Arizona @ Hawaii discussion thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

threenumberones

Re: Arizona @ Hawaii discussion thread

Post by threenumberones »

threenumberones wrote:
whatisee wrote:
btfd16 wrote:I am terrified of this game and Cole McDonald.
SMH send our LB 's at him all game long. Our strength this year will be the D...watch
I am absolutely ready for this if true. About time we started creeping back towards the swarm..
Um, no.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

PHXCATS wrote:Really sucks but beat Texas Tech and it is all good
lol. It's not all good. Not even close. I don't see 4 wins on the schedule anymore. Recruiting sucks and is only going to get worse. There will be no one in attendance. We will lose more money. This was a disaster.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

btfd16 wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:Really sucks but beat Texas Tech and it is all good
lol. It's not all good. Not even close. I don't see 4 wins on the schedule anymore. Recruiting sucks and is only going to get worse. There will be no one in attendance. We will lose more money. This was a disaster.
The point was that Texas Tech was a game many thought we would lose. Hawaii was a game many thought we would win. If you flip them the results for the season will be fine.

Now for our pathetic fan base abandoning the teams and causing the program millions of dollars, yes that is a big concern.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

The issue is the fans in general don’t believe in Sumlin and his coaches. He doesn’t care and the team is a reflection of him. If the department is watching they have to see fans are apathetic and upset. Beating TT won’t bring them back. There is trouble and we need a leader like Ced Dempsey right now
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

When RichRod lost Tucson, even when Khalil Tate burst onto the national scene, and was the most exciting player in college football for the month of October, with a 4 game winning streak, playing a nationally ranked WSU team at home, even then they could not sell out Arizona Stadium.

That's Tucson now with Sumlin. I doubt he will ever get Tucson back even if they do turn the season around. Which isn't likely, given Sumlin's apathy regarding the team and game.

And with reports that Sumlin is a drunkard, it makes a lush like RichRod seem like a Mormon in comparison.

I don't know why Sumlin is even working, given that aTm is paying him $10.4M.

At least Arizona has a mitigation contract with Sumlin, given that if and when the UA fires him he will need to look for work if he wants to get paid.

Being a HC in Div I is a 60-70 hour a week job.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

azcat49 wrote:The issue is the fans in general don’t believe in Sumlin and his coaches. He doesn’t care and the team is a reflection of him. If the department is watching they have to see fans are apathetic and upset. Beating TT won’t bring them back. There is trouble and we need a leader like Ced Dempsey right now
Why would you say he does not care?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

You can read his body language. Word is he is a drunk and has a problem. His teams are poorly prepared. He runs camp like a country club (see player comments). He is out of touch with the fan base as he Never’s mentions the collapse against ASSU. He should have been beating that drum all off season that it will not happen again and it’s our #1 goal this year. If for no other reason to show some freaking emotion.

Guy is done. He will be finished as a head coach and he doesn’t have the stones to fire Yates and bench Tate and go with the future in Gunnell. Just a weak leader
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Warm body collecting a paycheck as long as he can
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

azcat49 wrote:You can read his body language. Word is he is a drunk and has a problem. His teams are poorly prepared. He runs camp like a country club (see player comments). He is out of touch with the fan base as he Never’s mentions the collapse against ASSU. He should have been beating that drum all off season that it will not happen again and it’s our #1 goal this year. If for no other reason to show some freaking emotion.

Guy is done. He will be finished as a head coach and he doesn’t have the stones to fire Yates and bench Tate and go with the future in Gunnell. Just a weak leader
We will see but I dont see things the same way. As for Tate, he is the reason the Cats stayed in the game. I saw that INT in the 4th coming from a mile away but Tate was not the issue, it was the D
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Agreed he was our best player (maybe Whitaker) on the field but he is not the future and he can’t run the plays Mazzone wants to run (see wheel routes to the backs missed twice for scores). The future is Gunnell
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

azcat49 wrote:Agreed he was our best player (maybe Whitaker) on the field but he is not the future and he can’t run the plays Mazzone wants to run (see wheel routes to the backs missed twice for scores). The future is Gunnell

Yes those two wide open passes to the left flat that Tate missed were extremely frustrating. 1 of them we got a TD a few plays later but would have been an easy 6 on that play. The other one in the first quarter we punted on that drive and if Tate would have completed the pass it would have been a huge gain
Sid

Post by Sid »

I remember years ago SC riddled with 4/5 star players played at Hawaii and almost lost. I would guess the majority of our players have never been to Hawaii. I never felt good about this game. Texas Tech will be the indicator. I am also hopeful the beautiful island of Oahu was a key component in our loss. Those that have ever traveled to the Hawaiian islands know....it’s a magical place, life slows down to a crawl a mellowed calmness effect if you will & it can take that killer instinct right out of you....the kids were on Hawaiian time.

