Cactus Kickoff - BYU vs Arizona

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

UALoco

Re: Cactus Kickoff - BYU vs Arizona

Post by UALoco »

If it is not within driving distance, going bowling is just out of reach for most. The airlines and hotels totally jack up their prices during the season and then there are the tickets. I am happy with the Holiday, Fiesta, LV, and NM Bowls......(oh, and of course the Rose Bowl!). Otherwise, I'll watch from home.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

It is unfortunate because I just can't see myself going to a bowl outside of Arizona in the foreseeable future. The cost of plane tickets, accomodations, game tickets, food, potentially a rental car etc for 4 people to go to a bowl game (especially around xmas time) would easily be pushing $3000 even if done cheaply.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I'm amazed that the fans do go to ABQ for a UA bowl game. It's a crappy city with a crappy stadium and crappy weather.

Where I could be sitting at home in my Cali house with the windows open any with my t-shirt and cargo shorts on.

I'd be much more inclined to go to a bowl in SD which is a great city with great weather and I have a son living there now to crash with.

Goes without saying if the Cats ever make a Rose Bowl I would be first in the internet line to get tickets. I have been waiting since 1981 when I was a freshman and the UA was a football school and Larry Smith was kicking butt. Not sure I can wait another 35 years.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Merkin wrote:I'm amazed that the fans do go to ABQ for a UA bowl game. It's a crappy city with a crappy stadium and crappy weather.

Where I could be sitting at home in my Cali house with the windows open any with my t-shirt and cargo shorts on.

I'd be much more inclined to go to a bowl in SD which is a great city with great weather and I have a son living there now to crash with.

Goes without saying if the Cats ever make a Rose Bowl I would be first in the internet line to get tickets. I have been waiting since 1981 when I was a freshman and the UA was a football school and Larry Smith was kicking butt. Not sure I can wait another 35 years.
yeah i'd be charging my credit card if i had to and calling out sick to work or something to go to that.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

The Holiday Bowl is a blast and apparently well situated for Arizona fans to attend. The last time we were there was a great time-until the game got underway.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

Merkin wrote:I'm amazed that the fans do go to ABQ for a UA bowl game. It's a crappy city with a crappy stadium and crappy weather.
It's close by, the people are great, there's a lot of great food, and northern NM during the Christmas season is nice. This last year's NM Bowl was one of the best times I've ever had at a football game. The Lobo fans were awesome and hilarious.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

azpenguin wrote:
It's close by, the people are great, there's a lot of great food, and northern NM during the Christmas season is nice. This last year's NM Bowl was one of the best times I've ever had at a football game. The Lobo fans were awesome and hilarious.
There are definitely weather snobs out there. I went to the bowl in NM and it was cool because I know I was surrounded by hard-core fans like me and not any fair-weather phonies. I froze my ass off but ate some great food and my son and I got to see Scooby's last game. We were also able to get autographs by many of the players including Scooby and Anu because we were lucky enough to be staying at the team hotel. It was a family atmosphere there and was so awesome. i don't know why anyone wouldn't want to have that type of experience.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

UALoco wrote:
azpenguin wrote:
There are definitely weather snobs out there. I went to the bowl in NM and it was cool because I know I was surrounded by hard-core fans like me and not any fair-weather phonies. I froze my ass off but ate some great food and my son and I got to see Scooby's last game. We were also able to get autographs by many of the players including Scooby and Anu because we were lucky enough to be staying at the team hotel. It was a family atmosphere there and was so awesome. i don't know why anyone wouldn't want to have that type of experience.
I really like those oddball scenarios with the hardcore fans and the lower-profile bowl.

I also really would enjoy a Rose Bowl. But I can experience wearing a T shirt and being warm virtually every day of my life.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

UALoco wrote:
azpenguin wrote:
I started backpacking recently so I know how to layer up for cold conditions like that. I was cozy all day. And man, that food...
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Just saw a commercial for this game for the first time.
Sage&Silver

Post by Sage&Silver »

The AZ Daily Star was running full page pop-up adds yesterday too.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

EVCat

Post by EVCat »

This is the right time for advertising.

