New Coach Hot Board

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Alieberman

Re: New Coach Hot Board

Post by Alieberman »

I don’t know anything about Hill... but that resume sounds like exactly like the type of coach we should be looking for

Young, energetic and successful
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

cordera89 wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 7:00 am
ASUHATER! wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:49 pm
cordera89 wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:36 pm
TatetheGreat wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:17 pm
And who in the blue hell is He?
6 year head coach of Weber ST who has a 47-29 record and 3 straight trips to the playoffs and 3 straight 10+ win seasons and made the national semifinals last year. Spent 12 years as an assistant coach under Whittingham at Utah before that.
So this is who UA might consider? FCS level coach? :lol: :lol: :lol: seriously is this best we can do on searching for a coach.
Jesus i would take Napier or Sarkisian or Harsin as HC.
To me he is an infinitely better hire than Sark. It's not even close.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Captain Obvious

Post by Captain Obvious »

Any up and coming coach should avoid Arizona like it's COVID-19. Nothing but a career killing no win situation with horrible side effects and a slim likelihood of recovery. If we're lucky enough to find a coach who can make the most of average at best players and emphasize defense maybe we have a shot at being fantastically average. The worst is yet to come and to be honest I don't see it getting much better for at least 3-5 more years. We've become the equivalent of Kansas in college football. Rock bottom and still finding new ways to drop. It's always been a challenge to be an Arizona football fan but I'm still dumb enough to remain one. I have no idea why but that will never change.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Sark, beyond his past baggage which reportedly he has moved past, has one glaring red flag for me.

I don’t think he can coach up a team with minimal talent and turn them into winners based on scheme, technique, and desire. For one thing, he’s never had to. The “worst” team he’s coached is Washington and while Willingham did really poorly, the talent level didn’t fall off all that much.

Sark would be taking over the ultimate “bare cupboard” here. I don’t know that he can turn around our results and then bring in talent based on that turnaround. Sark feels like a guy who needs the talent first. And let’s be honest, he hasn’t ever posted a double digit win season even with talented squads.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

I don't see how you can go from a trying to recover alcoholic to a recovered (for now) alcoholic. But then again, it's Heeke and Robbins.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Hill definitely fields a competitive team. Last season Weber State lost to SDSU 6-0 and Nevada 19-13. Don't think the UA would come that close.

Since Hill will have FCS talent next year at UA, a good fit.
Last edited by Merkin on Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

It is honestly so hard to predict anything at this point or now what the right kind of fit would be. We are a bare cupboard pretty much and would be starting from negative territory. No matter who we hire I can't imagine next season being much better than this one. I just hope we fall into a choice that at least gives us hope of improvement. But like someone else said I expect us to be just awful for at least 3 to 5 more years.
prh

Post by prh »

Bonus with Hill is that he could start right away. Not a decider but certainly a nice bonus.
prh

Post by prh »

Another thing- with football getting a free year of eligibility, I would think the transfer market would be really interesting in the middle tier. We’ve seen this already with spring sports which are a year ahead. Get someone in right now, start fixing the culture, and hit the transfer world hard
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Alieberman wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:22 am I don’t know anything about Hill... but that resume sounds like exactly like the type of coach we should be looking for

Young, energetic and successful
agree with this.

no idea who he was before being mentioned in this thread, but his credentials and everything else about him seem to be like exactly what we should be looking for.

so of course we won't go after him, because we'll probably hire a retread instead (yeah I have no faith in the guys in control of this lol)
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

I think I read that the OC from Florida State had reached out to Heeke about the job. Is that true and if so do you all think its just a ploy on his part to get more money from the school he's already at? If he's legitimate, does anyone know anything about him?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

tgrumpy2 wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:54 am I think I read that the OC from Florida State had reached out to Heeke about the job. Is that true and if so do you all think its just a ploy on his part to get more money from the school he's already at? If he's legitimate, does anyone know anything about him?
His resume is real thin. I mean, I like “young and up & coming” but carrying Mike Norvell’s bags through an airport for a couple of years doesn’t count.

I think Norvell might have told him to float his own name to get a raise or maybe he did it on his own to get his name out there for other jobs.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Macho Grande

Post by Macho Grande »

Hill is the most intriguing of the realistic names so far.

In re UofA wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:52 pm The coaching change has brought me back after a long long break.

