23 J.J. Taylor

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

ANGCatFan

23 J.J. Taylor

Post by ANGCatFan »

Switched from 25 to 23 on 30 Aug.

Taylor is a 5'6", 155, Freshman running back from Centennial HS, Corona, CA. After gaining 2,290 yards and 44 TDs as a Senior, Taylor was named Mr. Football as the states top offensive player by CalHiSports.com, an All-Inland 1st Team, and a Blue-Grey All-American.

Here is the Scout analysis on Taylor:
What to Like: Taylor has been extremely productive the last two years and is the latest in a long line of talented running backs to come out of Centennial. He’s incredibly quick and explosive and there may not be another back out West who hits the hole any faster. He runs a lot harder than his size would indicate and shows great balance, often staying on his feet after first and second contact. He’s more quick than fast but has great vision and does a nice job setting up a secondary defender and is very difficult to take down in the open field because of how elusive he is. Taylor also shows great hands out of the backfield and will be able to play some slot in college. He should also see the field right away returning punts and kicks and will be a likely fan favorite because of his wide open running style.

Areas to improve: Taylor is one the smallish side and doesn’t project as an every down back in college. He’s a very durable runner who can carry the ball 25+ a game at the HS level, but in college, he’ll likely be more of a change of pace of back who can come in on 3rd downs and also play out of the slot. As mentioned above, he’s more quick than fast and can continue to improve his top end speed. He runs very hard for his size and runs through contact, which is a plus but also makes him prone to taking a lot of shots and that could wear him down a bit at the next level. Of course he won’t be asked to carry the ball nearly as much in college as he does for Centennial.

Overall Analysis: Taylor is a system back and Arizona is the perfect system for his playing style. He’s a versatile player you can move all over the field and is absolutely scary in the open field. His ability to catch the ball out of the backfield will make him especially dangerous on 3rd downs as matched up with a linebacker is a huge mismatch. Taylor is a highly competitive player who always runs hard and is a winner. He comes from a great H.S program that does a very good job preparing players for the next level. Taylor could use a redshirt year to get bigger and stronger but has a chance to be a talented playmaker for the program once he hits the field.

No. 25
Most rushing yards, season: 1,929, Ka’Deem Carey, 2012 (303 attempts)
Last edited by ANGCatFan on Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
ANGCatFan

Re: 25 J.J. Taylor

Post by ANGCatFan »

Gimino on JJ Taylor. This guy (JJ not AG) is going to have some spectacular plays this year. We need to get him in space and let him do his magic.
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

I think he size caused a lot of teams to look past him to other players. Can't wait to see him in action and in space. He's a proven product since he played against a lot of division 1 guys in high school
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I remember David Adams being pretty small but effective.
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

azgreg wrote:I remember David Adams being pretty small but effective.
JJ's tape reminds me of the Rodgers brothers from OSU, and he's about the same size as those two
Sid

Post by Sid »

Sounds like from what I'm hearing BYU will get the pleasure of seeing Mr. Taylor.

BYU's defense and my favorite scene from Jaws comes to mind......

Quint: [seeing Hooper's equipment] What are you? Some kind of half-assed astronaut?

[examining the shark cage]

Quint: Jesus H Christ, when I was a boy, every little squirt wanted to be a harpooner or a sword fisherman. What d'ya have there - a portable shower or a monkey cage?

Hooper: Anti-Shark cage.

Quint: Anti-shark cage. You go inside the cage?

[Hooper nods]

Quint: Cage goes in the water, you go in the water. Shark's in the water. Our shark.

[sings]

Quint: Farewell and adieu to you, fair Spanish ladies. Farewell and adieu, you ladies of Spain. For we've received orders for to sail back to Boston. And so nevermore shall we see you again.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

azgreg wrote:I remember David Adams being pretty small but effective.
I remember our chant: "Adams to the left, Adams to the right, Adams up the middle".

Too bad he ended up on the wrong side of the law.
azgreg

Re: 23 J.J. Taylor

Post by azgreg »

This kid is fun to watch.
Last edited by azgreg on Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

helluva game vs. hawaii tonight - 168 yds on 16 carries with 1 td. hope he brings it against udub next week.
Sid

Post by Sid »

Thanks SC & Ucla for not giving this kid a sniff. Too small and only a 3 star.

