Hawaii @ Arizona discussion thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

azgreg

Hawaii @ Arizona discussion thread

Post by azgreg »

No line yet. I'm guessing Vegas is waiting for a QB decision. Merk posted a tweet from Hansen about the Cats having different unis for this game, but that tweet has since been removed.
azpenguin

Re: Hawaii @ Arizona discussion thread

Post by azpenguin »

Hansen might have tweeted something he was told to keep quiet about. Scheer tweeted "Word on the street is there may be some special uniforms this week. We shall see." Little less specific and that tweet is still up.

I think one thing Arizona needs to do Saturday is give some different guys looks at field corner. Neal has been getting abused badly over there. Cruikshank has been holding his own, and I think he'll improve with some more experience, but Grambling figured out they could throw at Neal all night. Other thing I want to see? More JJ Taylor.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Given that GSU/Arizona featured the ugliest half I've ever seen the Cats play, I'm not sure I feel comfortable about making a lot of predictions.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Not that RichRod is known for being truthful.

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

azgreg wrote:
So the team will actually take the field for the first half?
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

High snaps a plenty
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

I'm going to wait longer before my RAP picks this week. That bit me in the ass, but what's new. I suck at RAP!!
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

what's nate's injury, and is he expected to be back on the field this week? i don't think i caught it during the game - something about his shoulder? not that more opportunities for trey is necessarily a bad thing.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

dirtbags wrote:what's nate's injury, and is he expected to be back on the field this week? i don't think i caught it during the game - something about his shoulder? not that more opportunities for trey is necessarily a bad thing.
It doesn't look like Nate's injury is significant. I think they just sat him as a precaution.
* Senior receiver Nate Phillips did not play. Rodriguez said Phillips’ shoulder was bothering him during warmups. He had a team-high seven catches for 69 yards in the opener against BYU.

* Because his ejection for targeting occurred in the second half, UA linebacker Cody Ippolito will have to sit out the first half against Hawaii. It’s possible Arizona could appeal the ruling.
http://tucson.com/sports/arizonawildcat ... bfc07.html" target="_blank
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

I don't know what we'll get for this game, but we actually pulled 1,000+ more for a FCS team than ASU pulled for a Big 12 opponent. I'm guessing we'll see about 45,000, same as this week.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Ippolito isn't starting, that's a change.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

Maybe it's the second half depth chart then.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

http://www.arizonawildcats.com/news/201 ... -game.aspx" target="_blank
Arizona to Recognize Pearl Harbor’s 75th Anniversary During Hawai’i Game
Arizona Athletics and the Arizona football program are looking forward to a special night this Saturday when the Wildcats take on Hawai'i.

By: Arizona Athletics
09/12/2016

TUCSON, Ariz. – Arizona Athletics and the Arizona football program are looking forward to a special night this Saturday when the Wildcats take on Hawai'i as WE REMEMBER the upcoming 75th anniversary of the attack on Pearl Harbor and the loss of the U.S.S. Arizona.

The athletics department is asking fans to enter the stadium by 7:40 p.m. in order to take part in a memorable National Anthem, coin toss presentation, and halftime tribute to recognize, remember and honor the memory of the U.S.S. Arizona and its officers and crewmen, including the 1,177 who lost their lives on Dec. 7, 1941. The game presentation will also include a moment during the game to thank all veterans in attendance.

As part of this remembrance, Arizona Athletics has extended a special invitation to all active and retired military to join us at the game. All active and retired military can purchase tickets to this game at 50% off. A military ID must be presented in person at the McKale Ticket Office to receive this discounted price. Other restrictions apply. For more information, call (520) 621-CATS (2287).

Activities will include:

Game Program: There will be a special edition of the game program including a commemorative cover, information on the University of Arizona's connection to the U.S.S. Arizona, and a list containing the names of the 1,177 crewmen and officers, who lost their lives aboard the U.S.S. Arizona.

National Anthem: You will not want to miss this national anthem ceremony. It will include U.S.S. Arizona survivor Lauren Bruner, a giant U.S. flag on the field presented by members of the UA's ROTC programs, the national anthem performed by a current UA ROTC cadet, and a skydiver.

Team Entrance: The Arizona football team will enter the field carrying a 48-star U.S. internment flag. The flag will be presented at midfield to U.S.S. Arizona survivor Lauren Bruner prior to the coin toss.

Coin Toss: The coin toss will use the squadron commander's coin from the 47th fighter squadron, stationed at Davis-Monthan. The 47th fighter squadron was originally the 47th Pursuit Squadron, and was assigned to Wheeler Field, Hawai'i. The squadron was credited with shooting down eight Japanese aircraft on Dec. 7, 1941, in defense of Pearl Harbor. Joining us to present the squadron coin on behalf of the 47th fighter squadron is Colonel Scott Campbell, Commander of the 355th Fighter Wing at DM Air Force Base.

