Arizona Coaching Search

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Harvey Specter

Re: Arizona Coaching Search

Post by Harvey Specter »

prh wrote:
Chicat wrote: I hate to break it to Demetrius, but the opinions of fans, media, AND players don’t really matter a whole hell of a lot in this situation.
:lol: :lol: :lol: that's amazing. This is just like hearing your teenage kids who think they know what's good for them better than their parents do. I'll keep saying it, guys don't want to lose their spot or get recruited over if we actually have a capable recruiter come in.
There is a reason there is a kids' table at Holiday dinners...
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

TheGreatCatsby wrote:I still like the hire of a no-name younger 35ish guy, willing to work his ass off 100 hours a week to prove himself, tirelessly recruit and learn the names of every kid playing high school football west of the Mississippi, and know their favorite color too. Someone more in the Sean McVay type of hire.

Who cares if first year it ignites no fan excitement? We're moribund right now anyway. Give the new guy a chance to grow into the role, and if the fans see something new and promising they'll get on board quick. U of A fans are pretty depressed about things about now that only a Final 4 or a promising young coaching hire will bring. So nice that we spent all that money building Lowell-Stevens so RR could spend all his time trolling for women in it vs worrying about coaching our team. Sure all the donors are very proud.

Hire a 50 yr old+ retread who's been fired before, we're right back here in 5 years canning his ass looking for another retread.
How about Jason Candle, head coach at Toledo? 38 years old, an offensive mind, and is known as a good recruiter. Toledo has improved every year under him, and he could be ready for a bigger opportunity.
3rdand25

Post by 3rdand25 »

Les Miles

In a conference of no defense, Arizona could establish an identity.
BMalo

Post by BMalo »

Hiring a retread doesn't guarantee they will fail.

Hiring a young "up-and-comer" doesn't guarantee they will succeed.

We need to a coach who can recruit, above all else. The Wildcats have been so piss poor at recruiting the last decade plus that we need someone who has a track record of getting solid players on campus. He also needs to excel in player development. For me, those are the only two things that matter most. Not what their previous record was, which conference they played in, who their coordinators were, how old they are.

Our program is in no position to obtain the cream of the crop- we can, however, make a hire that meets the above mentioned criteria while possibly salvaging any Heisman candidacy Tate has next year.

>Get a guy who can develop players
>Recruits well
>Profit
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

BMalo wrote:Hiring a retread doesn't guarantee they will fail.

Hiring a young "up-and-comer" doesn't guarantee they will succeed.

We need to a coach who can recruit, above all else. The Wildcats have been so piss poor at recruiting the last decade plus that we need someone who has a track record of getting solid players on campus. He also needs to excel in player development. For me, those are the only two things that matter most. Not what their previous record was, which conference they played in, who their coordinators were, how old they are.

Our program is in no position to obtain the cream of the crop- we can, however, make a hire that meets the above mentioned criteria while possibly salvaging any Heisman candidacy Tate has next year.

>Get a guy who can develop players
>Recruits well
>Profit
Completely agree. We desperately need more talent on the roster.
TheGreatCatsby

Post by TheGreatCatsby »

If not the genius young unknown assistant, who I think would be a great get would be Dino Babers out of Syracuse. He is possibly antsy/vulnerable since he's had 2 down years. Grew up in Cali, he can mold us a Jimmy Garoppolo like he did when he coached Eastern Illinois...then great success at Bowling Green...but then 2 down years at Syracuse (but he did beat Clemson this year. Watched that game, his D played real hard edge, and overall his team played smart. Then a few close losses then the wheels fell off.)

Wonder if he really has good enough east coast connections in a tough recruiting environment to have success at Syracuse, not a football school, so might be open the idea of moving back West. He coached here with us during that good 1995-2000 years where we had some good teams, 1998 especially. He also has good connections with Hawaii and Polynesia, maybe he can reopen the Samoan recruiting pipeline and actually use our geographical location to our advantage. Brandon Manumaleuna was pretty darn good for us. Willie Tuitama, others I'm forgetting...Dino be joining the big boys now in the PAC 12 south, everybody is retooling.
Last edited by TheGreatCatsby on Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:31 pm, edited 6 times in total.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

Formerly Lynx Rufus.
WildcatStunner

Post by WildcatStunner »

TheGreatCatsby wrote:If not the genius young unknown assistant, who I think would be a great get would be Dino Babers out of Syracuse. He is possibly antsy/vulnerable since he's had 2 down years. Grew up in Cali, he can mold us a Jimmy Garoppolo like he did when he coached Eastern Illinois...then great success at Bowling Green...but then 2 down years at Syracuse (but he did beat Clemson this year. Watched that game, his D played real hard edge, and overall his team played smart. Then a few close losses then the wheels fell off.)