:lol:
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

somebody needs to make a gif of that juke that sent the Hawaii guy flying
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

whatisee

Post by whatisee »

dirtbags wrote:Image
For the win! Nice job :lol:
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

That should make a highlight reel or a top 10 list somewhere...
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Dude was breaking ankles all night. Really fun to watch. Always amazes me how coaches miss on kids. Good for us and RR.

He played at the highest level of high school football in California and was the best player on arguably the best program (Centennial) and still got limited big time offers.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

Before I saw him last night I was pretty worried about his size or lack of it. After seeing him I'm still worried but not nearly as much. He seems to be able to avoid the full force of any tackling hit because of his elusiveness. At some point he is going to take a hard hit and we'll see how he responds. But as far as last night, great game J.J. You indeed have some moves.
Sid

Post by Sid »

dirtbags wrote:Image

Freaking awesome!
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

My only concern was durability. I mean he's 5'-6" and 170 lbs and Nick Wilson is 5'-10" and 208 lbs. But then I thought about Oregon Ducks De'Anthony Thomas (Black Mamba) and ESPN had him at 5'-9" and 160 lbs at time of commitment to the Ducks. Thomas is still only listed at 176 lbs. J.J. Taylor is shorter, so he must be a bit thicker than Thomas, so maybe there isn't a durability issue.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

OSUCat wrote:My only concern was durability. I mean he's 5'-6" and 170 lbs and Nick Wilson is 5'-10" and 208 lbs. But then I thought about Oregon Ducks De'Anthony Thomas (Black Mamba) and ESPN had him at 5'-9" and 160 lbs at time of commitment to the Ducks. Thomas is still only listed at 176 lbs. J.J. Taylor is shorter, so he must be a bit thicker than Thomas, so maybe there isn't a durability issue.
agreed...looks like Green will get a shot as much as Taylor. He looked like he was running hard last night which should come in handy in we do lose Nick.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

I think JJ is short but he does not look skinny. Definitely looks like a complete recruiting steal for us and those are some special moves he has.
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
The Butcher

Post by The Butcher »

Hard to hit a guy solid who can move like that and is 5'6. Sander-esque. And 170 is a bit of beef to pack on a 5'6 frame.

He'll be fine.

I realize I need to pump the brakes on this but I love his game and he does remind me of Sanders. Sanders was listed at 5'8 (maybe) and 200 lb (definitely). And much of that was in his legs and ass. Center of gravity and strength allowed him to break ankles by cutting on a dime and the ability to shed big ass linebackers. Being a man vertically challenged myself, I love Barry.

Check out the spin moves at 3:19 and 5:30. Look familiar? :shock:
Last edited by The Butcher on Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:57 am, edited 4 times in total.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Hoping he has the college impact and NFL future of Darren Sproles.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

If you take another look at his runs from the night, watch the way he works on guys. He doesn't just try to shake and bake them. He'll lead them with his eyes and upper body and get a read on which way they're committing, then he cuts.

Postgame, they asked how much instinct his spin moves were. He said it was coaching. He said in high school they were always working on hand-on-ground drills. Combine that with his low center of gravity and look out.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

Man, the kid has video game moves. As long as he doesn't get cocky and start trying to run over guys and he stays away from head on contact...he should be fine. Nick puts his head down and runs directly into guys. That is just is not good.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

brian jeffries was saying after the game that the players called jj the toughest one on the field to tackle during camp
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Damn this kid is fun to watch.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

...and he slowed up for the last several yards.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

In that clip Moreno posted he was unguardable as a receiver. We have to find a way to get him in space when he is not in the backfield running it.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

azpenguin wrote:...and he slowed up for the last several yards.
Yeah, but 40 times are not recorded from a running start. Meaningless stat from Ari.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Puerco wrote:
Yeah, but 40 times are not recorded from a running start. Meaningless stat from Ari.
Yep, but still fast.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

Puerco wrote:
Oh, I know. But he's still pretty damned fast.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Gimino is all aboard the JJ hype train.
TUCSON, AZ (Tucson News Now) -
Arizona coach Rich Rodriguez said the words I didn't want to hear.

"Hell," he said, "it's one game."

No, no, no, a billion-million times no.

