DC Hot Board

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

azgreg

DC Hot Board

Post by azgreg »

Alrighty then, here we go.

Who's on the board? Who do we have a legitimate shot at?

I think the realistic pool will come from current G5 DC's and current P5 position coaches. The exception would be P5 DC's of fired coaches such as Ryan Walters of Missouri.
azcat49

Re: DC Hot Board

Post by azcat49 »

I thought the D looked better under Cecil. Why would any good DC take a job under Sumlin as he is on life support. Elevate Chuck
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Can Chuck recruit, or does he even want to? That's a huge portion of your job and some don't want to do it.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

True Merkin and I do not know if he does. Still I think we looked better. I thought Oregon and Utah would lay a 50 spot on us easy
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

From those articles in Sumlin thread it looks like they will be searching for a new DC
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

Church Cecil looks better than Yates but I wouldn’t make that the standard for Arizona defense.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

Hire Joe Salave'a. He might not have the experience, but he will be hungry. I would also try and get Antonio Pierce. Maybe some of his recruits would follow him.
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Chuck has been marginally better but he's done nothing to show he should have the job
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Joe makes $550K a year. Yates made $560K so a substantial raise would be in order for Joe to leave a successful program to end up on a bottom feeder where the entire staff may be fired next year. Joe was already not retained by the UA already under RichRod.

Someone posted on Facebook in Arizona Football Chat that Sumlin was forced to promote Cecil against his wishes, and will not retain him for next season.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Who the fuck would want the job?

If Arizona approached me, I’d want an assurance I would be named interim coach if Sumlin is fired mid-season, a guarantee of at least an interview for the head job after he’s fired, and a buyout if I’m not retained by the next coach. And even then, you’d have to pay me a top-10 salary.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I still wonder who would take this job knowing Sumlin is one bad year from getting fired. I am sure there might be better college candidates then Chuck but who In their right mind would take a lame duck position. My only thought would be a guy who wants to audition in that time
Last edited by azcat49 on Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Who fucking cares?
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Yea no one remotely talented will take the job. So yea, who cares?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

You can get a good/great DC if yours just retired or took a head job and left the cupboard full and a tradition of excellence.

That ain’t us.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

One vast improvement is we had 10 sacks in chuck’s 4 games after having just 7 through 8 games
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Merkin wrote:Joe makes $550K a year. Yates made $560K so a substantial raise would be in order for Joe to leave a successful program to end up on a bottom feeder where the entire staff may be fired next year. Joe was already not retained by the UA already under RichRod.

Someone posted on Facebook in Arizona Football Chat that Sumlin was forced to promote Cecil against his wishes, and will not retain him for next season.
I've read that more money for the DC has been approved.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Chicat wrote:Who the fuck would want the job?

If Arizona approached me, I’d want an assurance I would be named interim coach if Sumlin is fired mid-season, a guarantee of at least an interview for the head job after he’s fired, and a buyout if I’m not retained by the next coach. And even then, you’d have to pay me a top-10 salary.
Yeah but Heeke would be threatened by such a bold offer (which would be totally appropriate for a hungry young up and comer looking to prove himself), dismiss it, and then cry to his mommy about the big meanies at UArizona who would make it all better over a glass of warm ovaltine.

Then he’d get a raise and another extension.

Good think ESPN happened to further wed miller to Arizona otherwise we’d have this loser looking for a BB replacement too.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Well considering Sumlin fired 3 guys he hired his track record of hiring proven assistants is suspect at best. Good luck to him I guessing
Last edited by azcat49 on Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Chicat wrote:You can get a good/great DC if yours just retired or took a head job and left the cupboard full and a tradition of excellence.

That ain’t us.
It'd be possible to attract a decent DC if the AD wasn't so inept that the fact he was looking at shitcanning the head coach wasn't public knowledge now. I mean seriously no one even decent would remotely touch this job knowing the lack of talent along with the fact the AD is literally stuck with the head coach, so job security is fucking NIL.