Let’s see what happens against Tech.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Sid wrote:I remember years ago SC riddled with 4/5 star players played at Hawaii and almost lost. I would guess the majority of our players have never been to Hawaii. I never felt good about this game. Texas Tech will be the indicator. I am also hopeful the beautiful island of Oahu was a key component in our loss. Those that have ever traveled to the Hawaiian islands know....it’s a magical place, life slows down to a crawl a mellowed calmness effect if you will & it can take that killer instinct right out of you....the kids were on Hawaiian time.

USC has never won by less than double digits to Hawaii. The closest was 2010 when they won 49-36 and it was a late score by Hawaii to get there.

http://football.stassen.com/cgi-bin/rec ... am2=Hawaii" target="_blank
Sid

Post by Sid »

azgreg wrote:
Sid wrote:I remember years ago SC riddled with 4/5 star players played at Hawaii and almost lost. I would guess the majority of our players have never been to Hawaii. I never felt good about this game. Texas Tech will be the indicator. I am also hopeful the beautiful island of Oahu was a key component in our loss. Those that have ever traveled to the Hawaiian islands know....it’s a magical place, life slows down to a crawl a mellowed calmness effect if you will & it can take that killer instinct right out of you....the kids were on Hawaiian time.

USC has never won by less than double digits to Hawaii. The closest was 2010 when they won 49-36 and it was a late score by Hawaii to get there.

Good find. I guess I was trying to find away to feel better about that less than stellar performance we all endured. Running out of vodka didn’t help matters any.

Ugh.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Sid wrote:
azgreg wrote:

Good find. I guess I was trying to find away to feel better about that less than stellar performance we all endured. Running out of vodka didn’t help matters any.

Ugh.
There's no sugar coating it Sid. We suck.
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

My beloved old wildcat football program. More heartbreaks than an old man should have to endure. The more pain it gives me, even in my old age and disgust at times, I still find it a most worthy cause, with great meaning in its continued existence with the ultimate endeavor to reach that winning apex that all seek to achieve in the profession.

The love, personal investment and dedication and even happiness of following the program for over 50 years, even with less than stellar results still rise above the daunting failures and painful seasons of lost dreams and poor games as the journey has unfolded.

I have many times in the past spoken very derogatory against the football brotherhood of our program out of frustration, but my deep unequivocal love and concern for the program and its greater meaning keeps me coming back.

As much as I want to give up, I just can't. I must fight on even when it seems meaningless and the product less than what most fans deem acceptable.

The young men deserve our courage to stand tall for them, be counted and show leadership as alum and fans alike.

I'm not here to preach or judge anyone for their feelings of disappointment and apathy. All I'm saying is this old cat is going down with the ship, good or bad. I'm too damn old to turn back now and I know the young men on team would appreciate me standing strong for them in tough times.

Stay strong everyone, we'll get through this!
Sid

Post by Sid »

Gladiator Cat wrote:My beloved old wildcat football program. More heartbreaks than an old man should have to endure. The more pain it gives me, even in my old age and disgust at times, I still find it a most worthy cause, with great meaning in its continued existence with the ultimate endeavor to reach that winning apex that all seek to achieve in the profession.

The love, personal investment and dedication and even happiness of following the program for over 50 years, even with less than stellar results still rise above the daunting failures and painful seasons of lost dreams and poor games as the journey has unfolded.

I have many times in the past spoken very derogatory against the football brotherhood of our program out of frustration, but my deep unequivocal love and concern for the program and its greater meaning keeps me coming back.

As much as I want to give up, I just can't. I must fight on even when it seems meaningless and the product less than what most fans deem acceptable.

The young men deserve our courage to stand tall for them, be counted and show leadership as alum and fans alike.

I'm not here to preach or judge anyone for their feelings of disappointment and apathy. All I'm saying is this old cat is going down with the ship, good or bad. I'm too damn old to turn back now and I know the young men on team would appreciate me standing strong for them in tough times.

Amen!
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

Gladiator Cat wrote:My beloved old wildcat football program. More heartbreaks than an old man should have to endure. The more pain it gives me, even in my old age and disgust at times, I still find it a most worthy cause, with great meaning in its continued existence with the ultimate endeavor to reach that winning apex that all seek to achieve in the profession.

