UW @ Arizona Discussion Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

scumdevils86

UW @ Arizona Discussion Thread

Post by scumdevils86 »

Ain't gonna be pretty if you ask me. Discuss...
FightWildcatsFight

Re: UW @ Arizona Discussion Thread

Post by FightWildcatsFight »

Not looking forward to it :? :?
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

turn us into believers, dawk and jj!
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Trap Game for UW.

CATS with the upset. Calling it.
WildcatStunner

Post by WildcatStunner »

Hoping we keep it within 10 for the first half.
Sid

Post by Sid »

Vodka post...sorry
Last edited by Sid on Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Sid wrote:Can we move the student section to the endzone please.

Thanks.
why?
Sid

Post by Sid »

[quote="CalStateTempe"][quote="Sid"]Can we move the student section to the endzone please.

Nothing to see here....
Last edited by Sid on Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

Sid wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:

Thanks.
why?
Why not? Maybe those that would like to purchase tickets in those sections can manage to stay and support our program for all 4 quarters.

Did you not see all the empty seats after halftime?
To be fair almost all of my section cleared out at halftime, and we're paying fans.

It was a OOC game and it was late, I think people just wanted to stay until they were sure we would win.

Side note: I was watching the Wisconsin game earlier that day and by halftime a lot of their student section was gone too, and it was a tight game with an FCS school. Students are gonna be students...
baconus66

Post by baconus66 »

Fishclamps wrote:
Sid wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:

Thanks.
why?
Why not? Maybe those that would like to purchase tickets in those sections can manage to stay and support our program for all 4 quarters.

To be fair almost all of my section cleared out at halftime, and we're paying fans.

It was a OOC game and it was late, I think people just wanted to stay until they were sure we would win.

Side note: I was watching the Wisconsin game earlier that day and by halftime a lot of their student section was gone too, and it was a tight game with an FCS school. Students are gonna be students...
For as much shit as the students constantly get, it always seems to me that the regular fans leave at about the same percentages as Zona Zoo. I specifically remember the the Zoo staying fuller than the rest of the place for the Hill Mary game. And regardless a %50 full Zoo provides twice as much energy and volume as a 100% full West side.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Sid wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:

Thanks.
why?

Did you see the rest of the stadium? Wasn't any different
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Obviously we're nothing special, but to me this UW team is seriously the most overhyped Pac-12 team in at least the last decade. I honestly don't see it.

Either way start Dawkins or gtfo.
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

ChooChooCat wrote:Obviously we're nothing special, but to me this UW team is seriously the most overhyped Pac-12 team in at least the last decade. I honestly don't see it.

Yeah I like Anu but......we need someone who's willing to run.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Yea everyone left early, not just students. Also....students are paying for their tickets too. More in fact than some season ticket holders. I wonder how old is have to be before I start hating on 20 year old kids for no real reason? Is there a magic switch that flips one day? I'm pushing 31 and it hasn't happened yet.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

ChooChooCat wrote:Obviously we're nothing special, but to me this UW team is seriously the most overhyped Pac-12 team in at least the last decade. I honestly don't see it.

this
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Sid wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:

Thanks.
why?

Too be fair also, I did go to bed at halftime. Although I did watch the full BYU and GSU games.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Fishclamps wrote:

Yeah I like Anu but......we need someone who's willing to run.
It's not only that honestly. If Anu was so superior in passing (like he was compared to Randall) then I surely wouldn't bench him, but he's literally the same exact player he was as a freshman and he's not light years better than his back up at passing the ball. Anu's weaknesses and strengths are exactly the same and he showed no signs of any sort of improvement in his one game this year, heck if anything it looks like he may have gotten worse. It's either that or BYU merely scouted his tape from the last two seasons and gameplanned for him being the exact same guy with zero improvements and turns out he was that same exact guy.

