Credit Where Credit is Due

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

97cats

Credit Where Credit is Due

Post by 97cats »

ive been critical of RR and the football program in general, but Arizona has far exceeded my expectations this season.

and while I've championed that moral victories are for losers, it's important (IMO) to acknowledge what has been a spectacular run and what has been accomplished -- such as so late then never.

like him of not, RR has earned a solid right to another season of Tate at Arizona.

i thought there was zero chance for me this year, but im proud of Arizona Football and what the immediate future holds at this point.

expectations exceeded and crow officially eaten on my behalf.

no laying eggs, RR from here on out...ya dig??
Alieberman

Re: Credit Where Credit is Due

Post by Alieberman »

Totally agree.

Team is playing hard.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Amen
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

On board.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
cats101

Post by cats101 »

Agree. Just sucks to see the talent discpency between the two programs. Any beef on the DL and the game plan changes for the toejams
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

97cats wrote:ive been critical of RR and the football program in general, but Arizona has far exceeded my expectations this season.

and while I've championed that moral victories are for losers, it's important (IMO) to acknowledge what has been a spectacular run and what has been accomplished -- such as so late then never.

like him of not, RR has earned a solid right to another season of Tate at Arizona.

i thought there was zero chance for me this year, but im proud of Arizona Football and what the immediate future holds at this point.

^^^ Exactly what he said.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Fair enough
qwertyus

Post by qwertyus »

I don't want to get too far ahead, but...

Who do we lose after this year? I feel like we lose our starting 5 Linemen, but maybe there's a Jr in there. We lose Wood (TE), Tyrell Johnson (WR) Wilson, Green (RB's), Pollack (K), Bruno (DL), and that's it? Who am I forgetting? Flanagan-Fowles was, I heard, highly-rated, but he's not coming out to try and get drafted, right?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

According to the most recent depth chart I see we return 9 on defense and 6 on offense. Only 2 offensive linemen from graduation.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Year 6.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

chiefzona wrote:Year 6.
Heisman hype, 4-2 in conference and should be 5-1, beat UCLA, beat ranked team at home, tied with USC on the road on their homecoming late in the 4th, likely favored in final three games, yeah year 6 is looking awesome
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

PHXCATS wrote:
Heisman hype, 4-2 in conference and should be 5-1, beat UCLA, beat ranked team at home, tied with USC on the road on their homecoming late in the 4th, likely favored in final three games, yeah year 6 is looking awesome
Hoping and praying for maybe 7-8 wins, barely top 50-60 recruiting class, awful defense that can't compete with anyone in conference. Definitely not anywhere near where we should be in year 6.

ALASKACAT

Post by ALASKACAT »

qwertyus wrote:I don't want to get too far ahead, but...

Who do we lose after this year? I feel like we lose our starting 5 Linemen, but maybe there's a Jr in there. We lose Wood (TE), Tyrell Johnson (WR) Wilson, Green (RB's), Pollack (K), Bruno (DL), and that's it? Who am I forgetting? Flanagan-Fowles was, I heard, highly-rated, but he's not coming out to try and get drafted, right?
Wood and Pollack are juniors. Surprisingly "Pork Chop" is only a junior. (At 275 seems like he should be a defensive lineman.) Surprised to see Zach Benjamin is a senior. I remember RichRod saying we could of used him last year at wide out but wasn't eligible and this year he doesn't see the field? Perhaps he is redshirting or not that good?

http://www.espn.com/college-football/te ... a-wildcats" target="_blank
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

97cats wrote:ive been critical of RR and the football program in general, but Arizona has far exceeded my expectations this season.

Great thoughts, and ones I think many people share.

I’ll give credit to RR because I went from “could not care less” to “up at 2:00am for the last whistle of a two score loss”. I’ve posted before about losing the diehard Arizona sports fan, but this one is very happy to be back loving this football team.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

ASUHATER! wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
Hoping and praying for maybe 7-8 wins, barely top 50-60 recruiting class, awful defense that can't compete with anyone in conference. Definitely not anywhere near where we should be in year 6.
You need to try medical marijuana bro. You’re a fucking miserable human being. Lighten up Francis
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

whatisee wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
You need to try medical marijuana bro. You’re a fucking miserable human being. Lighten up Francis
I'm not at all. I'm simply a realistic, level headed, and honest fan. No fan of any team in football should be happy with where we are currently in year 6 of a regime.

Rick Kane

Post by Rick Kane »

ASUHATER! wrote:
whatisee wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
I'm not at all. I'm simply a realistic, level headed, and honest fan. No fan of any team in football should be happy with where we are currently in year 6 of a regime.
Hey ASULOVER! just leave. Football program does not need "Fans" like you. I bet you do not even go to games, don't even donate to the Wildcat Club, and do nothing to help the program but just sit their and complain.