LOL. I had student tickets when Jim Young and Tony Mason were the coaches. I have been just like you through all of the intervening years. But last year was the last straw for me, as long as these coaches are still here. I will look at the box scores of the games in the paper, but won't waste a minute of my time watching a game.

But, very eloquently stated. I wish I could continue to invest that much of myself, I just can't.
Last edited by BBQ wildcat on Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

My first game Darrel Mudra was the coach. I will watch and still root but they won’t get my money. They have my emotion and that’s all I will give them right now
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I've tried to ignore Arizona football for the past 15 years. The key is to distract yourself so much, you forget there's even a game. Sometimes I screw up and get hopeful, and I pay the price. But for the most part, it's worked out.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Longhorned wrote:I've tried to ignore Arizona football for the past 15 years. The key is to distract yourself so much, you forget there's even a game. Sometimes I screw up and get hopeful, and I pay the price. But for the most part, it's worked out.
Not 15 years but that's basically been my strategy for a while.
threenumberones

Post by threenumberones »

Great post GC. Always good to keep things in perspective. My father, who recently passed, would have written something quite similar I feel. Thanks.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Every Arizona season feels like I wait until this happens:

UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:Every Arizona season feels like I wait until this happens:

I posted that about 15 minutes into the game in this thread.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

We have sucked since I was a freshman in 1981, and even going back to the 1950's, 60's and 70's.

I take that back, Larry Smith really had the UA going in the right direction, until he took the redeye out of Tucson to LAX after lying to the press and apparently not saying goodbye to the players

But next year Sumlin and Mazzone will have their guy in a real QB named Gunnell, instead of RichRod's athlete playing QB.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Merkin wrote:We have sucked since I was a freshman in 1981, and even going back to the 1950's, 60's and 70's.

I take that back, Larry Smith really had the UA going in the right direction, until he took the redeye out of Tucson to LAX after lying to the press and apparently not saying goodbye to the players

But next year Sumlin and Mazzone will have their guy in a real QB named Gunnell, instead of RichRod's athlete playing QB.
To be fair we haven't sucked per se. We've just always been a 6 win roughly .500 definition of mediocrity. We're nowhere near the historical suckitude of places like Oregon State, Indiana, Wake Forest or pre-Snyder Kansas State. We're actually ahead of a couple dozen programs all time win and win percentage wise. But we aren't good. We just go like 6-5, 6-6, 5-6, 7-5 every year on average historically.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

ASUHATER! wrote:
Merkin wrote:We have sucked since I was a freshman in 1981, and even going back to the 1950's, 60's and 70's.

To be fair we haven't sucked per se. We've just always been a 6 win roughly .500 definition of mediocrity. We're nowhere near the historical suckitude of places like Oregon State, Indiana, Wake Forest or pre-Snyder Kansas State. We're actually ahead of a couple dozen programs all time win and win percentage wise. But we aren't good. We just go like 6-5, 6-6, 5-6, 7-5 every year on average historically.

Just can't get over the edge. Even Mike Price at Wazzu was able to get to 2 Rose Bowls, and Leach is knocking on the door there too.

Not sure why Arizona thought Leach was poison, just keep him on a short leash.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Nothing about Sumlin and Mazzone convinces me this won't lead to more disappointment. I mean, Tate had some Heisman level moments under RichRod.

So far it's been a total failure to scheme to talent. You have to do that or recruit better talent. Neither appears to be happening.

I feel like I could do a better job with Tate. Just run read option a lot.
Sid

Post by Sid »

Time to unleash the beast.

Give Chuck the defense and let’s see how it plays out.....now!
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Captain Obvious

Post by Captain Obvious »

Sid wrote:Time to unleash the beast.

Give Chuck the defense and let’s see how it plays out.....now!
Wouldn't make much if any difference. Absolutely no talent to work with and to make it worse players that aren't teachable with the exception of Schooler. I'm amazed we didn't give up 60 plus to Hawaii. We will in plenty of other games this season.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

If it wasn't for them handing us the ball every other possession we easily would've had 60+ put up on our d
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

UAEebs86 wrote:
This entire coaching staff is beyond fucking worthless.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Tate didn’t look like he has the speed he did two years ago.
Maybe the injuries have hobbled him. Maybe that’s why he didn’t run last season.
Or maybe he has taken one too many hits and is a bit more cautious when running.

Either way, passing isn’t his forte.
ALASKACAT

Post by ALASKACAT »

Didn't Tate have a turf toe injury? Perhaps he is guarding against re-injuring it.