2018 Recruit/Commitment Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

btfd16

Re: 2018 Recruit/Commitment Thread

Post by btfd16 »

I have never seen him play so I won't claim to know, but does Jamarye Joiner have a decent shot at being a similar QB of the future? No one is Khalil and that is obvious, but could Smith and Rod turn him into a good starter?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

btfd16 wrote:I have never seen him play so I won't claim to know, but does Jamarye Joiner have a decent shot at being a similar QB of the future? No one is Khalil and that is obvious, but could Smith and Rod turn him into a good starter?
Not sure.

I've seen him play. Great athlete, but not a very accurate QB.

He is actually considering changing positions so he can run track. Also, don't be surprised if he goes somewhere else.

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Texas DB, Dayven Coleman, decommits from UCLA. Arizona is on of the schools he will look at. Not highly ranked but has some pretty good physical measurements
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

MrBug708 wrote:Texas DB, Dayven Coleman, decommits from UCLA. Arizona is on of the schools he will look at. Not highly ranked but has some pretty good physical measurements
Don't forget about these others recruits as well. https://www.azdesertswarm.com/recruitin ... s-visitors" target="_blank
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

cordera89 wrote:
MrBug708 wrote:Texas DB, Dayven Coleman, decommits from UCLA. Arizona is on of the schools he will look at. Not highly ranked but has some pretty good physical measurements
Don't forget about these others recruits as well. https://www.azdesertswarm.com/recruitin ... s-visitors" target="_blank
I don't think any of those were decommitments or guys ucla is really after. I was strictly giving updates on a Ucla guy who is thinkiing about Arizona now
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

MrBug708 wrote:
cordera89 wrote:
I don't think any of those were decommitments or guys ucla is really after. I was strictly giving updates on a Ucla guy who is thinkiing about Arizona now
I add these potential recruit that might commit to UA. Now with Dayven Coleman decommit from UCLA? I put him in that list with rest of potential recruit that will or might commit to UA. Not a big deal thou.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Gotcha. I thought it was specifically telling me, but it was more of a info for the board.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

So anyone in this bunch going to have a immediate impact? Seems like a low key recruiting year.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

OSUCat wrote:So anyone in this bunch going to have a immediate impact? Seems like a low key recruiting year.
Who knew last years crop was going to produce they way they have to this point? I would imagine you would hope they would all come in and make an immediate impact it’s just hard to tell with 17/18 year old kids
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

OSUCat wrote:So anyone in this bunch going to have a immediate impact? Seems like a low key recruiting year.
I'm extremely disappointed with the RBs we got in this class. We're a predominant running offense and a 2 star from SD and a small 3 star back out of TX is the best we could do?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

ChooChooCat wrote:
I'm extremely disappointed with the RBs we got in this class. We're a predominant running offense and a 2 star from SD and a small 3 star back out of TX is the best we could do?
Diamonds in the rough. OKGs! RR knows how to recruit so don't worry about it. Have faith hater!
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

ChooChooCat wrote:
The one position we've never had a deficiency at under RR is RB...so second guessing him on those recruits seems like a stretch to me.

The small 3 Star RB from Texas is his divisions 6A Offensive MVP as a Junior with 2000 all purpose yards and 20 TD's. That's 6A...top talent
The SD RB is 5'8" and 210lbs...kid must be stacked...he ran for 1700 yards last year and is a 4.0 Saxophone playing student. What's not to love?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Seriously what isn't to love. When recruits have offer lists from schools like Arizona, Army, Hawaii, Columbia and UMass and then Texas southern, Alabama a&m and Howard you know you're getting the blue chippers.

whatisee

Post by whatisee »

ASUHATER! wrote:Seriously what isn't to love. When recruits have offer lists from schools like Arizona, Army, Hawaii, Columbia and UMass and then Texas southern, Alabama a&m and Howard you know you're getting the blue chippers.
And for some reason it seems like every year bigger programs come in and poach our recruits before the signing period. You know because RR doesn't know how to recruit or evaluate talent. Look at all of the guys that got snaked last year. I'm sure it was an easy sell to the recruits that RR is getting fired because the fan base is all up in arms, and want him gone for whatever reason. You're part of the problem and you don't even realize it.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Why are you jumping on me I'm being positive? What's with the negativity?