Same. Was never sold on the idea of Sumlin being the "home run" hire that so many seemed to think he would be. His coaching has always been suspect, which is why A&M fans were so ecstatic to see him go. And expecting him to come here and maintain the same level of recruiting he had in Texas was always a pipe dream.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

Sounds like Scheer' thinks Brennan is the front runner.
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

Unpopular opinion: if the cupboard is truly bare, then why were they competitive (or should have won) against the LA schools? Either the coaching was better than assumed (unlikely) or the talent is better than assumed. I don’t see a third option.
LBdCactus

Post by LBdCactus »

ByJoveByJingle wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:15 am Unpopular opinion: if the cupboard is truly bare, then why were they competitive (or should have won) against the LA schools? Either the coaching was better than assumed (unlikely) or the talent is better than assumed. I don’t see a third option.
LA schools are garbage is your third option, I believe.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Irish27 wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:13 am Sounds like Scheer' thinks Brennan is the front runner.
His overall record doesn’t jump off the page, but he ticks off some of the other criteria I think we should prioritize.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

LBdCactus wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:22 am
ByJoveByJingle wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:15 am Unpopular opinion: if the cupboard is truly bare, then why were they competitive (or should have won) against the LA schools? Either the coaching was better than assumed (unlikely) or the talent is better than assumed. I don’t see a third option.

Option 4 - Clay Helton and Chip Kelly are garbage
-JB
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Chicat wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:23 am
Irish27 wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:13 am Sounds like Scheer' thinks Brennan is the front runner.
His overall record doesn’t jump off the page, but he ticks off some of the other criteria I think we should prioritize.
I’m lazy and don’t feel like during the research myself. Who is he and boxes does he check?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

tgrumpy2 wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:54 am I think I read that the OC from Florida State had reached out to Heeke about the job. Is that true and if so do you all think its just a ploy on his part to get more money from the school he's already at? If he's legitimate, does anyone know anything about him?
He went to and coached at ASU.

Hard pass.
-JB
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Granting that I really don't know much at all about either candidate (and nothing before last night/today)........ Hill would excite me more than Brennan or the other coaches in the list.

here's a twitter post about brennan's record:
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Alieberman wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:30 am
Chicat wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:23 am
I’m lazy and don’t feel like during the research myself. Who is he and boxes does he check?
He was a graduate assistant at Arizona so that would seem to be something that would placate some of our more vocal and prominent football alums. Also seems to have Poly connections from some time in Hawaii as well as overall California recruiting connections. He’s young and hungry and a Tomey disciple.
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

UAEebs86 wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:24 am
LBdCactus wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:22 am

Option 4 - Clay Helton and Chip Kelly are garbage
I mean I don’t disagree with you. But Chip Kelly coached in an NC championship and somehow Clay Helton has avoided being fired from one of the 3 premier football programs in the country. On the other hand, if they are garbage and we competed with them with a garbage head coach, then a decent head coach should work wonders.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Another name that has popped up is Jeff Choate.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

If Bryan Harsin, Antonio Pierce, and Josh Heupel are definitely not going to happen, Jay Hill is my clear #1 preference.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Chicat wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:46 am If Bryan Harsin, Antonio Pierce, and Josh Heupel are definitely not going to happen, Jay Hill is my clear #1 preference.
Agreed
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

One thing that these coaching candidates all know that UA may be a career killer, outside of a terrible place to recruit to.

Young: Became head coach at Purdue and eventually put in the college football HOF
Mason: Fired due to slush fund, then out of football.
Smith: Became head coach at USC then fired, became HC at Mizzou and fired
Tomey: quit in lieu of being fired, and went to SJSU as HC where he retired after a 2-10 season
Mackovic: never had another head coaching position in college ball.
Stoops: never had another head coaching position in college ball.
RichRod: never had another head coaching position in college ball.
Sumlin: will never have another head coaching position in college ball.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

Chicat wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:46 am Sark, beyond his past baggage which reportedly he has moved past, has one glaring red flag for me.

I don’t think he can coach up a team with minimal talent and turn them into winners based on scheme, technique, and desire. For one thing, he’s never had to. The “worst” team he’s coached is Washington and while Willingham did really poorly, the talent level didn’t fall off all that much.