So stupid. So inept. We willingly gave this moron another year and more money and no one can fucking comprehend why.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

ChooChooCat wrote:It'd be possible to attract a decent DC if the AD wasn't so inept that the fact he was looking at shitcanning the head coach wasn't public knowledge now. I mean seriously no one even decent would remotely touch this job knowing the lack of talent along with the fact the AD is literally stuck with the head coach, so job security is fucking NIL.

So stupid. So inept. We willingly gave this moron another year and more money and no one can fucking comprehend why.
I like your optimism.
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

The only way you're going to be able to get any DC that is a "proven" winner in this clusterfuck of a program is to be willing to pay around minimum $700,000 and make him the Associate Head Coach from day one as a minimum.

This gaggle of ill-prepared goofballs in the Athletic Department that has shown zero leadership will very likely have to go to the extreme and promise in writing that the new DC will be the replacement as HC when KS moves on or steps down.

That's how fucked we are as a football program.

Robbins and Heeke, are going to have to bring the cash and promise the moon and stars to get a program changing coach in here.

Anything else is just another transition to the same old tired shitshow that the ticket buying public has now said NO MORE. There you go folks, anything less than big-boy money and this status quo turd rolls on!

Whats about to unfold will not only have Sumlin on the hottest seat known, Robbins and Heeke's seats will be melting too.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Charlie Strong just got fired at South Florida in case we want to go the sad sack retread route (which, let’s face it, may be the only option).
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

One thing the ABOR put in for Sumlin and Edwards that if they get fired, they will actually have to look for work to mitigate what the UA and ASU has to pay them. Whatever their new salary is, the payout will be that much left.

Apparently paying out $14M(?) to RichRod and Todd Graham with chance of collecting any of that back taught them a lesson.

Charlie Strong has DC experience. He may work for peanuts.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

Chicat wrote:Charlie Strong just got fired at South Florida in case we want to go the sad sack retread route (which, let’s face it, may be the only option).
I was looking at the top scoring defenses this year and the only successful defensive Coordinators that I would see coming to Arizona are the MWC/Sunbelt level of coach.

So, it’s a similar head coach question. Do you want a hungry you don’t DC with less experience or a Older (Lilly recently tired and getting paid) DC that might not be an aggressive recruiter but has experience?
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

azcat49 wrote:One vast improvement is we had 10 sacks in chuck’s 4 games after having just 7 through 8 games
I'd promote chuck to full time dc assuming he will go hit recruiting hard. if not then let him go.

Not even because I thought he did a better job than yates, but because I don't see us getting anyone decent to come in and coach a team with this little talent and a lame duck head coach that everyone thinks is getting fired after next year.

Keep chuck at a low price, see if he can improve the D more next year, and then when sumlin is let go the new head coach can hire whomever he wants.

no new dc is going to fix our lack of talent in one off season
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

OSUCat wrote:
Chicat wrote:Charlie Strong just got fired at South Florida in case we want to go the sad sack retread route (which, let’s face it, may be the only option).
I was looking at the top scoring defenses this year and the only successful defensive Coordinators that I would see coming to Arizona are the MWC/Sunbelt level of coach.

So, it’s a similar head coach question. Do you want a hungry you don’t DC with less experience or a Older (Lilly recently tired and getting paid) DC that might not be an aggressive recruiter but has experience?
Strong at least recruited Texas and Florida. What do we have to lose?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

:lol:

Cats could get Clay Helton too as OC!
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Chicat wrote:
OSUCat wrote:

Strong at least recruited Texas and Florida. What do we have to lose?

Strong as DC sounds solid. When Sumlin gets fired half way into next season we have a coach who would have experience for the rest of the year. Would he take it though?
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

PieceOfMeat wrote:
azcat49 wrote:One vast improvement is we had 10 sacks in chuck’s 4 games after having just 7 through 8 games
I'd promote chuck to full time dc assuming he will go hit recruiting hard. if not then let him go.

Not even because I thought he did a better job than yates, but because I don't see us getting anyone decent to come in and coach a team with this little talent and a lame duck head coach that everyone thinks is getting fired after next year.