The hardcore fan already made their plans. The casual is not going to make Labor Day plans around a football game in June or May. But now, we are in striking distance. So you hit with a campaign for the casual fan that is getting excited about football post Olympics and may just buy a ticket because it is football, or that has some rooting interest but is nothing like a diehard. It is close enough to target that person who has, by now, determined they aren't going anywhere Labor Day weekend. "Hey...no out of town plans? No Saturday night plans? Here's something for you. A football game...and not a preseason NFL game or a D1 vs lower division warm up game. A REAL GAME! Tickets are reasonable. Come buy a ticket!"

Ad campaigns prior to now would have been money wastes outside of the direct marketing to the diehard. I have seen it a fair amount over the last 2 weeks on the electronic billboards.
cats101

Post by cats101 »

carcassdragger wrote:The Holiday Bowl is a blast and apparently well situated for Arizona fans to attend. The last time we were there was a great time-until the game got underway.
I love San Diego and that's most likely where I'll be for labor day weekend. I just don't like Phoenix, and don't want to spend a minute I don't have to there, outside of family functions which I rarely go to. I usually attend the UofA - ASSU basketball games, but that's it. Will most likely never attend a football game in their stadium again, awful experiences both times. Thank God I was sober both times.

I know all of these excuses, which they kind of are but if the game was in Tucson I'd be there for sure. My interest in the football program is very, neutral at the moment. Of course I want to see us do well but I'm just not that "excited" enough about the season to drive to a place I don't want to be on my 3 day weekend.

I'm starting to think the tickets aren't selling well here either. I've gotten two calls from the UofA ticket office to renew season tickets, which I haven't been a season ticket holder for 3 years, so why all of a sudden now? I've found cheaper/more convenient options for tickets.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

EVCat wrote:This is the right time for advertising.

The hardcore fan already made their plans. The casual is not going to make Labor Day plans around a football game in June or May. But now, we are in striking distance. So you hit with a campaign for the casual fan that is getting excited about football post Olympics and may just buy a ticket because it is football, or that has some rooting interest but is nothing like a diehard. It is close enough to target that person who has, by now, determined they aren't going anywhere Labor Day weekend. "Hey...no out of town plans? No Saturday night plans? Here's something for you. A football game...and not a preseason NFL game or a D1 vs lower division warm up game. A REAL GAME! Tickets are reasonable. Come buy a ticket!"

Ad campaigns prior to now would have been money wastes outside of the direct marketing to the diehard. I have seen it a fair amount over the last 2 weeks on the electronic billboards.
Yeah, event advertising usually comes in two waves. The on-sale (when tickets first go on sale and you're trying to give die-hards as much info as possible so they can snatch up great seats) and then depending on sales you'll have a second round 2-3 weeks before the event. The advent of digital, mobile, and digital outdoor to supplement print and TV gives multiple avenues to do last minute, short term campaigns to highlight ticket sales. My company has digital billboards and we're approached all the time by people who already ran campaigns with us because their event is not fully sold out yet. It's a good strategy as you laid out in your post EV.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

Chi, you working in sales, design, or production?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Sales. I'm a whore.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

a well fed whore.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

scumdevils86 wrote:a well fed whore.
Now this is true...
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

Chicat wrote:Sales. I'm a whore.
I'm a print designer. Yeah, you sales guys are annoying :) but without ya we got nothing to do and then when we get bored, nothing good comes of that. You just do outdoor, or what all advertising products you sell?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

azpenguin wrote:
Chicat wrote:Sales. I'm a whore.
I'm a print designer. Yeah, you sales guys are annoying :) but without ya we got nothing to do and then when we get bored, nothing good comes of that. You just do outdoor, or what all advertising products you sell?
Strictly Outdoor. Billboards, street furniture, malls, and airports.

