32 Santino Marchiol

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

ANGCatFan

32 Santino Marchiol

Post by ANGCatFan »

Marchiol is a 6-1, 220, redshirt Freshman linebacker from Texas A&M, IMG Academy, Centennial, CO. He redshirted last year, but decided to leave College Station and follow Coach Sumlin to Tucson. As a Senior at IMG Academy Marchiol had 54 tackles (4 for a loss) and 1 sack while the team went 11-0 and was ranked #2 in the country.

Marchiol struggled with injuries while at A&M. He was an early enrollee, but missed most of the first spring with an injury. Last fall Marchiol was expected to play as a Freshman, but another injury led to his redshirt. He used his down time to get stronger and bigger and had a good spring at A&M. Here is what the A&M 247 site had to say about Marchiol before his transfer was announced:
Marchiol spent the off season prior to spring practice working hard and changing his body. It was obvious the first time that anyone saw him that he had added significant mass on top of a thick base and the weight made a real difference in his play. Being a straight line player, he attacked people with everything in unison…shoulder and feet were aligned and in position to deliver a nasty blow. When he jacked someone up, they felt it or were stopped in their tracks regardless of whether they were a back or a lineman. He played with explosion and power and yet maintained the ability to move laterally within the box.

Marchiol played the Mike in the spring and was the backup to Tyrel Dodson. It’s unlikely that Marchiol is going to be able to take Dodson’s spot away given Dodson’s level of play in the fall and spring. Nonetheless, Marchiol and backup Will Anthony Hines give the Aggies a very solid set of four backers on the inside. In particular, Hines and Marchiol should play with little fall off seeing minutes as backups or having to take over in case of injury. Marchiol should be able to maintain his run fits, step up, and fill on the inside versus the running game as evidenced by his performance in the spring game. He’s also going to be versatile enough to send on blitzes and make plays when the situation warrants even though he is not a sideline to sideline type of player.
Marchiol will likely have to miss another year due to transfer rules, but it is the NCAA so who knows.

Last edited by ANGCatFan on Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
btfd16

Re: 32 Santino Marchiol

Post by btfd16 »

Whooooooaaaaa buddy
prh

Post by prh »

btfd16 wrote: Whooooooaaaaa buddy
Oh man this would be a huge story if ESPN didn't have a hard on for Jimbo AND hate for us
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Good for him. Money and greed is killing all things in america and you can really see that in college athletics. Only issue here is that the NCAA is about as greedy and corrupt as they come so for them to arbitrate this, well that is too funny
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

It's really a fascinating story and effort to get to play this year. What a move on Marchiol's part
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Not sure I liked reading about Sumlin's "Country Club" atmosphere but I guess given the source...
prh

Post by prh »

EastCoastCat wrote:Not sure I liked reading about Sumlin's "Country Club" atmosphere but I guess given the source...
Yeah, it was worded awkwardly, but I took that to mean the new coaching staff repeatedly said it was a country club. And Jimbo doesn't really have much credibility to begin with.
SteveKerrsStroke

Post by SteveKerrsStroke »

Don't want this guy on our team. Sounds like a team cancer. What happens when his feelings get hurt here? I'm sure blowing the whistle on his old school and common recruiting practices in order to play this year is really going to endear him to his new teammates.

And yes, Sumlin runs a country club. That's why he recruits like a madman. Pros and cons. Cheers to hoping he will be able to actually develop some of that talent this go around and the team doesn't fall apart a few games into conference play.
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

SteveKerrsStroke wrote:Don't want this guy on our team. Sounds like a team cancer. What happens when his feelings get hurt here? I'm sure blowing the whistle on his old school and common recruiting practices in order to play this year is really going to endear him to his new teammates.

And yes, Sumlin runs a country club. That's why he recruits like a madman. Pros and cons. Cheers to hoping he will be able to actually develop some of that talent this go around and the team doesn't fall apart a few games into conference play.
Doesn't sound that way at all to me, and from what we've heard is this kid has been flying all over the field. The game is evolving and i think you'll see a lot more players looking out for #1 before the team. There's zero reason this kid shouldn't be able to play immediately after red shirting last year, and he's trying to ensure he doesn't lose a year for nothing.
TheGreatCatsby

Post by TheGreatCatsby »

It's the exact culture he describes that leads coaches to lose their minds and run kids in extreme heat with no water till they pass out and die like at Maryland. Jimbo Fisher coming in and doing the same crap everyone does, Rich Rod did it here. The attitude that everyone around here is pussy soft and that's why you're all losers and lost in the past-but I'm here now with my abusive ways to turn you all into winners, so follow me at all costs.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

That's what got Mike Leach in trouble at Texas Tech, putting "malingerers" in storage sheds in the heat of the day.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

To me it sounds like over embellishing to be able to play immediately. Don't think he is really disgruntled. Shit, I wouldn't be if coach is giving me $300-400.

I also don't have a problem with the screaming and yelling. Some kids respond to it. I responded to it. You need to have both types of coaches on the team though. Good cop, bad cop. And it can't be constant. The problem arises when you get mad for not practicing for injuries.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

prh

Post by prh »

Merkin wrote:
How in the world did TAMU not learn from Sumlin's contract??

It's amazing, the reaction to this story shows so much of what's wrong with the culture of football. So many people (not necessarily here) are trashing the kid for this, but no one is wondering: "what if this is all true?" Nobody cares about the problems, and a lot of people want to stick their heads in the sand and act like there's no problem at all.

And we wonder how we end up with dudes like Richie Incognito...
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Story is getting uglier. Sports Day reports of possible racist comments on a video linked to Marchiol's hudl account.

Michael Lev covers the issue on twitter: If you click on the tweet you can see the thread.
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

That whole video thing is a bunch of garbage, and easily disproved. It's just mud slinging and not done very well at that
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

prh

Post by prh »

Well this whole story has certainly got even stranger
SteveKerrsStroke

Post by SteveKerrsStroke »