Fire Sumlin

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

TatetheGreat

Fire Sumlin

Post by TatetheGreat »

He has another three years on his deal. Robbins and Heeke gotta go, too.
Alieberman

Re: Fire Sumlin

Post by Alieberman »

If Sumlin had any self respect he would quit.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Sumlin would love to get fired. Didn't aTm pay him $10M when he was fired?

Have the Cats finished paying off RichRod?
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

It depends on what Sumlin does at DC ad special teams this offseason. I’m inclined to give a coach 3 years.

But let’s be clear about something. We don’t want this AD doing another search.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

Guess he's not going anywhere this year. -_-
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

AZCatGirl wrote: Guess he's not going anywhere this year. -_-
Yeah the odds of him being fired after this season were always pretty much 0. Even next year the only way I see him being fired is if we win less than 5-6 games. 6-6 with a bowl appearance next year probably saves his job
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

No more head coaches that have ever been fired. Mackovic (4 times?), RichRod (UM) and now Sumlin (aTm).

The best years were when a head coach from a smaller program came to Arizona, with Smith from Tulane and Tomey from Hawaii.

Follow the basketball model.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Need to hire a guy from a Conference USA or Mountain West school that has had a few good years.

SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Stop trying to play the same game everyone else is playing, but with much more resources/advantages.

Don’t hire a head coach at all. Two great coordinators at $1.5M a year and a figure head “HC”.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

You all need to fire yourselves for following Arizona football. It's November. That's way too deep into the season to be torturing yourselves, especially on Homecoming.
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

LOL! Back at the beginning of the season, or maybe after the Hawaii game, I said I wouldn't watch any UA football until Sumiln was fired. I haven't watched a single down and check the scores after the game. Nothing since that first game has made me change my mind. I just hope Robbins does not ever, EVER, EVER extend Sumlin's contract. Let it run until the UA (NOT UArizona) can afford to get rid of him.

Who in the fuck ever came up with "we will henceforth be known as UArizona"? Fucktards.
IrishAzCat

Post by IrishAzCat »

Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

BBQ wildcat wrote:LOL! Back at the beginning of the season, or maybe after the Hawaii game, I said I wouldn't watch any UA football until Sumiln was fired. I haven't watched a single down and check the scores after the game. Nothing since that first game has made me change my mind. I just hope Robbins does not ever, EVER, EVER extend Sumlin's contract. Let it run until the UA (NOT UArizona) can afford to get rid of him.

Who in the fuck ever came up with "we will henceforth be known as UArizona"? Fucktards.
I saw some scroll on some sports channel the other day that identified Michigan as “UMich”.
Makes me think it’s going to be a new fad.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Should have hired Niumatalolo. Hmm, the solid coach who has done more with less or the guy who just got fired for doing less with more?

I hoped Sumlin would succeed despite not believing. It's turned out pretty much like I figured it would, except I thought he actually might be decent at some point.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

You fools, Ask this question.

How do we go from 7 win team in 17? to two straight losing season?

How does Sumlin and Mazzone screw up Khalil Tate in Two season.

Let me put some fire into this insult. RR won with less talent and incapable Defense. Sumlin couldn't muster to win with less talent and incapable defense.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Merkin wrote:No more head coaches that have ever been fired. Mackovic (4 times?), RichRod (UM) and now Sumlin (aTm).

The best years were when a head coach from a smaller program came to Arizona, with Smith from Tulane and Tomey from Hawaii.

Follow the basketball model.
Agreed. Our best coaches either were hot assistants (Jim Young) or from smaller schools (Larry Smith and Dick Tomey).

Man, that's a depressing sample of good coaches.
Last edited by azgreg on Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

cordera89 wrote:You fools, Ask this question.

Let me put some fire into this insult. RR won with less talent and incapable Defense. Sumlin couldn't muster to win with less talent and incapable defense.
Its funny that you think Tate is/was a good QB. Maybe he was good 2 years ago when he played RB but he was never a legit QB. Beside, he is scared to get hit now so he would probably even suck in the RR offense at this point.

RR got us into this mess with his horrible recruiting and so far Sumlin has done nothing to fix it.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:Should have hired Niumatalolo. Hmm, the solid coach who has done more with less or the guy who just got fired for doing less with more?

I hoped Sumlin would succeed despite not believing. It's turned out pretty much like I figured it would, except I thought he actually might be decent at some point.
Yup exactly this for me too.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

At the time I thought hiring Sumlin over Niumatalolo was a no-brainer but now that seems very wrong

MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

TatetheGreat wrote:He has another three years on his deal. Robbins and Heeke gotta go, too.
This coming from someone called ”TatetheGreat”

:lol: :lol: :lol:
No Bandwagon Here! Always a Cat!
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

Naw...he gets a couple more years.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

I'd be fine if he was fired now. But the AD has gotta go to and we can't afford it sooo oh well. He will be gone in a year if we have another 4 or 5 win season. Whatever.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

Sumlin is not going anywhere. How can you ask the boosters for more money to fire Sumlin after only two years and think the next guy will be the answer? If anyone is going to lose their job, I am guessing it would be Heeke.