Wonder if he really has good enough east coast connections in a tough recruiting environment to have success at Syracuse, not a football school, so might be open the idea of moving back West. He coached here with us during that good 1995-2000 years where we had some good teams, 1998 especially. He also has good connections with Hawaii and Polynesia, maybe he can reopen the Samoan recruiting pipeline and actually use our geographical location to our advantage. Brandon Manumaleuna was pretty darn good for us. Willie Tuitama, others I'm forgetting...Dino be joining the big boys now in the PAC 12 south, everybody is retooling.
I like Babers, but I don't know how the fans would feel about it.

I like Sumlin, Babers, and Hackett. Although I really do not know how realistic Hackett or any of the other guys are as options for Arizona.
AZarchery

Post by AZarchery »

Do we actually know they found dirt on norvell? Or are people taking what is said on tigerdroppings.com as fact? The 2 schools that I know were interested in Norvell were ole miss and Arkansas. He turned down ole miss because it’s a dumpster fire, and suddenly he’s linked to gambling?! Hmmmm? Then from what I can see, Norvell wanted the Arkansas job but Arkansas had already settled on Morris. Being the business man he is, Norvell used leverage for an extension on Dec 3, and 2 days later Morris is announced as head coach of Arkansas on Dec 5. That’s just my shitty detective work though.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

I think Arizona is in a good position to find a really solid head coach. Arizona doesn't have to compete with other schools and has some prime players and young team to groom with. I like some options, hate others, and scratch my head on the various "Hire a Alum" that others like to support. Of the fired coach variety, Sumlin is probably the top of the list. Of the coordinator variety, I would say Dave Aranda but he just signed a massive 4 year $10 mil guaranteed contract. I'm not sure if there is another coordinator that could be a realistic Arizona coach or worthy of becoming A Big-5 coach. Overall, I think I want to try the successful up-in-coming coach. Of this variety, I like Bryan Harsin. It probably a bit iffy that Harsin would leave Boise State for Arizona, but I like the idea of finding a successful mid-major coach. I'm not sold on Toldeo's Candle, UTSA Frank Wilson, and others seem to east coast to really tie in with west coast recruiting. Seth Littrell Could be an option but I have flash backs to the bubble screens every other play to be objective.

I do think that Tate can really excel on a none RPO based offense, and would like a coach to move away from it. But one of the most important aspects for me is that the Head Coach can recruit, cares about special teams, and doesn't micro-manage to hell.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

Heeke needs to be extremely smart and forward-looking with this hire. I know attendance is an issue, but a big name will immediately raise expectations and disappoint everyone if/when the wins don't come. The enthusiasm needs to build over time rather than peak early and fizzle out like under RR.

I'm willing to take a step back in order to leap forward. Jason Candle and Chris Klieman are my #1 and #2. I'm excited to see how this shakes out.
jimson

Post by jimson »

Here's how it looks to me.

Heeke obviously doesn't like RR. Doesn't like his demeanor on the sideline, doesn't like the results we are getting, doesn't like the empty stadium and doesn't like a coach who is a dick in press conferences.

Probably thinking he might have to fire him mid-season.

Chuck Cecil was not an RR hire but forced on him by Heeke probably at the behest of some boosters to get familiar with the situation as a possible mid season replacement.

RR knew it, didn't like it one bit, wouldn't let Cecil coach or be anywhere near him on the field.

Heeke lost his opportunity when RR started exceeding expectations for this year.

The late season slide helped, but this controversy really gave Heeke the cover he needed to justify firing a coach who had rebounded somewhat from a losing season last year.

Now, was Chuck Cecil really the fall back option? Was he ever and is he now a serious candidate? Did becoming the only P5 school with an opening lead to some new options?

