6 Chuck Cecil

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

ANGCatFan

6 Chuck Cecil

Post by ANGCatFan »

Cecil came to Tucson in 1983 a 6-0, 148, walk-on safety from La Mesa, CA. He graduated 5 years later as the #2 player in Arizona Wildcat history (according to some guy named Anthony Gimino who I came across on the worldwide interwebs), the star of the greatest play in school history, and 1 of 2 players in school history to be a 3 time Academic All-American. Oh, and he also ended up in the College Football Hall of Fame. Not bad for a too skinny walk-on.

Here are some of excerpts from Gimino's article linked above:
Honors, accomplishments at UA: Consensus All-American in 1987. … Second-team All-American in 1986 by the Sporting News. … His 21 career interceptions rank first in school and Pac-12 history. … Pac-10 Defensive Player of the Year in 1987. … Two-time first-team all-conference selection and a second-team pick as a sophomore. … Elected to the College Football Hall of Fame in 2009.

His senior season — 136 tackles, nine interceptions, 12 pass break-ups — hardly could have been better.

His story line was as good as his stats. Belying the violence of his hits, he was a self-described “geeky student” who wanted to go Stanford. But when the Cardinal declined to offer a scholarship late in the recruiting process, Cecil turned to UA, which had run out of full rides. So, Cecil walked on, weighing 148 pounds.

Cecil became a rock star in Tucson, known as the “Heat-Seeking Missile.” He moved into the starting lineup as a redshirt sophomore in 1985, when he had already become “the heart” of the defense, coach Larry Smith said at the time.

Cecil polished his legacy with his performances against Arizona State. He clinched the 1985 win with an interception in the final minute. He forced a fumble at the UA 1-yard line to halt an ASU first-quarter drive and had the epic interception return in the 1986 victory. He intercepted a pass late in the first half that led to a field goal and recovered a muffed punt snap with 13 seconds left to set up the tying field goal in 1987.

“When a lot of people think of Arizona football and they think about excellence, they think of Chuck Cecil,” said Dick Tomey, who coached Cecil during his senior season.

Duane Akina, UA’s secondary coach in 1987, has coached three Jim Thorpe Award winners and 28 defensive backs who played in the NFL. He said this about Cecil in 2009:

“I would say Chuck had the most dynamic personality of anybody I’ve coached. He probably affected his teammates more than any player I’ve had. That is true leadership. I have never coached another like him who could carry the classroom to the field and who was so damn tough.”

Cecil perfected his vicious, hard hitting style once he got to the NFL. People noticed! He played 8 years in the NFL primarily for Green Bay where he was an All-Pro in 1992. He finished his career with 16 interceptions and an undetermined number of players who can't remember when Cecil hit them. But every Wildcat fan remembers (or has been told about) Cecil's most famous play.

Now Chuck is back! Chuck Cecil is officially the team's Senior Defensive Analyst. Because he is not one of the NCAA listed coaches he has strict limits on player interaction and recruiting, but what he can do (according to his bio) is, "assisting Rodriguez and the defensive staff in areas of overall organization, scouting, film breakdown, analysis and other game preparation responsibilities." Cecil has also picked up Dudek's mantel of being the most prolific and energetic tweeter on the staff.

6 is the number of TD passes Washington St. had against us last year. Chuck is not going to be happy when he analyzes that film.

Last edited by ANGCatFan on Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
MrMeow

Re: 6 Chuck Cecil

Post by MrMeow »

Correction:

Although Chuck was born in Red Bluff, he played football and graduated from Helix High School in La Mesa, Ca., just east of and adjacent to San Diego.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

My neighbor Eric when I lived in San Luis Obispo grew up with Chuck in Hanford. Chuck came out to visit him Eric one time. Since Eric knew I was a UA fan, he brought him over. Chuck was a super nice guy and very unassuming.

Hopefully when this staff gets let go, Chuck can somehow remain at Arizona on some level, even as a position coach.
Sid

Post by Sid »

Merkin wrote:My neighbor Eric when I lived in San Luis Obispo grew up with Chuck in Hanford. Chuck came out to visit him Eric one time. Since Eric knew I was a UA fan, he brought him over. Chuck was a super nice guy and very unassuming.

Hopefully when this staff gets let go, Chuck can somehow remain at Arizona on some level, even as a position coach.
Really? "Hopefully when the staff gets let go?"

A week away from ball and this is what you post? Wow!

You know what, you doom & gloom non fans of Arizona football can fucking blow me!

Pathetic
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Sid wrote:
Merkin wrote:My neighbor Eric when I lived in San Luis Obispo grew up with Chuck in Hanford. Chuck came out to visit him Eric one time. Since Eric knew I was a UA fan, he brought him over. Chuck was a super nice guy and very unassuming.

A week away from ball and this is what you post? Wow!

You know what, you doom & gloom non fans of Arizona football can fucking blow me!

Pathetic
A week away from ball and this is what you post?

