NAU @ Arizona discussion thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

azgreg

NAU @ Arizona discussion thread

Post by azgreg »

OK, I guess we have to have this thread.

Discuss.
scumdevils86

Re: NAU @ Arizona discussion thread

Post by scumdevils86 »

We win, probably...
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

House divided

My son goes to UofA, and my daughter goes to NAU.

Although I don't think either one gives a rat's ass at this point.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

NAU has a 5th year QB who can throw it. We had a full off season to prepare for Hawaii and only two weeks for NAU. That said, in front of 33,256

NAU 72
AZ 24
Last edited by azcat49 on Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
prh

Post by prh »

azgreg wrote:OK, I guess we have to have this thread.

Discuss.
Do we? Are we sure?
Captain Obvious

Post by Captain Obvious »

If Tate can run and our defense limits them to 65 points I think we can pull the upset.
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

UAEebs86 wrote:House divided

My son goes to UofA, and my daughter goes to NAU.

Although I don't think either one gives a rat's ass at this point.
Person united.

I went to NAU freshman year and then UA after that.

I want both to do well, but UA is just too big for NAU.
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

If we somehow manage to lose this game, just cancel the rest of the season.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

AZCatGirl wrote:If we somehow manage to lose this game, just cancel the rest of the season.
UA will win by 30 plus
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

What's with all the downer talk? This could be our only win of the season.... let's enjoy it! Then lets donate all of our income to the Arizona Athletic Department to show them how much we love and respect them!!!
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I just hope we don't lose.

I'm gonna wait for markers like actual progress. Right now, avoiding embarassment is first up.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

A real issue is many of the fans I speak to just have very little confidence in this staff. Avoiding embarrassment is an accurate sentiment for this game. I really think by the end of the year the erosion of this fan base will be at epic proportions.

We won’t beat TT, CU and probably OSU as thought. Spiff said this might be our only win but I think we can beat UCLA as long as they don’t find a QB. To think that most programs get a big bump in year 2 of a coaching staff change. We continue to spiral down the drain with Mr Excitement and his staff. Sad sad sad
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

Its an awful situation and schadenfreude doesn’t make it any better . . . but UCLA is in year two, too.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Here's how I'd summarize out offensive philosophy: year 2 of jamming a square peg into a round hole.

I assume our defensive philosophy involves a lot of prayers. I don't know why we'd have any confidence in the staff. You don't see evolution or development in players or scheme. They run the same stuff regardless of personnel and keep the players in a fairly constant state of semi-preparation and semi-focus.

It's my biggest issue with Sumlin. What are some markers we're building something? I don't see much building, just doing the same thing and hoping it works better than last time.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:Here's how I'd summarize out offensive philosophy: year 2 of jamming a square peg into a round hole.

I assume our defensive philosophy involves a lot of prayers. I don't know why we'd have any confidence in the staff. You don't see evolution or development in players or scheme. They run the same stuff regardless of personnel and keep the players in a fairly constant state of semi-preparation and semi-focus.

It's my biggest issue with Sumlin. What are some markers we're building something? I don't see much building, just doing the same thing and hoping it works better than last time.
Exactly this. Which is why I keep saying they're just hoping to collect a paycheck for 3 years then get fired. Just coasting. But God damnit you better buy season tickets and donate a 10% tithe to the AD! Support those grifters!
prh

Post by prh »

Remember when all the players wanted Yates as HC? :lol:
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:Here's how I'd summarize out offensive philosophy: year 2 of jamming a square peg into a round hole.

We're building towards nothing, but digging ourselves an even bigger hole than Mike Stoops dug us out of.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Let's try to look at this in another way. What if.....stay with me here.....what if Hawaii's offense turns out to be all world this year? What if they light up everybody just like they did us? They are all god damn world and we almost beat them in their house! Life is so bright I gotta wear shades.

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:

We're building towards nothing, but digging ourselves an even bigger hole than Mike Stoops dug us out of.
That's what it's felt like so far. Sumlin is recruiting RichRod level talent and not coaching that talent as well as RichRod did. That's how I see the Sumlin tenure so far.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

I just want that team from the 1st half of the ASU game. Remember 3 halves ago we were pretty good. I don't know where the hangups are but KS better figure it out or he is going to be walking pretty soon.

NAU, we should control the line on both sides of the ball. If we can't, we are fucked for the season. We should win by at least 2 td's.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

That's what it's felt like so far. Sumlin is recruiting RichRod level talent and not coaching that talent as well as RichRod did. That's how I see the Sumlin tenure so far.
Yup, it's the Rich Rod tenure V2.0 with MUCH worse coaching and the same awful defense.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

PHXCATS wrote:
AZCatGirl wrote:If we somehow manage to lose this game, just cancel the rest of the season.
UA will win by 30 plus

I will take NAU and 30 for $20 if you want. I will give you this trend though. Sumlin is 4/7 with 5 consecutive losses after a bye week. I know you are a ride or die guy but this is a big clue the guy can’t coach or game prep
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

azcat49 wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
UA will win by 30 plus