How any U of A fan could be upset at the state of our program right now is beyond me. We just played our asses off against a team that has superior talent at literally every single position. I was at the game and was so proud of how we came back and fought. Our defense is not ready yet but honestly what defense in the PAC 12 can stop USC? WSU I guess but we made that defense look stupid.

I had close seats to our sideline and I saw Tate rallying our team like few U of A QB's before. The players truly love Tate and his grit and fight.

Sure, I wish we won but the only expectation I ever have for my Arizona Wildcats is they play hard. Sports like Life does not always work out the way you want it to. But if we play hard, I am always proud.

That U of A team left it all on the field last night.

I bet you next year, we beat USC at home.

Its November and U of A still has a lot to play for with a very young team that has played hard all year...If you can not be proud of that just leave. We do not need you. We need real fans who support the program in good times and bad.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

6-3, who would have called that? Like Chicat said, made me stay up last night and watch the game.

Nice adjustment too by RichRod, to ditch the zone read and call more actual plays.
qwertyus wrote: Who do we lose after this year? I feel like we lose our starting 5 Linemen, but maybe there's a Jr in there. We lose Wood (TE), Tyrell Johnson (WR) Wilson, Green (RB's), Pollack (K), Bruno (DL), and that's it?
If that's all the Cats are losing, that's a pretty good lot to let go. They are either injured constantly (Wilson, Wood), underwhelming (Johnson, Pollack) or underused (Green). Cats will miss Bruno's size, but he only has one sack this year, and got it last night.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

ASUHATER! wrote:
whatisee wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
You don't go to the games so stop it. Don't tell us what is realistic when you hold the program back.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Again a guy with a real shot at the Heisman next year. Played tough and was tied in the middle of the fourth vs a team picked by many to win the title or at least get to the CFP. Beat down UCLA. Beat Down a ranked WSU team. Two road conference wins. A defense that has greatly improved and is young and played well on a per play basis all year except last night. A team that should be 5-1 in conference. Will likely be favored in the final three games or be a dog by less that a fg. I am very proud of where this team is and is going, especially with all the things working against U of A and what happened last year.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

The people who think they get to determine who are the good and bad fans are the true cancerous assholes.

And again, I hope we get to see Tate in as many games as possible before he is gone.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Yep. It’s year 6. Nobody is denying that. We have 2 more years of Tate and 3 more years of that huge group of freshmen to keep getting better.

There’s hope now when there wasn’t a month ago. Years 7 and 8 will be even better.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Merkin wrote:6-3, who would have called that?
Not me. I was solidly in the 3-9/4-8 camp. Happy to be wrong.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

Only one more year? Ok. Nice post.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Yes. One more year. Though in the cult of the mediocre that permeates Arizona football winning 7 games a year on average is a dream come true and warrants a lifetime contract.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

I think the UofA is lucky to have RR. For all the haters, please tell me one coach who would come to Arizona and if he was successful, would not use the UofA as a stepping stone? RR almost left but I think what has transpired, he is not looking to go anywhere. His success the first five years matches any past coach.

I remember so many people wanted Tomey out after losing to asu in 2000. Look what happened after they fired him. Mackovic basically decimated the program and Stoops did an admirable job for what he inherited. RR has this team going to his 5th bowl game and with so many underclassmen playing, the future is not so gloomy like some of the haters want us to believe.
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
Macho Grande

Post by Macho Grande »

Rick Kane wrote:
Hey ASULOVER! just leave. Football program does not need "Fans" like you. I bet you do not even go to games, don't even donate to the Wildcat Club, and do nothing to help the program but just sit their and complain.

How any U of A fan could be upset at the state of our program right now is beyond me. We just played our asses off against a team that has superior talent at literally every single position. I was at the game and was so proud of how we came back and fought. Our defense is not ready yet but honestly what defense in the PAC 12 can stop USC? WSU I guess but we made that defense look stupid.

I had close seats to our sideline and I saw Tate rallying our team like few U of A QB's before. The players truly love Tate and his grit and fight.

Sure, I wish we won but the only expectation I ever have for my Arizona Wildcats is they play hard. Sports like Life does not always work out the way you want it to. But if we play hard, I am always proud.

That U of A team left it all on the field last night.

I bet you next year, we beat USC at home.

Its November and U of A still has a lot to play for with a very young team that has played hard all year...If you can not be proud of that just leave. We do not need you. We need real fans who support the program in good times and bad.

Silence. The "level headed" know-it-all has spoken. We shouldn't be happy and that's that. I always figured that following a football team without finding reasons to get enjoyment and happiness out of it was kinda pointless and stupid, but apparently I was wrong. Image
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

The "who else would we hire" meme is such a cop out. So we should just accept having 3-8 wins for eternity just because we're afraid to make a move? Reasoning like that is why Arizona is the definition of mediocrity.