Sark would be taking over the ultimate “bare cupboard” here. I don’t know that he can turn around our results and then bring in talent based on that turnaround. Sark feels like a guy who needs the talent first. And let’s be honest, he hasn’t ever posted a double digit win season even with talented squads.
If Sark is able to get Washington out of the gutter, Then he can get UA out of the shitbag as well if offer the job.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

That's gotta change some time Merk.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Sark turned down Colorado this year. Why would he accept Arizona? I imagine the pressures of being a HC contributed to his drinking problem, as with Sumlin and RichRod. For a matter of his health, he should stay OC at the best program in the nation.
azgreg wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:03 am That's gotta change some time Merk.

Probably not in my lifetime. :)

UA has never won an outright conference title since the 1940's Border Conference. No WAC titles, and a single shared PAC one with no Rose Bowl trip.

UA had not put a QB in the NFL during the entire PAC era until Nick Foles came along.
Last edited by Merkin on Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

cordera89 wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:02 am
Chicat wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:46 am Sark, beyond his past baggage which reportedly he has moved past, has one glaring red flag for me.

If Sark is able to get Washington out of the gutter, Then he can get UA out of the shitbag as well if offer the job.
They weren’t in “the gutter”. Not like we are.

Be better Cordy.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

Merkin wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:01 am One thing that these coaching candidates all know that UA may be a career killer, outside of a terrible place to recruit to.

Young: Became head coach at Purdue and eventually put in the college football HOF
Mason: Fired due to slush fund, then out of football.
Smith: Became head coach at USC then fired, became HC at Mizzou and fired
Tomey: quit in lieu of being fired, and went to SJSU as HC where he retired after a 2-10 season
Mackovic: never had another head coaching position in college ball.
Stoops: never had another head coaching position in college ball.
RichRod: never had another head coaching position in college ball.
Sumlin: will never have another head coaching position in college ball.
Do you honestly think that UA is career killer? I dont think this football program is terrible place to win or recruit.

If young, smith, tomey, stoop and RR were able to come to place like Arizona and won football games and recruit was not issue.

Mackovic and Sumlin are in the same boat

But never less there no such as a school that is a career killer.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

Chicat wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:09 am

Be better Cordy.
UA is in the same position as 2008 Washington team

I dont think UA in bad position because you and everyone on this board think We have not talent to compete.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I don't think there's a chance in hell Sark would accept an Arizona offer.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

azgreg wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:30 am I don't think there's a chance in hell Sark would accept an Arizona offer.

Good.

So far, from what I've seen,(mostly here) seems like Hill should be given a hard look. Yes. Its a big step up, but he's been with big programs and should know what it takes.

On another note, Fickell would be good. But doubt we can pay him enough.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

cordera89 wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:21 am
Chicat wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:09 am

Be better Cordy.
UA is in the same position as 2008 Washington team

I dont think UA in bad position because you and everyone on this board think We have not talent to compete.
:lol:
TheCatInTheHat

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

I agree with those who say the decision-makers shouldn't listen to the bleat of former players for an alum or former ass't coach here any more than they should have listened to Tate regarding Niumatalolo or Yates. Just bring in a hungry guy who hasn't been fired, who's proven he will work his ass off, and who hates losing. This thing of assuming somebody's profile will deliver a recruiting pipeline never works out. You've got to hustle and dig and work endlessly. And as for avoiding "stepping stone" coaches, I'd say if somebody can have enough success in a short time to move up from here, then he's done a good job and leaves the situation better than he found it. I think when you try to find somebody who would view this as their "desination coaching job" so you don't have to do anything for the next 10-15 years, you wind up with somebody complacent who punches a clock. There needs to be urgency to win now. And as for the analysis or list of names put out by those who promote fan website content, I wouldn't put much, if any, stock in it.
cerec_cat

Post by cerec_cat »

What about the head coach of Troy university that we were looking at during the last search?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

TheCatInTheHat wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 12:19 pmAnd as for the analysis or list of names put out by those who promote fan website content, I wouldn't put much, if any, stock in it.
Why not? It’s literally their job to get info on these things.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

UALoco

Post by UALoco »

Why wouldn't Joe want to be a head coach here?
TheGreatCatsby

Post by TheGreatCatsby »

Seems like if Harsin and Pierce out, then it's either Brennan or Salave'a, then Hill. Heeke probably did have the right initial inclination last time at this, but got talked out of last minute, so this time stick to his guns. Imagine if Brennan goes undefeated this year, then has an 8-10 win season next year...he'd become hot property if he isn't already for all these teams now looking for a new head coach. His record first two years was bad, but in the years before he was hired it was 4 years of muck under Caragher. Brennan took over a program with one good season in the prior 10 years.