Don't worry, we think you print designers are annoying too. Always with the last minute subtle changes no one but you would notice... :lol:
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

Who, me? Nah. :mrgreen:

Always thought outdoor would be interesting to do. It's a completely different type of design - the quickest of quick hits. Considering how much stuff some of my clients try to cram into a print ad, I can only imagine how much fun you guys have trying to walk some clients back from putting every single bit of info about their company into a billboard.
UofAlum05

Post by UofAlum05 »

I would clean out my 401K if need be to get Rose Bowl tickets if we were ever to go.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

UofAlum05 wrote:I would clean out my 401K if need be to get Rose Bowl tickets if we were ever to go.
agreed.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

azpenguin wrote:Who, me? Nah. :mrgreen:

Always thought outdoor would be interesting to do. It's a completely different type of design - the quickest of quick hits. Considering how much stuff some of my clients try to cram into a print ad, I can only imagine how much fun you guys have trying to walk some clients back from putting every single bit of info about their company into a billboard.
A lot of clients think all they need to do is repurpose their print ad. It's always a struggle getting people to remove text. Every word is sacred . . . even if there are 68 of them.

I'll PM you with some creative examples. You may get a kick out of some of the things we've done.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

from GB Wednesday email...
CACTUS KICKOFF ACTIVITY PICKING UP
There have been some encouraging signs in the past week regarding interest in the Cactus Kickoff. Ticket sales on our side of the stadium have been strong. The Alumni Association’s tailgate party is sold out. The hotel packages are sold out. In addition, we keep selling out of spots on the reverse Cat Cruiser. We recently added another bus that will transport fans from Tucson to Glendale and back. Go to ArizonaWildcats.com/cactuskickoff to get your game tickets or a spot on the bus.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

My daughter college savings is gone if cats get to the rose bowl.
Sid

Post by Sid »

CalStateTempe wrote:My daughter college savings is gone if cats get to the rose bowl.
Priceless.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

If anyone knows of an internet feed, post it. Not sure my kodi box carries FS1.

Tweet fixed!
Last edited by Merkin on Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

How does Sarah dovetail with Cactus Kickoff?
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

BYU vs. Arizona Game Preview

Broadcast

Date: Saturday, September 3rd
Game Time: 10:30 pm ET
Venue: University of Phoenix Stadium, Glendale, AZ
Network: FoxSports1

Why BYU Will Win

The quarterback situation is settled, for now, and it’s going to be Taysom Hill ready to roll. If he’s back to form after he missed almost all of last year suffering a foot injury in the opener against Nebraska, he’s the key. He’s the catalyst. He’s the star who can carry the team on his shoulders and get it through several of the brutal early showdowns. A veteran gunslinger, he’s big, mobile, and has the exact type of game that should give the mediocre Arizona defensive front fits.

The other big win for the Cougars is the return of running back Jamaal Williams from missing all of last year for a violation of team rules. He’ll take the pressure off the Hill and should be able to pound away to keep the Cougar offense in control. Own the time of possession, rely on the great secondary to stuff the Arizona passing game, and grind it out – the veteran team can do that.

Why Arizona Will Win

Can the Cougars handle the Arizona ground game? For the most part, BYU struggled against mobile quarterbacks and good rushing attacks last season, going 1-3 when giving up 190 yards or more. The Wildcats have the talent, experience, and flash in the backfield blow past the 200-yard mark as long as the line is going its job.

It’s not going to be a power game – it’s going to be fun and flashy. BYU will have its moments offensively, but Arizona will come up with more WOW plays.

Can the new look on defense work? The Wildcats were a nightmare last year getting torched on a regular basis over the second half of last year, and now the D has to go on without Scooby Wright and a slew of decent veterans. However, this is a young, athletic group now that should make up for mistakes by being more aggressive.

What’s Going To Happen?

Do you like the older, mature team, or the young group of fired up players looking to make a splash? Don’t discount the desperation factor, especially this early in the season. BYU has a tough road to deal with, and it’s not a stretch to think a bowl game might hinge on winning in Glendale.