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

UALoco wrote:Only one more year? Ok. Nice post.
Gotta show consistent improvement both on the field and in recruiting. We can’t get into a pattern of one good year out of nowhere followed by a bunch of mediocre to poor seasons.

If we take a step back next year, the leash goes back to being very short.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Chicat wrote:
UALoco wrote:Only one more year? Ok. Nice post.
Gotta show consistent improvement both on the field and in recruiting. We can’t get into a pattern of one good year out of nowhere followed by a bunch of mediocre to poor seasons.

If we take a step back next year, the leash goes back to being very short.
This. RR has earned another season, possibly even the full season next year. But if we don't win 8+ regular season games, or if we are noticeably worse (still hard to be worse than we are currently on defense or recruiting) then he has to go as he will have unequivocally shown in 7 years that he just simply cannot take us where we want to go.

You just can't reconcile keeping RR as coach when you look at his entire resume from top to bottom. Averaging just over 7 wins a season, awful defenses that cost us games year after year after year and mediocre to terrible recruiting and talent depth on the roster.

Have there been great moments like the wins over Oregon and the ASU game in 2014 and the run with Tate? Absolutely, but those pale in comparison to the abject failures elsewhere.

Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Tate with a new head coach would be a very very bad idea.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I don't think anyone is calling for RichRod's head next season any more. Give him one more year.

Since Tate is a sophomore, he may be here only one more year anyway.

Sure hate to be a HC the following year without Tate.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

It is a very interesting year. I was in the 3-9 camp and believe we would still be trying to get that 3rd win if Tate wasn’t around. At the same time, I could easily see Arizona with only one loss if Tate started the season. It’s crazy how big a difference Tate has become.

I agree with 97. I was not interested in watching Arizona football at all before the Colorado game, no I am very interested in watching games. So RR gets another year to follow up. But as Chicat said, the leash can get short quickly.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Alieberman wrote:Tate with a new head coach would be a very very bad idea.
Agree
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Merkin wrote:I don't think anyone is calling for RichRod's head next season any more. Give him one more year.

Doubly agree
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

ASUHATER! wrote:The "who else would we hire" meme is such a cop out. So we should just accept having 3-8 wins for eternity just because we're afraid to make a move? Reasoning like that is why Arizona is the definition of mediocrity.
You realize that this is a ridiculous statement? Three years ago we won 10 games and played in a the Fiesta Bowl. Three years does not an eternity make, ‘Hater.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Can you believe we have a very real shot at 9-3 and a decent bowl?

Such a turn around from where we thought we'd be at this time.

That's all Tate and a team fighting hard in his corner.

RR earned his next year and hopeful he can keep the recruiting strong to. Capitalize on this year. He's does that and maintains this level of play, he's good in my book.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Puerco wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:The "who else would we hire" meme is such a cop out. So we should just accept having 3-8 wins for eternity just because we're afraid to make a move? Reasoning like that is why Arizona is the definition of mediocrity.
You realize that this is a ridiculous statement? Three years ago we won 10 games and played in a the Fiesta Bowl. Three years does not an eternity make, ‘Hater.
Ah yes, we have all those 10+ win seasons and championships to fall back on as AZ fans. I forgot.

3 times in 100+ years does an eternity make.
Sid

Post by Sid »

ASUHATER! wrote:
whatisee wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
Funny stuff. When we tied it up you could hear a pin drop in that coliseum. That crib was still fucking packed to the gills too! Maybe some of Haters ilk were sitting near us because shortly after they we're all ready to riot on Helton, F-bombs galore, he's a F'ing Kiffen holdover type stuff, pretty funny....

Hater, we stayed until the bitter end and I can't ever remember having fans chatting me up on our way up to the tunnel telling me how fucking great our quarterback is? Seriously, I'm at every sc game when Arizona plays and it's never happened. Cheer the fuck up, we're in year (6) and late in the 4th probably 80% of the fans in that coliseum thought sc was going to lose. We had a shot and came up short, but with Tate we will always have a chance to win so, again...cheer the fuck up!
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

One year of 3 wins. If schools fired coaches for one bad year, there would be a lot of unemployed coaches. Tomey would of been fired before the Desert Swarm years. It's so easy to say get rid of the coach, especially when you're not going to put up the money.

RR is a good coach and the UofA is lucky to have him. This program is not a football powerhouse, so enjoy the wins. I would never root for the Wildcats to lose just so it looks bad for the coach's future. I will always support any Wildcat team, no matter how bad they are.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

Merkin wrote:I don't think anyone is calling for RichRod's head next season any more. Give him one more year.