Maybe just a crackpot theory I got here. We'll see.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Les Miles?
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

TatetheGreat wrote:Heeke needs to be extremely smart and forward-looking with this hire. I know attendance is an issue, but a big name will immediately raise expectations and disappoint everyone if/when the wins don't come. The enthusiasm needs to build over time rather than peak early and fizzle out like under RR.

I'm willing to take a step back in order to leap forward. Jason Candle and Chris Klieman are my #1 and #2. I'm excited to see how this shakes out.
The opportunity is there to win next year, put butts in the seats, and better recruits on our radar immediately. We don’t have to take a step back before taking steps forward because there is talent on this team. The next coach just needs to keep those that are talented in the fold and utilize them to their best abilities.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

AZarchery wrote:Do we actually know they found dirt on norvell? Or are people taking what is said on tigerdroppings.com as fact? The 2 schools that I know were interested in Norvell were ole miss and Arkansas. He turned down ole miss because it’s a dumpster fire, and suddenly he’s linked to gambling?! Hmmmm? Then from what I can see, Norvell wanted the Arkansas job but Arkansas had already settled on Morris. Being the business man he is, Norvell used leverage for an extension on Dec 3, and 2 days later Morris is announced as head coach of Arkansas on Dec 5. That’s just my shitty detective work though.
He had interest at Tenn as well. The background rumor is all a rumor at this point, but it's pretty widespread rumor. Gambling is what I've heard, and frankly, it doesn't really put me off. Most of the guys in discussions have some personal issues that generate rumors like Sumlin and drinking.

Norvell is the best objective coaching prospect, IMO.
AZarchery

Post by AZarchery »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
AZarchery wrote:Do we actually know they found dirt on norvell? Or are people taking what is said on tigerdroppings.com as fact? The 2 schools that I know were interested in Norvell were ole miss and Arkansas. He turned down ole miss because it’s a dumpster fire, and suddenly he’s linked to gambling?! Hmmmm? Then from what I can see, Norvell wanted the Arkansas job but Arkansas had already settled on Morris. Being the business man he is, Norvell used leverage for an extension on Dec 3, and 2 days later Morris is announced as head coach of Arkansas on Dec 5. That’s just my shitty detective work though.
He had interest at Tenn as well. The background rumor is all a rumor at this point, but it's pretty widespread rumor. Gambling is what I've heard, and frankly, it doesn't really put me off. Most of the guys in discussions have some personal issues that generate rumors like Sumlin and drinking.

I’ve tried to find some validity to the gambling claims and they only place that claims them to be true are ole miss forums lol. The Arkansas fans seem to talk about it on their board but also claim that it’s just ole miss fans being salty. I also agree that norvell is the best option.

Young
Great with quarterbacks (Tate)
He was ASUs best recruiter, and most importantly HE HAS WEST COAST/AZ RECRUITING EXPERIENCE
He can win, Memphis just won 10 games for the 2nd time in school history
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

So, are we at a point now where we have to wait until the job posting expires before we announce (assuming we already have their guy)?
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Do you think current head coaches might be hesitant to leave because of ESD and not wanting to leave their old kids who signed? Uncharted water as far as that goes
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

AZarchery wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

I’ve tried to find some validity to the gambling claims and they only place that claims them to be true are ole miss forums lol. The Arkansas fans seem to talk about it on their board but also claim that it’s just ole miss fans being salty. I also agree that norvell is the best option.

Young
He was ASUs best recruiter, and most importantly HE HAS WEST COAST/AZ RECRUITING EXPERIENCE
No legit institution would release info from a background check. If it was true, message board rumors are what you'd get. If it was false, message board rumors are what you'd get. Like I said, the message board buzz is that Sumlin has a drinking problem, so it's not like Norvell is among the angels.

On gambling, so long as Norvell isn't betting against his own team or getting into debt with point shavers, I don't really care. I was a teenager in Las Vegas, so maybe I'm cold, but there's a lot of normal gambling activity/association that is no biggie.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

DFF needs to work on his game and stay off of Twitter. He's one of the most regressed players on the team. Somebody coach that boy up and tell him his opinion don't mean squat.
Sid

Post by Sid »

jimson wrote:Here's how it looks to me.

Heeke obviously doesn't like RR. Doesn't like his demeanor on the sideline, doesn't like the results we are getting, doesn't like the empty stadium and doesn't like a coach who is a dick in press conferences.

Probably thinking he might have to fire him mid-season.