I will take NAU and 30 for $20 if you want. I will give you this trend though. Sumlin is 4/7 with 5 consecutive losses after a bye week. I know you are a ride or die guy but this is a big clue the guy can’t coach or game prep
Sure you got NAU plus 30 I got UA minus 30 for $20
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

azcat49 wrote:I will take NAU and 30 for $20 if you want. I will give you this trend though. Sumlin is 4/7 with 5 consecutive losses after a bye week. I know you are a ride or die guy but this is a big clue the guy can’t coach or game prep
Do you know who the opponents were?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Looked it up. His loses after byes were:
#8 Washington St.
Mississippi St
@ #1 Alabama
@ #10 Alabama
LSU
@ #18 LSU

Not a NAU in the bunch.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Thx Greg. I would be shocked if we lost to a FCS team but with this group of coaches you never know
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

PHXCATS wrote:
azcat49 wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
UA will win by 30 plus

Sure you got NAU plus 30 I got UA minus 30 for $20
Sounds good, we can square up in Vegas at the pac tourney
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Just a note Dick Tomey, a guy who could game prep and develop talent, was 17-4 after a bye week from the 89 season through the 2000 season. He didn’t need a bye for NAU
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

azcat49 wrote:Just a note Dick Tomey, a guy who could game prep and develop talent, was 17-4 after a bye week from the 89 season through the 2000 season. He didn’t need a bye for NAU
Two things; One: Tomey is my favorite coach of all time in any sport and you are absolutely correct. Two: It's not like Sumlin asked for a bye before the NAU game.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Nope he did not. But neither his game prep (see Hawaii) over a long off season or after a bye gives me hope this staff can take us to next level things. These trends are telling as to the quality of our staff IMO.
Last edited by azcat49 on Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

azcat49 wrote:Nope he did not. But neither his game prep (see Hawaii) over a long off season or after a bye gives me hope this staff can take us to next level things. These trends are telling as to the the quality of our staff IMO.
Don't get me wrong here, I'm trying to defend the guy like that. I think it's more likely his tenure is going to be a failure. With that being said, i was on board with the hire. He wasn't my first choice but I was OK with it. However, I was also on board with the Mackaprick, Stoops, and RR hires as well so don't ask my advice on the next one.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I get ya Greg and I am just having a hard time with the last three plus games. We got hammered and embarrassed by WAZZU, had a monumental collapse against ASSU and then lose to ANOTHER non power 5 team and look like we never looked at film.

You can see he was hired to bring in more talent and so far that has not happened at all. Just can’t see the results improving
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

azcat49 wrote:I get ya Greg and I am just having a hard time with the last three plus games. We got hammered and embarrassed by WAZZU, had a monumental collapse against ASSU and then lose to ANOTHER non power 5 team and look like we never looked at film.

You can see he was hired to bring in more talent and so far that has not happened at all. Just can’t see the results improving
I was sold on his recruiting. I guess we all found out that you can't recruit to Tucson like you can to the SEC. Current 2020 class ranking is 83rd behind powerhouses Air Force, UTSA, Army, N Illinois, UMass, S Alabama, Bowling Green, Oregon St, Syracuse, Louisiana, W Michigan, Temple, Miami (OH), Toledo, Louisiana Tech, Vanderbilt, N Texas, Tulane..............FUCK!!!!!!!!

i know this class isn't over but god damn it!

UTSA.............FUCK!
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

I was at that 2014 game in San Antonio and we looked like we couldn't stand flat footed and fuck a turkey.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

Over/under 35k in attendance?
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Reported attendance will be over but reality will be lower. By 930 and the start of the 3rd quarter I bet there's 20k max. Lucky if 10k stay for the end
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

btfd16 wrote:Over/under 35k in attendance?
I don't think 35,000 people in Tucson realize there is a football game on Saturday.
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

I have zero interest in going, or even watching this game on tv sadly.
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Reported attendance will probably be like 40k, but actual will be near 30k with only 15-20k being there early in the 3rd. Wouldn't be surprised if at the final whistle there's only like 5k in the stands.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

UAdevil wrote:I have zero interest in going, or even watching this game on tv sadly.
For the first time since I was a senior in high school, I agree. I have something at 745 Saturday night and while normally I'd move Heaven and Earth to watch, I just don't have a desire to go out of my way to do it.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

The game won’t tell us anything, other than if we lose. Need to get to the TT game to see if these coaches can game plan and coach up these kids
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

Is anyone going to watch the game? I’m not.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I'm watching.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

I’m going.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Postmaster wrote:I’m going.
I'm sorry. As I've said before, my wife and I have opposite schedules most of the week so since she's off Saturday we'll be doing something together. I probably won't watch any football, and I definitely wouldn't watch our game
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

I'll watch on TV, but like others have said this game isn't going to tell us much.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

I will be there. Never quit
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

Not watching
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I'll watch if I can find a stream, not ready yet to start my Sling TV subscription back up.
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

I'll be watching as I always do.