Here's what it boils down to for me, Anu is a RS Jr. who hasn't progressed at all from his first snap as a RS Fr. Now Dawkins may not be the long term answer at QB for Arizona, but Arizona isn't destined for the Rose Bowl or heck may not even be designed to finish in the top 4 of its own division this year regardless of QB play. Dawkins's ceiling is infinitely higher than Anu's just based on his ability as a dual threat and better size overall. Let him play this year and let him develop over this year with more experience, and then next year you have two 4 star QBs who are both dual threat to compete against him, as opposed to just having a RS Sr. Anu who will once again very likely be the same guy he was since day one further delay the process of developing and giving experience to QBs whom have higher ceilings than a RS Sr. Anu.

If this team had the roster to compete for something that mattered I would probably be ok with being behind a guy with experience who typically makes good decisions in Anu, but with the lack of talent we have on defense plus OL issues that will still take at minimum a couple of years to fix just what is the point of rolling out with Anu? I can't find a good excuse at this point to do so.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Time to hide the women and children. We have given up more than 400 yards the past two weeks to Hawaii and Grambling freaking State. How much yardage are the Huskies going to hang on us? 600? 700?? Its not going to be pretty.

Here is the most telling statistic (Size of the two defensive lines)

UA:

6-1 247
6-1 271
6-2 247

Washington

6-5 332
6-1 321
6-2 318
6-2 255

This will be yet another game where RRod finds out that Real football players >>>>> Walk Ons & OKG's
Last edited by dmjcat on Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

While we did give up 400 yards in this last game. We had a lot of 2nd and 3rd string guys in the game for the 4th.

Happy to see the continued pressure which IMO makes up for our lack of size.
Magloire played better last night
Cruikshank continues to look good
So does DFL...

I do think we'll have some issues with Ross and hopefully neal is up to the challenge. Because we all know that's who's going to get picked on.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

No doubt we don't announce who the starter will be until game time. Make Udub prepare for both.

If we have any of our OLine guys out(Alsadek and Debeer were hobbled) Dawk is a much better option.

Going to be tough on Anu no matter what as we will be going up against a much better defense and he will have some drive stall and people will say Dawkins could have got that.

Defensively I think we surprise a little. Our second half last night was typical of young kids knowing we had the game in hand and losing intensity. Should be no issue this week in keeping that for 60 minutes.

No doubt we will be home dogs. I am guessing g UDUB -6 to start but if we can get the offense going I think we can take this one into the 4th quarter and then who knows
Last edited by azcat49 on Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Sid

Post by Sid »

ASUHATER! wrote:
Sid wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:

Thanks.
why?

Did you see the rest of the stadium? Wasn't any different
You're right, the late start didn't help either. My bad.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Just hoping UA doesn't get embarrassed. This game is like one of those semesters where halfway through you just hope you pass all your classes even it means a 2.0.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

I'm going to blame the uniforms!
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

If this game wasn't a home game, I would think they would lose, but it's a home game and Washington's first time on the road. I think they have a chance but will have to come out strong.
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

Irish27 wrote:If this game wasn't a home game, I would think they would lose, but it's a home game and Washington's first time on the road. I think they have a chance but will have to come out strong.
I'm hoping the team has an ounce of pride and wants to repay the Huskies for the ass kicking they gave us last year. Not to mention Yates going against his old boss and coach
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

The Taylor/TJ combination is interesting. I hope RR works with this a bit more.

Watching the replay right now. That Dawkins pass to Brown while rolling left was a thing of beauty.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Dawkins is finding his arm and connection w/ the WR now that he's getting first team reps.

Honestly I don't see anything about anu's arm that would indicate he should start.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

I am going to be at the game live, first game since USC in 2014. I think a bloodbath though we always get one upset at home it seems like. I don't think its possible with our defense though in this game
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

If Anu couldn't even stand up with his teammates during the Hawaii game why would he be able to even run effectively against UDub a week later?

It's Dawkins all the way.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I hate being that bad fan who talks shit about 20 year old kids who go out and bust their asses and destroy their bodies for my entertainment, but you have to go with the guy who gives you the best chance to win. And that guy is Dawkins...
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

I was wondering why Solomon was sitting in a corner by himself not talking to anyone the whole game.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Sid

Post by Sid »

ASUHATER! wrote:I was wondering why Solomon was sitting in a corner by himself not talking to anyone the whole game.
Watched it again yesterday and when they cut to Dawkins talking to Anu over in the corner Anu is not even making eye contact with Dawkins. The blank stare is very telling....
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

If that is how Anu Solomon responds to being started over, he won't play quarterback again for this team unless Dawkins gets hurt.