Keep chuck at a low price, see if he can improve the D more next year, and then when sumlin is let go the new head coach can hire whomever he wants.

no new dc is going to fix our lack of talent in one off season
That sounds way too logical for this school. We clearly need to throw all our money at a crazy hire in hopes Heeke doesn't have to make the big boy decision of firing Sumlin.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Texas fired their DC
Tony Orlando and Dawn, or something like that.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I hope we take a look at Zach Arnett from SDSU.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

Not Chuck Cecil. I'm sorry but idc if you love the school.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

I’m not pushing for Cecil, but why are you against him?

The guy an morning 1490 radio ( I think he is PA announcer for B-BALL Games) suggested Mckinryre. Former CO coach and recently released DC at Miss St (or Ole Miss).
MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

Any chance someone like Ron Rivera (former Panthers coach) would come coach college defense for someone like Arizona? He is a Pac 10 Alum playing at Cal back in the early 80s. He would have to recruit though, something he hasn't done before.
No Bandwagon Here! Always a Cat!
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

MountainCat wrote:Any chance someone like Ron Rivera (former Panthers coach) would come coach college defense for someone like Arizona? He is a Pac 10 Alum playing at Cal back in the early 80s. He would have to recruit though, something he hasn't done before.
That would be quite the demotion. I don’t see it happening.

I think I want a booster to throw an ungodly amount of money under the table at Antonio Pierce. Bring him home please.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

That would be cool.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Antonio Pierce hates Arizona.... doesn't he?
prh

Post by prh »

Charlie Strong would be interesting, but I feel pretty strongly against hiring anyone who's also getting paid by another school.

We thought Sumlin would be hungry to prove he's a good coach. Instead, he's content to not do shit and collect paychecks in every direction.

Up and coming guys for me now
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Alieberman wrote:Antonio Pierce hates Arizona.... doesn't he?
Supposedly, but that also supposedly goes back 4 coaches and 2 ADs. If he’s still holding a grudge, that’s on him.
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

Chicat wrote:
MountainCat wrote:Any chance someone like Ron Rivera (former Panthers coach) would come coach college defense for someone like Arizona? He is a Pac 10 Alum playing at Cal back in the early 80s. He would have to recruit though, something he hasn't done before.
That would be quite the demotion. I don’t see it happening.

I think I want a booster to throw an ungodly amount of money under the table at Antonio Pierce. Bring him home please.
Marvin Lewis is at ASU. Not that far of a stretch to think about Rivera
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

"Hot board"

Is that a common term in such situations?

azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Would like Deruyter from that list but I think Stewart might end up being the guy Just guessing of course
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

azcat49 wrote:Would like Deruyter from that list but I think Stewart might end up being the guy Just guessing of course
In my opinion the worst option there is Chaviz so it's obvious he'll be the guy.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

Formerly Lynx Rufus.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Hoke would DEFINITELY need some of those guarantees I mentioned.
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

Interesting on Hoke. I just imaging him getting a shot at HC once Sumlin is fired. Not saying that would happen, it would just make me laugh...2 former Michigan HCs going on to be HC at Arizona.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Hoke has received conference coach-of-the-year recognition in three different leagues as a head coach

That's Mackovic territory!

Same with being fired multiple times.

But my actual only concern is his age, frickin' 61 years old. Does he have the energy to recruit?
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

Merkin wrote:Hoke has received conference coach-of-the-year recognition in three different leagues as a head coach

That's Mackovic territory!

Same with being fired multiple times.

But my actual only concern is his age, frickin' 61 years old. Does he have the energy to recruit?
Hoke is 61?!?! He actually doesn't look bad at all for 61.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Merkin wrote:"Hot board"

Is that a common term in such situations?

Scheer is obviously copying us.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I misread this title as "DC Hot Broad."

I thought it was a little bit of a dated, sexist term, but honestly, I was interested to see her. If she's attractive, she'd have to be a better recruiter than Casteel, and by default, she'd be a better X and O person than Yates.

I wasn't ready for that pic of Brady Hoke, I can tell you that.