Chuck Cecil was not an RR hire but forced on him by Heeke probably at the behest of some boosters to get familiar with the situation as a possible mid season replacement.

RR knew it, didn't like it one bit, wouldn't let Cecil coach or be anywhere near him on the field.

Heeke lost his opportunity when RR started exceeding expectations for this year.

The late season slide helped, but this controversy really gave Heeke the cover he needed to justify firing a coach who had rebounded somewhat from a losing season last year.

Now, was Chuck Cecil really the fall back option? Was he ever and is he now a serious candidate? Did becoming the only P5 school with an opening lead to some new options?

Maybe just a crackpot theory I got here. We'll see.
I’ve beaten the Chuck drum to death as I’m quite certain he possesses the right stuff to bringing back smash mouth football to Tucson. I would retain Yates and Get Chuck up to the land of the scum and bring back our long lost child Antonio Pierce stat.
Alpha chiefdom

Post by Alpha chiefdom »

Wow!!! Who do you think you are telling DFF to stay off twitter. Then you go and call him boy wtf!!! Everything ive ever thought about you chief is true punkass
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Alpha chiefdom wrote:Wow!!! Who do you think you are telling DFF to stay off twitter. Then you go and call him boy wtf!!! Everything ive ever thought about you chief is true punkass

First of all, I know him. Second of all, you're a sock. Thirdly, you must be an oversensitive Millenial. Lastly, football is rough and this is a football message board.

Addendum: If you create an account that is mocking me, please grab some sack. I call it like I see it. It's what separates me from the normal beer chugging Joe. Remember how tough I was on RR? Well, you see why now. Open your eyes and grab your sack, sock....if you wanna ride with me. If you can't handle it, mock someone else. Thanks for playing.....
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

Alpha chiefdom wrote:Wow!!! Who do you think you are telling DFF to stay off twitter. Then you go and call him boy wtf!!! Everything ive ever thought about you chief is true punkass
It's impossible to lose respect for him when no one respected him to begin with.
AZarchery

Post by AZarchery »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
AZarchery wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Young
No legit institution would release info from a background check. If it was true, message board rumors are what you'd get. If it was false, message board rumors are what you'd get. Like I said, the message board buzz is that Sumlin has a drinking problem, so it's not like Norvell is among the angels.

On gambling, so long as Norvell isn't betting against his own team or getting into debt with point shavers, I don't really care. I was a teenager in Las Vegas, so maybe I'm cold, but there's a lot of normal gambling activity/association that is no biggie.
Yeah I could give 2 craps about gambling. Every coach Ive had was a sports bettor lol
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

I heard it wasn't gambling
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
AZarchery

Post by AZarchery »

PHXCATS wrote:I heard it wasn't gambling

Cool. Let’s be cryptic about a coach who isn’t even on our staff and most likely won’t be. You’re Really adding depth to this discussion.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

Continue... Might not have been you, but if we are going to call out Chief for cryptic posts then we have to call out everyone.
jimson

Post by jimson »

Sid wrote:
I’ve beaten the Chuck drum to death as I’m quite certain he possesses the right stuff to bringing back smash mouth football to Tucson. I would retain Yates and Get Chuck up to the land of the scum and bring back our long lost child Antonio Pierce stat.
I'm pretty sure Cecil and Hunley are a package deal, not sure if there would be room to keep Yates.

Some Hunley quotes from Hansen's article:

“We ate at Houston’s; Chuck brought his family,” said Hunley. “As you can imagine, we talked about Wildcat football. That’s what we always talk about. Today, Chuck and I were in agreement — both of us need to be back at Arizona. We both want to be there.”

“The football job at Arizona has been lacking people who have passion for the school and the program,” Hunley said. “For whatever reason, any kind of UA connection seemed to be avoided. It’s time to go back like a lot of other schools and take care of your own and be proud of what you’ve built.”

Screw Pierce, He is tainted with Sun Blister slime.

If recruits don't know who Chuck is, just send them this:

btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

Why not a HC Sumlin, DC Yates, and position coaches Hunley and Cecil? I agree we need some UofA connection, but can we groom them first instead of just handing them the HBC job? Ricky has never been more than a DL coach (in a league that mattered) and Chuck was a DC for like a year and a half with Tennessee. Otherwise is a lifetime secondary coach.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

Not sure if this was posted yet, but...