You Kool aid drinking sunshine from your ass oblivious to the truth fans of Arizona football can fucking blow me!

Pathetic

Odds are the coaching staff won't be here within 5 months. We have no talent and RR threw in the towel a while back. It's time to start looking towards the future and hopeful improvement of the program. That's what real fans do. They don't try to lie to themselves that everything is hunky dory.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Well in general, its inevitable that almost every staff eventually gets let go. The slope is steep for this staff for sure
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Sid wrote:
Merkin wrote: Hopefully when this staff gets let go, Chuck can somehow remain at Arizona on some level, even as a position coach.
Why did you cut off my sentence? English is a funny language.

Let me try again:

Hopefully Cecil is retained, when the staff is let go.

No one is hoping the staff is let go. We all want the Cats to win, but it's not going to happen. You can't take it easy on recruiting when your program is in a slide. If Cats go 6-6 with a crappy bowl game, I would be ecstatic. Just don't see it. There is a reason the Cats are picked to finish at the bottom of the Pac South.

UA has no passing attack, the only positions which are up to upper half PAC-12 standards are RBs and DBs, perhaps OL too. No experience at all at LB at least to open the season, DL is undersized, QBs can't pass, and the offense is extremely predictable.
Sid

Post by Sid »

Merkin wrote:
Sid wrote:
Merkin wrote: Hopefully when this staff gets let go, Chuck can somehow remain at Arizona on some level, even as a position coach.

Let me try again:

No one is hoping the staff is let go. We all want the Cats to win, but it's not going to happen. You can't take it easy on recruiting when your program is in a slide. If Cats go 6-6 with a crappy bowl game, I would be ecstatic. Just don't see it. There is a reason the Cats are picked to finish at the bottom of the Pac South.

UA has no passing attack, the only positions which are up to upper half PAC-12 standards are RBs and DBs, perhaps OL too. No experience at all at LB at least to open the season, DL is undersized, QBs can't pass, and the offense is extremely predictable.
Sorry I shortened your sentence. A lot to digest, but I will give this a go. Regarding the passing attack, I'm not concerned because the road map was written with BJ. Dink & dunk whatever it fucking takes to move the chains. DL is a huge glaring weakness, I agree! Also agree with your statement regarding the inexperience at LB. I like the young talent we have and everyone that I've talked with has stated that Collin is a absolute beast, keep in mind he played both ways in HS. A blessing for us because had he just played LB he would be at SC right now! Back to the offense, if one player stays healthy all season we have a shot in every game, except SC. The kid will always be one play away from igniting a huge momentum turn! The Wildcard is Chuck. We agree we have our challenges on defense, but if we can suit up a bunch of kids ready to play balls out (Chucky Style) I feel this will be a much improved defense even with the noted concerns. This defense will come ready to play, coach Yates and Chuck will make sure of that! I'm excited...
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Ricky Hunley is out of work. Love to have him come back and help the LBs. Dude only played and coached in the NFL.

With Singletary and Cecil back, love to see some of these old legacy guys helping out the program. And as an "analyst" they don't get to or have to recruit.
Sid

Post by Sid »

Merkin wrote:Ricky Hunley is out of work. Love to have him come back and help the LBs. Dude only played and coached in the NFL.

With Singletary and Cecil back, love to see some of these old legacy guys helping out the program. And as an "analyst" they don't get to or have to recruit.
I would be over the moon if that happens! Love it....
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

Sid wrote:
Merkin wrote:
Sid wrote:

Let me try again:

Sorry I shortened your sentence. A lot to digest, but I will give this a go. Regarding the passing attack, I'm not concerned because the road map was written with BJ. Dink & dunk whatever it fucking takes to move the chains. DL is a huge glaring weakness, I agree! Also agree with your statement regarding the inexperience at LB. I like the young talent we have and everyone that I've talked with has stated that Collin is a absolute beast, keep in mind he played both ways in HS. A blessing for us because had he just played LB he would be at SC right now! Back to the offense, if one player stays healthy all season we have a shot in every game, except SC. The kid will always be one play away from igniting a huge momentum turn! The Wildcard is Chuck. We agree we have our challenges on defense, but if we can suit up a bunch of kids ready to play balls out (Chucky Style) I feel this will be a much improved defense even with the noted concerns. This defense will come ready to play, coach Yates and Chuck will make sure of that! I'm excited...

Sid I agreed with every word you said. Yes everyone is concerned that there are four RS freshmen or true freshmen starting on defense. From what I understand all four are immensely more talented than the people they are replacing with the exception of the one junior that's injured. I understand he'll be back in a week or so. I'm excited about the possibilities this season and will remain so until they show me they aren't worth being excited about.
UAtrue

Post by UAtrue »

ANG.

Great post. I remember that play very well. Awesome game.

Thanks for keeping up this tradition of yours of "introducing" the players.

The video in your post was pretty fuzzy so here is the Youtube link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ip9Lmyo72Wg" target="_blank