Sheesh. Such non-competitiveness at a Division I football program.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Sid wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:I was wondering why Solomon was sitting in a corner by himself not talking to anyone the whole game.
Watched it again yesterday and when they cut to Dawkins talking to Anu over in the corner Anu is not even making eye contact with Dawkins. The blank stare is very telling....
I thought that showed a lot of leadership by Dawkins going over there and seeking Solomon out. Just by looks, it looked like one was acting the adult and one was acting the child. Did the doctor tell Solomon he had to sit down? Really don't know. But even if he did, no way he will be physically ready for UW if he can't even stand without hurting himself more. If Anu was just being a spoiled brat sulking, then that's even worse.

The last 1/2 QBs that actually seemed to like each other were Keith Smith and Ortege Jenkins.

I remember reading an interview with Steve Young of the 49ers years ago. He asked if he and Joe Montana were friends and talked. Young say no, they were 2 really competitive guys fighting each other for the same position.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

We need to start fast and hold on for dear life. Swarming team tackling and maybe some lucky turnovers. They will score, we just needs to score more and it seems like BD can put up some numbers. Dawkins gets the start. He found his arm, at least for the short and mid-range. Game will be tough, we most likely will lose, but a win is possible. Love to see what this offense can do if we can get JJ and TJ in space with the ball.
Sid

Post by Sid »

UALoco wrote:We need to start fast and hold on for dear life. Swarming team tackling and maybe some lucky turnovers. They will score, we just needs to score more and it seems like BD can put up some numbers. Dawkins gets the start. He found his arm, at least for the short and mid-range. Game will be tough, we most likely will lose, but a win is possible. Love to see what this offense can do if we can get JJ and TJ in space with the ball.
Exactly. Score a ton and hope for a couple lucky breaks on defense. Like others have said, more practice reps for Dawkins & more familiarity with our receivers will be a beautiful thing. JJ getting more reps as the #1 back is downright scary.... :shock:
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

I'm seeing this at 48-28 UW. Dawkins will be facing a much tougher defense than he's seen yet and I think Browning kills the defense on play action. There will be spots where the offense moves the ball. I think UW has a little too much at this point. I would LOVE to be proven wrong.

One thing that's been mentioned is that Arizona needs a little luck. That's something they haven't had much of last season (well, they had a lot of luck, but it was almost all bad) and they're due for that pendulum to swing. You get something like one of the young corners jumping a route and getting a pick-six, or a muffed punt by UW... anything can happen.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

should've had dick tomey talk the team through the '92 game against udub while he was in town over the weekend :D
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Lined open at UW -10, now at -9.5.

UA's defense line is undersized and UDub passes for 280 yards a game in blowouts. Look for Browning to go for 400 yards against the UA if the UA continues getting some offense going to keep the game close.

I think Penguin is right,UDub by 20.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Merkin wrote:Lined open at UW -10, now at -9.5.

UA's defense line is undersized and UDub passes for 280 yards a game in blowouts. Look for Browning to go for 400 yards against the UA if the UA continues getting some offense going to keep the game close.

I think Penguin is right,UDub by 20.
What about the second half?
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

Merkin wrote:
Sid wrote:
I thought that showed a lot of leadership by Dawkins going over there and seeking Solomon out. Just by looks, it looked like one was acting the adult and one was acting the child. Did the doctor tell Solomon he had to sit down? Really don't know. But even if he did, no way he will be physically ready for UW if he can't even stand without hurting himself more. If Anu was just being a spoiled brat sulking, then that's even worse.

The last 1/2 QBs that actually seemed to like each other were Keith Smith and Ortege Jenkins.

I remember reading an interview with Steve Young of the 49ers years ago. He asked if he and Joe Montana were friends and talked. Young say no, they were 2 really competitive guys fighting each other for the same position.