The one hire that needs to happen is bringing back Joe Salave'a. They might have to spend more than they want, but it has to be done. It would be a little easier to get him if Oregon loses one more game before the bowl season begins. ;)
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:Should have hired Niumatalolo. Hmm, the solid coach who has done more with less or the guy who just got fired for doing less with more?
Navy is 7-1 and stomping teams. Have not scored less than 34 points in their wins.

But Tate said no, he is not running the tripple (sic) option and Heeke listened.

Just like with Yates, never let players pick the coaches.
Irish27 wrote:The one hire that needs to happen is bringing back Joe Salave'a.
Joe Robinson too. Reports were he wanted to return to Arizona to coach Special Teams again, but RichRod did not want a dedicated Special Teams coach.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Merkin wrote:
Navy is 7-1 and stomping teams. Have not scored less than 34 points in their wins.

But Tate said no, he is not running the tripple (sic) option and Heeke listened.

Joe Robinson too. Reports were he wanted to return to Arizona to coach Special Teams again, but RichRod did not want a dedicated Special Teams coach.
If you think Heeke listened to Tate you need dig deeper into things
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

PHXCATS wrote:
Merkin wrote:

If you think Heeke listened to Tate you need dig deeper into things
Heeke said he talked to Tate about the head coach hiring.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/278 ... n-the-ncaa" target="_blank
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Irish27 wrote:Sumlin is not going anywhere. How can you ask the boosters for more money to fire Sumlin after only two years and think the next guy will be the answer? If anyone is going to lose their job, I am guessing it would be Heeke.

The one hire that needs to happen is bringing back Joe Salave'a. They might have to spend more than they want, but it has to be done. It would be a little easier to get him if Oregon loses one more game before the bowl season begins. ;)
If I'm a booster I'm not giving a fucking dime to help this regime and certainly not to bring in an alum with a ridiculously steep uphill job to conquer. The quicker this regime ends the better for every one.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

DrWildcat wrote:
cordera89 wrote:You fools, Ask this question.

Its funny that you think Tate is/was a good QB. Maybe he was good 2 years ago when he played RB but he was never a legit QB. Beside, he is scared to get hit now so he would probably even suck in the RR offense at this point.

RR got us into this mess with his horrible recruiting and so far Sumlin has done nothing to fix it.
first of all, what horrible recruiting? UA under him his recruiting was nothing more than early to mid 40s in recruiting in 6 years. Again UA football is not recruiting power or a recruiting destination.

Second smartass Where would UA be under him in 2018 and 2019 with Tate at QB? UA would be somewhere between 8-9 wins at best not two straight losing season? Maybe a second south division or a second PAC title game at best.

Your only argument is, RR put UA in mess? Sumlin put UA in this mess of his horrible coaching.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Cant fire Sumlin because UA does not have the money. When you dont go to games you hurt the finances of UA in multiple ways
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Please shut up.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

scumdevils86 wrote:Please shut up.
Why are you so defensive about the truth and so obsessed with me

I can't shut up, I'm one of the worst so-called fans ever, thus why I made up a story about Miller.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Please, please eat at Chile's!
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Longhorned wrote:Please, please eat at Chile's!

:lol:
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
KingG

Post by KingG »

PHXCATS wrote:Cant fire Sumlin because UA does not have the money. When you dont go to games you hurt the finances of UA in multiple ways
100% right, and it sucks because I don’t think Sumlin can win here. But we’ll be stuck with him for at least another season.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

...what has the UA done to deserve my money for football tickets lately?

scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Correct, nothing has happened in 5 years to deserve a penny of my money.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

PHXCATS wrote:Cant fire Sumlin because UA does not have the money. When you dont go to games you hurt the finances of UA in multiple ways
The bottom line is the bottom line - damaged income is the quickest way to end a coach's usefulness...

... Might as well be "UArizona", since no one will care before long!
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

The Athletic Department financially is in deep deep shit. The year after year under performing football program has taken its toll and fans parting with their money is only going to get harder for everyone and everything in the economy.

Sean Miller is going to have to finally perform in March and have a couple of consistent deep runs to suspend the tide money wise.

I would not be surprised at all to hear a news release of the Stadium West-side rebuild being put on hold indefinitely. The days of what few big donors we have funding this ride are up.

Drastic moves and potential life changing cuts are in out future.

