71 Days Coach Donte' Williams

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

ANGCatFan

71 Days Coach Donte' Williams

Post by ANGCatFan »

Williams enters his first season with Arizona as the new cornerbacks coach. He spent the last 3 years with San Jose State. He has gotten a lot of great press for being one of the west's top recruiters (SI ranked him as one of the top 10 recruiters in the country last year), but no one should overlook his coaching credentials. In the 2 years that Williams was the secondary coach for San Jose State they finished 1st in 2014 (117.8 yards per game) and 2nd in 2015 (153.6 yards per game) in FBS for pass defense. Here's my favorite line from his bio:
The Spartans’ defense made immediate improvement with Williams, who was promoted from cornerbacks coach to secondary after one year. In his first season overseeing the entire secondary in 2014, San Jose State’s total defense improved 56 spots in the FBS rankings, while passing yards allowed improved 74 spots and passing touchdowns allowed jumped 103 spots.
If nothing else, Arizona's defense from last year left room for that kind of improvement.

Williams has been coaching since 2007 after graduating from Idaho State in 2006. He played 1 year of football at Syracuse and 2 at Idaho State and also 2 years in the Arena Football League after graduation. Prior to San Jose State Williams spent 2 years as a graduate assistant at Washington. During that period he also completed a summer coaching internship with the Seattle Seahawks (who had an ok secondary).

71.5 was the average number of penalty yards per game by Arizona opponents last year. That led the PAC 12. We also led the conference in total penalties by opponents with 95 on the season.

No. 71 Highest Completion Percentage Season, More than 200 attempts: 69.1, Nick Foles, 2011 (560 attempts, 387 completions, 14 interceptions, 4,334 yards, 28 touchdowns)
azgreg

Re: 71 Days Coach Donte' Williams

Post by azgreg »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Fuck
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

There goes the entire defensive recruiting class.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

If true, there is no reason not to can Rich. The hope of him bringing in decent players for the next regime was the only saving grace in my eyes to keeping Rodriguez around. If he is gone our top two recruits (Tillford and Johnson) are gone and we could end up with a worse class than last years travesty of a class.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Can't blame him. That is one elite program.

I thought RR had his staff sign 2 year contracts though?

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Merkin wrote:Can't blame him. That is one elite program.
Elite recruiters usually earn that reputation at places where the name alone doesn't attract 4 start talent. So I'm not sure if this is the best move for him.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Hope Mr. Brown is right.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

2016 sucks!!
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

I would imagine if Donte Williams that important to RR and this recruiting class and employment (success or fail), Byrne would ante up. Believe Assistant coaches normally run on 1-year contracts. Magee and Yates had to get Regents approval to get their two-year.

To me seems odd, that Donte Williams would jump to become a ST coach as being reported. It's Nebraska but still, ST?
Last edited by RazorsEdgeAZ on Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

Is it comfrim that he accept it the offer from Nebraska? Until I hear otherwise, I don't see how he leave comfort of West Coast to go Nebraska.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

gronk4heisman wrote:If true, there is no reason not to can Rich. The hope of him bringing in decent players for the next regime was the only saving grace in my eyes to keeping Rodriguez around. If he is gone our top two recruits (Tillford and Johnson) are gone and we could end up with a worse class than last years travesty of a class.
So the only reason to fired RR was become his Williams leaving for a better job and hope that recruiting class doesn't falter if he decide to leave. when we don't know if he accept the job? Well it isn't RR fault that he hired a good recruiter and bond to know that something like this would happen. Should Yates go to a better place than Arizona? Keep that mess to yourself.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

lol
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

Main Event wrote: lol
That doesn't tell us if he actually leaving Arizona for Nebraska. Is it confirm that he leaving?
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

He gone
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

I want confirmation that he already left Arizona to Nebraska. Not just Nebraska is close to signing him or He close of making a deal with them.
uacat540

Post by uacat540 »

He is gone, everyone has said they expect him to leave any minute now. Short of someone at the AD giving a huge raise, hes gone. So is this recruiting class.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

His leaving would be all you would need to know about how the coaches feel about where RR might be taking this program. We are bending over and getting lubed up pretty good. This is going to get really ugly recruiting wise
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

Well I guess RR is going to find a way keep recruiting class intact then. And got to go out and hire yet another DB coach.