WE REMEMBER Halftime: U.S.S. Arizona survivor Lauren Bruner and several World War II veterans will join us for an on-field ceremony to remember Pearl Harbor, to pay tribute to those lost during the attack and the subsequent world war, and to be honored for their military service to our country. These distinguished guests will be joined by UA President Ann Weaver Hart, UA Director of Athletics Greg Byrne, and the Pride of Arizona.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I was actually at the USS Arizona Memorial last month. My daughter lives near Pearl Harbor with her Navy hubby. Still tear up thinking about it.

As part of this remembrance, Arizona Athletics has extended a special invitation to all active and retired military to join us at the game. All active and retired military can purchase tickets to this game at 50% off

Really, half off? Give them the frickin' ticket for free. Guests can be half off.

I actually think this is a good idea. Get the DM airmen involved in UA football. Fort Huachuca too for that matter.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Hopefully that means Dawkins is getting 100% of the reps with first team, which he sorely needs to get his timing down with the receivers.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Goods #free Dawkins.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Merkin wrote:I was actually at the USS Arizona Memorial last month. My daughter lives near Pearl Harbor with her Navy hubby. Still tear up thinking about it.

As part of this remembrance, Arizona Athletics has extended a special invitation to all active and retired military to join us at the game. All active and retired military can purchase tickets to this game at 50% off

Really, half off? Give them the frickin' ticket for free. Guests can be half off.

I actually think this is a good idea. Get the DM airmen involved in UA football. Fort Huachuca too for that matter.
Always makes me shake my head when we don't schedule the Air Force academy for a game. DM would fill that stadium and we could do a flyover of A-10's.

Huge mistake as we haven't played them since the early 70's I think
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

azcat49 wrote: Always makes me shake my head when we don't schedule the Air Force academy for a game. DM would fill that stadium and we could do a flyover of A-10's.

When I was in the USAF I was stationed at Peterson Field in Colo Springs which is in the same city as the Academy for those that didn't know.

During home games all kinds of USAF generals and colonels would fly in for the games.

I think that's a great idea J.

Probably also don't have to pay to play the Academy like you do with Grambling and Hawaii.

What's next, free tickets for canned food?

ALASKACAT

Post by ALASKACAT »

Wow, and it is not just for the Hawaii game either. Offer applies to Washington, Stanford, Colorado game too.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

azcat49 wrote:
Merkin wrote:I was actually at the USS Arizona Memorial last month. My daughter lives near Pearl Harbor with her Navy hubby. Still tear up thinking about it.

Always makes me shake my head when we don't schedule the Air Force academy for a game. DM would fill that stadium and we could do a flyover of A-10's.

Flyover are getting harder and harder to do since they needed to be scheduled well in advance, including specific time where TV does that always set the times early enough to allow for it
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Hawaii Scout's score prediction thread.

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=219&f=1136&t=14958907" target="_blank
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

Orlando Bradford has been arrested and they've dismissed him from the program, according to the school.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

azpenguin wrote:Orlando Bradford has been arrested and they've dismissed him from the program, according to the school.
fantastic

wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

azgreg wrote:Hawaii Scout's score prediction thread.

Gotta be smoking lots of Dakine Pakalolo to be a 'Bows fan.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

wyo-cat wrote:

Gotta be smoking lots of Dakine Pakalolo to be a 'Bows fan.
It can't be easy these days.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Hawaii fans are an inconsistent lot. It's either that they beat us or we crush them.
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

Lol, last win of the year?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Gilbertcat wrote:Lol, last win of the year?
If Wilson gets hurt eventually as expected, and Bradford gone, it might well be, especially if run-shy Solomon goes back at QB.

Nick Wilson is no Kadeem Carey, he isn't an every down back.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Record against the Bows.

4-0

1998 @ Hawaii W 27 - 6
1977 @ Hawaii W 17 - 10
1952 vs Hawaii W 57 - 7
1951 @ Hawaii W 32 - 21
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Greg Byrne is a genius for creating all this buzz about a game which no one would watch otherwise, except for diehard Cat and Bows fans.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Merkin wrote:Greg Byrne is a genius for creating all this buzz about a game which no one would watch otherwise, except for diehard Cat and Bows fans.
well even if there is buzz, no one will watch it still. 11 pm eastern kickoff on a channel no one east of new mexico gets.

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

ASUHATER! wrote:
Merkin wrote:Greg Byrne is a genius for creating all this buzz about a game which no one would watch otherwise, except for diehard Cat and Bows fans.
well even if there is buzz, no one will watch it still. 11 pm eastern kickoff on a channel no one east of new mexico gets.
I imagine attendance will go up though.

Especially with the 2 for 1 tickets with your Taco Bell receipt.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

The new unis are sick.

Hope we can break them out again sometime.

There is a YouTube video out there, I'll embed when I get home if someone doesn't beat me to it.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Slate grey tops, red pants, block A from the 40s red on the helmet.

Squadron patches and all sorts of cool details.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Post game press conference

Normal Coach Rod, but he probably talks more about the injuries then he will all week. Interesting answer on if Anu can get Wally Pip'ed.

Taylor is working hard at becoming my favorite player on this team. Great, honest and simple answers to questions. I'm glad he had a lot of fun in the game, because he was a lot of fun to watch.