I highly doubt Tate would leave after next year. He has so much room for improvement with his throwing. NFL teams would probably want him to switch to running back. Plus, he just turned 19.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Give RR a good dual threat zone read qb and he could win 7-8 games consistently, talent or defense doesn't matter. Every once in a while he'll win 9-10+, he'll win 3-5 games if he doesn't have the qb.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

CalStateTempe wrote:Can you believe we have a very real shot at 9-3 and a decent bowl?

Such a turn around from where we thought we'd be at this time.

That's all Tate and a team fighting hard in his corner.

RR earned his next year and hopeful he can keep the recruiting strong to. Capitalize on this year. He's does that and maintains this level of play, he's good in my book.
The "It's all Tate" mantra just irks me. Yes, we couldn't do this without Tate and he is a special, special player... one like we will probably never see here again.

But... take a second look at his long runs. Watch the WR's and TE's blocking for him way down the field. Hell... our tiny RB got a targeting call for blocking for Tate about 20 seconds after the play started. This is not purely instinctual.... you have to give some credit to RichRod.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Irish27 wrote:
One year of 3 wins. If schools fired coaches for one bad year, there would be a lot of unemployed coaches. Tomey would of been fired before the Desert Swarm years. It's so easy to say get rid of the coach, especially when you're not going to put up the money.

RR is a good coach and the UofA is lucky to have him. This program is not a football powerhouse, so enjoy the wins. I would never root for the Wildcats to lose just so it looks bad for the coach's future. I will always support any Wildcat team, no matter how bad they are.
..I'm not doing any different? I've been very vocal in my support for the team I have never in my 15 years of fandom rooted for us to lose a game. No idea where that is coming from.

And again the "This program is not a football powerhouse, so enjoy the wins" is such cop out loser talk. We could do that...or we could actually try to improve and become a better program. I, unlike you apparently, support the growth and betterment of the program and not just continuing its mediocrity.

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

RichRod certainly deserves credit, but so does Tate, he just seems to fire up the whole team.
Irish27 wrote: I highly doubt Tate would leave after next year. He has so much room for improvement with his throwing. NFL teams would probably want him to switch to running back. Plus, he just turned 19.
That is true, good point. Tate's long ball was pretty much way off yesterday, none were really that close.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

ASUHATER! wrote:
Irish27 wrote:

..I'm not doing any different? I've been very vocal in my support for the team I have never in my 15 years of fandom rooted for us to lose a game. No idea where that is coming from.

And again the "This program is not a football powerhouse, so enjoy the wins" is such cop out loser talk. We could do that...or we could actually try to improve and become a better program. I, unlike you apparently, support the growth and betterment of the program and not just continuing its mediocrity.
No you dont. You don't go to the games when you can so you are not helping the program.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

PHXCATS wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:
Irish27 wrote:

No you dont. You don't go to the games when you can so you are not helping the program.
I have been to a good 40+ Arizona home games. I don't have the time or resources to go to every home game. Hell I was out of town for 2 of our home games this year and still went to one.

So in your ever so humble opinion, all fans that don't go to every game are bad fans? I'd love to hear your reasoning for that. Also, the athletic department has to earn our loyalty as fans, not the other way around.

Disambiguator

Post by Disambiguator »

ASUHATER! wrote:
So in your ever so humble opinion, all fans that don't go to every game are bad fans? I'd love to hear your reasoning for that. Also, the athletic department has to earn our loyalty as fans, not the other way around.
I don't post much, but I read every post here on the football board. In my experience, it is not even your lack of attendance that makes you, your brother, and a few others shit fans. It is the INCESSANT, ANNOYING, pessimistic drum you beat and the arrogant, know-it-all, petulant attitude that you exude. RR, the team, this board, and the world at large deserve wayyyyy more than your never-ending, snarky ignorance. Give that shit a rest, Eeyore!
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

I never said the word or term "bad" or "bad fan" so you must either being misreading or sensitive about something or both.

You can be a fan, a great fan, a huge fan and not go to games. Everyone has reasons that they can't go or reasons why going isn't ideal for them. Does not make them better or worse fans or people.

So let's make sure that is perfectly clear.

Now we must also get to the point where we realize that college sports and pro sports are different. College needs financial support and butts in the seats all the time. For recruiting, for tv rights, for kickoff times, for financing the team's budget and projects as well as the other non revenue sports.

Pro sports don't have the same things going on so it is a lot different.

What U of A needs to get to the next level is support to go forward with projects and help recruiting and many other things.

You can be a fan and not a supporter and that's fine. But supporters are needed and the supporters are the ones that should have their opinions weighed by the AD.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

RR has to take responsibility for the recruiting. He let Casteel slack off. I think he also was lax in his own recruiting. It's a lot harder to recruit to AZ than Michigan or WV.

That being said, I think he has identified the mistakes and has made adjustments to correct them going forward.