You guys are being a little rough on Anu. This guy took us to the Pac 12 South championship as a redshirt freshman. He's a competitor and will be back at some point. You guys take a very few instances of a sideline camera shot and want to throw him to the dogs. He was probably sitting because standing for a couple of hours on his leg isn't good for his recovery. Here's hoping we have a recovered Anu at his best and a Dawkins hitting his stride also. Two ready and able QBs is a good thing.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
cats101

Post by cats101 »

Arizona is outmatch physically here.

The CATS will need more than a bit of luck it had in 2014 to win this game.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Everything says loss.

But I have been in that stadium too many times when a clear paper loss turned into a win, usually around 11pm local time.

So I don't know. I am just going to go, cheer, and hope.
gumby

Post by gumby »

dmjcat wrote:Time to hide the women and children. We have given up more than 400 yards the past two weeks to Hawaii and Grambling freaking State. How much yardage are the Huskies going to hang on us? 600? 700?? Its not going to be pretty.

Here is the most telling statistic (Size of the two defensive lines)

UA:

6-1 247
6-1 271
6-2 247

Washington

6-5 332
6-1 321
6-2 318
6-2 255

This will be yet another game where RRod finds out that Real football players >>>>> Walk Ons & OKG's
For all of the talk (and talk and talk) about the QB situation, this is the real problem (for several seasons running).

We get whipped at the line of scrimmage, which can make the QB situation look worse than it really is.

Until we shore that up, it won't matter who takes the snaps.

I'll be moving my son back into his dorm this Saturday, and probably congratulating him on the 4-0 start.
Right where I want to be.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

carcassdragger wrote:ys are being a little rough on Anu. This guy took us to the Pac 12 South championship as a redshirt freshman. He's a competitor and will be back at some point. You guys take a very few instances of a sideline camera shot and want to throw him to the dogs. He was probably sitting because standing for a couple of hours on his leg isn't good for his recovery. Here's hoping we have a recovered Anu at his best and a Dawkins hitting his stride also. Two ready and able QBs is a good thing.
Also hoping for a complete recovery for Solomon. One point I was trying to make is that if he couldn't physically stand on the sideline due to his knee injury, how can there be any of discussion on whether Solomon or Dawkins should start v. Udub? I doubt Anu will even dress again for that game.

Secondly, a redshirt freshman Solomon was not afraid to run the ball at all. RS Junior Solomon, dealing with concussion and other injury issues, now no longer is a running threat and defenses can now plan accordingly.

I hope RichRod doesn't play the loyalty to upperclassmen game like Dick Tomey did. Just put the best QB out there, period.

If UDub does give the UA a beatdown as expected, I hope RichRod does pull Dawkins and let Zerwinger get some snaps. Same with if Nick Wilson is back. Best to avoid any more injuries, esp. to Dawkins.

Uh oh
Purplehaze206

Post by Purplehaze206 »

This is an active Cats forum, others seem so dead. Husky fan here, looking forward to start the PAC season. #GoDawgs
card4evermore wrote:
I'd feel better about our chances if Romar was coaching the Dawgs.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

I am not sure if this is the worst U of A team since RR arrived but I am sure this Washington team isn't the best to play a game in Arizona Stadium. UA wins or keeps it close vs ranked teams with one exception under RR. I see a close one Saturday.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Purplehaze206 wrote:This is an active Cats forum, others seem so dead. Husky fan here, looking forward to start the PAC season. #GoDawgs

Welcome Haze! Looking for a good game, the Dawgs are going to be tough to beat.
Purplehaze206

Post by Purplehaze206 »

Has Griffey taken the next step yet? Still fond memories of his pops swinging the bat.

Our dawgs being ranked surprised us all (we didn't expect it at all). First time since Slick.
card4evermore wrote:
I'd feel better about our chances if Romar was coaching the Dawgs.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Purplehaze206 wrote:Has Griffey taken the next step yet? Still fond memories of his pops swinging the bat.

Our dawgs being ranked surprised us all (we didn't expect it at all). First time since Slick.
Good player for sure. Makes son good plays but not there every time yet. Some might be our QB issues though.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion