New rules

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

azgreg

New rules

Post by azgreg »

http://footballscoop.com/news/ncaa-chan ... uchbakcks/" target="_blank
The NCAA’s Playing Rules Oversight panel on Friday announced a significant change to how kickoffs are treated. Moving forward, kickoffs that land inside the field of play between the goal line and the 25-yard line can now be fair caught and taken to the 25 as touchbacks. The move essentially extends the end zone out 25 yards on kickoffs, a significant and obvious attempt to limit the number of runbacks.
Other rules changes:

– The 40-second play clock will now start before PAT or 2-point conversion attempts, and the 40-second clock will start more quickly after kickoffs.

– Collaborative replay reviews (such as in-stadium officials communicating with the conference office) may continue on an experimental basis.

– Leaping rules on field goals and extra points were adjusted to mirror those on punting plays, where leaping over the frame of the body of an opponent is illegal.

– Penalty enforcement on field goals will now be treated the same as extra points, where unsportsmanlike calls on the defensive team can now be accepted on the ensuing kickoff.
ASUHATER!

Re: New rules

Post by ASUHATER! »

That will eliminate almost all kick returns then
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

azgreg wrote:http://footballscoop.com/news/ncaa-chan ... uchbakcks/
1 The NCAA’s Playing Rules Oversight panel on Friday announced a significant change to how kickoffs are treated. Moving forward, kickoffs that land inside the field of play between the goal line and the 25-yard line can now be fair caught and taken to the 25 as touchbacks. The move essentially extends the end zone out 25 yards on kickoffs, a significant and obvious attempt to limit the number of runbacks.
Other rules changes:

2 – The 40-second play clock will now start before PAT or 2-point conversion attempts, and the 40-second clock will start more quickly after kickoffs.

3 – Collaborative replay reviews (such as in-stadium officials communicating with the conference office) may continue on an experimental basis.

4 – Leaping rules on field goals and extra points were adjusted to mirror those on punting plays, where leaping over the frame of the body of an opponent is illegal.

5 – Penalty enforcement on field goals will now be treated the same as extra points, where unsportsmanlike calls on the defensive team can now be accepted on the ensuing kickoff.

1=Awful but get why they are doing it
2=Good rule
3=Good
4=Good
5=Good

I heard that there will be a runoff of 10 seconds for failed challenges. Thats good as well
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
ALASKACAT

Post by ALASKACAT »

PHXCATS wrote:
azgreg wrote:http://footballscoop.com/news/ncaa-chan ... uchbakcks/
1 The NCAA’s Playing Rules Oversight panel on Friday announced a significant change to how kickoffs are treated. Moving forward, kickoffs that land inside the field of play between the goal line and the 25-yard line can now be fair caught and taken to the 25 as touchbacks. The move essentially extends the end zone out 25 yards on kickoffs, a significant and obvious attempt to limit the number of runbacks.
Other rules changes:

2 – The 40-second play clock will now start before PAT or 2-point conversion attempts, and the 40-second clock will start more quickly after kickoffs.

3 – Collaborative replay reviews (such as in-stadium officials communicating with the conference office) may continue on an experimental basis.

4 – Leaping rules on field goals and extra points were adjusted to mirror those on punting plays, where leaping over the frame of the body of an opponent is illegal.

5 – Penalty enforcement on field goals will now be treated the same as extra points, where unsportsmanlike calls on the defensive team can now be accepted on the ensuing kickoff.

1=Awful but get why they are doing it
2=Good rule
3=Good
4=Good
5=Good

I heard that there will be a runoff of 10 seconds for failed challenges. Thats good as well
When does leaping come into play during punting plays? Leaping over the personal protectors to attempt to block a punt?
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

ASUHATER! wrote:That will eliminate almost all kick returns then
seriously at this point they should just remove the play from the game.

it's stupid to have it in the game and yet allow any kick inside the 25 to be fair-caught and taken to the 25.

Also, the speeding up when the clock starts is stupid too. How about if you wanna speed up the game, you take out a few fucking commercial breaks ncaa? Oh, that would eat into a little of your fuckload of cash? well can't have that then.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Sage&Silver

Post by Sage&Silver »

PieceOfMeat wrote:

it's stupid to have it in the game and yet allow any kick inside the 25 to be fair-caught and taken to the 25.

Also, the speeding up when the clock starts is stupid too. How about if you wanna speed up the game, you take out a few fucking commercial breaks ncaa? Oh, that would eat into a little of your fuckload of cash? well can't have that then.
I assume they kept the kick in the game to preserve the on-side kick. The possibility of recovering a kick makes a late nine-point deficit not entirely hopeless.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Sage&Silver wrote:
PieceOfMeat wrote:

I assume they kept the kick in the game to preserve the on-side kick. The possibility of recovering a kick makes a late nine-point deficit not entirely hopeless.
Well, I can see teams still returning kicks. If you have a dangerous return man, he can easily average beyond the 25 as a starting position plus the occasional TD.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Desert Swarm says what?!

PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

how business and professional, near-nfl standards even, the "amateur" ncaa is getting.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

NCAA sure knows how to pick its battles
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

azgreg wrote:
F*ck off. Some ref threatened to give me an unsportsmanlike like penalty, in a freaking state playoff game, if I didnt pull my knee pads over my knees. Im also 6'5" and they dont exactly fit that great, not to mention... no... plus screw that ref. Screw the NCAA.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

azgreg wrote:
"The N.C.A.A. did not dispute that the University of North Carolina was guilty of running one of the worst academic fraud schemes in college sports history, involving fake classes that enabled dozens of athletes to gain and maintain their eligibility.

But there will be no penalties, the organization said, because no rules were broken.

In a ruling that caused head-scratching everywhere except Chapel Hill, the N.C.A.A. announced on Friday that it could not punish the university or its athletics program because the “paper” classes were not available exclusively to athletes. Other students at North Carolina had access to the fraudulent classes, too.

Noting that distinction, the panel that investigated the case “could not conclude that the University of North Carolina violated N.C.A.A. academic rules,” the N.C.A.A. said in a statement."

Good to see the NCAA is still locked in on the stuff that matters.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Freshman can now play 4 games without burning their redshirt!
College athletes competing in Division I football can participate in up to four games in a season without using a season of competition, the Division I Council decided this week at its meeting in Indianapolis.

Division I student-athletes have five years to compete in up to four seasons of competition. The new exception allows football players to preserve a season of competition if, for example, injuries or other factors result in them competing in a small number of games.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Is it any four games?
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

UAEebs86 wrote:Is it any four games?

Yes.