i bet he saw the writing on the wall
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

It wasn't a surprised to me, It just was unnotices that he left for WV. Well that make three position that are now open for RR to screw the pooch.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

It wasn't unnoticed. Just because someone didn't start a brand new thread on it doesn't mean we weren't talking about it.

As for "pooch screwing", doesn't it make the DC job more desirable if a candidate can bring in more of his own guys to work with?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

Chicat wrote:It wasn't unnoticed. Just because someone didn't start a brand new thread on it doesn't mean we weren't talking about it.

As for "pooch screwing", doesn't it make the DC job more desirable if a candidate can bring in more of his own guys to work with?
Absolutely. Good news and a fresh start
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

cordera doesn't like change.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Trying to think of any bright spots in the defense last year, which there really isn't, but the safety position was probably the least bad. Cats going to miss Will Parks. Seemed the corners were burned much more than the safeties, but still a the 3rd and long being pretty much automatic showed up on them too.

So Caponi going to a equivalent position at a lower level school seems appropriate. Not that Casteel will find an equivalent position elsewhere.
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

Merkin wrote:Trying to think of any bright spots in the defense last year, which there really isn't, but the safety position was probably the least bad. Cats going to miss Will Parks. Seemed the corners were burned much more than the safeties, but still a the 3rd and long being pretty much automatic showed up on them too.

So Caponi going to a equivalent position at a lower level school seems appropriate. Not that Casteel will find an equivalent position elsewhere.
Magloire was a bright spot and should replace Parks nicely if we stay in the 3-3-5

WVU is not a lower level school IMO.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

whatisee wrote: WVU is not a lower level school IMO.
That is true, especially now that they are in the Big 12. I keep thinking Big East.
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

Not sure what thread to put in...

With News that Casteel going to UTEP, thought it was interesting that UTEP had a media release on Jan. 4th stating they would announce their new coordinators tomorrow the 14th. Announced 10 days before they scheduled a news conference.

The 4th the same day AZ announced that Casteel and Kirelawich would not be back.

Looking at some of the local UTEP media from the 4th release, multiple were saying UTEP (sources) had already lined up their coordinators couple weeks before that, of their 4th media release.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

RazorsEdgeAZ wrote:Not sure what thread to put in...

With News that Casteel going to UTEP, thought it was interesting that UTEP had a media release on Jan. 4th stating they would announce their new coordinators tomorrow the 14th. Announced 10 days before they scheduled a news conference.

The 4th the same day AZ announced that Casteel and Kirelawich would not be back.

Looking at some of the local UTEP media from the 4th release, multiple were saying UTEP (sources) had already lined up their coordinators couple weeks before that, of their 4th media release.
Timing is everything. :D
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Are you implying that Casteel wasn't fired?
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

Chicat wrote:It wasn't unnoticed. Just because someone didn't start a brand new thread on it doesn't mean we weren't talking about it.

Chi calm the hell down. It wasn't a surprised to me on his departure, it was unnoticed to me that he decide it to leave instead of staying. Now we should be more concern once RR hired a DC is he going to allow him to hired his own Safety coach and Dline Coach.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

Puerco wrote:cordera doesn't like change.
Me not liking to change. In what change are you talking about.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

cordera89 wrote:

Chi calm the hell down.
:lol:

This is by far the best thing you've ever typed on these forums. I'm just surprised you didn't start a new thread to post it.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

chiefzona wrote:

Implying that it may have turned into a mutual. UTEP a step down on the resume. I would assume going to be a large step down in pay for Casteel. UTEP HC made $510k last year. Casteel - $670k.

Casteel hasn't made less than $400k since 2010. Conditions at AZ help with the decision(s). Whatever Negotiations took awhile, Casteel had a fall back (offer - pending his acceptance) and AZ caught a little flat footed.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

RazorsEdgeAZ wrote:
chiefzona wrote:

Implying that it may have turned into a mutual. UTEP a step down on the resume. I would assume going to be a large step down in pay for Casteel. UTEP HC made $510k last year. Casteel - $670k.

Casteel hasn't made less than $400k since 2010. Conditions at AZ help with the decision(s). Whatever Negotiations took awhile, Casteel had a fall back (offer - pending his acceptance) and AZ caught a little flat footed.

You and I are on the same page my friend. The timing all points to it. It's easier for RR to say it was the most difficult situation he has ever faced in football because he saves face with the fan base, and Casteel looks like less of a crook. :shock:
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

chiefzona wrote:
RazorsEdgeAZ wrote:
chiefzona wrote:

You and I are on the same page my friend. The timing all points to it. It's easier for RR to say it was the most difficult situation he has ever faced in football because he saves face with the fan base, and Casteel looks like less of a crook. :shock:
Why would Casteel look like a crook?
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Jeez this average joe fan with access to the program?

No wonder we recruit like shit.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Harvey Specter wrote:
chiefzona wrote:
RazorsEdgeAZ wrote:
chiefzona wrote:

Why would Casteel look like a crook?
Robbed the defense and the fans then took a job for less pay. :lol:
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

ooops
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

CalStateTempe wrote:Jeez this average joe fan with access to the program?

It's not like anybody in the program is, truly, aiming any higher than average.
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

catgrad97 wrote:

Average? If someone could guarantee me we'd have an average defense next year, I'd take that with smiles. An average defense with our offense, I'll show you nine or ten wins or better. Caponi, good riddance. Considering what our defense has been, average wouldn't be a bad place to start. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that if we bring some better coaches in here, people are going to be surprised at how much talent we actually have. Put them together with a few gunslingers we may bring in from the JUCO ranks and we might be starting to get somewhere. I say bring it on.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Best defense of the RichRod UA era was 70th of out 118. Last 2 years were in the 100s out of 125.

So heck yea, an average defense would be great with a superior offense.

Makes me wonder how Casteel was even in the running for a Div I team DC.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

tgrumpy2 wrote:
catgrad97 wrote:

Average? If someone could guarantee me we'd have an average defense next year, I'd take that with smiles. An average defense with our offense, I'll show you nine or ten wins or better. Caponi, good riddance. Considering what our defense has been, average wouldn't be a bad place to start. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that if we bring some better coaches in here, people are going to be surprised at how much talent we actually have. Put them together with a few gunslingers we may bring in from the JUCO ranks and we might be starting to get somewhere. I say bring it on.
Hey, I agree, but the names out there aren't filling me with that hope yet.