95 Days JJ Allen

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

ANGCatFan

95 Days JJ Allen

Post by ANGCatFan »

95 is an open roster spot so I'll look at one of the incoming players not yet assigned a number.

Allen is a 6-4, 250, defensive end from Long Beach CC and West Torrance HS, Long Beach, CA. I was unable to find a definitive answer, but it looks like he has 3 years to play 3. JJ (or Josh) played 1 year at Long Beach CC and then sat out last season to preserve a year of D1 eligibility. In his 1 year at Long Beach he had 7 sacks and 17 tackles for a loss showing the potential to be an immediate impact player for Arizona.

First, it is just fun to list a defensive end recruit. I've missed defensive ends and glad to see them again part of our defense. Allen had a long and bumpy road to becoming a Wildcat. He committed and then de-committed from Arizona before finally signing with the class. Here is some analysis on Allen from Gabe Encinas at AZDS:
There is a clear need for size on the defensive line, and Arizona just got it. He's just a mean, nasty dude on the end and can work his way around the line to attack the quarterback. He can disrupt the offense and cause mayhem in the battle. Allen has a high IQ on his pursuit and can line up at the three or five technique and can play in a two, three or four-point stance. Quite honestly, there might not be a better defensive end prospect that Arizona has landed.

Allen will be able to come in immediately next year and replace Reggie Gilbert and give the Arizona defense that hard edge up front in the trenches.

95 yards is also the longest pass play by Arizona last year. Brandon Dawkins hit Trey Griffey who then proceeded to run past every player in the ASSu secondary. Here is the best video I could find, but nothing I could embed.

95 is also the number of wins Coach Dick Tomey had at Arizona. From the AFO Countdown.

No. 95 Highest Average Per Punt, Game: 57.6 yards, Danny Baugher vs. Purdue, Sept. 17, 2005 (7-403)
Main Event

Re: 95 Days JJ Allen

Post by Main Event »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Fucking hell....
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Sigh
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

What a total waste of time recruiting this guy.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

punk
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

UA is not Stanford, UCLA or Cal. You only have to a little bit of effort to get into the UA.

Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Merkin wrote:UA is not Stanford, UCLA or Cal. You only have to a little bit of effort to get into the UA.

I do know that U of A has some weird rule with JUCO transfer that ASU does not have that Rich Rod has complained about in the past. Think its something like U of A does not count a JUCO class if you get a C in it or maybe a D as credit but ASU does. I believe it does make it a little harder for JUCO recruits to qualify for us.

But still this guy took a redshirt year last year so all he had to do was focus on School.
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Staff knew about that two months ago. I don't think it's much of a loss though I do like JJ. I don't think he would've fit too well in the system. Just my opinion.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

ANGCatFan wrote:
Let's say that happens. Will he then only have one year of eligibility remaining?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

azgreg wrote:
ANGCatFan wrote:
Let's say that happens. Will he then only have one year of eligibility remaining?
He had 3 years to play 3, now he will have 2 years to play 2 if my math is correct.
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

I personally think the guy is a complete flake and I'm betting we never see him enroll at the UofA. He will simply drift off into obscurity.