Salave'a could be an absolute monster recruiter, but he'll need to put together a solid list of people and how he'll set up his organization to get the job. He'll have the hunger and could last a long time. Maybe down the road, when he does have some head coaching job experience. But I could go for him now. If we had an AD who has been here for like 20 years and had equity to cash in, we'd be more likely do it. Joe hopefully here or somewhere else soon gets some head coaching experience, kind of like how Damon Stoudamire has gotten better each year at Pacific. Get an alumni hire right, like Adia Barnes, you hit an absolute homerun on so many levels.

But with all the whirlwind, Heeke is really under pressure to regain booster & fan support and bring in a coach with experience turning around a program. Brennan appears to be stronger on that front and has strong program ties with Tomey. Kenny Dillingham would be an out of the box crazy hire I could get behind if not only for what a wild ride that would be. Our own 30 year old Sean McVay type, sink or swim, but he'll likely get an East Coast job here soon.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Malzahn checks all the boxes. Recently fired at a big time program. Well, mainly that one box.
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

Now just my opinion but I'm not sure Big Joe wants to be a head coach. He has a good gig up there in the Northwest and I think all his kids are in high school and he's pretty stable. Not sure he'd even entertain an offer as an assistant. As far as that guy from Alabama, I personally don't think we need his baggage, especially after what the athletic department has endured the past few years. Neuheisel...... oh god no. A lot of these other coaches I don't know much about and I think any presumptions at this point on who is the leading candidate is somewhat foolish. Has the job even been posted yet? While I'm here, what does anyone think of talking whoever we hire into offering Jay Dobyns a position coaching job. He is currently at Tanque Verde High School and he is one powerful motivator and I'm guessing would be a dynamic recruiter and he definitely has the resume.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

When thinking about Hill and his coaching path maybe look at Jim Tressel's path as well.

Tressel:
1975–1978 Akron (GA)
1979–1980 Miami (OH) (QB/WR)
1981–1982 Syracuse (QB)
1983 Ohio State (QB/WR)
1984–1985 Ohio State (QB/RB/WR)
1986–2000 Youngstown State
2001–2010 Ohio State

Hill:
2001–2003 Utah (GA)
2004 Utah (AA)
2005–2006 Utah (CB/co-STC)
2007–2009 Utah (TE/STC)
2010–2011 Utah (CB/STC)
2012 Utah (RB/STC)
2013 Utah (TE/STC)
2014–present Weber State

Not to dissimilar.
Sid

Post by Sid »

I’m on board with Jay Hill. Found a little write up on Jay from KSL.com

The recently named FCS regional Coach of the Year has learned from coaches like Ron McBride, Urban Meyer, and Kyle Whittingham. While Hill soaked up all the knowledge he could from those three, it was the knowledge that “this is about the players” as something he values the most.

“It’s all about the players and if you take care of them, then they usually go out there and perform well on game day,” Hill said. “You got to recruit good people, both as coaches and players. Discipline, toughness, that’s what this game is all about. There’s all kinds of lessons along the way, but those are the things that you really hang your hat on.”

The players he’s recruited describe Hill as someone who is accountable, good at observing, and someone who lives his life the right way on and off the football field.

“When he sees something going on with the team, he makes sure to correct it, when he sees something going on on the field, he makes sure to see it correct it and move on,” senior linebacker Auston Tesch said. “I think his ability to do that has spoken out since he’s been here. There were a lot of things going wrong when he first got here, and just his ability to see that and know how to correct it, it speaks for itself.”

Senior Jonah Williams added, “the players are accountable and the coaches you can see that their accountable to coach Hill, too. No one gets away with anything that’s unfair or undisciplined. Everyone is out to compete every day and there is a sense of accountability that I think floats around the program, and it forces everyone to be competitive. If you’re playing better than the guy in front of you, you’ll play in this program, so I’d just say accountability is the one trait that makes this program successful.”

The success of the program that Hill has helped build is just what he envisioned for himself when he got the call to be the Wildcats next head football coach. But there is still more that he wants to do, and that’s win a national championship.

“You want to coach at the highest level of where you’re at and that’s what it would take,” Hill said.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

The more I read about Hill, the more I like him. But I think he makes too much sense to end up getting the job. We'll probably get someone who makes more of a splash with the media....and end up with another retread

azgreg

Post by azgreg »