UALoco

Post by UALoco »

Anyone worth poaching who won't jump ship before NLI day?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

MrBug708 wrote:
cordera89 wrote:
Coleman visiting this weekend.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

UALoco wrote: Anyone worth poaching who won't jump ship before NLI day?
The two OL are probably worth it, but the JC OT is probably going to ASU, so I'm comfortable in saying he probably wasn't going to make it. The other one, hurts, mainly because we need OL. The other three are CB/WR types out of state that I'm sur eyou guys already have enough of those types
Woodcat

Post by Woodcat »

Anyone have any info on how many scholies we have available this year? We currently have 16 commits. I believe the ncaa allows a maximum of 25 per year. Of course teams can hand out scholies during the year to walkons and transfers. So do we have 9 scholies left, or is the number less than that? Any chance that one or more of the current 16 greyshirt (count against 2019 instead of 2018)?
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

I believe we have 2 open spots dues to gray shirts from last year
Woodcat

Post by Woodcat »

Thanks Whatisee. That sounds bleak. Especially with our needs on both lines. I'm hoping that we see a few greyshirts again this year. I didn't realize that we had quite that many (7) greyshirts last year.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

The NCAA is putting in rules limiting all the "shirts" in recruiting so not sure how things will ultimately look going forward
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Note that walk ons can only get scholies once they are in their junior class. If a walk on is awarded a scholarship as a freshman or sophomore that scholie comes from the class which the walk on entered.

Also walk ons from other scholarship sports (De Breer) will have their scholarship moved from track to football. That's why De Beer didn't play his first year, since RichRod had no scholie for him, so he just practiced on the football team, but will still a track athlete.

Football is at the top of the scholarship tier. A basketball player playing on the football team (Nate Rob) is using a football scholarship. A football player playing on the basketball team (Ortege Jenkins, Peter Hansen) is still using the football scholarship.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Great size. We need more like him.

https://247sports.com/Article/3-star-DL ... -110497759" target="_blank
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Arizona staff poached him from Iowa State. So, everyone can all stop with the Oregon crap now. Recruiting is a dog eat dog world.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

chiefzona wrote:Arizona staff poached him from Iowa State. So, everyone can all stop with the Oregon crap now. Recruiting is a dog eat dog world.
Don't disagree it's ruthless but 4 from one class is a little different. Also, 2 the day before they were supposed to be on campus/sign. Young decommited a month ago.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Welcome Young! Like the size and a solid list of offers too.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

We just need another DB named Young and have an entire Young defensive backfield.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

AZ has offered former USC defensive lineman Noah Jefferson (again). This would be a huge get (literally)
https://247sports.com/player/noah-jefferson-32680" target="_blank
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

chiefzona wrote:Arizona staff poached him from Iowa State. So, everyone can all stop with the Oregon crap now. Recruiting is a dog eat dog world.
While I don't disagree about your comment on recruiting in general, the Oregon poaching was all 11th hour with BB and Shear. Not even close but hey, got to knock the staff in some way, right Chief
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

azcat49 wrote:
While I don't disagree about your comment on recruiting in general, the Oregon poaching was all 11th hour with BB and Shear. Not even close but hey, got to knock the staff in some way, right Chief

Its not about quantity or timing. RR and staff are trying to poach committed players right now as we speak. Just because they aren't as successful at it as Willie T. doesn't mean they aren't trying. If RR could, he would poach all of USC's commits and still sleep like a baby at night. Point is that all of the coaches do it. Some are just better at it than others. Recruiting is dog eat dog. So, put that in your narrative and smoke it.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Sid

Post by Sid »

chiefzona wrote:
azcat49 wrote:

Its not about quantity or timing. RR and staff are trying to poach committed players right now as we speak. Just because they aren't as successful at it as Willie T. doesn't mean they aren't trying. If RR could, he would poach all of USC's commits and still sleep like a baby at night. Point is that all of the coaches do it. Some are just better at it than others. Recruiting is dog eat dog. So, put that in your narrative and smoke it.
Yes, but we've never had a QB in the Heisman race either. A lot easier to poach recruits when your program is on the rise and you have a QB that kids want as a future teammate. I will say this, it’s about fucking time as it feels outstanding to actually be in a position to poach!
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Sid- Tate’s a QB? I thought he was a running back? :D
Sid

Post by Sid »

chiefzona wrote:Sid- Tate’s a QB? I thought he was a running back? :D
Same thing Helton said.

:D
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Sid wrote:
chiefzona wrote:Sid- Tate’s a QB? I thought he was a running back? :D
Same thing Helton said.

:D
You meant Sark. :D
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

chiefzona wrote:
azcat49 wrote:

Certainly not about quantity but it is about timing. Taggert had no west coast ties and had little to no relationships with these kids. No doubt he scanned the committed rosters of certain teams that were vulnerable and went after them aggressively. Would RR or any other coach do the same, I do think so. After all it is recruiting. Is it low brow, without a doubt.

I do agree there are some that are better at it than others and this Oregon staff excelled at it. I guess good on them. But comparing poaching an Iowa St kid who had already decommitted a MONTH ago to BB or Shear is not even in the same realm. As for smoking, I don't so I will leave the pipe smoking to you
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

49- It’s not a comparison. It’s a reality. RR is trying to do what Taggart is doing. So, out of 20 he got 1 and Taggart got more. The point is that all of these coaches are dogs. They have to be. The steady income they are receiving pays for their lifestyles and keeps their wives at bay. They could care less about pissing you off because they don’t deal with you. Taggart is an opportunist. RR is an opportunist. Neither is ethically better than the other but Taggart is better than RR at recruiting. If you want to look at it this way.....I encourage you to do so. Taggart did RR a favor. He helped to weed out the weasels from the OKGs. :lol: Dudek lives!
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

chiefzona wrote:
azcat49 wrote:

Actually Chief I think its a lot about timing. RR was on the bubble and do you think for a minute Willie T didn't use that to poach those kids? I can almost hear him telling them, Why do you want to go there for? He's just going to get fired. He also singled out some kids with Oregon ties to pull that on. Yea you are right, recruiting is cut throat and yea we'll try to poach a kid from another program if we think we have a shot. I can think of a number of kids Arizona has poached. My feelings on that are, yea go get em. They'd do it to us in a nanosecond.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

chiefzona wrote:49- It’s not a comparison. It’s a reality. RR is trying to do what Taggart is doing. So, out of 20 he got 1 and Taggart got more. The point is that all of these coaches are dogs. They have to be. The steady income they are receiving pays for their lifestyles and keeps their wives at bay. They could care less about pissing you off because they don’t deal with you. Taggart is an opportunist. RR is an opportunist. Neither is ethically better than the other but Taggart is better than RR at recruiting. If you want to look at it this way.....I encourage you to do so. Taggart did RR a favor. He helped to weed out the weasels from the OKGs. :lol: Dudek lives!

Can't disagree with much of your post although I do think it points to the urgency Taggert had last year and the fact he had no west coast ties. I do think Oregon and Nike makes Taggert a better recruiter. I also think RR gets off a little to much on his own evals and this creates more misses in his classes. I also agree IF RR could poach a kid and get him to flip that he would in a heartbeat as would most coaches
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Seeing some stuff on Twitter that Jamarye Joyner took a swing at Coach Pat Nugent after Cienega lost to Notre Dame Prep 37-34.
-JB
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

UAEebs86 wrote:Seeing some stuff on Twitter that Jamarye Joyner took a swing at Coach Pat Nugent after Cienega lost to Notre Dame Prep 37-34.
No.

100% incorrect
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

whatisee wrote:
UAEebs86 wrote:Seeing some stuff on Twitter that Jamarye Joyner took a swing at Coach Pat Nugent after Cienega lost to Notre Dame Prep 37-34.
No.

100% incorrect
So apparently there's a fake Richard Obert (Arizona Republic writer) Twittter account out there and I fell for it. My bad.

I didn't think he was well known enough to have a parody account. :D
-JB
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

This kid is visiting December 1st, he's the 4th best punter recruit in the country. Offer him 12 scholarships at this point.

https://247sports.com/Player/Ryan-Wright-46040423" target="_blank
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Just when I think there might be hope for UA football RRod signs another midget sub 6 foot receiver with an offer list composed of MWC and WAC schools. Someone please tell me that this kid is a preferred walk on! And this WR is UNRANKED and has a blazing 40 yard dash time of 4.88 seconds. I'm sure that will allow him to get great separation at the college level :lol:

https://247sports.com/Recruitment/Jaile ... tInterests" target="_blank

https://www.azdesertswarm.com/football/ ... en-targets" target="_blank

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/foot ... len-bailey" target="_blank

What the hell is RRod thinking??????????????????
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

It's all he can get. The next time he signs a top 40 class will be cause for celebrations

whatisee

Post by whatisee »

Curious...does anyone know who the greyshirts are that will be filling the rest of this class?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Going to be some big news today on recruiting. Heard it at the Oregon game from one of the parents. Fingers crossed
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Adam Plant recommitted.