Stoops vs Rich Rod

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

TheBuffet

Stoops vs Rich Rod

Post by TheBuffet »

Rich = Better Coach
Stoops = Better Recruiter
Net Net = Team performance about the same...
azcat49

Re: Stoops vs Rich Rod

Post by azcat49 »

Stoops cared a lot more.
Stoops evaluated talent better
RR a lot more personable
RR kept his wife :)
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Tomey > Stoops and RR
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Alieberman wrote:Tomey > Stoops and RR

Yep
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

Rose Bowls
Stoops=0
RR=0
UALoco=0
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Alieberman wrote:Tomey > Stoops and RR

Early Tomey anyways. Tomey cruised the last few seasons and it was really time to go. Recruiting is extremely difficult work.

When RichRod gets fired, please, no more head coaches that have been prior fired (RR at UM), or coordinators without any HC experience (Stoops). Get an up and coming smaller school HC that still has passion.

Worked quite well with the basketball program, and the football program too with Larry Smith and Tomey.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

Their no comparison between Stoops or RR. It pointless.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Arizona hasn't had a good coach yet. One day though. Mediocrity has reigned for too long.
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

chiefzona wrote:Arizona hasn't had a good coach yet. One day though. Mediocrity has reigned for too long.
Perhaps somewhat less than mediocre. Over the past 20 years, using the Massey Composite Rankings, Arizona has ended up in the top third of the Pac-12 one time only (1998). It has been in the bottom third nine times and in the middle third ten times. Only Washington State has a worse overall ranking over that period of time.

There is always next year.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

chiefzona wrote:Arizona hasn't had a good coach yet. One day though. Mediocrity has reigned for too long.

I think Larry Smith was a good coach (best in my time as a fan) who may have been able to get to the promised land someday. Still pissed he went to a school in conference in the middle of the night after coming back from the bowl game. He managed to take your Trojans to a Rose Bowl.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

UAEebs86 wrote:

I think Larry Smith was a good coach (best in my time as a fan) who may have been able to get to the promised land someday. Still pissed he went to a school in conference in the middle of the night after coming back from the bowl game. He managed to take your Trojans to a Rose Bowl.

He took my Daddy's Trojans to a Rose Bowl. I don't think he was all that. He was no John Robinson, that's for sure.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

UAEebs86 wrote:

Smith was coach when I was a student. Only one losing season and that was 5-6. Finished with 6 straight winning seasons. And that was when you could play a Div IAA team once every 4 years to count for bowl eligibility.

Can you imagine RichRod taking on Notre Dame like Smith did? And beat them at home!

Believe Smith had a winning record against ASU too, unlike RichRod.
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

Merkin wrote:
UAEebs86 wrote:

Smith was coach when I was a student. Only one losing season and that was 5-6. Finished with 6 straight winning seasons. And that was when you could play a Div IAA team once every 4 years to count for bowl eligibility.

Can you imagine RichRod taking on Notre Dame like Smith did? And beat them at home!

I agree wholeheartedly about Larry Smith. A great coach and don't forget he came here with Arizona under the cloud of NCAA investigations and impending sanctions and he still won.
UAtrue

Post by UAtrue »

Merkin wrote:
UAEebs86 wrote:

But, man he had a boring offense that only occasionally had some spark (Danny White comes to mind). Well earned the nickname "Run it up the middle Tomey"
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

UAtrue wrote:
Merkin wrote:
UAEebs86 wrote:

But, man he had a boring offense that only occasionally had some spark (Danny White comes to mind). Well earned the nickname "Run it up the middle Tomey"
It beat our "innovative offense" & progressive "3-3-5 stack" D that went 3-9 last season... and has won conference games at a 40% clip.