Were only going to lose Greg Johnson and half of LA recruiting effort. I'm not even worry about what we will lose for the next couple months if indeed we will lose a few recruit because of him. This should open the doors for our staff to go after others Recruits. We should be fine next season.
uacat540

Post by uacat540 »

Uh, you sir are wrong. Its Greg Johnson, Thomas Graham, Potentially Darnay Holmes. Those guys going this late in the game doesnt open Arizona up for other high quality guys. It opens Arizona up to be fucked...and thus RR's final nail in the coffin.
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

UPDATE: Nebraska Online who 1st reported Williams to Nebraska saying Huskers looking to potentially shuffle of share responsibilities so Williams can maybe coach safeties or DBs along with some ST. Maybe release another existing Husker coach to help land Williams. Also reporting that part of this is Husker's "CALiBraska" movement and really also targeting Greg Johnson, Thomas Graham and Darnay Holmes
Last edited by RazorsEdgeAZ on Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

it depends on who we get to replace him and then we'll have to re-recruit these kids.
uacat540

Post by uacat540 »

Williams is lead recruiter on the following:
Greg Johnson
Rhedi Short
Scott Young
Brian Casteel
Xavier Bell
Joshua Brown

Not good.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Say by to calizona and say hello to Calibraska we are fucked and RR should leave now
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

azcat49 wrote:His leaving would be all you would need to know about how the coaches feel about where RR might be taking this program. We are bending over and getting lubed up pretty good. This is going to get really ugly recruiting wise

I doubt his reason for leaving isn't RR on where the program is heading. His reason is just obvious he will be out of the job next season doesn't if RR was fired.. Was Nebraska recruiting a few of our recruit also.

It wont be ugly, It would open the door for RR and the staff to go out and recruit. I'm not worrying about what we will lose. History does repeat itself with Good Assistant from Arizona leaving for better Job. It not RR fault for hiring a good assistant and good recruiter and just to know after one season that assistant is going to another school.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

uacat540 wrote:Williams is lead recruiter on the following:
Greg Johnson
Rhedi Short
Scott Young
Brian Casteel
Xavier Bell
Joshua Brown

Not good.
Then let hope that our Staff can keep those recruits intact. Only one I don't see coming is Greg Johnson.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

3goggles wrote:Say by to calizona and say hello to Calibraska we are fucked and RR should leave now
Why would RR should leave? Because of one fucking assistant coaching and Handful of recruits that might decommit. Ok Look I really don't care about Donte Williams leaving. What good did he really do for us after one season? Listen RR and the Staff can do one or two thing? Keep class intact or Go out and recruit. It not his fault that something like this was going to happen where he hired a good assistant and good recruiter to know after one season he leave for something bigger. Stop whining and had faith that staff keep the class intact or go out and recruit until NSD
KillerKlown

Post by KillerKlown »

azcat49 wrote:His leaving would be all you would need to know about how the coaches feel about where RR might be taking this program. We are bending over and getting lubed up pretty good. This is going to get really ugly recruiting wise
No. All this means is that Nebraska is still Nebraska and a destination place. A move up. It does not mean the coaches dislike or don't respect RR or "where RR might be taking this program".
Mike Luke's burner account.
uacat540

Post by uacat540 »

cordera89 wrote:
3goggles wrote:Say by to calizona and say hello to Calibraska we are fucked and RR should leave now
Why would RR should leave? Because of one fucking assistant coaching and Handful of recruits that might decommit. Ok Look I really don't care about Donte Williams leaving. What good did he really do for us after one season? Listen RR and the Staff can do one or two thing? Keep class intact or Go out and recruit. It not his fault that something like this was going to happen where he hired a good assistant and good recruiter to know after one season he leave for something bigger. Stop whining and had faith that staff keep the class intact or go out and recruit until NSD
This makes no sense. This guy did a lot of good for us in the 8 or so months he has been here. He brought in some high caliber kids and was on the heal of 3 or 4 more. You are looking at what he had committed and not some of the other guys we were close on. Ambry Thomas is on record saying that Williams is his guy and the best recruiter he has dealt with. That dude is a Michigan guy coming out here for a visit because of Williams. He started having inroads in California, in less than a year. It takes more that 12 months to really see that come to a head. We are losing the recruiter Arizona needs, he plays Xbox with guys, is young and hungry, and relates to those kids and has west coast ties. You forget, Williams leaving also opens that pipeline to Nebraska and shuts Arizonas off.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

If it's not a done deal yet Byrne needs to make Williams a real nice pitch to stay.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

uacat540 wrote:
cordera89 wrote:
This makes no sense. This guy did a lot of good for us in the 8 or so months he has been here. He brought in some high caliber kids and was on the heal of 3 or 4 more. You are looking at what he had committed and not some of the other guys we were close on. Ambry Thomas is on record saying that Williams is his guy and the best recruiter he has dealt with. That dude is a Michigan guy coming out here for a visit because of Williams. He started having inroads in California, in less than a year. It takes more that 12 months to really see that come to a head. We are losing the recruiter Arizona needs, he plays Xbox with guys, is young and hungry, and relates to those kids and has west coast ties. You forget, Williams leaving also opens that pipeline to Nebraska and shuts Arizonas off.
Exactly I would go as far as to make Williams the DC to keep him here. He is worth that much a recruiter.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Chicat wrote:If it's not a done deal yet Byrne needs to make Williams a real nice pitch to stay.
It's going to be hard bacause they are all out recruiting right now.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

3goggles wrote:
Chicat wrote:If it's not a done deal yet Byrne needs to make Williams a real nice pitch to stay.
if there were only a way to communicate over long distances.......
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

azgreg wrote:
3goggles wrote:
Good joke!!!! It's much better to make the pitch face to face. I think we should offer him more then Nebraska to keep him here
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

does it matter if he leaves? we'll be hiring an all new coaching staff in a year anyway.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

DW is a rising star and we need to do what it takes to keep him here. I like the idea of making him DC. Yates would be the fall guy but, with that Idaho financial scandal he has going, I don't think it is a huge loss. Or maybe a co-DC role? There are 9 recruits tied to DW and I think we'd lose at least 1/2 of them if not more. If we can't keep a guy here from going to a place were the low will be 9 degrees in a few days...I guess they really don't have faith that they can take Arizona someplace special.

I'm so pissed right now. :cry:
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

3goggles wrote:
azgreg wrote:
3goggles wrote:
Good joke!!!! It's much better to make the pitch face to face. I think we should offer him more then Nebraska to keep him here
I know. I was just dicking with you. :D
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

I wouldn't want Donte Williams to take on DC role. At least not yet. Would want to keep him free from other admin responsibilities to do what he does best, build relationships, sell and be face-to-face with recruits as much as possible.

Be hard for UA to compete dollar for dollar with likes of Nebraska. Especially when many thought UA was just a stepping stone for Williams anyway. That and the uncertainty with RR and buyouts.

Huskers pay their DC $500K, CBs coach $400K and old ST coach less. I assume all will get $ bumps. Lincoln also long ways and cold from L.A. Which I think would play a factor in needing to match $ for $.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

uacat540 wrote:
cordera89 wrote:

Did these recruit sign their NLT with us yet?
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

3goggles wrote:
That a good thing with our staff to go out and recruit enough said.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

KillerKlown wrote:
No. All this means is that Nebraska is still Nebraska and a destination place. A move up. It does not mean the coaches dislike or don't respect RR or "where RR might be taking this program".
Absolutely. Why did RichRod leave WVU for UM? IT'S AN ELITE PROGRAM! Nebraska is elite.

And if you have been to Nebraska, you know it's the only game in town. Or in state.

cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

azgreg wrote:it depends on who we get to replace him and then we'll have to re-recruit these kids.
But their another problem with on who is going to replace him because Next Season is so critical and possible out of the job in one season.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

cordera89 wrote:
azgreg wrote:it depends on who we get to replace him and then we'll have to re-recruit these kids.
But their another problem with on who is going to replace him because Next Season is so critical and possible out of the job in one season.
Fuck it then. Shut the whole thing down.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

uacat540 wrote:Uh, you sir are wrong. Its Greg Johnson, Thomas Graham, Potentially Darnay Holmes. Those guys going this late in the game doesnt open Arizona up for other high quality guys. It opens Arizona up to be fucked...and thus RR's final nail in the coffin.
It Open the door for RR and the Staff to go out and recruit other high quality prospects. This isn't a nail in the coffin in our recruiting. If you want him gone that bad because of one fucking staff member left for another school and possible ruin our best class. Then don't watch a single Arizona Football game Next season. Get over it, It not fucking big deal, Let them go out and recruit, We still have a long way before National Signing Day.
uacat540

Post by uacat540 »

Merkin wrote:
KillerKlown wrote:
Absolutely. Why did RichRod leave WVU for UM? IT'S AN ELITE PROGRAM! Nebraska is elite.

And if you have been to Nebraska, you know it's the only game in town. Or in state.

I do not think Nebraska is an elite job, Arizona is the only game in town, doesnt make it an elite job. I do think we put to much emphasis on weather at Arizona but as a college athlete, there is never enough emphasis with women and man does Arizona kill it in that department. All of that being said, Nebraska probably has, at best, at top 75 coach? Riley went 9-3 this year. Care to guess how many wins he has against 1) Teams with winning records 2) teams with 6-6 records and 3)teams with a losing record? Ill give you a guess, if you think Arizona's 2014 season was a mirage/fools gold, the Nebby season makes it look like it was a daunting schedule. The B1G is so damn top heavy this year that 9-3 is pretty easy to get to. There is no way Riley is in that job for more then 4 years. I use him as a be careful for what you wish for because while Pelini was a jackass a la Stoops, he won a consistent 9-10 games a year. Riley has one 10 games, once in his life (108-90 career).
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

As of a few seconds ago, DW was still flying UA colors in Twitter. His lawyers are probably polishing off the paperwork right now. If Nebraska punks us, it won't be the first or last time that happens with the likes of a NCAA Football Powerhouse. It is our place in NCAA football unless something drastically changes..like the big one happens and Oregon, Washington, and Cali fall into the Pacific. Anyways, DW leaving would make the chances of this administration digging out of this hole almost impossible. DW leaves, his top recruits go with him, we pick up a half decent coach to back fill, he brings a couple mountain west recruits with him, and our D is guaranteed to be as bad or worse next year. At least now we have some hope of improvement with DW's recruits coming in. Oh well, this is the life an Arizona Football fan.

:?
uacat540

Post by uacat540 »

cordera89 wrote:
uacat540 wrote:Uh, you sir are wrong. Its Greg Johnson, Thomas Graham, Potentially Darnay Holmes. Those guys going this late in the game doesnt open Arizona up for other high quality guys. It opens Arizona up to be fucked...and thus RR's final nail in the coffin.
It Open the door for RR and the Staff to go out and recruit other high quality prospects. This isn't a nail in the coffin in our recruiting. If you want him gone that bad because of one fucking staff member left for another school and possible ruin our best class. Then don't watch a single Arizona Football game Next season. Get over it, It not fucking big deal, Let them go out and recruit, We still have a long way before National Signing Day.
I see you dont believe in logic. This one "fucking staff member" brought it recruits that Arizona never had a chance with under the previous coaches that were fired. I do not think its a reach to think the following: Donte was the reason why Johnson was coming here, and potentially 3-4 other guys. When he leaves, those guys leave with him and no longer look at Arizona. Thus, Donte made Arizona attractive to high caliber recruits and with him gone, its back to the cellar we go. RR has not recruited well at Arizona, the minute Williams comes on, recruiting picks up. When he leaves, what gives you the hope we can keep those guys or get in on guys that are equivalent?
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

uacat540 wrote:
cordera89 wrote:
I see you dont believe in logic. This one "fucking staff member" brought it recruits that Arizona never had a chance with under the previous coaches that were fired. I do not think its a reach to think the following: Donte was the reason why Johnson was coming here, and potentially 3-4 other guys. When he leaves, those guys leave with him and no longer look at Arizona. Thus, Donte made Arizona attractive to high caliber recruits and with him gone, its back to the cellar we go. RR has not recruited well at Arizona, the minute Williams comes on, recruiting picks up. When he leaves, what gives you the hope we can keep those guys or get in on guys that are equivalent?
debating cordera is like debating a bowl of soup
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

uacat540 wrote:
cordera89 wrote:
Well technically Williams hasn't landed us anybody, because none of these guys signed.

Eh whatever, it's just another day in Arizona football. Anybody good with just dropping football and becoming Gonzaga at this point?
uacat540

Post by uacat540 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
uacat540 wrote:
cordera89 wrote:
Well technically Williams hasn't landed us anybody, because none of these guys signed.

Eh whatever, it's just another day in Arizona football. Anybody good with just dropping football and becoming Gonzaga at this point?
Only if we can build a new basketball stadium like Louisville have and we turn the football stadium into a water park...with a viewing area.