It’s not a stunner that Hill is the starter for the Cougars, but now that this is a done deal, watch for him to come out and be brilliant. He and Williams will combine for over 200 rushing yards in a huge win – even though it’s early.

BYU vs. Arizona Prediction

Final Score: BYU 34, Arizona 30

Line: Arizona -1, o/u: 62

ATS Confidence: 5: Lock of the Century – 1: Move Along … 1

Must See Rating: 5: Any Ryan Lochte interview – 1: Bridget Jones’s Baby … 3
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

BYU message board.

http://cougarcorner.com/viewtopic.php?f ... 2e6ce479f6" target="_blank
http://www.cougarstadium.com/showthread ... -the-Field" target="_blank

Seems they feel they were mistreated back in 2006.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Didn't our AD issue an apology for that. Wasn't our brightest moment.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

azcat49 wrote:Didn't our AD issue an apology for that. Wasn't our brightest moment.
I don't remember that at all.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Chicat wrote:
azcat49 wrote:Didn't our AD issue an apology for that. Wasn't our brightest moment.
I didn't either, but I found this.

http://www.cougarboard.com/board/messag ... id=2103880" target="_blank
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Chicat wrote:
I don't either. Don't recall any UA AD apology ever.

Unlike the 2 the ASU AD gave to Arizona, one of the Kerr incident, the other for the Lute scoreboard one.

azgreg wrote:
Chicat wrote:

Can't find any other reference to it, does that link still work on Scout?
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Good game week press conference with Kalani Sitake, the new BYU coach. Easy to see why they hired him.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

azgreg wrote:
Chicat wrote:

That was it. Couldn't remember who it was, AD or president
Sid

Post by Sid »

Fuck BYU!

They have not a clue as to what's coming......

Can't wait!
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Here's the 2006 game if anyone is interested.

BAREDOWN

Post by BAREDOWN »

The poster that predicted the Cougars win 24-10 is pretty comical. When was the last time we only put up 10, let alone gave up 24?

This game will be in the mid to high 30s on both sides I would think...

azgreg wrote:BYU message board.

http://cougarcorner.com/viewtopic.php?f ... 2e6ce479f6" target="_blank
http://www.cougarstadium.com/showthread ... -the-Field" target="_blank

Seems they feel they were mistreated back in 2006.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Who is going to start the game thread? Ang?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

azcat49 wrote:Who is going to start the game thread? Ang?
Isn't that POM's job?
Last edited by azgreg on Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Saturday is going to be a long fucking day.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

azgreg wrote:
azcat49 wrote:Who is going to start the game thread? Ang?
Isn't that POM's job?

Oh yea, that's right. Get er going POM
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

azgreg wrote:Saturday is going to be a long fucking day.
The older I get, the later a 730 kickoff seems to me. That means I have to stay up until nearly midnight if I want to watch the whole game and then read the post game reports and posts on here...I wish all of our games would kickoff at like 4
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

I can deal with the 7:30 kickoffs in September... it's hot during the day. But the Pac needs to throw us a bone and get us some home kickoffs at 4 in October/November. Games with 4pm kickoffs at AZ Stadium are heaven.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

3:30 am kickoffs hurt. You people suck it up and go sit in the sun so I can watch the games at a normal hour.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Wilner's take:

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/collegespo ... s-week-24/" target="_blank

ARIZONA (minus-3) vs. BRIGHAM YOUNG (in Glendale): First installment of a three-game series is good timing for Arizona in that BYU is breaking in a new coaching staff. Expect Cougars quarterbacks Taysom Hill and/or Tanner Mangum to have some success through the air, but the difference will be Nick Wilson and the Wildcats’ running game. Line has dropped to 1. It’s headed the wrong way. Pick: Arizona.

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Merkin wrote:
Five out of five ESPN writers are picking the Cats.

http://www.espn.com/blog/pac12/post/_/i ... ainst-bama" target="_blank