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/01/03/ ... ld-friend/
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

It was a drinking incident in the way back past. Not serious at all. There are coaches getting jobs with much more on their backgrounds.
prh

Post by prh »

btfd16 wrote:Not sure if this was posted yet, but...

Long article but TLDR is call Tomey and ask for suggestions
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

chiefzona wrote:

It was a drinking incident in the way back past. Not serious at all. There are coaches getting jobs with much more on their backgrounds.
Oh then wtf? I don't care at all about that... Any one that drinks has made a mistake while drinking. 75% of us have probably been involved in a bar fight at Dirtbags.
jimson

Post by jimson »

We could hire Tomey as the modestly paid Herm Edwards type CEO while Cecil, Hunley and Salavea coach the defense and special teams, and Tomey grooms one of them to take over. Turn the offense over to Sonny Dykes and have some of the highest paid assistants in the nation.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

jimson wrote:

We could hire Tomey as the modestly paid Herm Edwards type CEO while Cecil, Hunley and Salavea coach the defense and special teams, and Tomey grooms one of them to take over. Turn the offense over to Sonny Dykes and have some of the highest paid assistants in the nation.
Sonny just took the SMU job, no?
jimson

Post by jimson »

btfd16 wrote:
jimson wrote:

Sonny just took the SMU job, no?
Yeah just found out. Scratch that one.
AZarchery

Post by AZarchery »

Lol chief gets his decoder ring out when there’s a chance to make machina look bad.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

AZarchery wrote:Lol chief gets his decoder ring out when there’s a chance to make machina look bad.
Decoder ring gave me a solid laugh :lol:
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

https://www.si.com/college-football/201 ... ing-search" target="_blank

From the above, I like what Tee Martin could bring in to compliment Yates. Both are really solid recruiters, he's young and has some good credentials on offense, perhaps bringing a less dangerous scheme for Tate.
Might be good to stay a bit longer than Lane or Kevin, mentioned commitment to USC, as reason not to return to alma mater Tenn.
Very successful former player, which I always think bodes well for coaching.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

I feel like the West Coast is at a slight disadvantage when it comes to coaching searches. A lot are saying that we want someone who has west coast ties, not a retread, and will move the needle for attendance. East Coast has a ton of smaller schools at 4 of the P5/AAC that fit that fit that bill.. The West Coast does not have that. As far as up and comers, we have the MWC. If we want someone that fills all 3, it is hard to go much further than Texas, minus Norvell. There may be a few here and there, but it isn't like we are going to poach another Pac12 school like bigger schools in the SEC can (Mullen). Our options feel a lot more limited to coordinators, or sacrificing one of the first 3 criteria I listed.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

Anyone know what our budget is compared to what the top contenders might be looking for? I mean, are Sumlin and Miles out of our price range?
prh

Post by prh »

UALoco wrote:Anyone know what our budget is compared to what the top contenders might be looking for? I mean, are Sumlin and Miles out of our price range?
I would think Miles' range is highly flexible, considering he's been trying to get a job and nobody wants him. Although that could be because he's too rigid on that range.
Alpha chiefdom

Post by Alpha chiefdom »

It's even worse now that you know the young man chief and you have to call him boy. This young man might be somewhat emotional right now and is venting. Chief feels the boy needs to know his place get off twitter. Boy go work on your game masta knows best!! Boy your opinion doesn't matter. Chief your true colors showed!!
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

AZarchery wrote:Lol chief gets his decoder ring out when there’s a chance to make machina look bad.

I happen to like Machina. I had my ring out with RR. Some of you still had his back even though I told you he was a slimeball all along. Cool decoder ring there. :D
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

Why isn't the job posted?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

Don't like Helfrich to Arizona. But really don't like Helfrich to UCLA.
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

Dont really like Helfrich either but seems the biggest failure when he was at Oregon, was on the D side of the ball, and recruiting. Yates seems to have some momentum on both. I realize the defense still statistically was pretty woeful last year but now that there is some size on the dline, with Sione hopefully ready at 330lbs, PJ in 320 range, Boles over 300, hoping it could improve on the run and with another year with stud freshman, could make a nice leap. Perhaps the offensive scheme could be slightly slower than RR, so as not to put so much pressure on d side of the ball.
Re-read some stats from his last year at Boise, having played 8 ranked opponents and the stats were Very Impressive!!