RichRod, peppered with questions about J.J. Taylor in his weekly Monday press conference, was trying to pump the brakes on the hype train about his true freshman running back -- The Jolt? Circle Button? The Tornado? -- but let's go ahead and order full steam ahead.

You saw it.

It was just one game. But one heck of a promising game.

The spinning, the cutting, the darting, the speeding on 18 carries for 168 yards, including a 61-yard touchdown, Saturday night against Hawaii. Yeah, the Rainbow Warriors are one of the worst teams in the country, but Taylor's moves seemed like they would play up against USC or Stanford or the Cleveland Browns or this week's opponent, No. 9 Washington, which very well might have the best defense in the Pac-12.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

slightly surprised that RR has been downplaying the taylor hype. he's right on about making conclusions based on one data point vs. hawaii, of all teams (similar-ish with dawk), but it also takes some pressure off of nick - assuming that he's actually good to go this weekend. guess he didn't want to be unfair to jj.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I don't think Wilson will be ready if they have been giving Ty Johnson reps at RB in practice.

Someone said it looked like a high ankle sprain, although not a doctor.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Merkin wrote:I don't think Wilson will be ready if they have been giving Ty Johnson reps at RB in practice.

Do you play one on TV?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

azgreg wrote:
Merkin wrote:I don't think Wilson will be ready if they have been giving Ty Johnson reps at RB in practice.

Do you play one on TV?
Haha, I was really going to say that, but not sure how many would get the 1970 era TV commercial reference.
Catstatic

Post by Catstatic »

But it's not just one game. We have been hearing hype about this kid for a very long time, and now we know what all the hype was about. Taylor is absolutely for real. Here is hoping that when Wilson comes back they will split time between these two. Taylor has to get in the game and Wilson has to not carry the ball 30 times a game! We need a healthy Wilson and Taylor needs significant PT. These two plus Dawkins, who can go for 6 at any time? Nice.

Go Cats!!
Sid

Post by Sid »

Catstatic wrote:But it's not just one game. We have been hearing hype about this kid for a very long time, and now we know what all the hype was about. Taylor is absolutely for real. Here is hoping that when Wilson comes back they will split time between these two. Taylor has to get in the game and Wilson has to not carry the ball 30 times a game! We need a healthy Wilson and Taylor needs significant PT. These two plus Dawkins, who can go for 6 at any time? Nice.

Go Cats!!
ESPN will start hyping him after Saturday night. My (2) favorite recruits I have been pumping up even before they stepped on campus were JJ and Tristan. I'm just excited they've been given the opportunity to show what they can do. Speaks to if a young man comes in with a strong work ethic & eager to learn you will be given every opportunity to earn playing time early in your career at Arizona. A positive on the recruiting trail I would hope....
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Sid wrote: My (2) favorite recruits I have been pumping up even before they stepped on campus were JJ and Tristan.

http://tucson.com/sports/arizonawildcat ... &id=201408" target="_blank
Sid

Post by Sid »

Merkin wrote:
Sid wrote: My (2) favorite recruits I have been pumping up even before they stepped on campus were JJ and Tristan.

http://tucson.com/sports/arizonawildcat ... &id=201408" target="_blank
Awesome. Way too late thou, but better late than never I guess?
BMalo

Post by BMalo »

Posted in wrong thread.

JJ out w a broken ankle per RR in post game presser
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

Absolutely heart breaking. I mean, come on.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

We are snakebit.

PS - Fuck that Washington defender who kept pushing JJ after the play was well over and the whistle was blown. I hope his girlfriend gives him a raging case of anal warts.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Can he get a medical redshirt? F this noise, playing with our 4th string RB. What is with these injuries?
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

azcat49 wrote:Can he get a medical redshirt? F this noise, playing with our 4th string RB. What is with these injuries?
Yes...he's eligible. If he continues to play as he did this year after his injury. We won't have to worry about him being here for 5 years. Kid is a fucking stud. My ankle would have busted had that fatass rolled on it.

Nice thing about next year is it's possible we'll have 3 studs at RB
uacat540

Post by uacat540 »

Did anyone else find the way washington tackles a bit weird? They love to bring players down by the neck and then roll them backwards?
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

Really feel bad for the kid. He got his chance, he was playing well for the second straight game, and then a freak injury occurs.