The crappy, under-performing football program being papered over are up. It doesn't pay the bills and hasn't in a longtime.
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

BTW, this is much bigger than Kevin Sumlin. Sumlin didn't create this financial shit show vortex and he's not likely to correct it either.
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

You know you’re being trolled when the Arizona Republic runs a story about a rumor of Todd Graham replacing Sumlin.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Gladiator Cat wrote: Sean Miller is going to have to finally perform in March and have a couple of consistent deep runs to suspend the tide money wise.
I recall reading there was a lot of friction in the AD when Lute had to also carry the AD due to issues with the football program.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Merkin wrote:
Gladiator Cat wrote: Sean Miller is going to have to finally perform in March and have a couple of consistent deep runs to suspend the tide money wise.
I recall reading there was a lot of friction in the AD when Lute had to also carry the AD due to issues with the football program.
Well so far with the number of tickets available for the game tomorrow it looks like things are going to get very ugly financially. But hey at least all the fair weather fans feel justified
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Why don't you buy them all then? Or did you gamble away your last Popeye's paycheck?
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

scumdevils86 wrote:Why don't you buy them all then? Or did you gamble away your last Popeye's paycheck?

You are so pathetic and obsessed with me.

I tell you what, you come down and say half the stuff to my face that you say on here, I won't post here for 6 months. I wont do anything to you except give you respect for not being the keyboard warrior I know that you are. I will tell you where I will be for the Utah game before so that you will have plenty of time to do so. Oh wait I'm lying like I did about Miller. too bad

Hopefully the walkup market will be good and people will buy from the ticket office and not the scalpers on Wednesday

And for the record, I bet a few games a week and I bet $5-$10 each game. So you can stop your obsession and you feeling you are better than me. And I also donate tickets all the time to the military (this is as true as my made up Miller story).
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

What’s the big deal about betting. I bet 20 games a week at $50 a pop. I am 106-94 year to date so a very small profit. I have bet against AZ including this past week.

Phxcats is a good passionate fan. We disagree on blind loyalty but he is a great guy.
Last edited by azcat49 on Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Gladiator Cat wrote:The Athletic Department financially is in deep deep shit. The year after year under performing football program has taken its toll and fans parting with their money is only going to get harder for everyone and everything in the economy.

Sean Miller is going to have to finally perform in March and have a couple of consistent deep runs to suspend the tide money wise.

I would not be surprised at all to hear a news release of the Stadium West-side rebuild being put on hold indefinitely. The days of what few big donors we have funding this ride are up.

Drastic moves and potential life changing cuts are in out future.

The crappy, under-performing football program being papered over are up. It doesn't pay the bills and hasn't in a longtime.
The westside renovation will happen regardless if we get $0 from donors or $239749237432743279 dollars. There's more than one way to skin a cat in regards to funding things and yes that includes going knee deep in debt.

The money issue will remain a money issue though until Arizona gets a big donor that really cares about football. At least basketball will always have its money though.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

Few thoughts.

We won't be able to fire him. Simply don't have the money. Fired RR a year too early, (which is well documented now it was for wins and losses and not Melissa) and paid the buy out. Plus all the other sport lawsuits. Oof.

Yes, RR did not recruit well. But bottom line is he did better with those shitty recruits. It's a coach's job to coach up the players you have. Plain and simple. Sumlin hasn't recruited well either? We going to do this charade for the next coach too?

As for Joe Robinson, correct me if I'm wrong but that was before the ninth full time assistant was added correct? That makes it a little more understandable. Still frustrating, but a little better.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

True about Joe Rob, but other schools have done it with a full time ST coach.
ChooChooCat wrote: The westside renovation will happen regardless if we get $0 from donors or $239749237432743279 dollars. There's more than one way to skin a cat in regards to funding things and yes that includes going knee deep in debt.
I imagine Cal has some major regrets about their debt issue with their foolish stadium and its financing.

And probably why they are on top of the list in getting Larry Scott fired since they were counting on actually getting real monies from the PAC to fund the stadium.
Last edited by Merkin on Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

btfd16 wrote:Sumlin hasn't recruited well either? We going to do this charade for the next coach too?
That's why you hire a cheap up and comer and not a retread that excepts a certain amount of money based on their past successes and such.

Oregon State hired an up and comer for $1.9 million a year and had more money to pay their assistants. Arizona will owe Kevin Sumlin $3.5 million per year over the next 3 years and won't have as much money for its assistant pool. Oregon State is now outperforming and recruiting Arizona. This isn't fucking hard. Stop hiring retreads. We're an up and comer coaching spot and nothing more. Until we get a big time booster in the sport of football we need to stop pretending.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
btfd16 wrote:Sumlin hasn't recruited well either? We going to do this charade for the next coach too?
That's why you hire a cheap up and comer and not a retread that excepts a certain amount of money based on their past successes and such.

Oregon State hired an up and comer for $1.9 million a year and had more money to pay their assistants. Arizona will owe Kevin Sumlin $3.5 million per year over the next 3 years and won't have as much money for its assistant pool. Oregon State is now outperforming and recruiting Arizona. This isn't fucking hard. Stop hiring retreads. We're an up and comer coaching spot and nothing more. Until we get a big time booster in the sport of football we need to stop pretending.
Yup. Not hard at all. I have hoped since Stoops we'd hire some young and motivated coach from a smaller school with proven success.